“Our wedding dreams come true!”

Royal West Indies Resort
Ranked #17 of 44 Hotels in Providenciales
Reviewed 8 October 2009

We chose this resort as our wedding location and we could not have selected a more perfect place. The staff was super helpful and great to my now husband and myself as well as our entire wedding party.
During our previous vistis to T&C and to the resort, we knew we were making the right choice with the RWI. The rooms are all perfectly kept and clean. The common areas, pool and restaurant are great and the atmosphere is very laid back.
If what you're looking for is a quite, relaxing hotel to sit back and enjoy some R&R, you can't go wrong with the Royal West Indies Resort!

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled with family
There are newer reviews for Royal West Indies Resort

Reviewed 29 September 2009

My wife and I spent a week at RWI in September. We loved just about everything at this resort. It is a small property with fewer amenities than some of its bigger competitors, but it was just what we were looking for. The grounds were immaculately maintained and the staff was friendly and helpful. The beach it RWI is beautiful and relaxing. We stayed in room 125 (Calabash Suite), a one-bedroom suite that we rented on VRBO and really enjoyed its location and amenities. As others have noted, don't bother to upgrade to an ocean view suite at RWI unless it is in building one, which is the only building that really offers views of Grace Bay. My one complaint with RWI is that the beach staff did not rig any of the Hobie Cats unless asked. It was not as easy or spontaneous to go for a sail as I would have liked. Other than that, RWI was everything we had hoped it would be.

Some other quick comments from our trip. Do rent a car for at least part of your stay. We used our car every day for trips to the IGA, sightseeing, and dinner. We had a very good experience with Grace Bay Car Rentals. Two restaurants we liked were Mango Reef (at RWI) and Shark Bites. One we didn't like was Bay Bistro. Others that we found okay but not great were Coco Bistro, Tiki Hut, Hemingway's and Baci.

Finally, if you're looking for gifts, try Mama's on Grace Bay Road. Her prices are as high as anybody's, but she is so entertaining you hardly care.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
3  Thank laslototh
Reviewed 20 August 2009

My wife and I just got back from our first trip to Turks and Caicos. We stayed at the Royal West Indies Resort in a Studio room. Rm# 314. Room contained a King bed, full referidg, microwave, bar size sink, TV etc. Shower/tub in bathroom. Porch had table and 4 chairs. We had a private patio with table and chairs. We were right across from the Mango Reef restaurant.
The first thing we noticed was how quiet it was. Even there there were 3 pools and a hot tub, the place was quiet and relaxing. WE could sit on the porch and watch people as it was semi private with the shrubary, but still had privacy. The gardeners, housekeepers, receptionists, and managers all treated us like we were the only guests they had. Very friendly and always asking what they could do to make out stay better. Awesome.
Turks and Caicos is pricy, but with the use of the hotel bicycle, I was able to ride to the store, pick up supplies and be bacl at tje hotel in 25 minutes. (not bad for a 60 yr old who had not been on a bicycle in 40+ years) My wife and I bout fixins for sandwiches and breakfasts and would dine out in the evening.
The beach had white powder sand. Some of the softest I have ever been on. beautiful. It was easy to walk to other restaurants by wazlking the beach as well. We would go down to the beach around 6:45 pm with cocktails in hand and sit at the tables and listen to the music from Club Med up the beach (awesome live entertainment) when they played for happy hour, and enjoy the sunsets, (and ther were a couple that were some of the best I have ever seen) always looking for the green flash (never saw it) as the sun set.
The we could walk to other restaurants up the beach or back to the Mango Reef (try their fantastic Pizza with Mango on it), for one night we walked up the street to the Coco Bistro (double awesome, pricy, but worth the expense and atmosphere, again treated like the only guests)
All extra activites can be arranced in the hotel lobby. I am a diver and arranged all 11 dives I did with Provo Divers, who picked me up and brought me back after awesome diving each day. My wife a non diver went horseback riding on the beach (somewhere else on the island) and to the conch farm. We went to see the glow worms one night as well.
My wife and I have traveled around the caribbean, mexico, and the pacific. I have 300+ dives around the world, and I would recommend the hotel, diving and all around experiences to all. We continue to try new places all the time, but this is the second place we have both said we would go back to in a heartbeat. (I would go back to Bonaire in a heartbeat as well)
If you are looking for a quiet place to relax, this is the place, WE saw small children there and there is a small pool for them, but we never heard them. All the people we saw and met while there was awesome as well.
We changed from Mexico to Turks and Caicos when we got to the travel agent, and never regretted it one bit. Pricy, but we had a great time.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
7  Thank akfishguide
Reviewed 4 August 2009

Recently, I stayed at Royal West Indies in July for 6 nights, Floor plans include studios or one and two bedrooms with kitchenette, washer/dryer and balonies. All units are owned and subleased to guests. Choices are Botanical or ocean view rooms . Restaurant and bar on site (ask for Ramone) he is funny and is the best server. The assistant manager (Eddie) has the skills to represent the property and demostrates his talent well. This is my 5th visit but the first stay here, everyone on the entire island is very friendly and love citizens from the states.

2  Thank buya40
Reviewed 23 July 2009

My wife and I just returned home from our honeymoon in TCI at the Royal West Indies. We stayed for 6 nights and the resort was very nice. These reviews were so helpful I got almost exactly what I expected in RWI when we arrived.

The Island:
My wife and I were overwhelmed by the beauty of Provo from the time we arrived to the time we flew back home. the beach on Providenciales was by far the most beautiful beach I've ever set foot on. I am more of a pool type of guy on beach vacations but I never went into the pool at RWI once during the entire trip. The ocean was simply amazing. As good as the pictures are it simply cannot compare to seeing it all fist hand.

The Action (or lack thereof):
Provo from all that we could tell, is a huge SCUBA diving destination. The fact that the 3rd largest reef in the world is located here is no doubt, the main reason. Neither my wife nor myself are SCUBA certified, and we didn't feel terribly comfortable with a "short" island lesson so we opted for snorkeling almost the entire time we were there (5 times total). However, we only went with a commercial group once and that was a great experience as well. We chose Caicos Dream tours at the suggestion of Tripadvisor and loved it. They picked us up on the beach in front of RWI. We snorkeled, dove for conch, and went to Iguana Island to clean and eat the conch for $90 per person. All in all a 3 hour trip (1:00p.m.-4:30 approx.) We rented a car on the 2nd day for $40 a day, I highly recommend it.. We were able to get off of the resort property and explore the island on our own. There are some great beaches within a 5 to 10 minute drive from RWI, that make the car rental worth it. You can get snorkel gear for free at RWI, so we did, and jumped in the Daihatsu Charade and hit the beach between the Coral Gardens and the Windsong Resort. There we spotted sea turtles near the reef just a few feet off the beach. There are a few more beaches to drive to for snorkeling but I had to mention the place we saw the turtles. It was awesome watching those guys. We tried 3 times to SNUBA but the people were all booked up most days and they told us they had to do less trips because of decreasing visibility. Next time we'll try and book that excursion first and we won't wait 3 days.

The Driving:
Be careful! You have to drive on the left side of the road but you'll get used to it pretty quickly. They also have very few stop signs they use what is called "roundabouts". Basically, a roundabout is a circle that you yield through when driving. Navigating these is nerve racking at first but also easy to get used to.

The Food:
The IGA everyone talks about is really called Graceway Gourmet. It's walking distance but it's about 3/4 of a mile walk, Avis rent a car is right across the street. They also have multiple car rental stores at the airport. Overpriced but still much better than dining out all the time. I paid about $24 for a 12-pack of Corona so $2 a beer isn't good for a grocery store but better than $4.50 at the Mango Reef Bar. Overall we paid more than at our local grocery but the ability to have some lunches and even dinners at the resort in our kitchen saved us a good bit of money. The restaurant at RWI is the Mango Reef, we only ate there once. It was good but there are so many great options right there in Grace Bay we ventured off quite a bit. We had lunch at the Mango Reef and had 2 appetizers, 2 entrees, 3 beers (Turks Head Lager) and a bottle of water for roughly $90.00. This was our first meal on the island and we'd soon find out that most things for sale on the island are far more expensive than in the US. We had lunch at Calico Jack's and like everything we had. We had conch salad, jerk chicken wings, and fried grouper. We had lunch at the Saltmills Diner and I had the best dish that I ate the whole trip here. Black beans, shrimp, scallops, fish, and conch sauteed with coconut milk over steamed rice. Yoshi's for sushi was good but I've had better in the states and the service was poor for us and the tables around us. Dinner at Coco Bistro was the overall the best dinner experience we had. Softshell Crab tempura and grilled mahi mahi that simply great. Caicos Cafe was only decent at best.

The resort:
I suggest renting a car so that you can get out and explore the island and not stuck waiting on shuttle or taxi service, although both are available. The room (#315) was nice and clean and exactly what I expected. We had wireless internet for the first 3 days but when the weekend came for some reason the connection was lost. The front desk offered to send someone to the room to "check it out" for us but I know my computer, it was their issue not mine. Their simply was no signal. On the same day the remote control for the TV went out. Not a big deal at all because TV is not a priority on TCI but when you want to watch you want a remote. The bed in the room was as bad as everyone says if not worse! My wife and I never really notice the beds when we travel but these were so unbearable that we slept on the pull out sofa for the last two nights. My wife never complains of poor sleep but she woke up everyday complaining and had soreness in her back, no kidding!

So we learned a few lessons along the way and are prepared for our return, whenever that may be. We loved the island, enjoyed almost all of the food, and had an adequate stay at the resort.

7  Thank revrip13
Reviewed 21 July 2009

My husband and I just got back from 8 nights at the Royal West Indies and we couldn't be happier with the hotel and the island! It was by far our most relaxing vacation ever and we definitely thought it was the best caribbean island we've been to. The water is so beautiful its almost indescribable. The staff at the hotel is super friendly and helpful. It is affordable and good value for money. The rooms are bright and clean. We had one of the smaller garden view studios that's equipped with a refrigerator, microwave and toaster and this was a really useful addition. The IGA is really only a mile away and with the free bicycles the hotel provides its and easy trip to get breakfast and lunch items. Some reviewers said the IGA doesn't have alcohol-this is completely untrue. We purchased wine, beer and rum there. We didn't seem to have a problem with the mattresses as other reviewers did but then we like a firmer mattress. Mango Reef is a very nice restaurant and has lovely staff! We also really enjoyed Coco Bistro which is set in a beautiful palm grove and has truly excellent food. Hemingway's was good but not overly memorable. We went to Grace's Cottage on our last night and enjoyed a truly lovely dinner. The setting was great and the food was outstanding. Its much quicker (and nicer) to walk down the beach if you are going to any of the Grace Bay hotel restaurants. We also took a snorkeling trip with Silver Deep (a big catamaran group trip that goes twice daily) and had a ton of fun. I'm not big into snorkeling, much to my despair, but had fun swimming in the great water and eating french conch salad. It was worth the $75. One last quick tip. Half way through our trip, my sunglasses broke. I was told by a lady we met at dinner that night who lives on Grace Bay that the Club Med store carries sunglasses, a wide selection of sunscreen, burn ointment, swimsuits, postcards and general merchandise. All at reasonable prices. It was a really helpful tip!

3  Thank sarahemh
Reviewed 19 July 2009

This was our first trip to TCI and RWI (7/5 to 7/12/09). We stayed in a garden view studio.

Room was nice, clean, and comfortable. The grounds are spotless, the landscaping is lush, the pools clean, and the beach area well managed. The hotel provides detergent for the washer, paper towels, coffee filters, coffee, and powdered creamer. Also included are an iron board and hair dryer. They have bikes with baskets, hobies, snorkel gear, and kayaks (all have time limits). There is wireless internet in the room and one pc in lobby. We brought a netbook so we could make calls back home using Skype which worked out really well. The in-room safe was big enough to hold the netbook but probably not a full-sized laptop. We had no problems with our incidentals bill -- a copy is left for review the night before check out. Also the front desk will call the night before to see you would like transportation arranged to the airport. Overall the property is very well managed and staffed.

The beach is amazing. The water is crystal clear, no rocks or debris on the bottom, no seaweed, and very warm. Make sure to bring a cheap floaty. The beach never seemed crowded but there was always a nice level of activity. The only people that approached us on the beach were the parasailing guy and the glow-worm tour guy. I’m not sure if you’re allowed to drink on the beach or not but everyone was. There is at least one staff member on the beach from 6 to 6.

The pools are very nice. The larger pool, next to the restaurant, is for everyone and has a small toddler area. The smaller “quite” pool area has the hot tub. I don’t know if the pools are heated but they felt like they were. Although the pools aren’t big they never seemed to be crowded or overrun with kids. We never had trouble getting a lounge chair. Drinking around the pool area seemed acceptable; no one said anything to us if we weren’t supposed to.

Out of convenience we ate mostly at the hotel restaurant, Mango Reef. Service, food, atmosphere, and value were good. You can expect to pay for two people about $85 for dinner and $35 for lunch (you can charge to room). They switch to the dinner menu at six so if you want to save a few dollars go a little early and order dinner off lunch menu. You can order snacks after six from the bar like pizza.

We also ate Somewhere’s ($35), a beach front café right near Coral Gardens, which we really liked and Anacaona. Anacaona is right next to RWI at the Grace Bay Club. It’s adult only and reservations are required. Men are supposed to wear a closed-toe shoe but my husband didn’t have any and got away with a sandal. It’s right on the beach and every night they light what seems like 100’s of tiki torches, very romantic. The food is expensive but worth it ($140, one drink each and an entrée).

The Ports of Call, which has a few restaurants, is within walking distance -- about 10/15 minutes by the beach. Its right across from the Seven Stars which has a beach access to Grace Bay Road -- although the access way is kind of creepy at night -- it gets dark early, about 7:45. Anything past the Seven Stars, like the Salt Mills Plaza and Danny Buoys, IMO would be too far to walk.

As most reviewers have mention the cost of food is high in TCI so you‘ll want to visit the grocery. The IGA is an easy bike ride. Prices you can expect - $4 for a 6-pack of soda; $6 for a box of cereal; $4 bag of chips; $7 for a 6-pack of Bud; $12 for a small bottle of Barefoot wine. If you plan to use a credit card bring your driver’s license and you must charge at least $25. The Fresh Bakery is practically at the entrance to the hotel and they have a nice selection of pastries, especially desserts, and they also make sandwiches to order.

My husband wanted to try bone fishing so we rented a car for one day from Grace Bay Rentals ($52 w/ins). You cannot fish from the shore on Grace Bay as it’s a national park. To purchase a fishing license you need to go the Turtle Cove Marina office which sells one-day licenses for $11 or a 30-day license ($?). The one-day license is only good for that day so if you buy it at 9am it expires at midnight. My husband fished at Flamingo Lake and at the Southside Marina area which is near the lake. Flamingo Lake shore line is mucky and brushy, there’s really no place to sit so it‘s probably best not to bring the family. Everything was easy to find just using the map you can get at the hotel.

Our only other self-guided excursion was snorkeling at the reef at Coral Gardens. We walked there from the hotel, it’s far - about 3 miles one way, but it was a lot of fun. There are also two piers on the Club Med property (next door) that have a lot fish activity. If you walk past Club Med the hotels end and you’ll come to a big house on the point and just a little way more is a small reef you can snorkel at as well.

We did not feel unsafe at the resort or during the day out and about but I personally would not walk around after dark. I did noticed a lot of security -- the IGA has a guard, Ports of Call had a guard at night, and it seems most hotels have a guard at least at night

A couple miscellaneous things…only had use bug spray one night, we drank bottle water but other than that we were not especially cautious about the food and had no issues, when you arrive at the PLS airport a staff member will ask you what hotel you are staying at and direct you to a van going your way--you pay when you get on so have your money ready (van ride $15/pp plus tip), we did not have to pay a departure tax at the airport.

3  Thank USA_191414