“Paradise”

Royal West Indies Resort
Ranked #18 of 44 Hotels in Providenciales
Reviewed 7 November 2010

We went for our last vacation prior to the birth of our first child. We simply wanted to relax, swim, and eat great food and I could not be more impressed! We have already decided that we will be back every year with our son in tow! It was also a very family friendly place without being over-run by children.

1  Thank aschild83
Write a ReviewReviews (2,032)

Reviewed 6 November 2010

This vacation far exceeded our expectations. The weather was fantastic, the blue/green water was warm and wonderful, the sand felt like silk.

The Royal West Indies property was peaceful and serene, from the quiet zone around a small irregular shaped pool to the beach and the ocean.

The water had sea stars (starfish), conch walking along the bottom of the ocean, lots of fish and we did spot JoJo, the dolphin one day. We went to Coral Gardens area for snorkeling and did not want to leave.

The food was wonderful, the people were exceptional and be sure to ask for Calvin Dean of Dean Express Taxi when you need a taxi. He is personable, warm and friendly and no fear of overcharging.

I can't wait to go back.

1  Thank cdbartwork
Reviewed 26 October 2010

Using TripAdvisor as my primary source of info, my wife and I booked the Royal West Indies for a week in October 2010. WE WERE 100% - make that 1000% - PLEASED.

I research things rather exhaustively. For one thing my wife is a bit on the fussy side. It's not that she requires luxury and pampering from a hotel - not at all. But cleanliness, pleasantness, efficiency and NO PROBLEMS are what she requires and unfortunately these simple things aren't as common in hotels as one might expect. In this case, with Royal West Indies so HIGHLY REVIEWED but at the same time ONE OF THE LEAST EXPENSIVE hotels on Grace Bay I was highly skeptical - and careful with my research.

My method is to read the TripAdvisor reviews in order of negativity. There aren't all that many such reviews (negative) but as we all know there are always some (more often than not they seem to turn out to be, um, "personality clashes" let's say as opposed to real problems - but, yes, there were some rare but apparently real problems cited by reviewers along the way).

So I went to Provo armed with my list of these negatives (4 or 5) and NONE of them were an issue:

- “Maid Service comes too early”: this was not an issue whatsoever.
- Bugs: no evidence whatsoever.
- Roof leak or evidence thereof: no evidence whatsoever.
- Lack of towels or beach umbrellas: not an issue at all (but of course Oct. is not a busy month in Provo so other times of year could be different)
- Problems with staff or personnel: quite the opposite, they were fantastic!
- Noise from nearby construction or the adjacent Club Med: not an issue at all (but boy does Club Med seem like it’s seen better days!)

So – it turned out that I had nothing at all to worry about! The Royal West Indies is a rare and exceptional gem. It far exceeded our hopes and expectations.

If you’re like me, you’ve looked at a lot of the hotels in Grace Bay. It’s not hard to identify the really nice properties in the $400-600/price range (which is way, way higher than RWI), and yes they are all quite lovely and nice… but so is RWI! Perhaps these other places are more “grand” and “elegant” and so forth, but not more comfortable and not more lovely. And believe me, it’s MUCH nicer to visit these “regent” and “grand” and “club” hotels for a great lunch, dinner or spa appointment than to actually stay there and pay three or four or even five times as much as RWI. But more than that, I can honestly tell you that even if money were no object we would not have been more satisfied at one of these expensive places than we were at RWI – honestly! We had MUCH more fun spending our money at restaurants (which are very expensive in Provo).

Anyway if your process tracked mine then you ended-up eliminating things in the upper-price-range and looking at the Sands, the Windsong, Sibonne, and possibly Coral Gardens. Of these the Sands is the only one I would not have absolutely hated. The Sands is a much larger complex than RWI, so I suppose it’s somewhat livelier and all that but to me that definitely does not mean more enjoyable. The beach in that spot of Grace Bay is still quite nice but not as nice as RWI, which is along the very best stretch of beach on fabulous Grace Bay. We did love the restaurant at the Sands (Hemingways) – fantastic – but again, go to the Sands for lunch or dinner, don’t stay there (unless RWI is booked I suppose!).

But while the Sands would have been OK/acceptable, I’m afraid that Windsong, Coral Gardens, and Sibonne would have been awful for us. Coral Gardens looks quite run down and it’s right next to an abandoned construction project that makes the area looked like it’s been bombed. Windsong is in that same area – just not nearly as nice an area of Grace Bay. That end of the bay does have the very nice snorkeling area just offshore at Coral Gardens, but it’s easy to get there (by car) from RWI. Sibonne is an aging hotel with little character (but again, they have a fabulous restaurant, the Bay Bistro, which should not be missed).

So what in particular did we love about RWI? The spacious rooms (like many others we gave up the “ocean view” and saved money, a very good move for us as our unit was a beautiful and quiet unit overlooking the beautiful “quiet” pool). We loved the very large size of our “suite” and definitely felt that going with the “1-bedroom suite” instead of the Studio was worth the extra money. Plus the suite has a full kitchen, which was such an excellent way to go in very expensive Provo – it was fun to shop at the nearby grocery stores and make our own breakfasts and lunch – and so much cheaper than eating out.
We loved the pools (two of them, one designated “quiet”) and large hot tub and we found them all impeccably clean. We loved the lounging furniture both on our balcony and at the pools and beach. The gardens and grounds at RWI are amazing. The unbelievably beautiful beach and water at RWI is God’s doing but RWI does it right, with a very low-key approach to service (service is always there if you ask for it, but you can also be left nicely alone the entire day as well). Free use of kayaks, hobie cats, and snorkeling gear (bicycles as well)… can’t beat it (we managed to have JoJo the wild dolphin swim with us TWICE during our stay – once when kayaking and once when swimming – it was amazing).

Well enough from me on RWI. I could go on and on. Yes I can see RWI not being the first choice for everyone (for example, young honeymooners with a big budget might prefer an all-inclusive with luxury and pampering; the very nice Seven Stars down the beach a bit might fit that bill better, possibly), but for so many other types of people I can’t imagine them not being delighted with RWI.

Finally, this review is on RWI, not Provo but I’ll touch on restaurants very quickly:

Parallel 23 – Outstanding, worth the splurge, good wine choices
Bay Bistro – Excellent and somewhat reasonable in price
Coco Bistro – Disappointment, fabulous setting and great appetizers (yes the banana chutney is excellent) but the main courses and the desserts weren’t worthy of the setting
Hemingways – Excellent and reasonable in price
Grace’s Cottage – Fair but actually rated Poor because it’s so ridiculously expensive. Lousy service, mostly uninspired food (but the seafood risotto appetizer was excellent), and worst of all, an absolutely horrible selection of wines (I couldn’t tell you about the $400 bottles, maybe those are wonderful, but in the $40-$60 range the wines were embarrassingly horrible – what are they thinking there?)
Mango Reef – Very good and reasonable. Right at RWI.
Horse-Eyed Jacks – Similar to Da Conch Shack, gotta see them prepare your own conch salad right on the beach (or perhaps better for some, wait and watch them do someone else’s AFTER you eat your salad!) – be sure to ask about the pistol!

By the way, in Provo you should ALWAYS make seafood your first choice. You may tire of the conch thing quickly but that leaves spiny lobster, grouper, snapper and so many other excellent seafood dishes…. Nassau Grouper is absolutely amazing.

And one final comment, I saw mention that nightlife doesn’t exist in Provo. Depends on your definition I guess but my wife and I found live music almost every night at beautiful, nice lounges at various hotels. Sometimes with dancing, sometimes not but always fun. Find where DaNa (a male/female duo) are playing and GO SEE THEM – they are great! There are also casinos in Provo, in fact one is right near RWI (3-minute walk) and lots of fun bars (Jimmy’s Dive Bar was great for watching football). So in other words, we found plenty to do both day and night, and with RWI as our wonderful base we absolutely loved Provo.

ENJOY PROVO – it’s wonderful!

15  Thank OneginNH
Reviewed 17 October 2010

My partner and I spent our 2nd anniversary at this resort, from 10/11-10/17/10. I am in love with this place! It is small, only about 90 units, the grounds are absolutely gorgeous, the restaurant at the hotel (Mango Reef) is the best on the island (in my opinion). I would go back here in a heart beat!

With that being said, not EVERYTHING was perfect, then again, what is? First, if you stay at this hotel and want to get out and see the rest of the island, or go eat at other restaurants, I would HIGHLY recommend renting a car! Pretty much any taxi you take is going to cost you $15.00/person/per way. We went to Da Conch Shack, round trip it cost us $70 (including tip), mind you it was only a 15 minute ride each way. Day 3 we rented a car and glad we did! At only $39.99 per day, it practically paid for itself in one trip. There are complimentary bikes available, and we did use them before renting the car, but they are in need of some desperate maintenance and were not very enjoyable (low, wobbly tires, crooked handlebars, messed up seats). Driving on the left hand side of the road and navigating the round-a-bouts it a lot easier than it looks! The max speed limit on the entire island is 40mph/65kmh!! You can do it!

Every time we went to the beach there was literally only a hand full of people on the entire beach! And I'm not just referring to the beach in front of the hotel, I mean the ENTIRE beach! This is probably not the case for the 'peak season'. The staff was very friendly and they were more than happy to set up our car rental as well as a snorkel excursion we did on our second day with Silver Deep. (we also did another snorkel excursion with Dive Provo).

There are 3 pools and a hot tub on the property, 2 pools and the hot tub are specifically labeled "Quiet Zones" where no loud noises are allowed. They are surrounded by lush landscaping (which they maintain on a daily basis). This is not a "full service" resort, meaning no one will be waiting on you at the pool taking your drink orders, etc.

There is free wi-fi in every room and a computer in the lobby.

The only things that are in walking distance from this hotel is: Coco Bistro, Fresh (coffee/donut type place), Ports Of Call, Graceway Gormet, ScotiaBank. Seriously, rent a car, you will not regret it.

If you want to know more about my trip and suggestions I have on what to see and what not see, please email me at Brian76009@hotmail.com, I would be more than happy to give you my opinion!

~Brian

9  Thank BKFoster
Reviewed 15 October 2010

I went here with my husband and 11 month old daughter. I loved this place. It was so beautiful. The grounds are so well kept, the rooms are so clean, and the staff was wonderful. The man who showed us to our room said we could keep our stroller outside on the ground and nobody would touch it. I'm sure he was right but we carried it upstairs everyday anyways. The cleaning crew washed all our dishes for us including our baby's bottles (which I hate doing). I just can't say enough good things about this place. I want to go back so bad but the Turks and Caicos islands are pretty expensive.

The beaches are amazing. The water was so clear and very calm. It was calm enough for my baby to play in and the waves were very gentle and did not push her.

If anyone is looking for a wonderful, safe, beautiful, calm place in the carribean I would recommend this place anytime. This is not for party people but those who are looking for a quiet beautiful vacation.

It was just amazing!!!!

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank orchid_5inTexas
Reviewed 15 October 2010

My husband and I spent four nights at RWI and loved every minute of it. It's a beautiful property with lush gardens in every direction. It's a small resort compared to some of the other resorts, but that's what I liked the most. It wasn't overwhelming and was incredibly peaceful. The resort gave us complimentary use of bicycles, hobie cat boats, beach chairs, towels, etc. It's a great location. We used the bicycles and rode to the Graceway Gourmet. We stocked up on grocery items and cooked a few meals in our fully equipped kitchen. The staff was very friendly. Every person you pass will smile and say hello. We arrived for check-in a bit early. The room was not quite ready. We stored our luggage at the front office and went out to the beach. My husband and I are in our late 20s and this was a much needed belated honeymoon. We loved every minute while staying at the Royal West Indies.

1  Thank lrclayton
Reviewed 12 October 2010

We booked this resort as a 25th anniversary get-away
Was planning on meeting my husband here (he's currently in Iraq)
Read on forums that the Mango Reef rest. would be pulling out of the property.
Very disappointed, we tried to get them to at-least upgrade our reservation...they claimed that it's a privately owned restaurant-and they would not give an up-grade on our room.
With NO restaurant on property...and NO full kitchen up-grade, it will cost $$$$$ to now rent a car & take our meals elsewhere. (so why stay at this resort)?
As business owners ourselves, we find this kind of customer service outrageous... but truly typical for the Caribbean... something that would never happen at other HIGHER rated resorts...
In the Turks & Caicos, you really DO get what you pay for!

2  Thank Terribbean