“Fantastic condo resort for the money!”

Royal West Indies Resort
Ranked #17 of 45 Hotels in Providenciales
South Berwick, Maine
“Fantastic condo resort for the money!”
Reviewed 31 December 2010

What a wonderful little resort on an island of mega resorts. The restaurant is quaint, and the meals were great. The staff very friendly, yet left you alone to enjoy your stay.

Taxis are outrageous - $60 from the airport (15 per person). We were told we could rent a cab for the day. No such luck. Rent before you get on island. Well worth the cost due to how spread apart everything is.

Beach is fantastic, but a bit rough during our stay. Not the norm.

Don't forget any clothing, sun screen or extras. Everything is way overpriced for the average person.

Diving, snorkeling. Stay away from the cattle boats of "Deep Silver". Best to spend the extra money and reserve with "Caicos Adventures". You will be so much happier you did.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with family
2 Thank Michael H

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (498)
  • Hebrew first
st. louis
Reviewed 30 December 2010

My husband and I decided that we wanted to take a fabulous Carribean/beach vacation after having a long and frustrating year. After considering many tropical destinations, we decided on Providenciales and the Royal West Indies resort. "TripAdvisor" is my trusty travel "manual" so after MANY rave reviews it was evident that we must check it out.

I have highlighted below some of the top interests/points that I was concerned about or interested in prior to arriving.

Location:
The resort is a 15 minute drive from the airport. Once you land, hop in a taxi and you are at the resort within a few minutes! We walked everywhere while we stayed at the Royal West Indies. Coco Bistro, Ports of Call, Regent Village, Salt Mills, Graceway Gourmet...it was nice to venture out off of the resort and also save money on cab fare.

Beach:
Beautiful!! The sand is white and the water is the absolute most beautiful shade of blue! The surf was a little rough while we were there but I was told that wasn't normal and that a storm had come through right before we arrived. We never had issues with acquiring a beach towel or chairs.

Room:
The room was nice and cozy. We stayed in a studio unit. The rooms were clean and the bed was surprisingly soft and comfortable. Each day the rooms were cleaned and any dishes that we used were even washed and put away. Our kitchen consisted of a full size refrigerator, sink, microwave, coffee maker, and toaster. All dishes and utensils were provided and coffee was provided as well. My favorite spot was our patio. We had a gorgeous view of the immaculate grounds and a patio table with chairs. We would sit out there every afternoon before we would leave for dinner and enjoy a Turks Head (the local beer) or two...

Dining/groceries:
I was concerned about the cost of dining while in Provo. I had read many reviews that the island was expensive. Our past few vacations have been all inclusives so I was a little nervous that we may spend way over our budget. It is definitely pricier than what we are used to but we also found some ways to cut back on costs.

We walked to the Graceway Gourmet a couple of times during our stay. The resort has bikes that you can take free of charge and we used them as well. We stocked up on beer, water, lunches, snacks, and breakfasts. A six pack of the local beer - Turks Head was $11 and a case of bottled water was $8 to put things in perspective.

Our favorite meal was at Coco Bistro. The patio is extraordinary and you must visit at least once while on the island. We had a glass of wine and an entree each, shared an appetizer and dessert and cappucino and after tax and tip the bill was $150.00. We really enjoyed Jimmy's Dive Bar in the Ports of Call plaza and ate there twice. The onsite restaurant (Pelican Bay) was ok and only an option for us when we didn't feel like leaving the resort.

To summarize, the resort was comfortable and clean. The beaches were beautiful and the people were friendly. If you are considering staying at the Royal West Indies or in Provo, do not hesitate and book your trip!

6 Thank ncarolyn
Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed 27 December 2010

It's my goal to visit every place possible in the Caribbean, so when we went to Provo, it was without intentions of ever going back. That has changed, we will definitely go back and we will definitely stay at RWI. We found the island as a whole to be the friendliest place we've ever been, it kind of spoiled us. When we went to Aruba where everyone is supposed to be so friendly, we kept thinking, "yeah, but not as friendly as they are in Provo!"
They RWI was perfect. Upon arrival we were immediately upgraded to an oceanview room. Sherman noticed that the AC smelled a bit musty (not unusual for the tropics) and spoke to the front desk about moving us to another room. They didn't have one immediately available, but a couple of days later they moved us up one floor to a room with a better view. We had no other problems with the rooms, they were great, with in room laundry and kitchenettes. People have mentioned the beds being hard, I didn't notice, and I like a soft bed. I didn't even think about it until about 3 days in, when my husband asked what I thought of the bed. Then I remembered that other reviewers said they're hard. Maybe a bit firm, but it didn't bother me. It was a nice quiet resort, even with a few small children around. Overall, a very relaxing atmosphere.

The grounds were beautiful, they had a very cozy, lush and homey feeling. We checked out some of the larger, newer properties and found the formal plantings to be bare and uninteresting. Iris is to thank for the lovely gardens and if you see her walking around directing her guys in the gardens, remind her to drink some water!
The beach at RWI is beautiful and clean. We never had a problem with chairs or towels thanks to the beach hut staff, Eddie and Russell were always on top of it.

The entire staff was friendly and helpful. Jean Luc, Nadege, and Shilove at the bar were fantastic. They made the best drinks and Nadege even sent my bacon back to the kitchen one morning because she knew that I would want it crispy and she didn't think they made it right. They also kept my husband well entertained. If I couldn't find him I knew he was at the bar talking to his new friends, or the locals who also stopped in there for lunch.
Eddie is the hardest working guy we've ever seen, he's everywhere from cleaning the pool areas to the towel hut, to making reservations for water sports. Deandre was good with reservations and directions, just remind her to SMILE! She has a beautiful smile, she just forgets to use it. Katherine was super helpful and took care of changing our room for us.

We were amazed at how clean the entire property was kept, right down to the little bathroom by the pool. We joked about the fact that every time it was used it got clean, because there was never anything in the wastebasket. We even tested the theory by putting tissues in the basket to see if they were still there the next time we went back (Sorry Eddie). We never did see a tissue in that basket!

Food: The bakery across the street was perfect for breakfast and had awesome sandwiches to pack for a day of exploring. We typically prefer to explore restaurants off property and don't eat at the resort a lot, but we found ourselves going back to Mango Reef frequently, we're sorry to hear that it isn't there anymore. We weren't that impressed with Coco Bistro's service, although the food was good. We did visit Hemingway's with some new friends that we made at RWI, but we didn't think it lived up to the hype. We also found Da Conch Shack's food not to be as good as we expected, maybe because Mango Reef's conch was so good and light. The setting was quaint and beautiful though. The food and service at Caicos Cafe was really good. That was a place that would have been worth visiting again.

Driving and Places to see: We rented a car. My husband found that he was able to get the hang of driving on the left side and with very few roads and locals who are wary of tourists driving on the wrong side, it wasn't too bad. I didn't try it myself. The island isn't large and has two main roads running the length of it, so it's hard to get lost for long. We really enjoyed driving to chalk sound, Sapodilla Bay and other beaches on the island to see the varied beauty of the island. Long Beach was great for shelling and watching kite surfers, make sure you get good directions before you set out, we almost gave up. We never found the pirate carvings. The Conch farm was interesting. If you have time, it is definitely worthwhile to spend a day exploring North and Middle Caicos. You'll have to take a ferry and rent a car when you get there, or take a tour, but both islands offer a lot to see.

Snorkling: The Coral Gardens are awesome. We've snorkeled several other islands in the Caribbean and in Mexico. This was probably the best snorkeling we've seen, and it's just right off the beach, so no pricey boat tours are required. We had our own gear, but heard that RWI has gear available. We didn't try walking, we just drove to it and parked behind the Coral Gardens hotel (it looked pretty run down, glad we didn't stay there). We tried Smith's Reef one time, but never made it out to the actual Reef, I think we parked in the wrong place.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
4 Thank apriles1
Columbus, OH
Reviewed 22 December 2010

We stayed at the RWI Dec. 6-13, 2010. This was our first trip to Provo, and we relied heavily on the reviews and information at Tripadvisor when planning our trip. So when we checked in, we had high expectations because most of the reviews of the RWI have been very positive. We were not disappointed.

For one thing, the location is outstanding. It’s about 11 km (6+ miles) from the airport, and on a nice, wide stretch of Grace Beach. There are lots of good restaurants, shops and stores within walking distance, and good off-shore snorkeling at Coral Gardens is available after a leisurely hour’s stroll down the beach… (We drove).

The staff at RWI are friendly and attentive (thanks again, Sherman), and our king-size garden studio room was spacious and clean. It came equipped with a full-size refrigerator, 12-cup coffeemaker, microwave, toaster, sink, cabinets, dinnerware and utensils, and a compact clothes washer-dryer tucked behind a door next to the bathroom. A blow dryer is provided, and good shampoo and soaps are replaced as needed.

I’m posting some pics of the property – it is truly beautiful and well-maintained. I don’t think you can go wrong with any unit. Ours was in building #4 on the second floor with a generously sized balcony overlooking the restaurant and adjoining pool. We didn’t notice any noise and enjoyed some of the best sleep we’ve ever experienced away from home. We were also happy with the location of the room in relation to the beach. We did not choose an ocean-view room, and we were glad to save the additional charge.

We ate at the Pelican Bay restaurant one evening when we didn’t feel like going out. We thought the food and service was good ( grilled ahi tuna and a Caesar dinner salad with shrimp) but not outstanding. We ordered ice water and skipped the drinks. The tab with tax and tip was about $54.00.

Because we consider ourselves to be audaciously frugal (in order to splurge on traveling to places like Provo), I’ll share some tips that will also serve as reminders when we come back (that is, if the RWI offers the same deal again at this time of year):
1. Pack some food and a collapsible cooler in your checked luggage. In the bag with our snorkeling equipment, we packed vodka, Bloody Mary mix, cheese, crackers and coffee. The coffee proved unnecessary because the RWI provides packets that brew about 6-8 cups. I thought about getting liquor at the duty-free store before our flight out of Miami, but as it turned out, we did not have the time to shop because of a delay out of our home airport.

2. Rent a car instead of paying a cab from the airport and “keep it on the left.” We had a good experience with Grace Bay car rental. It’s easy to get used to driving on the left and maneuvering roundabouts instead of traffic lights. We liked the freedom of having a car and exploring the island.
3. Pick up wine, beer and booze at the Wine Cellar on the way from the airport. They have a good selection and the prices seemed to be the best that we saw. Drinking at bars and restaurants will give you sticker shock (e.g., $3.50 for a beer during happy hour). A case of Turkshead amber beer was about $37.00.
4. Prepare most breakfasts and a few lunches in the room. We cooked bacon and eggs in the microwave and had breakfast sandwiches most mornings.
5. Yoshi’s for sushi.
6. “Fresh” (within walking distance) for bakery – and they mark down the cost of selected items most days around 4:30.
7. Mango Reef for delicious curry dishes – we ate there twice. Ask for Samuel.
8. Bay Bistro - weekend brunch for $14.00 - includes various selections and a Bloody Mary.
9. Coco Bistro – atmosphere, salads and appetizers ( when you really don’t have a big appetite and don’t feel like spending the money on an entrée).
10. NADA at the Seven Stars Sat. evening – being on the deck next to the beach at sunset with your mate, a good drink and listening to Nadine and Daniel makes one give thanks. ( Now why is it that we’re not “Belongers?”).
We’ll be back.

9 Thank Semi-Retrd
Reviewed 18 December 2010

We arrived without problems and could not have been happier with the accomodations. We upgraded to one bedroom suite for additional space, Setting is gorgeous with flowers,palm trees, etc. Jacuzzi was great to relax and socialize. Only complaint was that the pools were a little on chilly side for my wife's lapping. Beaches offered endless miles of sands for walking. CoCo Bistro and OPus restaurants offered romantic ambience. Nightlife was absent but we were told this fact ahead of time. Weather was great for walking, relaxing, etc. A bit windy for 2-3 days due to cold front on rast coast. We could not complain leaving 18 degees for mid 70's.Only real complaint was that restaurants outside the above to were a good distance away and the Cab service was very pricey. One couple paid $80 in cab fares for a dinner out.

Cornwall, NY
Reviewed 17 December 2010

This was our third year staying at the RWI and it was pleasant as always. We always book an oceanview and this year we had a third floor in building 2. Unfortunately the foliage has grown so that much of the view has been obscured so if you want the real view make sure you are on the west side of the building. Someone needs to trim the palm trees!! Our room was nice, however, I think that it is starting to be worn and dated. It also needed some additional kitchenware (pans, dishes) The bed this year was fantastic. We have grown so accustomed to the hard beds in the Carribean that we bring an egg crate mattress with us (vacuum bag shrinks it down to almost nothing) just to have a comforatble night's sleep. This year we actually had a softer mattress- wonderful!
One thing we didn't know when we booked the week was that the restaurant would be closed for most of the time. The Mango Reef was an okay restaurant (great conch fritters and Thai salad) but the rest of the menu was tired. So they were redoing the kitchen, bar and restaurant while we were there so no pina coladas or frozen drinks. They finally set up a bar by the pool on Thursday but there was no foresight in that in 85 degree heat you could use some drinks! I hope the new chef brings some life to the place!
We did make our usual trek to neighborhood restaurants. We ate at
Coco Bistro- great food, great busboy, waitress could have cared less
Las Brisas- best drinks on the island, great food and wonderful service-make the effort to go there
Bella Luna- wonderful food and great staff
Opus- again great food and staff
Caicos Cafe- food was great, I believe it had just opened and the staff had no clue what was going on. Also the mosquitos were bad there.
Da Conch Shak- best conch around

I have to warn people that most of the restaurants now are adding a 10% service charge automatically to the bill. So if you add another 15% you are adding 25% to your bill. I was careful to notice which restaurants did this (seemed it was the ones not associated with resorts). I only added another 5 to 10% to the bill. I only hope that money is going to the employees who served my husband and I.

We wanted to SNUBA and made our reservations but the current and waves were to strong and our excursion was cancelled as were most of the snorkeling tours that week. Hard to imagine a storm near Nova Scotia could wreak havoc in the Carribean!
The weather the second week of November is always glorious and that is why we continue to go that time of the year.
We may look into renting a villa or going to the Point Grace next year. We did rent a car for a day and traveled to some off the other beaches on the south side. There was no one there and they were a little buggy, but the water was beautiful and serene.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank vaspar24
Gloucester, Massachusetts
Reviewed 13 December 2010

Just returned from our 4th yearly December stay at RWI. This year thanks to the Fall deals we reserved a one bedroom botanical. My wife loves to overlook the pools and gardens. We were upgraded to an "ocean view" unit on the corner of bldg #5 which gave us a view of the hot tub and pools as well as a nice distant view of Grace Bay. Best of both worlds. Unit was very nice with super comfortable bed. First nights dinner at Pelican Bay was fine. Lobster tail up to island standards and their cracked conch and fritters fine. Heard their burger and fish and chips are very good too. Limited menu at the time but by now should have full menu. Calvin was offeriing drink service everyday which was a nice touch. Mango Reef rarely did that. Had dinner at Mango too and it was delicious, they are working on their grounds which will be a boom for the Alexandria.

Thanks to Tanesha at the front desk, very nice greeting. All the beach guys for addressing our waterfront needs. Nice job Russell keeping the hot tub hot!

We'll be back next year!

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with family