We were looking for a laid back island with a great beach to renew our vows for our 10 year anniversary. Travelled with 5 yr old boy and almost 9 yr girl from Boston. FIrst time to T & C -
Had a horrible blotched vow renewal on the beach on Friday night which compromised the rest of the trip. The concierge, Jason, is TERRIBLE and basically incompetent. Started planning this ceremony with him in Jan. Can you say no cake, no flowers, no beach set up, no champagne, not the correct names, AND no inclusion of our requested poem AND a pastor who was clueless about who we are. Enough said - if you want the really gory details of incompetence PM me.
Suite - Oceanview 1 bedroom - building 6 - the rooms are quite lovely and come fully equiped, great screened porches. However I would not recommend building 6 - we had a constant stream of employees talking and the dumpster being emptied, not a great location.
After our not so nice ceremony, we were moved to 3206, a premium oceanfront room... it was amazing though a little too late. The room had a screen porch appr. 3 times larger than our last one and overlooked the pool area and ocean. If you could spring for this room - it is well worth the extra $.
Car - I would highly recommend renting a car - we used Grace Bay Rentals and while pleasant enough we had our share of problems... Paul was 40 minutes late at the airport to meet us, because of a broken down car - wonder if it was ours since our then broke down the next night. Island is easy to get around and driving was not as hard as we expected.
The Beach - Color is AMAZING, it exceeded our expectations!The first few days the water was rough and had an undertow. Day 4 we woke up to a big bathtub of a sea. Calm, warm and beautiful.
Staff - With the exception of Jason, we found the staff to be very, very friendly, always a hello and smile, the front desk was especially good ...Roselaurie wonderful! Went out of their way to help!
Pool and extras - Loved the pool area - 1st day we were the only family at the resort...kids loved doing the canal tour ( following the canals around. Plenty of floats, good snorkling equipment, always gota chair whether it was beach or pool side. Great service from bar.
Hemmingways - Thought the restaurant was very good, had a breakfast, lunch, dinner and many take-out from here to eat on our porch - this way we did not have to deal with kids having to sit and behave all the time, also saved $ because we had drinks at the room. The grilled caesar and fish and chips were very good.
Other restaurants -
Dinner at Tiki Hut - Wed. chicken and rib night - Fun place, but the food was dry and not very good. Kid's pizza was very good.
Dinner at Bay Bistro - average food though nice setting, kids meals outrageous! $12 a plate of spaghetti and $4.50 for milk
Breakfast at Saltmills Cafe - very fun and great wait staff, slow
Dinner at Caicos Cafe - Fabulous! By far our best meal, sad we didn't get back there for another meal
Lunch at Da Conch Shack - Great staff ( at least our guy was the others looked pretty sullen) great location, good food, missed the live music night our car broke down - would have been a fun night out.
Dinner at Coco Bistro - Loved the setting, food okay
Trip Highlights -
Booked a half day sail trip with Capt Tim and the Beluga - what a wonderful day!! Highly recommend
Photo session with Tropical Imaging on the beach at sunset - great photos, highly professional and fun.
Semi-Submarine Tour - out of turtle bay - kind of expensive but a great way to see the reef - enjoyable
Nissi House - had contacted the island's only orphanage and brought a suticase full of donations. Nice visit.
Snorkling - fun, easy and highly recommend.
All and all it is a beautiful island and while the Sands had a lot going for it, the front desk concierge services was so bad that it basically ruined the trip for us. We were not the only ones complaining about his lack of service. We will be back to the island though probably not to the Sands.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Perfect harmony on Grace Bay Beach, Providenciales Experience an earthly wonder of sand and sea at our 114-suite luxury resort on Providenciales, Turks & Caicos Islands, British West Indies. Family-friendly, yet ideally suited for romantic getaways and wedding celebrations, The Sands at Grace Bay offers a harmonious balance of home comforts and sublime Caribbean elegance - as well as a picture perfect location on the sparkling shores of Grace Bay Beach. If you are dreaming of a beach holiday in the Caribbean that gives you the flexibility of having your own fully-equipped suite while enticing you with fine dining, pristine grounds and sigh-inducing vistas, we look forward to welcoming you to The Sands at Grace Bay. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Ebookers, 5viajes2012 S.L., TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly, getaroom.com and Cancelon so you can book your The Sands at Grace Bay reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sands At Grace Bay Hotel Providenciales
- Sands At Grace Bay Providenciales
- Sands Grace Bay
- The Sands At Grace Bay Turks And Caicos/Providenciales