“Perfect Location and Place”
Review of Sands at Grace Bay

Sands at Grace Bay
Ranked #20 of 45 Hotels in Providenciales
Orange County, CA
“Perfect Location and Place”
Reviewed 27 May 2009

My friend and I just stayed there May 13-19th. Having never been or not knowing anyone who's been there I was a really worried about what we might find. It was absolutely gorgeous and peaceful ! We got the garden view studio and thought the made a mistake because the studio actually had a separate large bedroom (with a walk in closet) and the living room had a very comfortable pull out couch as well. The mini fridge, microwave and coffee maker were perfect as we had bought some portable food/water prior to us arriving (we heard everything was so expensive). We still made it out to the IGA and bought some fresh food. Our room was kept clean every day and the hotel grounds were very peaceful, quiet and well kept. Never went into the pool (although we did go into the jacuzzi) as the ocean was too beautiful to pass up. There was always room for us on the beach under the shade and it was beautiful. Saw some of the other hotels and resorts and I still wouldn't trade my stay at the Sands for some of the overpriced resorts. The Island is a peaceful island and gorgeous for diving. The mosquitoes were kind of a problem near our room but it had been raining quite a bit and I think you will get mosquitos in any tropical area. Definitely not the place to go to if you want to party but definitely the place for some real R and R. We ate at Hemingways a couple of times and it was a great experience all around. If you're a budget traveller like my friend and I, I recommend that you walk towards Saltmills shopping center and buy some alcohol at the local wine and spirits store. Pretty great that there's no alcohol tax and we got some good wines for very reasonable prices.

We did not rent a car and managed without one. We chose to walk into town and explore on foot which was sufficient. Not to mention driving on the left side of the road was too confusing for us ! Can't wait for my the next time !

• Stayed May 2009, travelled with friends
3 Thank TravellingMSW

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (519)
texas
Reviewed 23 May 2009

We were there for a week. I would have to say looking around at the other hotels we had the best beach lots of room and laying around area. Water so clear and sand so clean. The sands is nice our rooms were great and kept clean. We realy try not to stay in our rooms to much so I would say they were just what we were looking for. Walking distance from many stores and resturants. Food was O.K. service alittle slow. Edward works out by the beach and he was the best. We rented a car for 2 days to get around it was cheaper then a taxi because there was 4 of us. We had a screened in patio which was nice. Not really any nightlife pretty quit place.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank omiTexas
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 19 May 2009

We stayed at The Sands the week of May 9th and I was very pleased overall with the resort. We had no problems checking in, it went very fast and we had a nice cold rum punch waiting for us. We had requested a Gardenview Studio in building 5 on the 3rd floor, however, we were given room 5102 which was on the first floor. I questioned if there was availability on the uppper floors and was told no. Normally this doesn't bother me but we had booked this trip since last September and our travel agent had even spoken with them 2 weeks in advance requesting a certain room and they had told her it shouldn't be a problem. I am really only in the room to sleep and clean up, but I do enjoy drinking my coffee in the morning and seeing the ocean or atleast a partial view and I was only able to see the garden. The good thing about this room is that we were able to walk out of the screen door and be right outside versus climbing stairs.

The room was very nice and clean, the bed was very comfortable and we never had any problems getting fresh towels. The television was small but was a nice flat screen and we got several channels with was nice.

The best part was the beach. After walking both sides of the Sands, I believe we had the best stretch of beach, it was very wide, wide sand and best of all the the water was simply beautiful. You could lay on floats just like being in a swimming pool. We never had a problem getting lounge chairs and umbrellas no matter what time of day it was. Edward who works with the water sport activities and towel desk was great. He took us out of the Hobie Cat which they furnish there but we weren't experienced enough to go by ourselves and gave us a mini tour of the hotels and history.

As far as food goes, we at Hemmingways several times. We had breakfast a couple of times and dinner a couple of times and lunch once. We were always pleased with our food and service. The fish tacos were great, I would have liked to have had them more but never got the chance. The price wasn't too bad compared to some of the other restaurants.

The most important things I look for is a nice clean room and a beautiful beach and this definately met my guidelines. If I go back to Turks, I will definately return to The Sands.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank sunbratHouston
Port Saint Lucie, Florida
Reviewed 5 May 2009

My wife and I have wanted to visit the Turks & Caicos for some time. After exploring lodging options, we decided that the Sands would be the best combination of value and location on Provo. The Sands is a "Condotel". As I understand it, each unit is individually owned and rent is split between the owner of the unit and the Sands management. With just the 2 of us, we chose a studio suite. It more than suited our needs. With the exception of one day, maid service was good and reliable. We were in building 6, which is the farthest from the beach, but still just a short walk . The only complaint I would have about our location is that employees seemed to congregate very near our door, and were quite loud early in the morning.

The pools were nice, and the ocean was magnificent! Unfortunately, it was quite windy during most of our stay, so the ocean had a pretty serious chop.
The hospitality center included 2 computer terminals which allowed free internet access. NIce touch. The building also housed a gym which was decently equipped.

Hemingway's, the on site restaurant was quite adequate, and as we soon discovered "reasonably" priced. We only went there for lunch, but the conch chowder was good (spicy), and the jerk chicken and fish and chips (mahi mahi) became favorites.

We rented a car and were glad we did. There wasn't much to see on the island, but we saw pretty much all of what there was. We were able to stock our room with snacks and beverages from the IGA supermarket as well as visit restaurants that would have required a taxi ride. Restaurants were on the high side. I'd say the average dinner entree was $32. Once you add tax, tip, drinks, etc. dinner is easily over $100/couple almost everywhere. On the bright side, the food was usually good albeit overpriced.

We have been to many islands and hope to go to many more. Although we enjoyed our stay, and have no real complaints about the Sands, it is unlikely we will return to Provo due to the lack of activity. We went to Iguana Island and the Conch Farm and the casinos. We snorkeled and swam to our heart's content. However, the water activities can be done on almost any Caribbean island, ditto the sun and sand. The diversions of Iguana Island and the Conch Farm killed about 3 hours of our week. We would have liked to have more sightseeing activities available.

5 Thank MLPdiverRI
Portland, ME
Reviewed 3 May 2009

First visit to TCI. The Sands was very reasonable compared to other 4 star options so we took a chance. It turned out to be an excellent choice. The property is very casual and we had a clean and spacious studio with a screened porch. Hemingway's Restaurant is open air and right on the beach. Unlike many properties on Grace Bay Beach, there are no other "hotels" close by on either side giving it a sense of privacy and spaciousness other "hotels" do not enjoy. The pool is very nice and overlooks the ocean. Like most of the properties we passed as we walked Grace Bay Beach from end to end, The Sands is really a condominium hotel and there are a lot of families with small children as a result. The kids kinda take over the pool in the afternoon. The gym is well appointed and the grounds are attractive and well maintained. The Sands is within walking distance of the local shopping area but next time, I'll rent a car for the week. Cabs are plentiful and probably even more cost effective for two people than renting a car but in retrospect, it would have been nice to have the freedom to come and go as we pleased. Grace Bay is very quiet with no bars or nightlife other than the casinos and not very touristy. If you're looking for a relaxing, quiet vacation at an excellent facility on a beautiful beach for a relatively good price, I heartily recommend The Sands at Grace Bay. My wife and I would return without hesitation. By the way, on the way back we connected in Miami and clearing Immigration and Customs there was a zoo. We barely made our connection but our luggage didn't. Next time I'll fly non-stop or leave at least 3 hours between flights.

2 Thank BeachSeeker2009
Boston
Reviewed 2 May 2009

We spent our April school vacation week at The Sands at Grace Bay Beach in Turks and Caicos and had an amazing time. We've been to many Carribean islands but the water and sand at T&C was incredible. The Sands is a beautiful suite-based resort and was very family friendly. The suites were very nice, clean and spacious. The only thing I would not recommend there is the restaurant Hemingway's - we had dinner there the first evening and the service was horrible. The meal was okay but certainly on the bottom of the list compared to the other restaurants we went to (Coco Bistro was the best, followed by Magnolia). The two best things we did while at T&C were SNUBA TCI which is located at the Windsong Resort and takes place in the coral reef in front of the Coral Gardens resort on Grace Bay Beach. It's like a cross between snorkeling and scuba diving - you're on oxygen and connected by a long hose to a tank that the instructor has, but you only go down to a 20 ft depth. It was an amazing experience - saw sting rays, sea turtles, beautiful fish and coral. Jodi was our instructor and was great. The other activity was a glass bottom boat tour by Reef Peepers that took us snorkeling, to Aguana Island, diving for conch and then to the shore of another island where they prepared a fresh conch salad for us. A friend had recommended that we rent a car since the cab rides are so expensive, so we did - it really came in handy in order to get around (for the trips to the IGA to stock the kitchen) and to go out to dinner. We made the mistake of going to the brand new IGA by the resorts that had just opened in April, but found out after the fact that their prices are much higher than the original one on Leeway since it's a more upscale gourmet store. Next trip we went to the original one which confirmed what we had been told regarding the prices. Food/restaurants are very expensive there (but that's usually the case with any of the Carribean islands). We loved our stay there and would definitely go back.

3 Thank BostonBeachnik
London
Reviewed 29 April 2009

Prefect. Right on beach. I am a frequent visitor to the Caribbean and this is the best beach I've ever been too. Water is super clear, astonishingly blue. There is always room on the very large beach.The hotel is wonderful. We got an ocean view, one bedroom suite. Clean to perfection, spotless and spacious. Staff is super friendly. There is a restaurant in the hotel, simple but great.
WE CAN'T WAIT TO GET BACK !

4 Thank chicago314