“Very relaxing stay in Provo”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Sands at Grace Bay

Sands at Grace Bay
Ranked #20 of 45 Hotels in Providenciales
Plymouth, Massachusetts
“Very relaxing stay in Provo”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 September 2007

We went to the Sands from August 23rd to September 1st. This was a last minute change in plans due to Hurricane Dean and his arrival in Cancun. I was not entirely upset about it since Turks is a place I've always wanted to visit.

Our flights went from Boston to Charlotte and then Charlotte to Provo. The air was not cheap, but was not crazy expensive either considering we booked on the 22nd. We took US Air. Flights were on time, no issues. Only bad thing was we had a 4 hour layover in Charlotte both directions. It's a nice airport, we did alot of walking around and I bought a NAP pillow at Brookstone which I made good use of.

Our arrival into Turks was smooth. Lines for immigration were not bad. I was shocked at the size of the airport there compared to places like St. Maarten and Aruba. They will most definitely need to update the airport to accomodate the loads of people that are now flocking to this island. We had a scare with the luggage. The attendant told us all bags were off the plane for us and we were missing our big bag with all of my clothes. I panicked and began walking around the room and found it leaning up against the wall. PHEW is all I can say. Don't let the airport thing frazzle you, just remember you are on vacation and once you get to your resort you won't think twice about it (until it's time to go home).

We took a taxi to the Sands that ran us $20. The driver was very informative and helpful pointing out areas of interest along the way.

When we checked in we were told they had no higher level gardenview 1 bed suites which is what we requested. We agreed to at least take a look at the unit they had for us and we weren't thrilled. They accomodated us by putting us in an oceanview suite for a nominal fee each night. I felt we got a good deal and the concierge, Jason, went out of his way to help us. He even sent a complimentary bottle of wine to our room for the inconvenience. The rooms are nice. Our room was very large and had great furnishings with a wraparound balcony that I napped on more than once. The only disappointment was the bathroom. They are small and not in the best shape. If they upgrade the tubs, I wouldn't have a bad thing to say.

As far as the resort itself and the grounds, well I can't say enough good. Keep in mind this was low season. We had no crowds to fight with over beach space, pool space, restaurant seating. The atmosphere was so relaxing , the beach amazing and the water the best we have ever seen. We had a daily visit from a school of fish and a barracuda who seemed to travel wtih them. Never bothered any people , he just kept to himself. We also had a visit from JoJo the dolphin on day 7 which was great.

The people who work there are fabulous from the maid to the maintenance guy to the front desk staff. We had an issue with our tub draining on day one and they sent someone up in 5 minutes to repair it. Very pleased. They are closed now until October to renovate all of the rooms and do some work to the pool area and Hemmingways. We can't wait to go back and see the changes.

Food: Hemmingway's - we did alot of our lunches and one dinner here just because it was on property. The food was decent, nothing to rave about but it filled us up and was yummy enough. Waitresses were very nice. I teamed up with them to feed a litter of 6 kittens that took up residence under the deck. ASPCA never showed up, I hope they make it. Adorable.

Magnolia - We enjoyed our meal here. The gnocchi appetizer was good. Husband enjoyed his filet. The bugs come out and start biting once the sun sets though so I advise you either wear or bring bug spray.

Coco Bistro - This was way overpriced in my opinion. Husband and I are not picky and we don't send food back. His steak came out way over done and since we were paying $48 for it I demanded he send it back. Came out the second time still overdone. My lobster was very good, huge portions. We had a little cat visitor during dinner who ate like a king between our leftovers.

We had reservations at Parallel 23 but never made it. We did eat at Plunge one night. Atmosphere is nice but the food is just ok. They had a limited menu due to rain in the area so we just had apps. The cheesecake was not great , definitely not worth the $11.

Other than that, we did food shopping at the IGA. We took the Sands shuttle there and spent about $200 for the 9 days. Be prepared for sticker shock. A large container of cranberry juice is 11.99. Deli meats are same as home. Milk was 5.99 for a gallon!

We ended up not renting a car. We got really lazy by day 7 and were just happy chililng out.

We did take the sunset cruise by Sail Provo which was nice. They had wine, cheese, crackers and rum punch. Be prepared to leave that catamaran with a buzz. :)

We did the all day Middle Caicos tour excursion with J&B Tours. That was a great day, a little bit of everything. We encountered a shark while on the boat cruising along so that was neat. I also found myself a very nice conch shell in the water and it made it home in one piece. Someone had already removed the conch animal.

Other than that we used the resort water stuff, a hobie cat, the kayaks and our friend even tried wind surfing. The attendants at the towel hut keep a close eye on you and will rescue you if you go too far or seem to be struggling.

We will definitely be back. It rained almost every day for a bit either in the morning or the afternoon. And when it rains, it is torrential. But we still had more than enough great weather and we have tans to prove it.

Lots of people ask Aruba or Turks. I have to say you can't really compare the two , it depends on what you are looking for. If you desire a place where you can stay out til 3am gambling or drinking and you want to have access to Taco Bell and Dunkin Donuts, then Aruba is it. If you want total relaxation, nothing but local restaurants and bedtime by 11pm then Turks is the right place. (for now at least)

I say overall we liked Turks more. My only drawback is the food. In my opinion it's much better in aruba and it's cheaper for what you get. With that said, we didn't get to eat out as much as we wanted to because alot of places had closed for the season already. We will be sure to sample more when we go back.

Any questions feel free to email me. I will post pictures at a later time, they aren't ready yet.

• Liked — The beach huts, the staff and the central location on Grace Bay
  • Disliked — The bathrooms could be bigger and updated.
  • Stayed August 2007, travelled as a couple
12 Thank arubagrl

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (512)
DC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2007

Overall, we had a very nice stay at the resort.

Here are some tips, thoughts, and advice:

* TCI is all about the beaches, good seafood, and, if you are into it snorkeling/diving. Forget about it if you want nightlife. It's a mellow, friendly piece of coral in the carribbean.

* Sands is nice...nice pools, decent ammenities, friendly service, on a beautiful part of Grace Bay.

* it's probably not worth paying for ocean view. we were in the back of the resort, and we could see the ocean far off in the distance, but ocean front, it aint. Further, we learned that the people staying next to us hadn't even paid for ocean view, but received a free upgrade when they checked in. Unless you are getting the ocean front rooms in the bldg. closest to the ocean, its not worth it.

* Service is pretty good, not great. People are pretty friendly on the island. Compared to many of the other islands in the carribbean that i have visited, service and friendliness ranged from above average to significantly above average.

Eating:

* in general, fish and conch are king. I ate them at practically every meal, and never got tired of them. There are some very creative and innovative restuarants on the island. I am used to the newest and most innovative eating in NY and DC, and i was not let down.

* Hemmingways is pretty good, and very convenient. It's a great fall-back when you dont feel like heading out.

* Aqua was the best meal we had on the island. Go there.

* Bay Bistro is a close second place...and is only a short walk down the beach. Ate there several times, and really enjoyed it. However, they try to scam you by charging an additional $25 to eat on the beach...DONT DO IT, and complain to them...they should change this practice, it is robbery. All over the beaches of southeast asia, all the restuarants have their tables set up on the beach and dont charge extra for it...why should carribbean be any different??

**Coyaba. Oh Boy...i was really looking forward to this place, and man was i DISAPPOINTED! Service was not good, the place was very very overpriced, and three people in our party ended up getting some kind food poisoning from here. Even without the food poisoning (I'll give them the benefit of the doubt, it can happen anywhere), this place was wayyyy overpriced, service was lousy and the portions were tiny. Forget it.

** Tiki Hut -- great ribs, IF they dont run out of them, which happened when we were there.

Activities:

** pool and beach rock!

** the resort has 2 baby catamarans and some wind surfers. I took the cat out numerous times. They can give you a quick lesson on how to use it...it's easy, and A LOT of fun...just try not to tip it over...it's a real hassle to get upright again.

** snorkeling -- take a trip if you must, but you should know that the best snorkeling you will see is right off the beach, a 25 minute walk down the beach to the corral gardens. Amazing!! And better than a lot of the diving i have done in many parts of the world. Do it!! There are a bunch of sea turtles down there, some pretty coral, and tons of beautiful fish...it's a real treat, the water is usally much calmer than going out on a snorkeling tour, and it is shallow there, which is nice.

Hope this helps! Have a great trip!

• Stayed July 2007, travelled as a couple
21 Thank travellerdude1
Rhode Island
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2007

Where do I start? My husband and I just got back from our wedding moon in Turks and Caicos, and I wanted to give back to all you Turks Tripadvisor experts as well as those looking for some good info! We can't thanks you enough for all of your quick responses and help in planning the biggest day and vacation of our lives!

We are from Rhode Island and flew down to Turks on June 26th.
We booked our trip with Amanda Baker from Liberty Travel in Providence and were very pleased with her professionalism. She honored lower prices that I found on Beachdestinations.com to all of our guests. We flew USAIR and had no problems, the only thing that sucked was travelling with the wedding gown, lol, but they did hang it in a stow away for us.

Day 1, Tuesday, June 26th

On arrival into Turks we were greeted by a Sands representative who taxied us to the resort. When we checked in we were given a rum puch which hit the spot! Elizier then took all of our luggage up to room 1306 which is in the back of the resort building #1, 3rd floor. I was a little dissapointed being in the back of the resort but we had a huge unobstructed view of the turquoise water from our bedroom and in our great living room/kitchen.
The suite was huge, no complaints there! I did ask for an upgrade and the next day we were shown 2 other rooms but decided ours had the best view! The other rooms were definately decorated nicer and had been more updated than ours but the view alone was worth having the old school bedspread, lol.
After unpacking we ventured down to the pool/beach and headed straight for that hypnotizing water, ordered a pina colada and then hung at the pool for the managers rum punch party while listening to Quinten Dean who was great! Our vacation has gotten off to a wonderful start!!!
We decided seeing as this would be our only night alone without our 30 wedding guest we would have a romantic dinner that night. Graces Cottage which was right next door to The Sands was our 1st choice thanks to all of you Tripadvisors. We were definately loving the atmosphere, very romantic, and loved the food. We sat down at around 9:00 so there weren't many people in the restaurant. Our waiter was very attentitve and I ordered every one of his recomendations and was very pleased with each one. The chef sent out a sample app of Tuna Sashimi which was excellent then, I ordered the crab escabiche app and Eric had the Sauteed Conch app. Both were very tasty but the sauteed conch was literally 4 bites, very small, but mmm good! Next chef sent out an intermezzo of strawberry sorbet which was very refreshing, and for our main entree I had the Sea Bass and Eric had the Grouper Fish and Chip. Both dishes were excellent! Then for dessert you have to try the Chocolate Souffle it was Slammin!!! The only complaint I would have to say was the mosquitos biting my feet/legs, and it was definately overpriced! Eric and I both work in a fine dining establishment in Providence and couldn't get over the prices for the food/wine. But its our romantic dinner in Turks, so who cares! We walked back on the beach and went to bed because we were wiped!

Day 2, Wednesday, June 28

Eric and I got up and headed down to Hemmingways to meet with Elizabeth Lightbourne our wedding coordinator from NILA Destinations. She went over all of the details for the wedding and we met with Pastor Colby to go over all the legalalities.
Next, Ileana Ravasio our photographer from Tropical Imaging came to talk about all of our wants and needs for the day of the wedding. Everything was falling right into place now all we have to do is sit back, relax, and let ourselves go!
After retreating back to our room I finished up putting together our OOT (out of town bags) and brought them down to the front desk, tthey were more than happy to give them to our guests as they checked in. We also had Grace Bay car rental drop off our 4 door sedan so we could venture off the beaten path.
Eric and I never laughed so hard when we got in the car and realized we would have to adjust to the steering wheel being on the right side and driving on the left! We headed down to the Grace Bay Club to see where all of our dreams would come true for our wedding ceremony / dinner reception at Anacaona, and when we walked on the grounds we were more than impressed!
After checking that out we dropped a few OOT Bags off at Comfort Suites where a few of our guests were staying and we headed back to the Sands.
Now it was time to throw the bathing suits on and head down to the pool/beach to relax and wait for our guests to arrive!
At around 3:30 both of our immediate families and a few friends arrived and the fun really had just begun!
That night we all headed out to the Tiki Hut for Chx/Rib night. I called at around 7:30 to make a reservation for 22 people and the guy was very rude, saying they wouldn't be able to accomodate us. I proceeded to tell him we could be split up and he was still saying no. Then I said take our name down we are coming and we will wait at the bar and drink until we can be accomodated, lol! When we arrived I went up to the podium and he said he had no reservation under our name, @&%*(&^??
So I told him again what I had said before we will be at the bar come and get us when our table is ready, LOL. I think my old school Sicilian father who looks like he could be on the Soprano's wasnt too happy, the next thing I know our party of 22 is being sat, together!! I asked my father is he slipped him some money and he said "no, I told him I was goin to break his legs", LOL!!! No, he did slip him some money and we were sitting within 5 minutes, and I dont think the people who were waiting for tables were very pleased, but oh well, $$$ talks! The chx/ribs, buckets-o-beer, and the tiki cups were a hit! Overall good experience at the Tiki Hut, other than the rude concierge.

Day 3, Thursday, June 28th

All of the guys had an early tee time at Provo Golf Club while the girls had fun in the sun, hanging with family and friends at the pool/beach. I was anxiously awaiting for our other guests to arrive, but enjoying the splendors of Turks!
Rehearsal dinner was at 6:00 in between the Sands and Sibonne/ Bay Bistro being catered by the Kissing Fish.
I find out while getting ready for the Rehearsal dinner my guests still haven't arrived and that 2 of my guests aren't coming at all to the wedding because USAIR had major problems in Providence and there was a 7 hour delay and that 3 of my friends were still coming but wouldn't be in Turks until 3:30 Friday, eessh. I giess there were cancellations the night before and that screwed everyhting up!
The Rehearsal Dinner was quite a success, the food was excellent, the atmosphere was unbeatable! We had 5 tables decorated with white linen and china, candles on the tables, and tiki torches surrounding us. The sunset that night was the most beautiful sunset the whole week! And to top it all of we had a bonfire to boot! We were greeted by a nice man who came trotting down the beach with his horse Freckles and he stopped to let us pet him and take pics. We were also graced with a potcake for dinner, he wasn't a bothersome, we actually gave hime some scraps and he seemed to fit right in! The night ended with some drinks back and Hemmingways, and then we all retreated back to our room for some more nightcaps! What a BLAST!

Day 4, Friday, June 29th, OUR WEDDING DAY!!!

Eric and the boys went deep sea fishing with J&B Tours while,
I had an 11:00 Am appointment at Spa Tropique for a basic mani $50 / basic pedi $60.00. RIPOFF!!! A rattan wicker chair to sit in and a Dr. Scholl's foot spa for my $60.00 pedi. Olive was very nice and have no complaints about her but overall I wouldn't recommend.
Olive advised me to stay out of the sun, sand, and pool, so my nails wouldn't smudge, but after following her advice guess what? At 2:30 after relaxing under the umbrella at the pool with family and friends I went to my air conditioned room to start to get ready for my big day. I hopped in the shower and I lathered up my legs with a loofah poof, to my surprise when I got out of the shower my nails were a DISASTER! The hairdresser Brigitte who did a WONDERFUL job arrived as I noticed this mess of what I called a french manicure, and advised me that they needed to come up to the room and fix this! I called down to the spa and they said that they would try and get someone up to fix it!
This was unacceptable and I had my maid of honor go down there and Olive was sitting at the computer playing solitaire waiting for her next appointment. My sister convinced her she was needed and she obliged. I think that the polish was too goopy and I had too many coats, anyway, that was the only glich in the matrix! Soon after my updo with its beautiful flowers in it were done Elizabeth and Ileana the photographer showed up at my suite! Elizabeth had the flower bouquets which were fuschia bougenvillea, so pretty! I proceeded to get my dress and veil on and took pictures on the beautiful grounds at the Sands. We even took some of me in my dress on the tennis court seeing as I am a tennis pro that was pretty cool!
Arrived at the GBC at 6:00 and had our barefoot beach ceremony which was all that we could of dreamed of and more!
Ileana and her assistant Kelly took the most amazing pics of us and our guests!!!! My favorite pic was the flower petal shower where they get on a ladder and take the pic of the group throwing them in the air! We did the blessing of the stones which was cool and then all of our guests went up to the lounge in Anacaona for drinks and apps.
Cocktail hour was great and the food was excellent. Dinner went off without a hitch and everyone loved the food. They did let us put in a mixed cd we brought so we could dance to our song and the father daughter dance.
After dinner we danced the night away to Tropical Soul who was playing there that night. And off we went back to our suite at the Sands as husband and wife!
What a beautiful setting at the Grace Bay Club we couldn't have asked for anything more perfect!

Day 5, Saturday, June 30th

Recovery from the night before! We hung out at the pool/ beach and couldn't wait for the full moon party that night which was being catered by The Kissing Fish! They were roasting the 150 pound pig on the beach in front of Bay Bistro all day!
We took advantage of the catamaran/ hobie cats, kayaks, and snorkeling equipment from the Sands and just enjoyed another day in paradise!
That night the beach bbq was a hit! Had tons of fun and conch fritters, lol. The pig was delicious and the drinks were flowing. They even had an ice luge, thats when it started to get CRAZY!
For $60.00 all you can eat and drink from 7-10pm, it was worth every penny!

Day 6, Sunday, June 31st

Eric's family and I had breakfast at Bay Bistro which was a little bit better than Hemmingways's. Try the French Toast it is yummy!
Then we hung out with them until it was time for them to leave to go to the airport.
That afternoon we headed down to Coral Gardens for some snorkeling, about a 25 minute walk from The Sands. We thought the snorkeling was better in between Coral Gardens and Beaches! We saw some beautiful fish, better luck next time trying to find the turtles! Headed back to the Sands had a photo op under the pier and then watched the sunset under a palapa with a cold frosty pina colada! What a gorgeous relaxing moment!
That night we went to Tokyo I think? Sushi restaurant in the Salt Mills Plaza. We sat outside and feasted on sushi, it was very good and our waiter Dedroy, aka Ron was hysterical! Ask for him next time you go and you'll hear all about his alias name Ron!!!!

Day 7, Sunday, July 1st

to be continued, im getting tired of typing, lol!

• Liked — The beach
  • Disliked — Our room needed updating like the others.
  • Stayed June 2007
4 Thank pitrone22
Virginia, USA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2007

My wife and I recently returned from a very relaxing pre-baby trip to the Sands at Grace Bay. We had a wonderful time, would return to this resort in a heart beat, and highly recommend it to others, especially those on the East Coast who may be looking for an easily accessible and quiet get-away.

Turks & Caicos was a perfect choice for this particular trip as we wanted a place with beautiful beaches and within a relatively short distance from home. Only an hour-and-a-half plane ride from Miami and with some of the Caribbean's best beaches, Turks satisfied both goals. Since we did 5 days and 4 nights, we wished to maixmize our amount of time for enjoyment.

The quick flight and clearance through Customs in Turks and a short drive (about 20 mins) to the resort) meant we were on the beach late in the afternoon of our arrival. By taking the later flight (3:30) home, we got to spend a few hours at the beach on Monday morning as well.

We chose the Sands because of its price range and strong reviews it received on this site. We selected it from amongst the Royal West Indies and Ocean Club. We did not visit either of those sites so I can't provide a head-to-head comparision. However, the Sands lived up to our expectations.

The hotel staff were very polite and attentive. The Sands offers kayaking, windsurfing and hobbie boards, along with rafts and tubes, for the guests. The water in Grace Bay was amazingly calm, enabling us to simply relax for long periods of time in the calm waters.

The resort is laid out beautifully with a garden and ornate pool in the center of 6 3-story condo units. We had a very nice ground floor courtyard unit a 2-min walk to the beach and just steps from the pool.

The cab ride or shuttle to the IGA (between $16 and $20) is worth the expense. My wife and I bought fruit and some other lunch and breakfast foods that we enjoyed in our room and on the beach. This gave us a greater variety of food and reduced the expense of eating at the one restaurant, though a number of breakfast and lunch items were very reasonably priced.

We did frequent Hemingway's most nights for dinner and found the variety and prices to be reasonable. We did venture to Turtle Cove one evening for the Baci restaurant which was also very good. The cab rides tended to be between the $16 to $20 range, though we did pay nearly $40 to get to Sunday mass at the Catholic Church, which we highly recommend for Catholic visitors.

The only small negative was a very loud DJ set up for much of Saturday on a nearbye public access part of the beach. The music was a bit loud and out of character with the rest of the area, but this was a minor negative.

All in all, this was the perfect location, destination, and length of stay for the quiet relaxation we were seeking. If you are looking for beautiful beaches and quiet relaxation not too far from the US, choose the Sands and Turks & Caicos.

11 Thank NorthernVATraveler
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2007

We stayed at the Sands in June for 7 days and really enjoyed it. Provo is expensive and we chose the Sands as it was one of the more budget conscious hotels and there was no construction nearby based on reviews I’d seen here. It is my no means luxurious but it was clean and comfortable and we felt we got what we paid for.
ARRIVAL/DEPARTURE: There was a Sands rep at the airport to direct us to a taxi that promptly took us to the hotel. When we were leaving they also organized transportation to the airport. Despite reading about a $20 fee for the transportation, we were never charged. Check-in and check-out were no problem and despite arriving before check-in time we lucked out as our room was ready.
ROOM: We stayed in an Ocean-view studio and were put in building #1. I had requested not to be on the ground floor and our request was honored as we were on the 3rd floor. Our room had a great, unobstructed distant view of the beach as our building was one of the farthest from the beach. We were pleased with the room yet we did notice some very tiny ants in the bathroom but chose to ignore them as we didn’t want to room sprayed while we were there. Everyday we had clean towels and they cleaned up the dishes we had left. They also brought 2 bottle of water every night. I requested a 2nd blanket and received it no problem that same day.
HOTEL: We thought the grounds were nicely manicured and quiet. The Hotel has different buildings and are all 3 levels. Building 1 was closest to the lobby but only a short walk to the beach. The amenities room had 2 computers with free internet that were quite popular, as well as a sitting room with TV and a small gym with decent equipment and lots of A/C. There was a small convenience store with some food and alcohol and a small gift/dive shop that we had very poor service from and decided to book our diving directly with Caicos Adventures instead of through the shop (which is their satellite shop).
BEACH/POOL: Grace bay is beautiful and the stretch of beach at the Sands is quite wide. We walked to the Bight Reef which is 20 minutes down the beach past the Beaches resort and got to see some of the other hotels. Beaches seemed the most crowded with loads of beach chairs and people everywhere (it doesn’t help that their section of beach is quite narrow). Snorkeling at Bight Reef was decent and we even spotted a turtle. We did have to wake up early on a few days to secure a hut on the beach but noticed that it seemed to be the busiest on the weekend and during the week it wasn’t hard to get a hut. There were always umbrellas and chairs available at the pool if you weren’t able to find a beach hut. The pools were warm and clean although favored the ocean as it was cooler than the pool. The Sands has inflatable toys and rafts to sign out as well as 2 hobie-cats and some kayaks. We took the hobie-cat out a few times and we never had to wait more than 30-60 minutes for it and the beach staff were friendly and helpful.
RESTAURANTS: Hemingway’s is good, a nice “family restaurant” right on the beach. The Sands runs a shuttle $8/person roundtrip to the IGA twice daily. Mango Reef at the RWI’s resort is similar to Hemingway’s except is it poolside. We had a lovely meal at Bay Bistro, which is right next to the Sands. Tiki Hut has a great deal for Ribs on Wednesday nights. Pick up a Provo Dining Guide at the airport or IGA to check out the menus of all the area restaurants. Overall we felt that the service was generally “colder” than we are used to in North America but we never felt they were rude. We had better service at some places than other but in general we didn’t care to much and just went accepted it as we were on vacation.
TOURS:
Caicos Adventures: My boyfriend went diving and said it was excellent. I went along and did the snorkeling option. Fifi the dive master took us out with about 10 people and we had a great time. He really knows the area and it was a nice relaxed time. We never felt rushed or crowded and would dive with him again.
Ocean Outback’s Outback Adventure Cruise: I’d heard about this from the forum and when the Captain stopped us on the beach one day we decided to take the tour. They take you to the south part of the island (unlike most other tours) for snorkeling, a tour of a pirates cave and then a beach BBQ. The weather started our poorly and the original snorkel destination was too rough so he took us further out to another spot. The cave, despite our initial thoughts that it would be something silly, was actually interesting and the Captain plays up his role throughout the trip dressing up at times. The BBQ was excellent, chips, coleslaw, chicken and hotdogs and unlimited rum punch, beer, lemonade and pop served on the boat with fruit for dessert. And you can either stay onboard or wade out the deserted beach or just float in the water. We had a great time and there was a big age range on the boat from young kids to older adults and we thought he catered to everyone. I would definitely take his tour again.

Overall we had a great trip and would stay at the Sands again on our next trip to Provo. It is great for the budget-conscious traveler who isn't looking for anything luxurious. The Sands is a nice choice because there isn't anything on either side of it yet so the beach is not crowded and there is no construction noise at this point.

• Liked — Grace Bay Beach
  • Disliked — Having to leave
7 Thank Teenylovesthebeach30
New York City
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2007

What to expect:

My husband and I stayed for a long weekend recently. The beauty of the beach alone is enough of a reason to visit Turks and Caicos. You will find relaxation immediately from the turquoise water and the pristine beach.

The resort itself was quiet and not too small or too large. It was a mixed bag of vacationers includings guests and owners. Be it that the rooms are apartment style including kitchens/kitchenettes, some people have timeshares and stay for a long period of time. Their were young/old couples, small/large families and retirees. Anyone would fit in.

The rooms are adequate and clean. Just be aware of the poor plumbing. Toilets get easily clogged if you're not careful. Every room has a screened in balcony which is great. Their is no mini bar but I definately recommend picking up some duty free drinks at the airport on your way their. Especially some champagne!

Hemingway's was their only restaurant but certainly did not disappoint. We ate lunch their everyday but ventured out to experience a different restaurant each night. It is very easy to get a cab for around 10 dollars one way. Food is pricey so if you want to save some money I recommend bringing a bunch of energy bars to avoid a breakfast bill each morning.

One last bit of advice. Get to the beach early as you will find beach chairs "claimed" by towels and water bottles.

• Liked — accessibility to beach, quiet
  • Disliked — nothing
4 Thank nanogram
new york
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2007

I WILL NEVER STAY AT THE SANDS IN TURKS AND CAICOS AGAIN IN MY LIFETIME. As soon as I checked in and met the reception people, it was down hill from there with customer service. The beach was exceptional. The hotel was just OK. It really needs updating. The customer care, that is another story. We were forced into a crammed 'studio courtyard, room#3209' eventhough we were informed by front desk, a 3rd person is technically not allowed but yet, they allowed us to book it. When we asked to be upgraded, management got nasty with us. The manager, Deryck needs to be retrained in managment skills. He was awful and spoke to me and my 2 friends in a manner that no paying customer should be spoken to. He told us, the best he can do for us is move the 'coffee table' aside for us if we wanted to use the sofa bed. On 2nd day in RM#3209, we came upon a Huge Puddle of Water in the room under the Bed. Just imagine if the electrical plugs fell to the ground!! I would not recommend this hotel to a cockroach. The only memorable thing about this hotel is Jason. He works at front desk. Very polite with a very friendly smile. I vote he should be the new manager and Deryck rake the leaves on the grounds of The Sands!!

8 Thank lorielai