“Perfect place for relaxing”
Review of Ocean Club West

Ocean Club West
Ranked #13 of 44 Hotels in Providenciales
Reviewed 5 May 2011

My husband and I stayed there over Easter for 5 days. The Ocean Club West was perfect for us, we were looking for some not upscale place, easy going to relax and enjoy the beach. We had a standard room with island view (top floor) which was very recently remodeled (1-2 y.) and was absolutely perfect! The screened in porch is a great extension to the room, we never closed the doors so we could see and hear the palm trees.
The beach in front of the hotel is gorgeous; but rent a car for 1 day.
We loved the nearby Caicos Cafe for dinner; casual & great food.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Vespa70

Reviewed 4 May 2011

The entire resort was exactly what we were looking for. Beach was perfect. Location of OCW is within walking distance to all. Market nearby to stock up on essentials. Had a Jr. Suite that had a huge balcony. Highly recommend.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank konablues
Reviewed 29 April 2011

Our first stay in T&C and OCW. I only have positive comments about our entire trip. The grounds are beautifully maintained with free form pool and well spaced lounge chairs. It was never crowded, sometimes we felt like it was our own personal place it was so empty. Staff is friendly and courteous. Beaches are breathtaking and you can walk for miles, also not overcrowded like most islands.
Supermarket is close by I would recommend stocking up on some food, as it is expensive to eat every meal out, we had breakfast in the room and it's convenient to heat up leftovers from dinner for lunch the next day. Ate at OCW's Seaside cafe, Danny Bouy's, Jimmy's Dive Bar, Tiki Hut in the Turtle cove marina. Great food at all locations...
Rent a car or scooter and explore the islands. Taylor bay and Long bay are beautiful, not marked you have to find them and walk through short trail to reach beaches but worth it!
Jet Ski - you gotta do it, the 2 hour tour is best, you go really far and see alot and make a stop on another island. water is a little choppy in spots, just hold on tight!
We even got to watch a wedding on the beach one morning...
All in all a relaxing vacation on a laid-back island that is not yet overcrowded like most we have been to.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank nymom1966
Reviewed 6 April 2011

I stayed at Ocean Club West with my wife, parents, and inlaws in late March. We rented a 3 bedroom beachfront condo which was absolutely fantastic. Plenty of room, fabulous amentities, and a great view. The room was always clean and well appointed. We could not believe how uncrowded both the pool and beach area were throughout our vacation. We had no problems whatsoever getting a beach or pool chairs together with umbrellas any time of day. The grounds were impeccably maintained and looked fabulous. Every staff member we spoke with was very courteous and helpful. When our return flight to Miami was cancelled, the front desk was courteous and helpful, even checking with us to see if we need a room for an extra night. They also kept us up to date on flight status and taxi schedules. Overall, great vacation and would recommend Ocean Club West to anyone.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank nickorino
Reviewed 6 April 2011

We spent a week in a one bedroom suite at OCW and it was a great choice (our first trip to TCI, so I don't have direct comparisons). The condo/resort has a very relaxed, beach-y feel, but the grounds are beautifully maintained, the maid service and amenities (soap, shampoo, lotion, wall hairdryer, etc) feel like a hotel, plus you have a full kitchen and tons of space.

We traveled with 2 kids (10 and 15) so asked for a rollaway bed so each kid had his/her own bed (and my husband and I had the bedroom). The living area was large enough that opening the queen sleep sofa and the rollaway bed at night wasn't a problem and we could still walk through to the patio between the beds.

The screened patio (which wraps around the living area) is wonderful. You can leave all the windows open for breezes and no bugs (we did use bug spray when dining outside in the evenings and I was glad I brought along a tube of Benadryl cream to soothe the itches). There was air conditioning but we didn't use it as we had the fans going (2 in the living area and one in the bedroom) and windows all open. The bedroom has one wall of louvered windows so it was wonderful to have those open for breezes.

The pool was nice, but other than my daughter using it once we spent time at the beach - the resort is on a great stretch of beautiful Grace Bay. There are plenty of chairs and umbrellas and the resort has a policy (not enforced) of no saving of chairs. Ocean Club provides the pool/beach towels (never had a problem with supply as they kept the two areas stacked) but they don't make you sign for them (as some other resorts I've stayed at do). What that means is that some people just leave their towels on beach chairs and go in for the day - I took sunset pictures one day walking a long way down Grace Bay and when I came back in the near dark, the chairs were strewn with towels that people obviously weren't coming back to.

What this means is that when you arrive you might think that chairs with towels were being used by people in the water or who had just gone for a drink or a bathroom break. That's what I thought the day I arrived, but I quickly realized that if there were no other items around the chairs or umbrellas, that meant it was available.

The water was warm, the sand like white flour and the swimming area marked off by a buoy line so you didn't have to worry about boats or jet skis.

We rented a car and I was glad we did. We went to Chalk Sound, Sapodilla Bay, Blue Hills (for da Conch Shack, twice!) Smith's Reef, Jodi's SNUBA (at Windsong Resort) and explored various parts of the island we couldn't have easily reached otherwise. We used Grace Bay Car Rental and they were fine. It would have been fun to have rented something convertible (last year on Grand Cayman we had a PT Cruiser convertible and that was a blast), but I didn't see any from any agency.

We ate at the Seaside Cafe a couple of times, and it was OK - very nice to have the convenience. We went to the Cabana Bar at Ocean Club (East) once and it was pretty reasonable too. We used the Graceway Gourmet, which is very close, to get lots of breakfast and lunch things and then ate out for dinner. It was lovely to be able to do a leisurely breakfast, eat out on the porch, and have the types of fruit and cereal I'd typically have (and that are hard to get in a restaurant). I've done restaurant reviews for many of the places we ate out, but Ocean Club West is in a pretty great location for getting to lots of excellent food.

The wireless internet was fine - didn't work in the bathroom, so I couldn't use my iPhone in there, but we managed to cope :) You get a code to use the wireless in your suite plus the lobby and Seaside cafe have unprotected wireless networks. The internet in the business center at the front desk (you can print out boarding passes there) is horrendously, painfully slow - much, much slower than the wireless in the suite. But it did eventually get the job done - I wouldn't want to have to use that for more than printing boarding passes though.

The maid service was great - they'd run the dishwasher for you as well as clean up the bathrooms and make the bed. Everything worked, so I don't know how maintenance would have been.

I put a suggestion into the guest book that having a folding dryer rack for the porch for hanging swim wear would be a great addition (I saw one other unit with one, but we didn't have one; there was a dryer but I prefer to air dry swimsuits). Other than that I can't think of much I'd change. We had a really great time.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family
8  Thank jsnover
Reviewed 31 March 2011

Our condo was beachfront, beautifully appointed, and extremely comfortable. We noticed that most resorts other than Ocean Club have balconies, but not screened in, so you can't leave windows open at night. We had a huge, screened-in balcony so we were opened up all day and night. The staff is very friendly and helpful, and work to accommodate your every need. You have access to everything (beach, restaurant, boats, bikes) at Ocean Club East as well, including a free shuttle over there. One downside of Ocean Club West is that if you want to rent a sailboat or other watercraft, you have to go over to Ocean Club East, which is about a mile away by walking. There are free bikes if you can find them (people seem to hoard them, so grab one first thing in the morning). It is a five minute walk to the grocery store (be ready for $8 bread, which is still cheaper than a restaurant), and there are plenty of wonderful restaurants within walking distance or by shuttle. I would (and will) definitely stay there again. The beach is pleasantly uncrowded...don't worry about those chair-hggers here!

Room Tip: third floor beachfront...great!
  • Stayed: March 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank thomps97
Reviewed 27 March 2011

We had the pleasure of staying at both Ocean Club Resorts because Ocean Club East could not accommodate us when we wanted to extend our stay in Provo. The staffs of each hotel went out of their way to make the switch as easy as poosible. We were allowed a late check-out at East and an early check-in at West. We thought our junior suite at East was fabulous until we stayed at the much grander two bedroom apartment at West which was incredibly furnished, very light and airy with multiple exposures, and which contained a screened-in patio that could easily fit 30 people. The two bedroom apartment offered everything one needed for a very long stay on the island. The Resorts have a wonderful staff, magnificent beaches, and reasonably priced restaurants with delicious food and lots of choices. The glamorous Opus was among our favorites for evening dining. The only criticism we had was that there was no heated pool at either resort. Since the hotel (and all the other excellent resorts on the island are on the Caribbean, not the Atlantic, some warm water for swimming would have been appreciated. I think that many other more expensive (and glitzy) hotels do have heated pools. But this is a small negative for the overall outstanding vacation we spent in lovely quiet, family oriented resorts.

• Stayed: March 2011