Ocean Club West was a terrific place to stay. Grace Bay Beach is simply beautiful, and OCW has one of the widest stretches of beach. During our stay, we never had trouble finding chairs/umbrellas, and the resort offers free towel service by the pool/for the beach. The pool is a meandering oval, almost like a very lazy lazy river, and you can find random floats/rafts to use.
The rooms have everything you need: Full kitchen with dishes/pots and pans/small applicances, washer/dryer, screened-in balconies (most of the neighboring resorts do not have screened-in outdoor space), ceiling fans.
OCW is within walking distance to enough restaurants for a week's worth of dinners and then some. The Graceway Gourmet supermarket is a 10-minute walk and has a good selection, including wine/beer. The prices are higher than you'd find in the U.S., but still less than if you were to eat out. (Example: a box of cereal was about $7, a half gallon of milk was about $5.)
The staff at OCW is all very friendly, particulary Rochelle and Kharise at the front desk. (Vanessa is super friendly but doesn't seem to have a sense of urgency.)
Our first night, we were repeatedly awakened by a screaming baby in the next room. (I don't know if the poor boy's ears hadn't popped, or what, but it wasn't typical "my diaper is wet" crying.) The next morning, I went to the front desk and first asked when the baby room was checking out. Not till the same day as us, so I asked if we could be moved. At first I was told they didn't have a comparable room available for the duration of our stay, but then after management was consulted, it turned out they did (I guess whoever was supposed to get that room got an upgrade). Once we were moved it was much more peaceful.
OCW has a nice casual outdoor restaurant (just off the beach) on the premises, the Seaside Cafe. Try the grilled fish of the day -- yum! You can get a free shuttle to the sister Ocean Club east (about a 15-minute walk up the beach) and dine at the similar Cabana Bar on the beach or Opus restaurant (fancier and a very nice atmosphere), and can charge back to your room.
Other restaurants we tried and would recommend: Coyaba, Hemingway's.
We rented a car for one day from Grace Bay Car Rentals (within walking distance; for one day including tax/etc. it was about $63). We were able to drive around the entire island and see the sights in a day -- went to the Northernmost Resort (very isolated!), went to the south side -- Chalk Sound, Sapodilla Bay -- and went out to the east side where one can catch the ferry to Middle/North Caicos and drove around the Leeward neighborhood.
OCW also provides a few free bikes for use -- first come, first-served. Check the tires before riding off, we found a few with flats.
We went snorkeling with Caicos Adventures, which was a good 4-hour trip with a few stops (if you've never snorkeled before, tell them ahead of time, because the boat crew didn't give one tiny sentence of instruction before anchoring and telling everyone they could jump in). The boat made stops for conch diving (which the crew turned into conch salad when we stopped on Iguana Island for an hour), snorkeling along the reef, and for sand dollars.
All in all, OCW was just right. Not too crowded, not too desolate; in a perfect location. We would definitely go back.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Ocean Club Resorts is comprised of two beachfront properties, Ocean Club and Ocean Club West, located one mile apart on stunning Grace Bay Beach. The intimate resorts offer a “Stay at one, Play at both” opportunity for guests to enjoy all the services and amenities of both. An easy stroll down a beautiful stretch of beach is the popular way to get between the two resorts, although guests can be chauffeured by a complimentary shuttle. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, West Indies, TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly, getaroom.com and Cancelon so you can book your Ocean Club West reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Ocean Club West Hotel Providenciales
- Ocean Hotel Providenciales
- Ocean Hotel West
- Ocean Club West Turks Caicos
- Ocean Club West Turks And Caicos/Providenciales