“Tropical home away from home”
Review of Ocean Club West

Ocean Club West
Ranked #14 of 44 Hotels in Providenciales
Va. Beach
“Tropical home away from home”
Reviewed 14 December 2013

Ocean Club West was the perfect place for a relaxing vacation - all the amenities of home with a gorgeous beach and pool right outside. We have visited here before, and love the proximity to fine restaurants, the grocery store, shopping, while still feeling away from it all at the resort. This time we stayed in a second floor unit, and we appreciated being high enough to get a nice view and breeze (with more privacy than on the first floor), but not having to walk up and down the stairs to the third floor this time. We went diving with Provo Turtle Divers most days, which was awesome! Provo continues to be easy to get to and very friendly to those of us from the US - without having to change money, etc.

Room Tip: We liked being on the second floor with a view of the ocean and pool - nice view but not as many sta...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank kathydiverVaBeach

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (248)
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 11 December 2013

We stayed at OCW Plaza which gave us access to all amenities at OCW. The Fitness center and tennis courts were great as was the pool, B-B-Q's and beach. The on-site bar and grill was very enjoyable. The entire resort is well kept and extremely clean. The staff was friendly and always willing to help. The bike's are a wonderful way to tour and there are plenty of fine dining options within walking distance including a great bakery across the street for breakfast. I only wish they had a hot tub on the property! Highly recommend staying here.

Room Tip: Except for one real windy day, there were always lounge chairs available late morning around the poo...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Rocks747
South Dakota
Reviewed 7 December 2013

We had a great condo in Sea Grape, #732 on the third floor. Great exercise, no elevators to heads up. We arrived and were checked in by Vanessa who was very welcoming. Our unit was facing the ocean/pool with limited view, but we had a great screened in and private balcony. The room itself was nicely furnished and stocked, nice linens, comfortable and clean. The housekeeping staff were all wonderful and met our needs and requests without issue.

The first morning when we went to leave in our vehicle, and the battery was dead. i contacted the front desk and they sent out a gentleman who jumped the battery for us and we were on our way. We had several general requests all of which were handled promptly by the front desk.

We have several meals in the Seaside Cafe at both Ocean Club West and East and had great food. One night we had the special, one BBQ and one pan sauteed whole snapper, both delicious. Try the Grouper sandwich or sliders and definitely try the conch chowder!

The beach is gorgeous and wonderful, with plenty of fresh clean towels, chairs and umbrellas.

A huge thanks to the staff at Ocean Club West for a great and memorable stay!!

Thanks Ocean Club west for a great

Room Tip: Ocean views are limited except for the buildings closest to the beach, however the units in those bu...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank gwilliams901
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 22 November 2013

My husband and I are in our early forties and enjoyed a most relaxing and pleasant stay here. Ocean Club resorts were recommended by some friends of ours who like to stay at the older Ocean Club (not the West one where we stayed). The original Ocean Club is a bit further down Grace Bay Beach and maybe even more quiet, although we thought that it was very quiet where we were also, seeing that we went during the off season. We rode bicycles down to the other resort (you can use both facilities if you stay at one) and we liked the West version better as it is newer and close to shopping so it is easy to just walk to the grocery store, restaurants and shops. It is also less expensive at OCW per room for some reason and I'm not sure why? We had a basic suite, which faced the island view and we had a lovely tropical oasis of palm trees and flowering tropical plants right outside the screened in veranda which is huge and another room onto it's own! We often had our breakfast or lunch at the table there since it was so peaceful. At first, I was a bit disappointed that we didn't spend extra on the ocean view room, but after being there a few days, we found that it was nice to spend time at the beach but then come back to our shady peaceful abode. The beach is easy to get to from anywhere on the resort, no matter what building or room you are in...literally just steps away. We were on the second floor, room 524 in the Sea Espirit building. It had a fully equipped kitchenette with 2 stovetop burners, fridge, coffee maker (ice maker in the fridge which was super convenient!), blender, toaster, microwave, glasses, dishes, sponges, papertowels, dish soap...basically anything you could want. Our room didn't have a hair dryer and I suppose if I asked for one, the front desk would have provided it, but it turned out that I wore my hair up most of the time or just let it air dry which is better for it anyway. So, ladies, if you need to primp, you may want to bring your own hair dryer! An example of how good the staff are, Shaun who took us to our room when we arrived, came to check in on us later in the week and coincidentally, we had just found out that the blender didn't work (a failed attempt at making pina coladas!). Shaun took the broken one and came back with a brand new one in minutes so all was not lost. The grounds here are very clean and beautifully landscaped with tropical flora everywhere. Pool is beautiful and large. There are clean grills in the pool area but we never got around to using them. We bought groceries at the Graceway supermarket down the street. Yes, food and wine is much higher than it is at home but everything is imported and they have to pay high duty taxes on it so that's why. We just factored it into the cost of getting away to paradise. We ate lots of conch, the pool bar at OCW has an award winning conch salad for 9 bucks that we ate a few times. We rode our bikes out to the Conch Farm (about a 20 minute bike ride) and had a tour...very interesting! We used the fitness center which is small but just what you need really. Equipment was decent. I got a massage at Spa Tropique which has a room in the fitness center building. It was excellent and if you search for reviews for the spa, you will see my review there. The beach was just as everyone has said...beautiful. The sand is soft and white, lots of coral and seashells for beachcombers like me,just make sure there are no little creatures living in the shells you are taking...there are plenty of shells that are clean and empty to find. The water was crystal blue and warm, like floating in silk. We brought are own snorkel gear and went snorkling off the beach. For reefs, we took a trip with Island Vibes (separate review for them) and they took us out to the barrier reef which apparently is the 3rd largest in the world, making Provo one of the best diving spots on earth. We also got some local tips on good spots right off the beach such as Smith's Reef near Turtle Cove Marina (you could bike or cab there...bike ride might be too long...we had a local drive us). Also, the reef park in front of Coral Gardens Hotel was cool...they actually map out a "reef trail" and it is steps off the beach. We had a cab drop us off there. After snorkeling, which was fabulous by the way, we had a drink at a fun bar at the resort called "Somewhere" and they called us a cab back to OCW. Locals are very friendly here and we never felt like we were "haggled" as we often do when visiting Jamaica. Since we went in mid-November which is the tail end of hurricane season (although weather was sunny and in the mid 80's every day), is that the island is extra quiet and some of the tours don't run. My husband tried to get a bottom fishing trip with Silver Deep and I got a bit frustrated with them as they said to keep calling back as they weren't sure they would have enough guys signed up. It never worked out. So, you just have to go with the flow...island style. There is plenty of stuff to do here or nothing if that's what you want too. You could walk for miles on the beach and many restaurants are in the hotels right on Grace Bay beach and you can walk right up to them. We walked down to Rickie's Flamingo Cafe, which is closer to the other Ocean Club side of the beach. It was decent. Maybe a better lunch place than a dinner place though. We also went to Shark Bite over in Turtle Cove Marina one night after we snorkeled Smith's Reef, and the called us a cab back to OCW. Next to OCW, there is a fancier high rise resort (walk in the direction of the old OC) which has a restaurant called Anaconda. We didn't eat here but one morning I walked by as they were setting up and they have a groovy "Infinity" bar which looked neat and so I would love to try that next time. We would stay here again in a heartbeat. This was our first trip to TCI...we have been to many islands but this is one of the most beautiful we have seen. We have a special place in our hearts for Jamaica as we were married there in 2010, but I must say that Provo is cleaner and while there is still poverty among the "belongers" (that's the term for the local TCI natives) we didn't feel it I our face in the same way as Jamaica if that makes sense. For example, in JA, it saddens me to see the animal situation, mainly dogs, that run wild and are starving and not treated well, as the people there often can't feed themselves. In TCI, they have 2 very good animal welfare organizations and they have an adoption program for the dogs (they call them "Potcakes"), where you can even arrange to adopt them and bring them home with you on the plane. My hubby and I joked that we would surprise our own doggie at home with bringing home a Potcake but I don't think that would go over to well with her she is a very spoiled, "only" dog! As an animal lover, it was nice to see an island like TCI taking care of their animals. In closing this "long" review (although that's what we come to Trip Advisor for, right?), here's an interesting tidbit if you are still on the fence about OCW...we ran into a lovely retired couple staying there for a month. They used to live on the island for 25 years...built a house there and all. They sold it 2 years ago and now live back in the States, but visit Provo every year about this time. Out of all the resorts...they said this one was the best. Best value...nicest staff. Afterall, all those resorts are sharing the same ocean and beach, right? So that made us feel like we had chosen the best spot. It is truly a special place and we hope to return someday soon. Lastly, I confess I was on a secret mission to meet or at least get a glimpse of their national treasure, Jo Jo the Dolphin, a famous wild dolphin that has been seen in the waters of Grace Bay for 25 years. Unfortunately, Jo Jo didn't make an appearance, last we heard he had an offspring and was with a female over the summer. I guess that means I'll just have to go back again, oh well. He is known to be friendly and swim with you...just remember he is a wild dolphin so be respectful, not touching, etc. You can learn more by searching the web for Jo Jo the dolpin. It's an interesting story. Getting there: It's nice that the airport is a short drive from the resort and not another hour through scary roads like some islands. So, once you land and get through customs, you can be at your resort and on the beach usually within an hour. Cab fare from the airport for the 2 of us was around 30 bucks plus tip. We flew from Boston to Miami and had a 2 hour layover there, then an hour and a half flight to Provo. Next time, I would try Jet Blue as they have direct from Boston so the travel would be easier. Have fun, keep an open mind and if you happen to meet Jo Jo, tell him the girl in the yellow polka dot bikini said hello!

Room Tip: I noticed that the top floor rooms had vaulted ceilings...I would ask for one of those next time as...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
8 Thank RunawayBayBride11710
Westlake Village, California
Reviewed 11 November 2013

Stayed here with my family and friends in August 2013. The place is definitely a 3 star and needs to be renovated.

Apparently OCW shuts down the last week of August for a couple of weeks and it DEFINITELY showed in the service (or lack thereof). So here's my quick take on OCW (since I have insomnia at the moment).....

Service: very spotty and almost non-existent except for one nice lady at the front desk. Everyone else either just stares or gives a heavy sigh when you ask for something (like extra blankets/pillows).

Food: We only ate on the property once or twice. Very mediocre.

Pool: small and 80's ish.....

Rooms/Condos: The majority of the condo's are owned by individual people who then rent them out. Most of them are outdated from the 80's. I didn't mind, but I knew going in that this wasn't the Four Season's so I was okay with it. Because we were on the top floor, we have high vaulted ceilings which was nice. Don't leave any food or drink out because there are little ants that invade the place! (not OCW's fault, but just be aware of it).

Beach: Definitely the saving grace of this place! Probably one of the most beautiful beaches on T&C and the most beautiful beach I've ever been too. The water is so clear and so warm that you just walk right on in. You can walk up and down the beach for miles, which I love and can go snorkling right from the hotel.

Value: T&C is expense, so be prepared to spend double what you pay in the states. They have a market down the way where you can purchase groceries and cook. However, you'll still be paying twice the amount. For example, we purchased bacon for about $9! So just be prepared.....

Restaurants: Coco Bistro is a must! Good food, good music and good service. Hemingway's was also very good, but it took them about 45 minutes to seat our large party. Magnolia Wine Bar absolutely terrible service and mediocre food. Da Conch Shack was also yummy with beautiful views. We ran into one of the "Queer Eye for the Straight Guy" there...

Overall: I definitely wouldn't stay here again however T&C is a beautiful island and we loved it so much and it was so relaxing that we are all planning on going back June 2014. But we won't stay here again. I think we will definitely stay at the Seven Stars which is next door.

Room Tip: Adopt a puppy for about 3 hrs a day at Potcake Puppy! Its down the way from the hotel!
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
6 Thank Angelscry21
PHLPLS, Manager at Ocean Club West, responded to this review, 20 November 2013
Thank you for the recent review. I am sorry to hear that you were dissatisfied, and that we did not know this during the time of your stay. You mentioned the Four Seasons and returning to a 5-star hotel, and this is not us. I would have liked to have had the opportunity to remedy any situation and if not to your satisfaction, then look at possibly moving the reservation(s) to a 5-star if in fact this is what you wanted. Your comment that we are a 3-star is not consistent with any ranking system, including Trip Advisor where we rate 88%, with the majority as excellent. I understand it is your opinion and I am not trying to diminish or change that, but want the information shared to be as accurate as possible. We are an excellent value for Grace Bay Beach and considered one of the strongest 4-star resorts.

Ocean Club West is one of the newer 4-star resorts, complete in the year 2000. You had mentioned that the pool was “small and 80’s style”, and to be honest this makes me question whether the posting is intended for our property. The pool is quite large, has bridges going across, fountains and it’s always easy to find a chaise lounge tucked away for privacy. It is not an infinity pool if this is what was desired. There are photos of the pool, as well as the suites themselves, on the website. Our marketing is consistent with what Ocean Club Resorts offers and it is concerning when I feel someone is expecting something different. I believe if one was to compare the number of suites at any other hotel on Grace Bay Beach, 4-star or 5-star, they will not find the value or a pool as large in relation to the number of suites. We have 68 suites at Ocean Club West and are situated on 7-acres.

As is most of the Caribbean, grocery items are more expensive with many items brought in and levied custom duties. Again I appreciate any feedback that may assist future travelers to Turks & Caicos, though disagree with your comment that the cost would be double. Some items are more expensive than others, so one can be selective, but I would say if spending $100 at the grocery on a variety of items that the cost would likely be between $70 - $80 at most US grocery stores. You had mentioned a few restaurants that your group went to, and I just wanted to add that there are reasonably priced options as well.

In regards to renovations, we close annually in order to do the necessary renovations to maintain our standard. As most Grace Bay Beach hotels, Ocean Club Resorts has individually owned suites that are maintained by one of the most established management companies in the Turks & Caicos. Our resorts as well as others are run as hotels, so one may not necessarily know the suites are individually owned. You likely mentioned this as there can be some variations as far as interiors; however, all renovations are approved by the management company, as well as are consistent with our hotel.

I am happy to hear you enjoyed the cathedral ceilings of the suite, beach, water and snorkeling. I believe there is something for everyone on Grace Bay Beach, and am happy to hear you plan to return to the island.

My Best,
OCR Management
Detroit, Michigan
Reviewed 23 October 2013

My husband and I stayed here on our most recent trip to Provo. It is in a great location next to all kinds of restaurants, shops, ice cream, grocery and the potcake place of course! We never needed to rent a car as everything you could need is in walking distance. If you plan on exploring other beaches a rental car would be needed.

One reason I really love OCW, besides the great location, is how unobtrusive the resort is to the surrounding landscape. It is only three floors high and blends in really well. The beach is wide and there were always plenty of loungers on the beach. The staff did a great job of cleaning the sea grass on the beach after a few really windy days.

Seaside Cafe has an amazing lobster pasta and the view can't be beat!

We can't wait to return!

Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank ashley s
PHLPLS, Manager at Ocean Club West, responded to this review, 20 November 2013
Thank you for the great review! On behalf of all of us at Ocean Club Resorts we are delighted you enjoyed your stay and look forward to welcoming you back!

My Best,
Julia Maximo
New York
Reviewed 22 October 2013

My family stayed at OCW between 8/7 – 8/15, we had wonderful time. The 3rd floor room with partial ocean view was wonderful. It had high ceilings, big balcony, large bed room, king size bed, fully equipped kitchen and clean rooms. The air conditioner was working well but you actually do not need it because of the sea breeze at night. The grounds were maintained very well. The beach towel were always clean and well supplied. The front desk is very responsive and I have to specially thank Cortez, a polite young man who always had a big smile on his face. He answered our requests for room supplies and gave us driving directions. It was a pleasure to seeing him every day. Of course there were some cons but they were very minor things like small ants in the room and the public grill can be maintained a little better.

The OCW is a very nice place to stay. I will definitely be back. I miss Grace Bay beach already.

Room Tip: The 3rd floor is the best choice, stairs is easy.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family