“An Honest and Very Recent Appraisal of Ocean Club West” 3 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Ocean Club West
Ranked #15 of 45 Hotels in Providenciales
Caledon East, Ontario
“An Honest and Very Recent Appraisal of Ocean Club West”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2009

Well, we just got home yesterday, having stayed at Ocean Club West from July 11 - 18 inclusive. The trip began on a bit of a sour note, as originally, I was promised a room on the third floor in building C, with a partial ocean view. When we arrived, we were put into a room on the first floor much further away from the beach, with no ocean view at all. I'm not sure if it was the ceiling fans that were swaying back and forth loosely, the stain on the drapes in the master suite or the cloth on the furniture, which was in need of a cleaning, but needless to say, this suite was not up to par. In addition, we had to walk through my husband's mother's room to get to ours, which created a privacy issue. The next morning, I spoke to the front desk, and to their credit, they did move us. They put us in a 3rd floor unit closer to the beach. It was an upgrade, at no additional cost. That unit met our expectations, albeit there were still some minor challenges - a can opener that didn't work, a dishwasher that leaked onto the kitchen floor, a cupboard that was taped up, as it was broken, and a safe that malfunctioned on our last day there. On a positive note, the unit was tastefully decorated, the kitchen was fairly well-equipped, and it was clean and pleasant, with a beautiful view of the ocean. For those interested, it was unit 131/132 in building A. Now, on a more positive note, the beach was outstanding. The water was crystal clear, with beautiful hues of green and blue. The beach was not crowded, and the hotel had umbrellas and loungers set up. The hotel pool was also very nice. The Seaside Cafe, served a good breakfast. It ranged from about $10-$12 USD. The service was very good. After dusk, they provided bug spray, to ward off the mosquitoes and the no see-ums. The lunch menu, which was o.k., could be ordered up until 9 p.m., which was convenient. My daughter tried a lot of the menu, and it was very good. To buy groceries for our unit, we had to walk 20 minutes or so to the Graceway Gourmet (part of IGA), or we could take a cab for $6.00 per person. To get to the bigger IGA in Provo, it was $10.00 per person, using the Shopper's Shuttle. However, a cab could be secured for about $7.00 per person. I would have thought that the hotel might have a complimentary shuttle for guests to make things more convenient, but they only provided transportation between their site, and the Ocean Club (further east). Ocean Club had a small convenience store, the Cabana Grill (similar to the Seaside), and a higher end restaurant called Opus. We only went once to Ocean Club, which is very similar to the Ocean Club West, but older., and ate at the Cabana Grill. It had comparable food to our own Seaside Cafe. Local restaurants were a 12-15 minute walk from the property, and in some cases, the food was more expensive, or similar to that which one could get at the hotel. Again, it would have been nice to have more access to reasonably priced transportation, so that we could sample more of a variety of restaurants and local fare. The cab fare for a party of five made going off the property extremely costly and prohibitive. The service was o.k., depending on who you dealt with. On one extremely hot day, one of the gentlemen drove us back to our unit in the golf cart, of which we were most appreciative. However, when I pulled out the $5.00 US tip, he made no effort to help us to our unit, and we were left to lug multiple grocery bags up 28 stairs. Yes, there are NO ELEVATORS, so if you have any disability issues, do NOT even think about being anywhere but on the first floor. In comparison, another gentleman helped us right into our unit with our grocery bags, and was very courteous. Therefore, service varied. On our last day, I called down at 6 p.m. to get help with our luggage, as our taxi was to arrive at 6:30 p.m. NO ONE CAME. We struggled down 28 stairs, with very heavy bags, and if it wasn't for my husband and my daughter's boyfriend, I don't know how were would have managed. We had my 80 year old mother-in-law with us, and there was no way she could manage luggage and 28 stairs. I should mention that one of the nice things the hotel did was put a bottle of champagne in the room with a card to congratulate her on her 80th birthday. We informed them that we were bringing her in honour of her 80th year, to celebrate. On the other hand, when we settled our bill, we paid $200 USD in cash, and no where was it mentioned on the receipt until I asked the front desk clerk to write it down. The balance was put on credit card, but imagine that you have a bill that doesn't correspond with the credit card statement. I insisted that it be notated. To me, this was poor business practice. In summary, would I go back to this hotel? No, I wouldn't. I had mixed feelings about the experience overall. Here are the pros/cons in a nutshell.

Pros: excellent beach, nice pool, relaxing, Seaside Cafe
Cons: mediocre service on occasion, lack of reasonably priced transportation in area, Provo on a whole is very $$$$, be prepared to spend LOTS of money

Suggestions to Ocean Club West to improve the experience: check your units out for repairs (small things DO make a difference in one's impression), provide a shuttle to and from the Graceway Gourmet, AT LEAST, so people can get groceries without a lot of extra expense, improve the check out experience

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
4 Thank amm638

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (237)
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2009

We booked 11 days at Ocean Club West in May 2009, and it was well worth it!

The Room: We stayed in a Junior Suite, which had a fully equipped kitchen, washer and dryer, bedroom, living room, balcony, definatly very spacious for two people! I loved the fact that our balconies were screened in, allowing us to keep the doors and windows open all day and night, so there was a nice breeze! It was awesome, we only used the AC a few times.

The Location: The hotel is right on Gracebay Beach, our room had a partial ocean view which was nice, but we spent most of our time on the beach. We walked the beach up to Emerald Point which is definatly worth the walk, very pretty beach over there. We also took the bikes that the hotel provides to Turtle Cove, which honestly, was a little disappointing. Grace Bay is definatly the place to stay if you want to spend time on the beach.

The Food: We also biked to the IGA (supermarket) there are two IGA's the farther one, one Leeward Highway is cheaper, but everything on the island is very expensive! Butter for $3.00 and Juices around $8.00. We did pack a ton of non-perishables so we only had to shop a couple times. So I would say bring what you can, because the food is pricy! We did go out one night to Danny Buoy's which was a nice Irish style pub, I got a pizza and my fiance had a burger, we loved it! But we did make most of our own food.

Amenities: We used the bikes pretty much everyday to explore the island. Some of the roads are dirt, so it is not an easy ride. But you can get to Turtle Cove on main roads. We went to "The Hole" which was a major disappointment, and one LONG ride. I would say skip it, unless you want to see a hole in the ground with dirty water, not much to see... The tennis courts were great, we played a few times. The internet is free in the lobby, but its pretty slow. Our rooms had floats for the pool and ocean, which we loved!

The Service: The hotel was extremely helpful in every way possible. I can honestly say their service was great! We had no problems or complaints!

The Beach: The first day we arrived we swam a ways down the beach towards Emerald Point. It was amazing because we saw a wild dolphin about 500 feet away from us in the ocean!!! It was crazy, definatly the best part of my week. Also the sunsets are pretty nice if you can catch them. The last night we stayed we say a rainbow on the beach, so overall I would say this is one of the nicest beaches I've ever seen!

Also, if you have a chance and enjoy horsebackriding, Provo Ponies was well worth the money! We did a 90 minute ride, and absolutly LOVED it! They truly match you to your experience, and I ride a lot at home, so I was able to canter with a few other experienced riders, it was a blast! I would definatly recommend it!

Overall we had a great time, the resort was perfect, I don't have any complaints!

2 Thank Iwillseetheworld
Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 May 2009

We just feel in love with Turks and Caicos. OCW was such a great place to stay. Our studio was clean and it had everything you could possibly need to cook and be comfortable. Full washer and dryer was great for our long stay. The porch was a great place to spend some time eating meals, reading or just hanging out. The grocery store is 5 min. bike ride or a 15-20 min walk. Meat, fruit and veggies were a great price. Dry snacks/food was a little more expensive. Tip: bring your own dry goods from home and then buy perishables at Graceway grocery store. Great grills avail to use, they were kept pretty clean and we never had to wait to use. The OCW staff very nice. They dont know a whole lot about what there is to do so you just have to explore. Turks and Caicos not a big party scene. Great for more mellow people. There are options for nice restaurants at night but it is nothing like Mexico etc...more of a classy/mature place to visit. Great snorkeling 30 min bike ride to Coral Garden. Must eat at Hemmingways...great food, portions and prices. OCW has the best stretch of beach. Ocean Club looks to be a little older and new construction is going on by it so OCW is for sure the best place to stay if you want a great value and a great location on the beach. Turks and Caicos is just stunning and the ocean and the sand will take your breath away!!

Virginia, USA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 May 2009

We visited Turks and Caicos from May 16 - 20, 2009.
Resort room: The Ocean Club West resort is a condominium resort, like most on Turks and Caicos. We stayed in a island view studio room which came with a kitchenette (full size refrigerator with ice maker, sink, pots/pans, blender, stove top burners and microwave). Food on the island is very expensive (more so than other islands we have visited) so we ate in for breakfast and most days for lunch. The unit came with plates, glasses, serving utensils, paper towels, soap, etc... so you didn't need to buy anything. It also has a washer/dryer with small boxes of detergent provided.The unit had a very comfortable king size bed along with a seating area, TV and VCR and a screened in balcony with table and chairs, which was delightful.
Resort service: The front desk was efficient but not overly friendly. The grounds people were very polite. There is a pool bar that makes excellent strawberry daiquiris with adequate service. Beach towels are provided along with chairs and umbrellas on the beach. These were plentiful during our stay. We did get a call the day before our departure to set up taxi service to the airport at a reduced rate and it is charged to the room. There is a "spa" location at the resort but I never saw it open. The workout room had free weights and several machines, all in good condition. There are also tennis courts with equipment you can use as well as bikes for use. They do have a VCR/DVD collection of movies as well as novels you can borrow from the office.
Grounds: Beautiful gardens, lots of small geckos but not so many that they are a nuisance, beach was clean, soft sand, crystal clear water.
Island: Taxis are a bit expensive but there are plenty. The location of the Ocean Club West is perfect for walking to a number of shops and restaurants. The new grocery store is an easy walk, very clean, had a decent variety of items.
Restaurants: Hemingway's is located at The Sands resort - excellent meal, ate on the "deck" overlooking the beach and ocean, beautiful spot to watch the sunset. Service was good, steak was delicious, prices were comparable and maybe even a few dollars cheaper than some of the recommended spots. Taxi was $13 each way from Ocean Club (could walk with comfortable shoes).
The Bamboo Spot - located across the street from Ocean Club West. We just had pizza (okay) and the house salad, which was great. It came with a tasty ginger dressing and was garnished with pineapple and mangoes.
Pizza Pizza- within walking distance of Ocean Club. Pizza was good (not great) and pasta portions were huge. Great place for a simple, budget conscience meal that you can bring leftovers back for lunch the next day. The ice cream shop located below Pizza Pizza has good ice cream (coffee / cookie is flavorful).
Opus- located at Ocean Club so you can take the resort shuttle for free. Excellent atmosphere with inside, covered or outside seating. Romantic, quiet, service as attentive, food very good. We had a drink at the bar afterward and the bartender was the friendliest of all workers we met on our stay.
The poolside grille at The Grace Bay Club - located next door to the Ocean Club West. Interesting menu options but more expensive for lunch than other places. The service and seating were excellent. They do charge $7 for bottled water (only option) and a 10% service charge on top of the 10% service tax that is added to all food bills on the island. I am not sure our chicken tenders, burger and water lunch was worth $50.

Overall, it was a relaxing, do nothing vacation, which is what we wanted. The resort met our basic needs and I would recommend for families or those not looking to be pampered.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Retz11
Montreal
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 May 2009

Wow! Almost a year later and I'm still gobsmacked. I've seen quite a bit of the Caribbean, but nothing comes even close! It's not the most exciting vacation I've ever had (great for divers and snorkelers), but where else do you find puddles on the street after a rainshower, and they're turquoise?! Ocean Club West ... well we saw better, but not in our price range. It was perfect for us and the beach was to die for ... not sure why anyone would use a pool when the beach is soooo superb! The hotel suite (2 bedrooms, 2.5 baths, kitchen and living room + sunporch, fully equipped including washer/dryer with cleaning and towel service) was exactly what we wanted, steps from the beach with a view of the water from our living room. I hope to go back one day soon!

• Stayed August 2008, travelled with friends
Lima, Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2009

My husband and I booked a stay at OCW at the last minute after changing our travel plans from Mexico to Turks and Caicos. We were not sure what to expect, but were pleasantly surprised. I knew the beaches and water would be amazing, but we really liked our suite as well. We had only reserved a junior suite, but were upgraded to a 2 bedroom suite. It was a very large suite with 2 bedrooms, one upstairs and 2 1/2 bathrooms, a kitchen, living area, and 2 awesome balconies. We walked in the room and my mouth just fell open at how nice the room was. I was expecting a smaller junior suite probably with no ocean view, but got a much larger room with a spectacular ocean view. The hotel grounds were also very well taken care of and the beach was very nice as well. We didn't spend time at the pool as we prefer the beach, but it also looked very nice. There is only one restaraunt at OCW, but there are plenty of dining choices within a short distance from the hotel. Overall we really enjoyed our stay here and would return to Ocean Club West.

Highly recommend taking the Ocean Outback adventure trip with Captain Bill. It was the best thing we did while on vacation. He leaves from Sapodilla bay and takes you snorkeling, exploring a pirate cave and to a secluded beach. Lunch, and plenty of beer, soda, or rum punch was also available. Plus Captain Bill is full of personality and makes the trip so much fun.

1 Thank chandrac
Charlotte, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2009

This trip we booked a two bedroom suite and were so happy with it! The kids had their own space up stairs with two twin beds and there own full bath. Downstairs there was the main living space, 2 patio/baloncy (one off of master suite), and 1 1/2 baths, laundry. nearly 1600 sq! Plenty of room to hang out in (I've added photos of the suite.) For the life of me i cant remember our # but my master bedroom balcony looked directly at Villa Del Mar. I love OCW! No, it's not Four Seasons, or Ritz. I compare it to a Marriott level hotel except you get Condo style suites that make you feel like home. You can walk to the new grocery store from OCW (very nice walk.) And you can walk to some decent restaurants, Bella Luna is one of our favorites. We always rent a car and again went to our favorite spots, Long Bay Beach and Taylor Bay.
This time we took a beach cruise w/Silver Seas. Very fun! Stopped to snorkel and then visited an island to look for sand dollars. Amazing trip. Amazing place! I want to live there!!!!!

• Stayed April 2009, travelled with family