“Beautiful resort”

Ranked #17 of 45 Hotels in Providenciales
San Diego, California
“Beautiful resort”
Reviewed 24 September 2013

It was my first time visiting Turks and Caicos, and I did a lot of research on hotels before deciding on Alexandra Resort. Reviews seemed great, so why not? The value was great compared to all the other resorts I was checking out.

I stayed from Sept 11-15, right in the middle of "hurricane season". Luckily for me, I didn't get to experience any of that. The weather was beautiful the whole time with the exception of a 5 minute rain shower on one of my nights. The resort is right on the beach on Grace Bay. The view from the front desk was beautiful. The staff was very nice and very accommodating. I was very impressed by their hospitality. Johana at the front desk set up an appointment for a massage and snorkel tour with Caicos Dreams Tour for the very next day. I had a studio suite which was perfect for me since I was traveling alone. Not much of a view, as I was in a corner in the Lady Rose building but I didn't plan on staying in my room. The room was very clean, the bed so comfortable.
Since it was off-season, it wasn't very busy at the resort, which I ended up enjoying a lot. I was always able to grab a beach chair with an umbrella every day I was there at any time. The pool area was nice, and it has a swim up bar. But I preferred the beach to the pool. It was quiet, no loud noise or partying that would bother some people. Because I was traveling alone, safety was one of the priorities for me. I had no problems with that here, I felt pretty secure there.

Altogether, I had an amazing time at the Alexandra Resort. If I were to visit again, I would stay here. The only downside I experienced was that there was not very good wi-fi in the room. If I was lying in bed, the service would disconnect. I did read a manager comment that they are in the process of upgrading it, so I was expecting it when I got there. Great people, great staff, very nice accommodations.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
10 Thank Kimberly C
JBohmann, Public Relations Manager at Alexandra Resort, responded to this review, 30 September 2013
We are glad to read you had an amazing time during your stay at the Alexandra Resort. Thanks for your positive review and we hope you will stay with us again in the future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (511)
Jackson, NJ
Reviewed 12 September 2013

Alexandra Hotel is not a 5 star resort hotel but 5 star in service, cleanliness, convenience and comfort. I would consider it close to the middle of Grace Bay which my family thinks is the cleanest, clearest and most spectacular among all the Caribbean waters that we've visited. Something about Grace Bay and ALL the resorts that has that special feel to it that you have to discover and experience to understand. The resorts are like a community and you can go in and out of other resort's, their restaurants and pool areas without worry. We enjoyed all the menu offerings regardless of which restaurant we visited. They were all deliciously prepared and presented well. The hospitality of the people at Alexandra and all around were consistent. They were friendly, accommodating and we felt comfortable and relaxed from the beginning to the end of our stay. Mangoes resto at Alexandra is highly recommended. The food were fresh and flavorful. Expect a quiet relaxing time away from the typical party resort but don't get me wrong. The resort has the lively music and vibe but it is not overwhelming and imposing. It's a nice balanced Resort that makes for a vacation were all the ingredients are just right.

Room Tip: Get an ocean view when available. The sunsets are spectacular!
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank Pr0fessi0nalBeachBum
JBohmann, Public Relations Manager at Alexandra Resort, responded to this review, 16 September 2013
We are so pleased to read that you had a great vacation and that you enjoyed all the comforts of home. You paid our team the ultimate compliment and they very much appreciate receiving your kind feedback about the service they work hard to provide. We hope you will stay with us again in the future. The picture that you took of Grace Bay Beach in front of the Alexandra Resort is fabulous. Thanks for sharing it.
Mattoon, Illinois, United States
Reviewed 8 September 2013

Absolutely fantastic!!! From service to amenities! Totally a must to stay here!! Beach was super close and very clean and peaceful. Mango Reef restaurant isn't all that it is hyped to be but nice to have on site if you don't have a car.

Room Tip: The property is really small enough that any room would be great!! Easy to get around.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Kimberly A
JBohmann, Public Relations Manager at Alexandra Resort, responded to this review, 9 September 2013
We are pleased that you enjoyed your visit and we look forward to seeing you again soon. We are disappointed to read you did not have the same level of satisfaction with Mango Reef. While we do not operate the restaurant, we will share your comments with them. Thank you for the positive review.
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed 8 September 2013

Just got back from a week at the Alexandra in Providenciales. The resort is located between Beaches and The Somerset on Grace Bay. The beach is excellent (as it is everywhere on Grace Bay) but two things help the Alexandra stand out from most other resorts. First it is a good value for the money when compared to the cost of most other resorts. We stayed in a 1 bedroom which was more than adequate for 2 people for a week (studio would be a little tight). The second thing that Alexandra has going for it is the fact that Mango Reef restaurant is there. It is one of the better restaurants on the island and makes for a convenient dinner option on nights when you don't feel like going out. The restaurant is right on the beach so you can't beat the view.

My only complaint is that the wireless internet service is not very good. In some spots on the property it works well but we had awful coverage in our condo.

Room Tip: If you don't get an ocean front unit then try for an upper floor unit in bldg 4 as they offer a...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank HPK
We appreciate you taking the time to share a positive review about your recent visit. We work hard to offer the best value on Grace Bay beach, so thank you for acknowledging the value you received. We are working on upgrading our wireless internet service and apologize for any inconvenience the poor service in some areas of the property may have caused during your visit.
New York City, New York
Reviewed 6 September 2013

My husband and I visited the Alexandra Resort in May of 2012. We had a great time, the hotel was clean, fun but quiet. Granted we went in the low season. I got a massage and it was great.
The food at the restaurant was decent, but in Providenciales you can find any kind of food you want it might just be a taxi ride away.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank GeraldineCols
Thank you for your positive review and we are glad that you enjoyed your stay.
New Jersey
Reviewed 5 September 2013

A lot of research went into finding a great hotel for my boyfriend and I (in our late 20's and from NJ) to stay in when we were planning this trip Providenciales. We traveled June 30-July6 and decided to go with the attractive rate, reviews, and pictures that the Alexandra Resort provided. Booking a hotel/flight with Expedia, we didn't want to spend a ridiculous amount of money on our hotel since we knew we'd be off exploring the island and the many restaurants it has to offer.

Alexandra Resort was the perfect place we were looking for- a clean, nice hotel, that offered beachfront access, a restaurant/bar, and a swim up bar (which surprisingly, was not the easiest thing to find) and a great in-between price if you weren't willing to pay an arm and a leg for the Gansevoort, Regent Palm, or Grace Bay Club. I couldn't of been happier with our trip here, it was literally everything we were looking for. This is definitely a GREAT hotel for couples looking to stay in a beautiful hotel, with a nice-sized pool, beachfront access and more (bike rentals, room-service, etc). Being a teacher, I like to stay away from hotels with too many children when vacationing (like Beaches), but this was perfect- definitely a family friendly hotel, but lots of couples here! Upon arrival, we were greeted with a Rum Punch and were also given rewards for a summer special they were running which included: $100 credit towards Caicos Dream Tours (which leaves right from the hotel- make sure you do the Snorkel and Conch trip, SO much fun!), a 20% discount on spa services and $150 credit toward the hotel's restaurant and bar, Mango Reef which was awesome! A great guy named Darren took our bags and escorted us up to our room to make sure everything was up to our standards. We booked the Ocean View Deluxe Suite which featured a fully equipped open-concept kitchen, dining, and living room area in addition to a large bedroom with it's own bathroom suite and a separate half-bath off the kitchen. The suite also included a washer and dryer, and a large balcony with a table and chairs for eating along with two large chase lounge chairs. The balcony was accessible from both the living room and bedroom and overlooked the pool area and ocean- a beautiful site to wake up to every day!

The rooms were spotless and maid services came to check up on the room twice a day making sure we had enough towels and more. The pool itself is a large size and offers a swim-up bar which was surprisingly empty most of the time! To be honest, the pool itself was never crowded and chairs were always open at any time of the day. The beach is just SO amazing in Turks and Caicos, most people didn't spend too much time at the pool. As you walk toward the ocean, you pass through the hotel's only restaurant which also has a separate bar. We stopped here first for a bottle of Turks Head Island Lager, a yummy beer and at a great price. Mango Reef charged about $4.50 per bottle which was quite reasonable compared to many of the other bars we visited. The bartenders were super friendly and we stopped for drinks here just about every night before and sometimes after dinner! Now onto the beach- the water and sand here is simply amazing. Having visited Aruba, San Juan, Puerto Rico, Puerta Vallarta, and Grand Cayman Island, I would definitely say Grace Bay beach is the most beautiful beach we've seen yet! The water is the most amazing shade of blue, just the right temperature, and the sand is soft and white. The Alexandra resort offers lounge chairs and umbrellas and we never had difficulty finding a place to plant ourselves for the day, even when we came down around 11 or noon. There are waiters here and there if you need to order a drink or food, but we also brought down a few drinks with us in plastic cups.

The Alexandra Resort is a hotel or two (a quick walk) away from The Regent Palm where we had a fantastic dinner at Parallel 23 (get the risotto!). I thought the hotel itself was in a great location and cabs were easily accessible when going out to eat on the island. Another perk of staying at the Alexandra was borrowing the many bikes they have on-site and riding to the local IGA supermarket, which was only about a 10-15 minute ride where we stocked our kitchen with snacks and alcohol. This is also in the center of town where you can shop and have lunch! Make sure you bring a book bag if you're planning on running to the food store- it's worth it since the kitchen in our suite was so nice and stocked with all the cooking equipment one might need. All in all, the Alexandra Resort is not a swanky stylish resort you might be looking for in a place like the Gansevoort, but its a reasonable, beautiful, clean hotel with great rooms, a big pool and beachfront access to one of the most gorgeous beaches in the world. The staff was so helpful and accommodating in answering any questions we had and even giving local recommendations. We loved Turks and Caicos and would definitely go back for a little rest, relaxation, good food and good company. What more do you need, right?

Breakfast was great at the Mango Reef and although we didn't dine there for dinner, it was many of the locals' favorite recommendation to eat! Be sure to have drinks at sunset at the Infinity Bar at Grace Bay Club, dinner at Coyaba and Parallel 23, and lunch at Somewhere Cafe- an amazing view with great Mexican food! My only suggestion for making the Alexandra Resort even better might be having a small store/area to buy snacks/water/goods and possibly another place to eat/drink!

Room Tip: Go for a deluxe suite on 3 or 4th floor, its so worth it!
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
16 Thank tinabell8
We appreciate your thorough review and many kind comments which we will share with our team. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.
Lexington Park MD
Reviewed 3 September 2013

They say love is better the 2nd time around. We are inclined to agree. My wife and I stayed at the Alexandra during 8/24 - 8/31, 2013. It was our 2nd time in 3 years and I told my wife if we hit the lottery, we have to consider buying a place here. It is still our favorite place to visit when you want to do as little as possible except enjoy the best beach in the world, Grace Bay. Also, the resort staff continues to be the best, most friendly and helpful people we’ve come across at a resort. Al, our Concierge is still there and is extremely helpful and knowledgeable about the island.
We were welcomed into the check-in area, quickly received room keys and info, topped off with a very soothing rum punch. This time we had a studio room on the 1st floor of the Chelsea building. We would have appreciated a 2nd floor room with a higher view of the beach, but it was still a nice to open the window to see the beach and ocean. We stopped at Mango Reef for lunch and yes you pay a little more... I will not argue that, but the portions and quality were very good in our opinion. I’d advise stopping at the supermarket early in the week for something to eat during the week to offset the cost. We were soon on the beach and enjoying ourselves in the clear water of the ocean.
Again we were into the slow season which to us is a good time to be there. We weren’t there for shopping, but the excursions were plentiful. The one thing you absolutely have to do is take either the half day or all day snorkel and beach tours with Caicos Dream Tours. We did the half day this time and it was not as good as the all day from our first visit, but not because of the tour company. I’m sure they would prefer smooth water and not choppy for snorkeling. But conditions aren’t their fault so we did what we could. The water around Turks is still simply the most beautiful and clear turquoise water I have ever seen in my life.
One other must do on the island is the Thursday fish fry at Bight Park. It runs from 5:30 to 10pm. It offers food from local restaurants, music, and some souvenir stands. Don’t be on “Island time” for this outing. You want to get there at 5-5:15 to see them setting up and get yourself a good seat as picnic tables are limited.
We plan to go here again if we get the chance despite other islands we would like to visit. So if you are looking for a great place to chill out that seems to attract cool people on vacation, you can’t go wrong with our now home away from home, the Alexandra Resort on Grace Bay on the beautiful island of Providenciales!

Room Tip: Timeshares get the Chelsea building with beach & ocean views.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank JJnCJ
Thank you for once again staying at the Alexandra Resort and for posting such a positive review. We value your patronage. We forward to seeing you again on a future visit.