“Can't wait to go back!”

Ranked #18 of 45 Hotels in Providenciales
New York, NY
“Can't wait to go back!”
Reviewed 20 May 2009

The Alexandra is a value! Excellent service, clean, beautiful rooms, right on the beach, lovely pool, delicious restaurant... couldn't have asked for more. From the minute I arrived to the minute I left, I felt very welcome and taken care of. The gym facilities are modern and spacious. The office center is quick and easily accessible. Even the soaps in the bathroom were nice and always stocked. Thank you Alexandra, for a wonderful experience!

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank kebmo1076

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (518)
Concord, Mass.
Reviewed 7 May 2009

I stayed at the Alexandra during April vacation week. I can only say this was the best beach vacation I have ever had. The resort was beautiful, the turquoise and aqua water stunning, and the sand amazingly soft . I could not have wished for more. The grounds were well kept, the pool and pool area were large and very well maintained. The studio we were in (rented through VRBO #73525) had everything we needed. The bed was extremely comfortable, the furnishings modern, and the kitchenette perfect. The unit was very clean and had lots of extra toiletries in case one ran out. There was a beautiful pool view from the balcony and partial ocean view that was amazing.
We spent the best four hours of our vacation with Caicos Dream Tours. They are located right on the property, and the owner is a super nice and funny guy. The boat ride was very scenic, and the snorkeling (which I had never done) was so much fun. I was able to find conch which were later used in the salad we had for our lunch. We stopped at a small cay for lunch and had time to swim and walk on the exquisite beach. There was also unlimited rum punch provided. If you do nothing else, go on this!!

We went on a horseback ride on the beach with Provo Ponies. The owner and guides were wonderful, and took the time to match us up with the appropriate horse for our riding ability. The ride along Long Bay was beautiful, but I have to say I prefer Grace
Bay. It was well worth the money.

We rented a car through Grace Bay Rentals. The staff, and owner Todd were great. It really was not difficult learning to drive on the opposite sidof the road. We drove around the island to Chalk Bay, Sapodilla Bay, Blue Hills (had lunch at Da Conch Shack) and then further down on Grace Bay to Nikki Beach. That is where we took a sunset sail (again with unlimited rum punch or beer) aboard the Atabeyara. The boat is owned by a local and is not all that well known. You can find it through Sun Charters. It was a beautiful two hour sail, but a bit cloudy so we were not able to see the green line at sunset. Many of the people on the boat were locals and very friendly. I would highly recommend this for a sail- it was also very inexpensive.
Most of our time was spent on the beach and at the pool. We walked to various other hotels to have drinks, lunch and dinner. The Palms next door is beautiful, as is the Grace Bay Club.
I cannot wait to return to the Alexandra. The ambiance was perfect for us, and exactly what we were looking for. If you are laid back, love to relax and go at a snails pace and leave the stress behind, this is the island and resort for you.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled with friends
3 Thank Cuttyhunk
Orlando
Reviewed 29 April 2009

I was really skeptical looking at the website for the Alexandra, any place that has subtitles like "actual room may vary" normally would scare me away, but I really wanted a honeymoon someplace secluded, quiet, but with enough ameneties to make us feel like we weren't in the wilderness. We knew we wanted to do an island, and we had been to Grand Turk before, but when I checked online for different packages and places, the Alexandra popped out at me as the middle of the road not to expenisve, not to cheap option. I started looking for reviews and the majority of them were in favor of the Alexandra compared to some of the more inexpensive ones. Not only that, but when I saw that there were oceanview rooms that weren't going to cost me my first born I was sold even further.
Now getting onto the reveiw, again, when we first pulled up we were apprehensive as the main entrance is under construction, so pulling up to theis place wasn't blowing us away. Immediately though we were greeted and whisked away to our room. Having the door to your place face the island, we were worried that our room had been changed from an ocean view to a garden view - you know the old bait and switch. But as they opened the balcony doors and you stepped out to a dinning room size balcony, all our worries went away.

The beach is right there, if it takes you 5 minutes you're walking really slow, the sand, the umbrellas, the lack of people, this is the place that you make peace with the world. And the fact that there aren't any kids screaming to their siblings makes for quite the nap time under your own umbrella. Not that there's anythign wrong with kids, but if I didn't bring 'em, I dang sure don't want to share my beach with them :)

The hotel eatery and bar serve great drinks, and pretty good food, but once you've had it one day, find another place on the island to eat.

The first night we opted to eat at the hotel, they have a carribean night on Monday's that boast a buffet - very very tasty. We knew that we wanted to experience the island culture a little so we ended up renting a car from Avis- which picks you up at the hotel and takes you to their Grace Bay location (cheaper than renting from the airport - 19% tax there, 10% at Grace Bay). Our Dahatsu was cute, efficient and got us where we needed to be, the roundabouts are a bit challenging at first, but you get used to it quickly.

So we foun Caicos Coffee House around the corner from the Alexandra, you talk about a low key, relaxing, make you wish they had hammocks type of place, this is it. Marvin the proprieter is quite traveled and also a musician. As you listen to 70's gold R&B you're served the best Mango Daiquiri's we've had since St. Kits. The food is well priced, tasty and the Guava Duff is to die for - if you've never had it, think island strawberry shortcake - excellent.

Shopping at Graceway will cost you your left kidney, if not a mortgage payment, so traveling down Leeward highway might fetch you cheaper prices at the local grocery store compared to the 7$ Apple Juice and 21$ cold medicine at Graceway.

The last palce that we ate as was Da Conch Shack - hands down the best conch to date, the bartendar John Wayne is qutie the character and definitely earns the extra tip award for his humor and tips on what to get and when to come back. Matter of fact the place closes at 830 during the week except for Thur. so make sure you get there earlier. We showed up at about 825 and they were kind enough to still serve us, great service.

So there you have it, we're on our 4th day and we plan to go back to Da Conch Shack, stay away from Graceway and enjoy the beach for anohter 2 days :)

4 Thank prttony
Jupiter, Florida
Reviewed 27 April 2009

Just got back from a stay at the Alexandra and was very pleased. We had a one bedroom oceanfront suite and the room was very nice. Granite Countertops, oversized tile, stainless steel appliances, comfy bed and sofa, huge balcony with a beautiful view of the pool and the ocean. We booked this trip last minute and I was pleased with my selection. It was very quiet when we were there, not just at the Alexandra but the whole island in general. Nightlife is slim, basically all the bars and restaurants close at 10:00pm, but as I am typically an early riser and early to bed person, this didn't bother me. The beach in front of the Alexandra is stunning. Some of the softest sand I have ever walked in. Staff at the Alexandra was excellent as well. The food at the orchid is good... I'll agree with the other postings, nothing to rave about but certainly nothing to complain about either. There are also several restaurants close by that you can walk to by the beach. For a romantic setting on the beach with tiki torches burning around you and live music playing, I suggest Hemmingway's for dinner at the Sands (10 minute walk by beach). For a drink, stop by Bay Bistro two hotels down on the beach and see Junior the bartender. While you are there try the Princess Conch Crepe. Excellent. Overall we were very pleased with our stay. My husband was disappointed in the fishing on the island.. He liked the Bahamas better for fishing, but he still had a great time exploring the island, observing the natural beauty, and getting to know the people. I definately recommend the Alexandra to those looking to travel to Providenciales.

5 Thank marllie
clifton, va
Reviewed 22 April 2009

We just returned from a 9 day stay at the Alexandra. We had a great time and really liked this resort. We are a family of 5 and stayed in a 2 bedroom oceanfront suite on the 3rd floor. I believe the name of our building was the Lady Rose building. There are 2 oceanfront buildings but the other one was closed for renovations, if we were to go back I would probably try and book in the other building, our building was right next to the public beach access area. Most of the time this was not a problem but we arrived the Friday before Easter and there was a huge daylong party going on there with the locals, they had brought in a generator for music and it was just a big party all day and into the evening. That first weekend was pretty busy but after that things quieted down. We were amazed at how spacious our place was, 2 good sized bedrooms, full kitchen, 2 1/2 bathrooms, huge dining area (indoor and outdoor) and a nice sized family room with a pullout sleeper sofa. The master BR had sliding glass doors that opened to the oceanfront balcony, very comfortable furniture. My husband and I spent every evening out there. The family room also has sliding glass doors opening up to the balcony with a large table that seats 6, we ate breakfast out there every day, a few lunches and just a couple of dinners. The kitchen is very up to date with nice appliances, granite counter tops, modern sink, we can't say enough good things about the rooms, you would not be disappointed. We had internet access in our room which we were grateful for, had a few problems getting connected but they quickly resolved this for us. We found the staff to all be very friendly and helpful, they were very engaging with our kids as well. We spent more time than we would have liked to at the pool, my kids got a little sunburned the first day so we stayed off the beach for a couple of days. They had fun in the pool, it's very quiet though, as a parent there were times I felt they were disruptive to others because many times they were the only kids there, it would have been nice to have more kids around but they still had fun. The beach area is very nice, never a problem getting chairs and umbrellas and there is plenty of space. There is a big box by the pool with sand toys that have been left by others for the kids to play with. I was happy about this because we just had no room left to pack any sand toys so that worked out well. There is a fitness center, it's small but more than adequate, one treadmill, one elliptical and lots of weights. We did walk down to Coral Gardens to snorkel on the first day, the walk down was fine, coming back was tough for 2 of my boys (twins age 5) after walking to get there, snorkeling for an hour and then the walk back they were done. After that we drove. It's a very easy walk but not for small, tired kids. We never had a problem with parking anywhere on the island. We had planned on eating at Somewhere's but as mentioned in another review they do not take credit cards which is all we had brought.
We ate at the Orchid restaurant onsite at the Alexandra a few times, the food was good, nothing to rave about but not bad at all. We were happy to know they had a kids menu, they did not offer this to us the first time or two that we ate there and stupid us, we did not ask just assumed they did not have one. One day we ate there, Ada was our waitress and she offered us the kids menu. We did the Monday night Carribean buffet and enjoyed it, we fed our kids beforehand b/c did not think they would eat $25 worth of food. Again we found out that they will negotiate on the price for kids,
3 for $25 or 1/2 price for one, just ask if you have kids. We were surprised how understanding they were about this, and did not expect it. We rented a car from Grace Bay Car rentals based on advice from the forums, great experience, they were right there waiting for us when we got out of the airport, gave us directions, a map, and even advice on where to eat and things to do. We met Captain Bill from Outback Adventure, he was handing out flyers about the glow worm sightseeing tour on his boat, we did this and really enjoyed it, very nice evening. We thought it was reasonably priced, $59/adults and I believe it was $29/kids for about 3 hours, there were snacks, sodas, and all the beer and rum punch you can drink. It was awesome watching the sunset out on the water and then seeing the glow worms, the kids loved it. We did several excursions, one of our favorites was the 2 hour jet ski tour up to Parrot Cay. The ride up is just beautiful, the water was so clear we saw turtles and sting rays along the way.
We also went back to see Captain Bill on Weds for his snorkel/pirate cave tour, very much enjoyed the day. On Friday we did the snorkel tour with Caicos Dream Tours, this is nice because you leave right from the beach in front of the Alexandra, no need to drive anywhere or take a shuttle. We did the 1/2 day trip, we snorkeled, dove for conch and then went to see the iguanas, even got to see a lemon shark and more rays thanks to the conch cleaning the guides were doing. We ate most dinners out, we went to The Tiki Hut, Sharkbite (kids favorite), Hemmingway's- we walked there on the beach, Somewhere's, Da Conch Shack, Iguana and Las Brisas. Our favorite was Las Brisas over in Chalk Sound the views are just phenomenal and we liked that our kids could swim in the pool while we finished our meals and drinks. It's in Neptune Villas, definitely check it out! Our best meal was at The Iguana, I think this is in the Salt Mills area? We were down there and one of the bartenders from the Alexandra named Richard, also works at the Iguana, he saw us and pulled us off the street to eat there. We were thankful as that turned out to be one of our best meals of the week. I know there are more high end restaurants we would have loved to try them but stayed away since our kids were with us. Overall it was a great experience and we would go back. During our research I was so torn between the Alexandra and The Sands. We opted for The Alexandra because of the special they were running, we ended up getting a 2 BR Oceanfront for $1,000 less than a 2 BR Gardenview at The Sands. I did go down to The Sands and walked around to see the differences. The Alexandra is definitely more quiet and the restaurant is not nearly as busy as Hemminways. This is minor but I did not like the screened in balconies at The Sands, we spent a lot of time out on our balcony and having it open was nice, no problem with bugs. By the end of our stay we were also on a first name basis with a lot of the staff due to the smaller size. Enjoy if you go, we did!

• Stayed April 2009, travelled with family
11 Thank r3boys
Herndon, VA
Reviewed 20 April 2009

We just returned from 8 nights at the Alexandra. I can’t say enough good things about the staff there - from the front desk to housekeeping. We stayed in a studio unit in the Prima Donna building. It was small but met our needs. Had a comfortable queen size bed, flat screen TV, small fridge, microwave oven, blender, and toaster. I took pictures of the unit which I will post on Shutterfly in a couple of days.
We took the Monday shuttle (actually a taxi arranged for by the Alex) to the IGA to stock up on some basics for the week (soda, water, cereal, milk, bread, butter, eggs, ham and cheese, etc.).
The weather was perfect from Saturday to Friday afternoon (when the winds picked up). The water temperature was medium warm – meaning it took 15 to 30 seconds to “get used” to the water. We never had a problem getting beach chairs or umbrella regardless of the time we hit the beach each day. We settled into a daily routine which basically included swimming and snorkeling. We didn’t take any excursions but walked about 20 minutes down the beach (past Beaches) to Coral Gardens to snorkel from the beach. Got lot’s of exercise between swimming, walking and snorkeling. One day we saw a dolphin (JoJo?) about 150 yards from the beach.
The Alexandra has a computer with internet access for guest use. We always were able to use the computer when needed.
Had lunch a couple of times at Somewhere on the Beach at Coral Gardens. One order of the chicken fajitas was enough for both of us. They don’t take credit cards there so bring cash or traveler’s checks. Best lunch of the week was the fish Tacos at Hemmingways. We attended the Alexandra’s Caribbean night dinner (I think it was Monday night). The jerk chicken and the grilled fish were excellent (the ribs not so excellent but they looked good). I took some pictures of the food and will post them on Shutterfly in the next few days.
There was some construction going on next door but the only sounds were an occasional beeping of a vehicle in reverse.
Once after dinner we walked the beach past Club Med to the Comfort Suites beach “cut thru”. Found the new IGA to pick up a few things. Grabbed a taxi to ride back to the Alex. The taxi first went to Nikki Beach to drop off some people who also shopped at the IGA and also pick up a couple of people who were going to the IGA. SO about 20 minutes after we entered the Taxi we were where we began after a very nice tour of that part of the Island. We wouldn’t have gotten to see Nikki Beach otherwise. Taxi cost was $10 plus tip.
Met several formulates on this trip – Snubagirl, camke and r3boys. Nice to be able to put a face to their posts.
Had the USAirways 3:30 p.m. flight out on Sunday. Got to the airport at 1 and the line was out the door. It went fairly quickly however and we were at the counter in about 35 minutes. We like to be early and not stressed out.
We would return to the Alex in a heartbeat – and plan to do so again next year.

2 Thank iguanaeddie
Hershey, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 18 April 2009

We stayed in a one bedroom at the Alex over Easter weekend and had a wonderful experience. Our room, in the Marilyn building, was new, clean , beautifully decorated, and had everything we needed. My husband was impressed with the flat screen TVs - but I hardly noticed them... To me, the best part was the balconcy. We didn't stay in an ocean front building - but still had a perfect view of the water and the beautiful sunsets.

The beach in front of the resort is perfect and we spent most of our time just lounging and relaxing. The sand was so soft and the water was crystal clear. My husband took snorkel gear and we spent one day at Coral Gardens where he saw sea turtles and a lot of colorful fish. He also snorkeled in front of the Alexandra and saw barracudas, a sting ray, and found a live conch on the ocean floor.

The restaurants at the resort were just okay. On the first day, we had lunch at the Sunset Deck . I'm a vegetarian and tried to order a veggie burger - but they were out, so I had to settle for french fries. Then, one afternoon, we tried the buy one, get one drinks at happy hour at the Orchid. We ordered a margarita and a beer - but got two margaritas.

Other than that, we had wonderful dining experiences at Bay Bistro (twice for breakfast), Hemingways, Baci, Coco Bistro, and Parallel 23 (for dinner), The Infinity Bar at GBC (for drinks) and Da Conch Shack (twice for lunch).

Overall, we had a fabulous trip. If we're ever lucky enough to return to Provo, we'd definitely consider staying at the Alexandra again.

1 Thank megwild