Message from TripAdvisor:
This place is temporarily closed.

“STAY AWAY!”
Review of Alexandra Resort

Alexandra Resort
Ranked #22 of 44 Hotels in Providenciales
Reviewed 18 November 2009

I stayed at the the Alexandra twice, not sure why the 2nd time, but I guess it was due to the price.

I had the same experience both times. Upon arrival at reception, I seemed to bother to the staff. There was no line, but they were busy doing "something". I waited for a bell hop for 15 minutes. The second time I went I waited for five minutes, then walked to the room myself.

The room both times were perfect. Wonderful, fantastic terrace, top of the line appliances.

I went to eat at the Orchid at 10:30 am. "Sorry, we are not serving food". ? Breakfast just ended and lunch starts a little bit later.

Nice... I walked over to the Palms and ate.

They are located on a good part of Grace Bay Beach, i.e. the beach is wide, unlike "Beaches" where it is narrow. I sat on the deck closest to the water and every time I wanted a drink, I had to walk to get it, no service at all. They do have a bar up there on the deck but it is unattended. One evening they did have a bartender but he would not serve me because I was not part of the "government" employees. Go figure

The icing on the cake was when I was leaving. I called reception and asked them to get me a cab to the airport. I walked to reception, and they told me I needed a towel "card" or I will be charged $25.00. I did know what they were referring to and told them its in the room. Not good enough.

I walked back to the room, got the silly card and walked back to reception. Would you believe the cab still hadn't arrived?

Eventually I gave up, walked to the road to go to the Palms to get a cab and one drove by and I waved him down. He took me to the airport and when I told him what happened, i.e. me waiting for the cab, he said the Alexandra is owned by the locals and when you call for a cab they call their friends as opposed to one that might be available.

Shame on them...

Worst part.. I missed my plane.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled solo
12  Thank NewYorkBeachTraveler
ARS101, Resort Manager at Alexandra Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 20 November 2009

Thank you for choosing The Alexandra Resort & Spa and for taking the time to write your view. We find it necessary, though to clarify your statements and to give our readers an appreciation of the facts.

Firstly, the Management of The Alexandra Resort & Spa regrets that your experience during your stay in 2008 was compromised. We only wish that you had contacted us directly rather than one later.

It is our mission that each guest leaves our resort satisfied and has a desire to return. We have made it our priority to incessantly improve our product and service through training and continuous upgrades to our amenities, but occasionally; we fall short of the high standards we have set for ourselves.

Secondly, the statement regarding our 2008 towel distribution system is erroneous. Prior to the 2007 winter season the resort adapted an open beach towel distribution program, where guests’ beach towels were available daily at the beach and pool locations.

Thirdly, the resort’s front office team arranges various guests’ requests including car rentals, taxi transfers, dinner reservation and island excursions. Through our pre-arrival concierge service, many requests are arranged and confirmed prior to our guests’ arrival.

Among the resort’s facilities - gym, spa, tennis courts, watersports and business center - are two restaurants, where breakfast, lunch and dinner are served by friendly and accommodating team members.

We apologize for your inconvenience during your stay at our Resort and invite you to stay with again and experience quality, variety and value in a friendly and relaxed atmosphere.

There are newer reviews for Alexandra Resort

Reviewed 11 November 2009

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Alexandra Resort November 1-6th, in an oceanfront one bedroom suite. Our suite was very large with king bed and 1.5 bathrooms; washer and dryer and expansive oceanfront balcony. The bedroom opens to the balcony so we could literally hear the waves from the balcony (and even from our bedroom!).

We were very impressed with housekeeping especially our turndown attendant who even left us flowers nighty (it makes our trip exceptionally romantic). Overall the entire staff was friendly and very attentive - great service!

The Spa Sanay is located on site (right next door to the gym) and we had a couples massage at the beach (we also got 20% discount as guests of Alexandra)! We did not bring our laptops as we wanted to experience the total isolation from the busy world but thankfully, the resort has a business center that you can use to check your email or say hi to friends and familes. They also had a tennis court on site with rackets & balls for use but we did not take advantage of this as we prefer to lounge at either the pool or the beach. The free form pool was large enough for lapping and gardens were beautiful and well kept. The Orchid was getting a revamp while we're there but we had great grilled entrees at the Sunset Deck which was beautifully situated on the beach.

The Alexandra Resort is situated on the best part of the Grace Bay Beach - why I said so? Because the water is shallow even if you go as far as 5 meters away from the shore which seemed like a very large saline pool (I did my lapping there as well). I have also checked out other beach sites but Alexandra is far better...other beach sites are not as level as the one in Alexandra. And, oh, the beach staff were always there to assist us with beach umbrellas and lounge chairs.

All in all, the Alexandra is indeed an "understated" luxury with a great price (I got the Super Fall Special). We're now at home and already we're planning on our next trip. Our family and friends was so envious as we are browsing the pictures we've taken from our trip.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled as a couple
8  Thank mYstiCal_r0se
Reviewed 9 November 2009

We just returned from the Alexandra where the weather was warm along with the staff at the resort. Our room was beautiful and the resauant looked like it was getting a good makeover including a new restaurant manager. They where so accomodating even though that main restauant was closed. We ate out on the outer deck and the service and food was still wonderful. Can't wait to go back and see how pretty the new restaurant is going to be.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ALOEMANMichigan
Reviewed 15 October 2009

My wife and I are still here in our first of two weeks. The room is brand new, with granite countertops and a full kitchen. Furniture is as good as anywhere in the world (e.g. large flat screen TV in living room and also in bedroom!). There is a double balcony with beautiful furniture from the Philippines and the balcony overlooks the pool. Every single request we have made to the front desk for assistance has led to instant service. The beach could not be better; Sand like white talcum powder, turquoise blue water. Even beginner swimmers would feel safe here. It has been voted best beach in the world several times by independent agencies. Next door is "Beaches", which is "all you can eat and drink included" and there are numerous children. Looks like a good place for kids. The Alexandra resort tends to be honeymoon couples, families and older couples. It is very peaceful and service is first class. I would recommend booking this without hesitation. I have no perosnal interest or invensment in this resort. My wife and I are just delighted with it and we are used to staying in many of the best places anywehere.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled on business
3  Thank spud2
Reviewed 13 October 2009

The Alexandra Resort is a very nice, quiet and well appointed property. Plenty of parking, secure property with decent amenities. The spa was a bit small, but very relaxing and tranquil and reasonably priced. Verona always made me feel special for each treatment. Annette at the reception desk went well beyond the call of duty for guests. The bar and wait staff at the Orchid restaurant were exceptionally knowledgeable about island activities and were very personable and polite. We had a "garden view" suite which was very close to beach, grill and pool. Equipped with a small kitchenette (no stove, but a microwave) -- it was sufficient for preparing quick breakfast meals. Housekeeping staff was very efficient and provided service 2x daily. The location was great and close to other restaurants and resorts. Definately rent a car and drive around during the day -- the signs are not the best, especially at night. It was a great stay and very nice accomodations for the price. We definitely will be returning to the Alexandra in the very near future. Also, don't sleep a great native restaurant within walking distance -- Middle Caicos Cafe -- best meal on the island!! Ask Lisa to prepare the "blue drink".!!!!

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank bellydancer_9
Reviewed 9 October 2009

My fiance and I have been to Providenciales three times now...most recently being this summer for two weeks when we stayed at the ALEXANDRA RESORT in an OCEANVIEW STUDIO on the ground floor. WE must say, this resort exceeds all other resorts we have stayed at on the island. Not because it was the most expensive, or chi chi...primarily because it is incredibly gorgeous property at incredible value. The staff were exceptional at ALL TIMES.......our suite and the entire resort was spotless. The location is in the most perfect portion of GRACE BAY BEACH, the sand is white and soft, the water is gorgeous. Our suite was perfect for a couple as it had one king bed, fully appointed kitchenette, and lots of space for two people...we had sliding doors to a private walk out deck which faced the pool and partial ocean view. The security in this buidling is wonderful. Although Provo is noted for low crime, it is added comfort to know you are safe in your resort. WE HIGHLY RECOMMEND THIS RESORT, over many other higher end resorts on the island.....you will recieve the best of attention and feel you had an incredible experience for the amount invested.
high speed wireless internet was included, the sunsets are mindblowing from the ALEXANDRA beachfront.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank bliss08Toronto
Reviewed 11 September 2009

My boyfriend and I just returned from Provo and chose the Alex Resort for several reasons. We were really happy with our choice. We stayed in a luxury beachfront studio (and will also note that it was off-season).

Everyone was so nice at the resort, and the rooms were clean and modern. I would describe them as simple luxury - nothing over the top, but what is there is very nice and new (at least in our room). We found the beds comfortable and had a king bed (luxury studio). The shower had a small window overlooking the ocean that I just loved for some reason. The beach is beautiful and there were plenty of chairs and umbrellas. Housekeeping came in twice a day and our floors always seemed to be cleaned up after we tracked in a ton of sand. They even folded up some clothes we left thrown on the chair. The room had free wi-fi that worked well. We had one issue one day and called to the front desk and the front desk called back promptly to follow-up and to let us know the IT guy was resetting the router, which seemed to have solved the problem. The studio doesn't have a full kitchen, but still a very nice kitchenette area, including blender, small fridge, microwave, coffee maker, silverware, glasses, plates, etc.

Although the Orchid restaurant doesn't get as much attention as other restaurants around, we really enjoyed the few meals we had there (loved the jerk chicken sandwich and the salads were very fresh) and found the cost very reasonable. We also enjoyed and took advantage of the 2-for-1 happy hour specials.

The pool area is also nice with nice lounge chairs (not the strappy plastic ones) and a swim-up bar. The pool did have a few patches that need to be repainted, but overall it was very nice and clean. The back half I would say is even large enough to almost swim laps. Pool/beach towels were plentiful and at least when we were there, there was no towel "guard" at all - you just took what you wanted and when - which was a nice change from some other resorts I have been too.
The location is great and you can walk to several restaurants as well as to snorkeling in front of Coral Gardens. We did still rent a car because we like the freedom to go wherever whenever without dealing with taxis, etc. There was ample (free) parking.

Our only 2 minor issues were that we couldn't find any water sport stuff (it was off-season, so not sure if there usually is and it was just the season) and our luxury beachfront studio view wasn't a full 180 degree view of the ocean (instead the luxury beachfront studios are the on the corners, so the way the building is built, turns out one side of your peripheral view is a wall, but you do indeed have a straight-on, unobstructed view of the ocean). If you upgrade to a 1-bedroom you supposedly would have a full view in both directions. Also. I wish they would include an ipod dock/player in the rooms, but minute point and just as easy to bring our own.

Overall, we really enjoyed the resort as a whole, from the food to the rooms, and would definitely recommend it.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple