“Friendly, quiet and relaxing environment”
Review of Alexandra Resort

Alexandra Resort
Ranked #18 of 45 Hotels in Providenciales
Cincinnati, Ohio
“Friendly, quiet and relaxing environment”
Reviewed 31 January 2010

Our weeklong stay was wonderful. The staff were friendly, beautiful rooms and views of the ocean. The wonderful beaches and blue waters of TCI should not be missed!

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (518)
Boise, Idaho
Reviewed 11 January 2010

We (mother and adult daughter) spent a week at the Alexandra in October. We had a one-bedroom suite in the Maryland building with one full and one half bath, a full, well-equipped kitchen, a very pretty living room with a comfortable sofa bed and a wonderful balcony with both pool and ocean views. Since restaurants are expensive, it was a nice bonus to have such a great kitchen to prepare light meals such as breakfast or snacks. We spent a lot of time on the balcony - from breakfast in the morning to after-dinner drinks! It was actually like having an extra room with the suite.The suite was immaculate. The staff came in every day to clean and make sure we had fresh towels and any other supplies we needed. On one occasion we had trouble with the AC and made a call to the front desk. By the time we returned from a walk on the beach, maintenance had been in and had the unit working and the suite already cooled. We had several meals at the Orchid Restaurant on site and the food was delicious and the staff very pleasant. They were very willing to answer our questions about the menu and saw to it that our drinks were continually refilled and our food served piping hot. We had a beautiful view of the beach from any table and the whole experience was totally relaxed and enjoyable. The beach was wonderful with very comfortable loungers and there was always a fresh supply of beach towels on the way down to the beach. In answer to our inquiry, the front desk staff gave us the number and a good recommendation for Calvin, the taxi driver who became our good friend over the course of the week. He was always available and would make arrangements to come back to pick us up at our convenience after any outing. He had great suggestions as to the best places to eat and to sight see. And contrary to our expectations his fees were very reasonable. The entire staff at the Alexandra, and especially Annette from the management team, were wonderful and made us feel very welcome. We loved our week at the Alexandra and only wish we could return every year!

• Stayed October 2009
4 Thank IdahoGalBoise_Idaho
New York City, New York
Reviewed 23 December 2009

Overall a nice place for the location and good value for the dollar.... too bad that when we first checked in, we had to deal with this rude front desk receptionist name Brokemia! No welcoming smile whatsoever, and when I asked her a question, it seems that I was bothering her.... I had booked an ocean view room, but when I got to my room, it was a second floor partial ocean view, called front desk and Brokemia was very unaccommodating.... telling us that there are no other rooms available, meanwhile the resort was 85% empty! A couple of days later, I needed to rent a car, so I asked Brokemia to help me book a car, she had this why are you bothering me attitude! So I tried to avoid any more contact with her so it wouldn't ruin my vacation! Other staffs on the resort were great and pleasant to deal with.... the whole experience would have been so much better if Brokemia knows what customer service means!

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
5 Thank kraken316
washington
Reviewed 7 December 2009

We stayed at Alexandra for a week in November. When we got into our room, the so called ocean-view room was really a partial ocean view room. You are looking down at the pool and only over the palm tree tops you see the ocean behind two buildings. It is definitely not a ocean front room. The front desk people were "nice" but very artificial. You can see through it within 2 seconds. During the entire stay, we only asked for some hydrogenperoxide and a sharpie. But each time it felt like we were bothering them. The front desk also gave wrong information about phone usage. We were told the room phone to a land line was free but room phone to a cell phone was charged. At the check out, we were charged for both. When we said we were told the room phone to a land line was free, she asked "who?" What kind of question is that? Is it my responsiblity to know the names of all your staff although the person told us the wrong information was standing right next to her. We didn't want to put her on the spot and get into a really awkward situation, so we let it go. Then the check-out lady proceeded to tell us there was a tax rate incresae on November 1st, and we needed to pay extra amount on the stay even though we paid for the room months ago before the sales rate increase. Is that even legal? It's like asking me to pay extra for all my purchases made in 2009 if the sales tax increase in 2010.

So we checked out after paying for phone charges and sales tax increase, we still got 4 hours before we needed to go to the airport (they refused a late check-out because there was othe guests arriving the same day). The entire hotel was dead during our stay, and they couldn't check in the new arrivals in a different room (the 200 other rooms that were empty?) A hour after we checked out, I realized we forgot a load of laundry in the dryer. By then they already clean the room and took them 10 minutes to find the bad of clothes. I was happy that we got our clothes back at the time but only to find all of my underwear were gone when we got home. We don't know if my all my underwear got thrown out or stolen. Everything else was in the bag except my underwears. If stolen, it is very creepy.

Overall, it wasn't a great experience in staying with Alexandra. The hotel was clean and got a great location, but the staff was very questionable.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple
8 Thank benjaminWashington
Greenwich, Connecticut
Reviewed 30 November 2009

We just returned from a stay at the Alexandra over Thanksgiving. It was great. The rooms were clean and beautiful. One of the reasons I chose this resort over some such as the Sands or Ocean Club was because the property seemed newer. I am very nervous about staying in older properties on the beach since they can be smelly. I believe I chose right based on my walks down the beach and viewing the other properties. For these mid-scale accommodations this place was perfect. The location is superb. The rooms are new and the service was outstanding. The grounds were also impeccable. My only two complaints---fitness center is terrible. It is too small. There are decent weights but the cardio equipment consists of 1 bike, 1 elliptical and 1 treadmill which by the way was broken. They needed at least twice the cardio equipment. Second con--there is no wireless. My husband needed to work on Friday and he could not pick up wireless anywhere consistently except when he was leaning into one bush on the property. The jack in our room also did not work. He eventually had to sit in the fitness center on the floor by the treadmill (luckily it was broken) and plug into the one jack that was working. He had to do this for about 3 hours. The staff was very helpful and tried to fix the problem but to no success.

So overall this is a great choice but if you care about fitness center and wireless then look elsewhere.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple
6 Thank tulsau
New York
Reviewed 22 November 2009

I have a Timeshare at the Alexandra Resort & Spa and stayed there with my two children ages 21 and 24 from November 14 thru November 21. We had an absolutely fabulous time and didn't want to go home. The staff was amazing from the reception to the restaurant. Especially the Food and Beverage Manager Alex, the Sales Manager Kimberly ( thank you) the Developer Mr. Washington, to Sonia and Ada, etc. They made us feel like we were home. We had so many laughs with them. I can't thank the staff enough.

Stayed November 2009, travelled with family
New York
Reviewed 18 November 2009

I stayed at the the Alexandra twice, not sure why the 2nd time, but I guess it was due to the price.

I had the same experience both times. Upon arrival at reception, I seemed to bother to the staff. There was no line, but they were busy doing "something". I waited for a bell hop for 15 minutes. The second time I went I waited for five minutes, then walked to the room myself.

The room both times were perfect. Wonderful, fantastic terrace, top of the line appliances.

I went to eat at the Orchid at 10:30 am. "Sorry, we are not serving food". ? Breakfast just ended and lunch starts a little bit later.

Nice... I walked over to the Palms and ate.

They are located on a good part of Grace Bay Beach, i.e. the beach is wide, unlike "Beaches" where it is narrow. I sat on the deck closest to the water and every time I wanted a drink, I had to walk to get it, no service at all. They do have a bar up there on the deck but it is unattended. One evening they did have a bartender but he would not serve me because I was not part of the "government" employees. Go figure

The icing on the cake was when I was leaving. I called reception and asked them to get me a cab to the airport. I walked to reception, and they told me I needed a towel "card" or I will be charged $25.00. I did know what they were referring to and told them its in the room. Not good enough.

I walked back to the room, got the silly card and walked back to reception. Would you believe the cab still hadn't arrived?

Eventually I gave up, walked to the road to go to the Palms to get a cab and one drove by and I waved him down. He took me to the airport and when I told him what happened, i.e. me waiting for the cab, he said the Alexandra is owned by the locals and when you call for a cab they call their friends as opposed to one that might be available.

Shame on them...

Worst part.. I missed my plane.

• Stayed August 2008, travelled solo
12 Thank NewYorkBeachTraveler
ARS101, Resort Manager at Alexandra Resort, responded to this review, 20 November 2009
Thank you for choosing The Alexandra Resort & Spa and for taking the time to write your view. We find it necessary, though to clarify your statements and to give our readers an appreciation of the facts.

Firstly, the Management of The Alexandra Resort & Spa regrets that your experience during your stay in 2008 was compromised. We only wish that you had contacted us directly rather than one later.

It is our mission that each guest leaves our resort satisfied and has a desire to return. We have made it our priority to incessantly improve our product and service through training and continuous upgrades to our amenities, but occasionally; we fall short of the high standards we have set for ourselves.

Secondly, the statement regarding our 2008 towel distribution system is erroneous. Prior to the 2007 winter season the resort adapted an open beach towel distribution program, where guests’ beach towels were available daily at the beach and pool locations.

Thirdly, the resort’s front office team arranges various guests’ requests including car rentals, taxi transfers, dinner reservation and island excursions. Through our pre-arrival concierge service, many requests are arranged and confirmed prior to our guests’ arrival.

Among the resort’s facilities - gym, spa, tennis courts, watersports and business center - are two restaurants, where breakfast, lunch and dinner are served by friendly and accommodating team members.

We apologize for your inconvenience during your stay at our Resort and invite you to stay with again and experience quality, variety and value in a friendly and relaxed atmosphere.