“Great Family Get Away” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #13 of 45 Hotels in Providenciales
Princeton, NJ
“Great Family Get Away”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 November 2011

My wife and I with our two teenage boys spent the week at Beaches Resort, Turks and Cacaos. New Jersey schools were closed for most of this week; so many families were from the North East. The resort was 90% occupied this week, but we rarely had to wait for meals or drinks and it never seemed crowded. There was always pently of towels available at the pools and beach. This is our 3rd visit and we had a wonderful time.

We stayed in the Italian village’s Family Suite with Separate Kids room. This suite has two rooms and a bathroom. The front room has bunk beds and the second room has a king bed. We did not spend a lot of time in the room, so this was big enough for us.

Sept thru November is the storm season so we did not expect flat calm seas. We had sunny warm days, but high winds with strong current (even by North East Atlantic standards) and 1 -3 foot waves. The beach water sports were closed most mornings but would open after lunch for sailing and snorkeling.

The Italian village pool is beautiful and mostly filled with kids ranging from 1 to 8. Almost all the chairs were taken (had stuff on chair) by 8:30AM. We headed for the beach or Arizona’s pool which had older kids and plenty of open chairs.

We had very good meals and even my picky son found food he liked at every resturant. Kimonos is fun but need reservations and it books quickly towards the end of the week, so make your arrangements on the first day. We hit the Sushi bar before dinner a couple of nights and had a great time.

I felt very comfortable letting the boys wonder the facility on their own and look for new friends. The boundaries of the resort are clearly marked and security keeps a watch eye that only guests were on property.

There are third party water sports available on the beach. The local “salesmen” would ask if we were interested in power sailing or a boat ride. They were very friendly, polite and not pushy at all. The resort offers the Kitty Kat cameraman boat ride. This was nice, but nothing special.

You can purchase WiFI for $42 per week. The service was slow and I had to sit on the porch to get a connection. I used it to check work emails.

Note for divers, you need to take an orientation class (about 20 minutes) before diving. If you can, get to the dive shop on the first day and take the class (starts at 3PM). This will allow you to dive the next day.

1 Thank j2bfisher

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,771)
  • Indonesian first
new jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 November 2011

My husband surprised me for my 40th birthday to a trip to Beaches, TCI. We stayed from Nov 2-6 as a couple, we don't have children. (We had stayed at the Somerset on Grace Bay last year but he wanted an all inclusive this time around and they don't have a Sandals so he chose Beaches). I can't say enough about this resort but keep in mind we were there during "low" times- the resort was only at 50% capacity. IF you are not keen on being around children, both young and older, this is not the place for you. The resort caters to families and it is great for them. IT got us both to reminisce about being kids again. We saw the Sesame Characters walking around and taking pictures. The water park is fun for young and old. I did the slides several times and even enjoyed the lazy river! The three villages, Italian, French and Carribean offer you different types of experiences. We stayed on the quieter side, the Carribean. The pool is smaller than the other two but it is just as great. If we wanted to mingle with others and hear loud music we just walked over to the Italian Village. The french side is great for that too. Overall, the entire property is fantastic. They keep is very clean and beautifully landscaped. The restaurants are pretty good. Our favorites were the Sushi Bar, Le Petit Chateau, Marios for breakfast and the outdoor jerk chicken station and smoothie station for lunch! The beach is amazing although it was a bit rougher in Nov than in July. The water was not as calm and clear yet it is stil my favorite beach in the carribean. There were plenty of chairs on the beach and straw umbrellas to lie under. Take a walk along Grace Bay it is amazing! One very disappointing thing was that there were no snorkeling trips for the four days! We signed up and every time we went they said it was cancelled! I guess the seas were not conducive to snorkeling even though it was bright and sunny out. Instead, I went parasailing and that was awesome. Great views of the hotels along Grace Bay. Overall, the room, food, pools and beach were up to par! We did not have any negative experiences at all. Again, I recall in July it looked like a zoo when we walked by the resort and there were thousands of kids screaming and playing on the beach. It you don't mind that, go during high seasons. IF you want a low key, great experience, go when it's not busy. You will have a great time with or without kids! I would totally go back - I love Grace Bay!

Room Tip: Stay on the Italian side or French side for more updated rooms. Carribean side is old!
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank gumb01
MN
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 November 2011

We spent Thanksgiving week at Beaches Turks and Caicos and it was an ideal family vacation! Thanks to the help and advise of Ruth DeMuth from TripGuy Travel our vacation was easy to plan and we were able to incorporate many fun things into our week! She was always available to answer any question, from do we need butler service to do I have to pack a hairdryer and her responses were helpful and very quick!
We had the Presidential two bedroom suite and it worked well for us.  The beds were plenty comfortable, and the bath was lovely, and it was really great to have three bathrooms!  We like to play board games as a family so having the table and the room to do so was great.  It also allowed early risers and late nighters to not worry so much about those sleeping.  Of course, we weren't using the living room pull-out couch as a bed.  The furniture looked dated in the sitting area only, which didn't bother us at all, the chairs were still comfortable but the couch really wasn't comfortable to even sit in, I can't imagine having to sleep on it.  I loved the storage in the room, so many closets, dressers.  We were told that we could only access wi-fi with up to three devices for our room with the one charge.  We had to "sign up" with each computer/phone, but then they automatically credited back the two extra charges.
We also loved our location.  We asked our butlers to set us up on the beach the first day and it was about a minutes' walk away from our room.  It was a lovely area and so convenient that we ended up asking for the same spot for the rest of the week!  It was directly in front of Arizona's for quick smoothie runs (delicious!) and so close to our room that we could easily go back for restroom breaks, etc.   The sand on the beach is perfect for sand castles, make sure families of all ages bring toys to build with, we saw amazing castles being built!  We didn't really use the pools other than the convenient Arizona pool by our room.  It was so nice and close, and the bartender (Benjamin) was fantastic, very fun and friendly.  The other pools looked great, too!  But we were mostly seduced by the beach.  My daughter did really enjoy the surf simulator in Pirate's Cove.  The towels the resort provides for the beach and pools are big and so soft, very nice. The weather was a bit windy while we were there, but did not interfere at all with our enjoyment of the beach.  The weather was warm and lovely, and the water temp was great, too, enough to cool us off but not cold. The day we did the kitty kat was rainy and windy, we didn't mind the rain since we were getting wet but I do think the churning water reduced the amount of sea life we saw.  It cleared up in time for our visit to Iguana cay!  We enjoyed this tour very much, as well as the sunset tour.
The kids did not participate in many of the planned activities for teens, either because not enough kids attended to have it happen or because sometimes it was a bit hard to figure out where they were supposed to meet up. They did meet kids easily at the beach and pools. We did see the “tween” group out and about more and they seemed to be having a great time.
The tennis courts were nice.  The pro was friendly.  They are not clay courts.  There is a message board to sign up to find a partner to play.  The  workout room was oriented more to cardio than weights, mostly treadmills.  It seemed fairly popular, and you could get a good workout in.    They had a nice set up with towels and waters there.
It was so worth having the butler service, especially during such a busy week!  I had Nadia and Antonio.  Having your spot saved with towels (and wonderful towel animals!) everyday was so nice, and for a fair-skinned person like me it was essential to have the shade at the beach so I could stay long enough to enjoy it!  It was great to have a cooler of water, beer and soda as well, and they would bring us a snack of cheese and crackers or fruit or shrimp, too!  Not having to wait for dinner at restaurants was very nice as well.  And one day Antonio drew a beautiful, flower-strewn bubble bath for us -- so lovely!
As for restaurants, we thought the food was really good, better than on cruises!  We loved Kimono the best, we had a fun chef named "samurai" who had us laughing and singing as we ate delicious food!  We loved the private dinner on the beach we had for our anniversary, unbelievably romantic!  We ate well everywhere.  Our only slip was the night we went out for sushi, we ordered a variety of items, and we received one plate to be divided among the four of us, it was delicious but in no way could be considered enough for a meal yet our waiter made a concerted effort to never return to our table for us to order more.  Everywhere else our service and our food were fantastic!  We enjoyed a great Thanksgiving buffet at Reflections including all the usual suspects, my son said the ham was the best he ever ate. He was even too full for dessert! But our server told him he could bring a dessert back to the room to eat later. Eating at Barefoot by the Sea was a delight, the beach sand is so wonderfully soft so its great to be able to dig your toes in during a meal! For lunch we usually ate at Arizonas, for the convenience as well as the food.  The jerk pork was my husbands' favorite!  The hot dogs were great too.  Breakfast at Schooners was very good, a step above the usual buffet and omelet choices, although my husband loved the breakfast burrito at Reflections, too.  Reflections also has a fresh Smoothie set up for breakfast. Definitely go to Giuseppe’s for breakfast at least once as well. For good coffee, pastries and croissants head to the Cafe de Paris all day long.  Cricketers was fun with the best beer and really good chicken pot pie and sheppard’s pie. The wait for pizza at Gordons is long, we ordered and my kids took a quick turn at the surf simulator while I waited, but when it arrived the pizza was great, I had a walnut, feta and spinach pizza that was excellent. For bars, as adults only, turtles was excellent with their service and the quality of their drinks.
Our kids did do the parasailing, one each at different times (it took my daughter an extra day to get the courage up!).  They enjoyed it, said the ride was very smooth up in the air, not so much in the boat!  It cost $75/ person, and they wouldn't discount it if they rode up at the same time.  They did allow my husband to ride in the boat with them for free to take pictures, etc., but you have to agree to that before you get in the boat, or else they will try to charge you $20 once you are in the boat.  They don't bargain on these prices.  They charged $50/ person to go on the banana boat/tube ride.  We rode the Hobie Cat, but we hadn't had a lesson so we were given a ride by one of the workers, it was fun but the water was rough so we were glad to have a guide!  Next time we will get lessons.  Our guide told us the bikes are very hard to work and not much fun.
Plan a lot of time to get through security on your way home, especially on a Saturday.
The color of the water, the kindness of the people, the variety of food and activities made it so hard to leave, I could only do so by promising myself that I will be back!

Room Tip: I loved the location of the Caribbean village, very close to the beach, nice pools, good value if yo...
Bracknell, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 November 2011

After waiting 11 years to return to Beaches T & C we maybe had our hopes too high. We are regular Sandals patrons so expected the same level of service as we have had at the sister hotels.
We were there for a week 13-21st Nov we had booked the Honeymoon Parrot Cay suites in the Carribean village, and the main request we had when we booked 7 months ago, was not to be on the ground floor. When we arrived after a very long flight, we were told that this was not possible, after some prolonged wrangling they found us the rooms on the 1st floor - even though they had told us that they were at 100% occupancy. When we got to the rooms they were fine, clean, spacious and comfortable. My only problem with the room was the 2 steps up to the bathroom, I was afraid of slipping in the night.
Again, because the resort was full the complimentary upgrade that we would get (space available) was not available - a disappointment but was space available so understood. To be fair to the team, we were moved to the Italian village on the Weds to our upgraded rooms, lovely rooms and again no real complaints here except that the lifts were constantly breaking down, at one point all 3 were broken and we were on the 6th floor! Glad the service lift worked.

Food.
We ate at most of the restaurants, again felt that they could do better and the menus at each place were pretty much the same, if you were here for 2 weeks you would be bored of the food.
Marios, awful, poor food, poor service and was a shambles.
Barefoot on the Beach was wonderful for dinner, the food was great quality clean plates, however Breakfast left a little to be desired, not great quality of food and the choice was limited.
Schooners, again breakfast was not good quality, Dinner was average but slow.
Guiseppes, was the best place for breakfast had plenty of choice you could sit in or outside and the staff were attentive and the service levels were high. Dinner was buffet style and not that great quality wise/
Arizonas, food was buffet style and cold in the silver platters, however there was food that you could ask to be cooked to order on the grills. Did not try Dinner here.
Sapidillos was the saving grace, without Stephen and the team there we would have suffered. The team were fantastic and these were the best meals we had, a real 10 out of 10 for the team there and there were clean plates each time we went. Thanks Renee for your attention!
Le Petit Maison, a nice meal lacked a bit in atmosphere.
Cricketers was entertaining and good food.

Bars, the smoothie bar was a nice touch and the swim up bar near the beach was OK with Benj making a wicked dirty banana cocktail. Personally the Adults bar was not for me, but some people looked like they were having fun. There were staff walking up and down the beach serving drinks but visits were seldom ( maybe saw him twice a day)

There were plenty of places to get your sun loungers and you did not have to get up at 6 in the morning to reserve them which was great, Plenty of towels to use even after the heavy rain showers they were fully stocked.

This is a place for Families and we were a party of 6 adults so the Sesame Street part of it was lost on us but it was great for the families and kids.

The staff are ok, there are some stars there but others need attention and even when this was mentioned to the senior management no solutions were forthcoming,in fact one of our party was asked what he would do to fix the problems by the manager!

The beach and grounds are well looked after and there is care here so it looks beautiful.

The departure lounge is standard and normally a wonderful facility, shame that the day we left there was no hot water and they had been trying to fix it all day so topped off our trip and we were pleased to get out.

Would I return ? sadly not, we paid A LOT of money and we had high hopes that were dashed. The resort in my opinion is now too big and the quality of care and service has declined. At full capacity there are 2500 guests so expect queues and noise. I am still a fan of Sandals but will stick to where I know it works ...

Room Tip: The rooms at the Caribbean village quieter and are close to the beach, the Italian village is nice a...
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
6 Thank eklhrvs2016
SRICS, Manager at Beaches Turks & Caicos Resort Villages & Spa, responded to this review, 5 December 2011
Warm greetings from Sandals Resorts International! You are very important to us and we welcome the opportunity to speak with you. Please e-mail us at (customerservice@beaches.com). We look forward to hearing from you. Warm regards.
Chicago, Il
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 November 2011

Let me start by stating that we attempted to rebook for next year and we were unable too...
We are very discerning travellers--typically travel to 5-star locations and were worried about staying at an all-inclusive due to service and food issues. While some of our worries did play out...overall, we had a wonderful vacation.
We stayed in the Italian village and had booked a medici suite which was the highest class of suite available at the time of booking. It is advertised as an oceanview--which it is not. I talked to the manager and they were able to upgrade us to a Michelangelo suite. The only difference in the suite categories is the view. The suites are all exactly the same. The Medici suites are on the 3rd floor and the michelango suites are on the 5th and 6th floor-otherwise they are identical. The view from the 5th floor is amazing and I highly recommend this suite-even over oceanfront--I liked the view of both the pool and the ocean. The rooms were great. Nicely upgraded, plenty of space, the bunk rooms are perfect for a family with 3 kids. Definitely felt like a 5 star room-very comfortable beds, big balconies. The only slight problem with the rooms was lack of hot water at 5:30pm when everyone was getting ready for dinner.
We were concerned about the advertised butler service because we had been to other resorts that advertised butler service and it was non-existant. Our Butlers were Minto and Arnold and they were amazing. They completely made our vacation. They unpack for you, arrange dinner and take you to dinner, so you don't wait in any lines, bring you breakfast, save seats at the beach, reserve cabanas (you can't get a cabana without butler service), bring you snacks at 11:30 every day, include shrimp if you request it, bring you keys if yours stop working, really just make the vacation wonderful. They give you a phone to call them at any time from any place for any need. I can't say enough that the Butler service is what will bring us back to this resort. We loved our trip, but would not even consider coming without Butler service. Three big thumbs up for Minto and Arnold and hope the management shows them this review!
The water park is amazing and the kids loved it! 4 slides, two big and two medium sized, then a bunch of smaller ones for 4 and under kiddos. lazy river and the surf simulator is very cool.
The Sesame characters were a huge hit with our 5 year old, even though she never really watches the show. They are very clean and out and about very often-big thumbs up! The sesame parade and shows are worth doing and very cute.
Beach and ocean front is beautiful. Sand as perfect as sand can be.
Italian village pool is very nice, with different areas with all different depths for all swimmers. The hot tub is great too-huge and a great hangout after the sun goes down. Kids loved the swim up bar.
We did not take advantage of the kids club, other than having the kids play ping pong, pop a shot and pool. It seemed a little crazy and we were not comforatable with them taking our kids to the beach, etc...although it seemed like the there were a lot of people taking advantage of it and really enjoying it.
The gym was adequate, although they only have 2 eliptical machines, which were tough to get on with a resort that size.
The only complaints I have were:
1. The food....I would compare it to cruise food..which some people love...but if you are used to high end dining...this was not it. We were not going in with high expectations and it landed about where I expected--which was good, definitely not great. by the end of the trip, I was really looking forward to a good meal. the best lunch is Arizona (and we loved meeting and chatting with Morris, the manager)--grilled meats are very good. Barefoots on the beach was pretty tasty, too.Dinner were all just ok. Kimonos is good, you need to get reservations the minute you get to the resort, even with a Butler it was a bit dicey getting in there. The fish is all just ok-except the mahi mahi at arizona's dinner, that was very good. The sushi is pretty good and worth going to to break up the other meals....but not terrific.
Generally, I give the food a C+....the worst was the coffee....ugg...terrible coffee.
My only other real complaint was the tennis pro--yikes, don't bother to pack your tennis gear...not worth the trouble. They need to get someone who really has a passion for tennis. I went over there with my sons during the "free lessons' and he was too busy texting and cleaning off the hard courts instead of holding the lesson on the clay courts that were playable.
The kitty kat cruise is ok...but go on a calm day...we went it was too rough and tough for little ones to snorkel.
Bedtime story with Zoe is very expensive, but totally worth it...my kids loved it!

overall ratings:
room: A
bulterserivce: A+
overall service at resort: B (some grumpy people at the icecream store and coffe shop takes forever to get a coffee)
pools: A
ocean/beach: A+
food: C (barely)
waterpark: A-

I think it is a perfect vacation with young children--ours are 5, 7 and 9 and were at the older end...many families had toddlers and the resort is great for them.
if you are a couple....don't even consider it. this is all about families and you will be miserable....go to parrot cay.

oh, as a last comment...I would definitely stay in the italian village...the carribean village is very tired looking (although pool looked fun) and french village far from the beach and not as nice as italian village.

Room Tip: stay in the michelango suite....or in the italian village if you are not booking a butler suite.
4 Thank ChicagoLambeau
Naperville, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 November 2011

Beaches Turks and Caicos is a great choice for a family vacation. It doesn't ever feel crowded and there are a lot of kids activities.

Lynbrook, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 November 2011

I am writing to make you aware of the exceptional instruction that I received from Gustavo Simons-Martinez, your PADI course director.

I was trained by Gustavo from Saturday 11/5/11 thru Tuesday 11/8/11 for my Advanced Open Water Diver certification. From the moment my training began, Gustavo was meticulously detailed and informative regarding the concepts and proper skills required for Scuba Diving. He was extremely patient and answered all of my questions (Note: I asked many more questions than the typical scuba student since I am a casualty claims adjuster/investigator!) He even injected humor, here and there, to keep the experience fun!

I have been a business person for close to 40 years now and have seen all levels of employee competence in that time. Believe me, Gustavo is an outstanding employee and a tremendous asset to the Beaches dive program! I have visited Beaches Turks & Caicos 6-7 times over the last 15 years and have received instruction from your other dive shop employees in the past. I assure you, there is no comparison between the detailed level of instruction I just received from Gustavo and the previous instruction provided by your other dive staff. Gustavo patiently explained every Scuba concept and its application, just as a college professor would. The prior instruction that I received was superficial by comparison!

To sum up, because of Gustavo's excellent course instruction, I intend to continue to advance my scuba education by taking additional courses at Beaches in the future. Gustavo has gotten me even more excited about the sport of scuba diving, and I now see many more advanced courses and certifications in my future. Gustavo is a gem of an instructor and I am very grateful to have had him as my teacher!!

Stayed November 2011, travelled solo