“Check your expectations before booking”

Beaches Turks & Caicos Resort Villages & Spa
Ranked #13 of 45 Hotels in Providenciales
London, England, UK
“Check your expectations before booking”
Reviewed 22 June 2012

So I have to caveat this review with some background information. I think that the style of travel you are used to will greatly impact on your overall impression of a Beaches holiday, and thus it’s pretty important when considering a trip there. I have been to two all-inclusives in the past, including a Sandals property on St Lucia – so we were fairly aware of what the general experience would be. But in the past few years we have upped the game a bit and now we are used to staying in more high end properties like a Four Seasons. So we got used to what that had to offer. To me that is what real “luxury” and “five star” is. And no, I don’t think that is what Beaches really offers.

So if you are used to really high end stuff, please don’t expect that at Beaches. Despite the claims, this is not truly luxury. The food is not amazing or gourmet. The service is not five star. Etc... etc...

Does this mean it sucks? Not at all. In fact the majority of the lovely people we met while on holiday absolutely loved the property and many of them were repeat visitors.

The food was decent, if a bit bland and average. I would rate it as a equivalent to a mid to high end chain restaurant in the US. I would not rate it like a truly metropolitan gourmet restaurant, and sorry but Sopadillas is not even close to Michelin star quality.

The service is of course spotty (as reported in many reviews). It’s not a huge problem to deal with slow and unenthusiastic servers at restaurants, but its rather funny sometimes as you witness the “island time” epidemic in full force. Shout out to the very tall lady server at Schooners who seems to make an art form over moving very very slowly and never ever being cheerful. Overall we were “ok” with the service, and our concierge was extremely helpful and friendly. We were there during the infamous virus outbreak, so we had some moments with the front desk that were rather amusing – such as when they claimed they had closed the kids camp due to routine maintenance and naturally we should have been told this when we booked (patently a lie and disabused by our travel agent AND other staff members). Pretty much what I expected from Sandals though, as they are fairly notorious for taking the money and trying not to give it back. We did ask for a free cabana and free babysitting to make up for what we were missing and we got it – thanks to our above mentioned concierge. The final experience of the departure lounge leaves many things to be desired as the lady who runs the place obviously wishes she had a cattle prod to really drive home her theories on service.

The kids camp...hmmm....well I developed a feeling that the babies are fine with it, and the older toddlers (3+) like it, but the 1-3 range seem to hate it. We took our daughter (who loves her nursery at home and is very outgoing and comfortable with strangers) there for two days and she was pretty miserable. It just seemed really chaotic and I am not convinced that they actually do follow the ratios of 3 children under age 2 to every care worker. There were definitely a lot of sobbing toddlers there, including my own. We didn’t feel right bringing her back, so we kept her with us the rest of the holiday. And every time we walked near Camp Sesame she got upset and said “no play!”. Not a super great sign. Seriously though, I am sure you can leave your child there and they will be safe and entertained at times, but I think you are fooling yourself if you think they really like it there and are not going to be unhappy about it. All our babysitters were great except the first one (!) who could barely speak English and who comforted our toddler when she fussed and woke up by sitting up with her and watching TV for two hours. Hmmm....

We stayed in the Italian Village. We booked the Venetian suit, but were upgraded to a Roman Penthouse (more on the upgrade later) with an ocean view. The room was fine...not as nice as 5-star resorts, but pretty much what I expected. Housekeeping was consistent and good. The bed was great, and the full size crib for our daughter was nice. Water pressure leaves something to be desired, and of course as well the water is treated at the resort it often has this sulphery smell to it (even better for drinking!). From what we saw, we thought the Caribbean village was frankly a bit grim and like some kind of holdover from the 80s spring break era, the French village was o.k., and the Italian village was the only one that had a true hint of luxury.

We had wanted to upgrade to a butler suite, but supposedly none were available, even though we would have paid for it. Strangely, we met some other people on holiday who were offered an upgrade to a Butler suite. Perhaps something to do with the fact that they were professional Premier League footballers? Having a butler definitely would have made this better overall...especially as we would have preferred to have a cabana everyday. We had a butler when we stayed at Sandals, so I knew what we were missing out on.

So overall a mixed experience. We kind of knew what to expect, but wanted to give it a try to see if this was the kind of holiday that worked for us now that we had a family. Sadly, we have learned that it doesn’t, and that will be our last trip to a Sandals resort.

For the same price, we could stay somewhere nicer. Dunno, maybe our expectations have just changed. Perhaps we stayed at too many true five star resorts and now we can’t go back. Certainly our experiences at Four Seasons, Cappella, and Mandarin Oriental properties were a world above the Sandals/Beaches offering...and in many cases for equivalent or less money.

But I do think that what Beaches offers is exactly what a lot of people are after, so I am not trying to discourage people from going there. Just make sure your expectations are right, and if you are used to the fancy fancy stuff then you should probably steer clear.

Finally, I want to thank Mike from Dream Makers Vacations. He truly is “the man” when it comes to booking at a Beaches or Sandals, and our upgraded room was definitely a result of his reputation there. He was also responsive and helpful during the “viral shenanigans” even though he was probably going mad dealing with all the guests who were meant to arrive that week and instead were shuttled off to other places. I hope I haven’t reflected poorly on him with my less than stellar review of Beaches. If you do want to go to this resort, I highly suggest you book via him.

P.S. Turks and Caicos is gorgeous and the beach and water was definitely one of the prettiest I have ever been on...

11 Thank BetteNoir

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,837)
  • Indonesian first
Mount Zion, Illinois, USA
Reviewed 21 June 2012

My husband and I recently treated our children and grandchildren to a vacation at Beaches in Turks and Caicos. We arrived on May 20, 2012 and left May 26, 2012. I was extremely disappointed in our experience. My husband and I had an upgraded room in Parrot Cay. The only redeeming factor was that it had an ocean view. The room was outdated, mold in the bathroom, broken tile and stains on the rug under the bed. The food was a huge disappointment also, the hot food was always cool and the cold food was always warm. I expected really nice meals but steaks were almost non existent and the buffets left a lot to be desired. The staff was a mixture of friendly and completely rude. The pool near the kids room was closed on 2 different days for most of the day. The one good thing I can say about the resort is the grounds were very clean. Garbage cans were kept empty and no trash laying around.
The airport was a nightmare. Upon arrival we stood in line at customs for about 1 hour. Agent was rude and had an attitude. Transportation consisted of beat up vans. When returning there were 5 planes scheduled to leave at the same time and the airport was really only setup to accomodate about 2 planes of passengers. The line for security was abosolutely terrible. They only had 2 security lines for probably 1,000 people. It was standing room only while waiting. The women's restroom had 3 stalls and 1 was completely out of order and the other 2 wouldn't flush. You can imagine how that smelled. If Beahces wants to encourage visitors they should invest some money in the airport.
If I had to do again I would choose another resort.

Room Tip: Upgrade to Venetian. Rooms are newer so more updated
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
5 Thank Gayle H
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 21 June 2012

We were scheduled to arrive on June 13, and were happy that this was their first day to re-open. Staff was excited to be back to work. Saw no signs of any bug/virus. Everything was sanitized, clean, smelled clean, lots of soap all around, brand new shower curtains in the rooms. Hopefully this was a blip on the radar and others who had their vacation affected will be able to reschedule.
Because it was the first day, they told us only about 600-800 guests - it was pleasantly uncrowded. It filled up a little every day we were there and was at capacity by Sunday, but we never had to wait for anything - beach chairs, pool chairs, restaurants. Towels did become scarce, just plan ahead.
Very friendly and helpful staff from the moment we arrived to cool towels and rum punch (fruit punch for the kids). Sure you might run into one or two staff per day that weren't in a hurry or happy, but 95% of staff was great. Example, you ask where something is, they offer to walk you there - that happened to us three times!
We were glad we took the orientation tour at 4pm, we had fun girls take us on tour - Rianna and Sheldene and they pointed out places we might have missed.
Rooms - we were in French village which is beautifully landscaped, and farthest from the beach - about a 5-7 walk to the beach, 1-2 min from water park. We were first in a luxury walkout with 2 double beds which was larger than we expected - plenty of room, bathrooms not small, but not huge either. We asked for a King and trundle thinking it would work better for our girls - 6 and 8, and they called the next morning with a room that was ready, and they moved our bags to the new room. Same size room with walkout patio, but the trundle really gave the room noticeably more space. We enjoyed the room.
Activities - we snorkled and it was easy to sign in at Dive shop - they take 1-2 trips in the morning and 1-2 in the afternoon, just sign up the day before. Boat takes about 20-30 folks about 5 minutes out for 45 minutes of snorkle time on the reef - lots of variety of fish, decent coral, just not a lot of numbers of fish on our 2 trips. You can get snorkle gear at the dive shop and do some on your own - when standing on beach looking towards ocean, walk 10 minutes left to Coral Gardens - you can snorkle off shore at the reef there - tons of fish, coral (some dead, some alive), turtles, stingrays. It's now roped off in a loop to keep boats away, swim in a loop and you'll see a lot of variety!
Grace Bay Beach - fantastic, calm in morning, more waves in the afternoon, nice soft sand, found lots of smaller sea shells, loved being on one of the top 10 beaches in the world!
Girls liked the kids camp - check to see the schedules for each age group. Didn't keep them there all day - if they wanted to bake cookies with Cookie Monster, we'd drop them off and get pictures, then pick them back up, take them back if they wanted to do something else. Counselors were great - lots of individual attention.
Wed night Sesame Street Parade was a lot of fun and neat for the girls. Lots of time for good pics.
Water cycles, paddle boards, kayaks are all available.
Pools and Water Park - we liked the French pool, large, more quiet, nice bar, great pool chairs!
Didn't spend much time at Caribbean pool - older and smaller, but fun music and bar
Italian pool is beautiful and close to the beach - more of a party fun atmosphere - bar here was always busy.
Lazy river was nice to do with the kids in the afternoon, and we all loved the slides - there's 2 big ones and 2 smaller ones. Both our girls were able to try the wave simulator and the lifeguards there were fun and helpful.
Dining -
Mario's had a very good breakfast buffet, but dinner was a disappointment - very average italian food.
Cafe in French Village had lots of tasty treats and girls loved the ham&cheese croissants.
Pizza Napoli is very, very good and was a great afternoon snack.
Schooners had excellent seafood.
Barefoot by the Sea was just OK, but a neat atmosphere.
Arizona's had excellent Caribbean jerk chicken and pork for lunch.
Sapodilla's really was terrific - great steaks and seafood - we put it up there with any great steakhouse in the states - a great dining experience.
Kids wanted to go in the afternoon and late night for ice cream at Bobby D's, and the milkshakes were a favorite for all of us.
Cricketer's had decent fish and chips, and great place to watch sports (NBA Finals)
Over and above service from Jose, Glen, and Sheldon at Pizza Napoli/ Lex at Cricketer's/ Omar and Steve at Sapodilla's/ Mario Joseph who helped getting trundle beds set up/ Omar at Kelly's bar (in between Italian Village and Caribbean Village) always remembered our names and favorite drinks/ Dudley on the water slides/ Ruth the lifeguard/ and Sheldene our tour guide.
Only thing I would fix would be music pumped out throughout the resort - expected some reggae/Caribbean and modern hits, but mostly heard syrupy sappy 70's, 80's easy listening stuff - think Carpenters, Peabo Bryson, Jeffrey Osbourne, even heard a Jackson 5 Christmas song! Really should update the playlist to more island music or current hits.
Airport back home wasn't as crowded as I feared, but it was a light travel day - grab to-go boxes from Bobby D's or pizza napoli's and take with you.
We are ready to go back and highly recommend it!!!

4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Whitehouse, Texas
Reviewed 21 June 2012

This was an extremely fun and family friendly place and we will come back as soon as possible. We very very impressed with our room and all of the amazing places to eat here. However, the beach and crystal clear water will steal the show. Everyone in our party had a blast and I highly recommend it to anyone. It may not seem cheap at first, but it is well worth the price.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
5 Thank spittacus
Newark, Delaware, USA
Reviewed 20 June 2012

The resort is beatiful, clean and plenty to do. Many great places to eat on property. Truely all inclusive. Staff is wonderful. I would go back again. We actually book to return in 2013 before we left.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
5 Thank PatriciaLynn65
Connecticut
Reviewed 20 June 2012

Travelled to Beaches Turks and Caicos in 2010. Effortless travel from JFK. Providenciales airport was perfect. Small scale and well-organized. Beaches van waiting for us and a quick transport to the resort. Another plus is that Providenciales is a very friendly, safe, island where we felt comfortable while off the resort.

We stayed in the French Villages which was slightly off the beaten track (which we preferred.) The newest development (Italian Villages) are where all the action is but we liked the quieter section and after all it is only a short stroll through a beautiful resort to get there.

The beaches at Providenciales are spectacular. Very swimmable and safe surf which makes the water activities really enjoyable. They are also a spectacular turquoise color-unbelievable!

My son (12) was scuba certified (resort level) and went on a 30 foot dive. He loved this. He also went para-sailing.

My other son (15) began the week slower (it took a day or 2 to find teens his age-but he did with the help of a gentleman who worked there) and then he didn't want to leave! He has told us many times that this was his favorite vacation ever--and he loved Negril. He has kept in touch with the friends he met there who were actually from Canada.

My husband and I had so many perfect opportunities for quiet, alone time. This is our style. We let the kids dine with friends a few nights and they were out and about all day. My husband also had solo time and found a place to read his papers, golf, and even went to the solitary casino on the island. I, on the other hand stayed on the water--wind-surfing, snorkeling, swimming, etc.

The dance room was very nice, however it was usually empty. I believe the majority of families were younger. The resort was very quiet at night actually. We enjoyed the billiards room/ restaurant and one evening there was a talented jazz saxophonist playing at the italian village pool which was very romantic. Couples were dancing in the area and the lights, water and smooth music made the evening magical! Honestly we did not go to any other shows if there were any. Beaches Negril had the edge on entertainment, but that was fine with us.

If I had to say there was one thing that could be improved upon I would have to say that their basketball court was a joke! My son really would have enjoyed some basketball games while we were there, however the basketball hoops were on a small concrete surface maybe a quarter of an official basketball court size and that is being generous. The tennis courts were nice and located across from the French Villages. I also took a lesson and the instructor was great!

Excellent trip. So far the best, relaxing, family beach vacation we have ever taken! Unfortunately all the other Caribbean resorts pale in comparison to Beaches T&C.

We went with 5 families from our town that we knew somewhat. This was perfect for our kids because there were 12 teens for them to hang around with. I would love to go with my family another time.

We had taken advantage of a terrific offer--I have not seen it again. If we were to pay the full price minus the discounts that they always offer, I would have considered it a very pricey (toward the high end ) vacation. You do however get a commiserate experience. Food is outstanding--really! The dining options are great. We weren't even able to get to all the restaurants at the resorts--and we did try! As always you needn't spend a penny at the resort!

Room Tip: Depends on what you want. Italian Villages on the beach and centrally located. The French Villages...
2 Thank basketball_7
Massapequa, New York
Reviewed 20 June 2012

Had an amazing time! Beach is amazing and Italian Village is the way to go. French Restaurant is best restaurant at Resort. Has a great waterpark as well. Definetly family minded!

Room Tip: The Italian Village is worth the increased upgraded cost!
3 Thank Dan C