“Great trip to Beaches Turks and Caicos”

Beaches Turks & Caicos Resort Villages & Spa
Ranked #13 of 45 Hotels in Providenciales
League City, Texas
“Great trip to Beaches Turks and Caicos”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2014

We loved it, and definitely plan to go back. Our 16 year old son and 13 year old daughter loved it. Plenty to do for all ages. Food is great. Food and drink (including alcohol) really are all inclusive, and the no tipping policy is enforced. The only "inclusive" problem we had was at the dive shop. When we got there, we found out that it was required that we do a refresher session since we had not dove in the last 18 months. At $80 per person, we had to drop $320 before we could take advantage of the inclusive diving. Had we known, we would have done a free refresher class at home before went. Other than that, all was great. For my 16 year old son, the "controlled freedom" of being able to wonder around the resort with the friends he met was great. My daughter especially loved the shows. To the Beaches T&C management - we we want to say a special thanks to Theodore of the entertainment staff. He made our daughter feel welcome by personally showing her some dance steps. He was always smiling and full of energy. Great member of your team!!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank LaraK01
Lauren B, Online Review Coordinator at Beaches Turks & Caicos Resort Villages & Spa, responded to this review, 13 July 2014
Hello Lara,
Thank you for your great review! We are delighted that your family had an amazing time at Beaches Turks and Caicos and we appreciate you sharing all the highlights of your trip with us. We will certainly share your kind remarks with the team. It was our pleasure to host your family vacation and we hope to welcome you all back again soon!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,807)
  • Indonesian first
Manalapan, NJ
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2014

We heard many great things about this resort before booking our first trip here. Because we booked our trip late, the only rooms left were in the Caribbean Village. Even though it is in the "older" section of the resort, the room was clean and comfortable, and we had picture-postcard pool and beach views from our balcony. The shuttle ride from the airport was approx. 15 mins (paved roads) and they bring cold water bottles for guests to drink. Upon arriving at the resort, we were greeted with rum punch drinks and our luggage was delivered to our room immediately. After getting settled, we decided to walk the grounds and as we couldn't wait to get familiar with the property. FYI, the French Village is pretty and is the center of the evening shows, but is not beachfront. Italy and Key West are brand new and stunning in design and are both beachfront. I think I heard the pool in Key West is adult-only, but the Italy pool is a short walk away. The pools in both Italy and France are beautiful but offer little shady areas. Overall we would return someday because Beaches truly is a little bit of paradise. Here is our pro and con list:

Pros:
1. The Caribbean Village may be older but the foliage is more mature, making shady areas by the pools and beach easier to find.
2. Lunch poolside at the Cascades pool in the Caribbean Village is superb.
3. All the restaurants on the property offer excellent quality food.
4. Bar drinks are also top shelf.
5. Enjoyed early morning yoga on the beach (conveniently on Caribbean Village side)
6. Friday night beach party with food, games, bonfire (conveniently on Caribbean Village side)
7. Snorkel boat tour was really great.
8. We did not take scuba lessons, but many others did and loved the experience and opportunity.
9. Even though the resort was at full occupancy, we never felt like it was crowded. The property is so large and there are so many things to do, the guests are spread out everywhere.
10. The water park was a lot of fun, but if you've ever been to Atlantis there is no comparison, but we enjoyed it very much and were happy that Beaches added it to the property.
11. Our favorite adult hang-out bar at night was Turtles. The bartenders Akein, David, Lori-Ann, and the-other-David could not make you feel any more welcome. The nightly music and dancing was amazing, especially Mr. Simmons who played music and sang.
12. Our trip was during the FIFA World Cup soccer games. The pubs on the property, esp. Cricketeers, had the games on for the guests to enjoy. Plus our maid would set our TV to the correct channel in our room for us!

Cons:
1. You cannot get a clean beach/pool towel between 9am-4pm. The bins are all empty, mainly because the guests save chairs with them and disappear. We learned by the 2nd day to hoard clean towels in our room each night to use the next morning. I am aware this most likely contributed to the towel shortage problem, but we didn't know what else to do.
2. Early in the week, we were impressed that the daily maid service was provided twice each day. By the time we came back from breakfast the beds were made! By mid-week, this service dwindled to once a day later in the afternoon.
3. There is a woman who works the omelet station in Reflections who was so rude I was nearly in tears one morning (interesting to note I found out it wasn't just me, other guests had similar experiences). I wanted to complain to the management but my husband didn't want me to start a fuss, so I let it go, but I'm still irritated, so I'm writing it here.
4. We are a family of 4, youngest 16, who is 5"9' tall. The adult-only French restaurant did not want to let him eat there because he didn't look 16. After discussing it with the manager on duty, they seated us inside, and we passed a table that had a boy who looked 12 or 13 seated with his parents. So then why the hassle? After being seated, we noticed ants crawling all over the table, so we asked they change our table. Even though the food was amazing, our experience here was not top notch. (Side note: During dinner, we watched them seat another group at the "ant" table. Couldn't believe our eyes.)
5. Recommend you bring your own swim goggles even though the resort includes "all water sports equipment". The ones they have are checked out all day long and you can't get them.
6. You have to ask for a fitness schedule, they don't give it to you upon arrival.
7. My husband's 50th birthday was the reason for our trip to Beaches. I asked the waitress at Kimono's if she could bring something with a candle in it at the end of dinner. I think she mentioned a cheesecake, it was hard to hear her because it was so loud and fun in there, but I told her anything would be fine. I don't know what happened but we never got a cake. I should have managed this one better in advance, so I blame myself.
8. All beach and pool cabanas are reserved for butler service guests only. I'm sure the butler service is wonderful, but we opted not to have that added cost. But those that don't have it sometimes feel like second-hand citizens. Picnic tables are even reserved at the Friday night beach party for butler service guests. I can see fancy restaurants, but beach party? Seriously?
9. The checkout process at this resort needs a complete overhaul . Our flight was not included on the flight list put in our room the day before our departure. We went down to the front desk, they apologized and added our flight to the list. Somehow the luggage crew didn't get an updated list because the next morning our luggage was not picked up at the indicated time, so after waiting another 20 mins or so, we carried it all to the lobby ourselves to avoid missing our shuttle. They presume you know that you have to walk to a separate "departure lounge" across the property (we stood there like idiots not knowing this), so they took our luggage but not us. Hmmm. Ok, so we finally find out we have to walk over to the departure lounge where for the first time all week we were made to feel like cattle. All the luggage is put in a room where one person from your party needs to go and locate your pieces. (Didn't I just have my luggage a few minutes ago?) Then they start calling families by flight number to reclaim their luggage and board shuttle vans. And of course, our flight wasn't called because of the list error the day before. It was a very frustrating way to end a beautiful week of relaxation, and except for the omelet lady, was the only time we were made to feel like unwelcome guests.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
10 Thank JHalo
Sewell, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2014

I have been meaning to write this review for many months and just have not had the time.
We were at the Beaches French Village at the end of February 2014. What an amazing time!!! We are a family of three with a 9 year old. The room was spacious, clean and comfortable. I found the location to be wonderful. For all of the reviews that mention how long of a walk it is to the beach, I don't agree. I found being between Key West and the Caribbean and behind Italy very convenient. The pool at the French Village was very relaxing. The only complaint I would have is that the pool was closed almost every day at some point due to guests not having appropriate swim pants on young children. This is not a reflection on the Beaches resort of course, but maybe this should be a policy that is more enforced.
As for the food, YUM! We loved Arizona's for lunch and dinner. We ate in the French restaurant and that was fantastic as well. Marios was ok, always a buffet. Loved the dessert shop in France so convenient! I must say our absolute favorite was Schooners! We had dinner there twice! Once was just my husband and I. We had a wonderful dinner thanks to our waitress Nicola. She is a fantastic server!!! We told her that we would return the next night with our 9 year old and she said that she would look for us. The next evening we arrived and she made our night so special THANK YOU NICOLA!!!! she had a beautiful table set for us and made my child feel so special !!!
The other amazing part of the trip besides the phenomenal beaches and water was the entertainment for the kids. There is a camp that you can enroll your child(ren) in for the day and it allows the parents to relax. I felt somewhat guilty at first about this, but then I went and checked up on the group and my son was having a blast!!! Wanted to do it again the next day!
Overall Beaches T&C was a beautiful place with great accommodations, great food and entertainment for kids.
We cannot wait to go back

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank luv2vacabb
Bronx, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2014

This was our 2nd trip to beaches, this time we stayed at key west village. All we can say is amazing beach, great food, no waiting at any delicious restaurant, clean, beautiful property and rooms. The washer and dryer was a nice surprise. The staff goes above and beyond, we love it there, can't wait to go back.

Room Tip: Key west is more laid back than the Italian or Caribbean side
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
6 Thank Frank S
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2014

Prior to booking, we were given wrong information and told that divers who earned resort certification could dive with certified divers. This was not true and our plans to dive as a family were ruined. We planned the trip based on this information.

Additionally they sent us checkout information and called our room looking for another guest and then tried to reach this guest in our room! Besides that the resort is clean, service friendly, place geared to all ages. The water park kept our 13 year olds happy. I might go back to this resort but I don't trust them any more as to what they may or may not deliver.

• Stayed June 2014
2 Thank LisaB727
Lauren B, Online Review Coordinator at Beaches Turks & Caicos Resort Villages & Spa, responded to this review, 11 July 2014
Hello Lisa,

Thank you for your review of Beaches Turks and Caicos. We are pleased that you did enjoy your time with us but we regret to hear that you had some concerns in regards to the information conveyed during your booking process. We do apologize for any confusion and the inconvenience that may have resulted from this situation. We appreciate you taking the time to notify us of your concerns and I will be sharing your feedback with the relevant departments for further review. We value all of your input and we hope that in the future we will have the opportunity to serve you more efficiently.
Sunset, South Carolina
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2014

This is a difficult review to write. We took a family of 16 for a 50th wedding anniversary celebration. It was our first experience with an all inclusive resort and will probably be the last. There are several things that are great about the resort, several things that are terrible, and a lot of mediocrity in between.

From the time we booked, we had difficulty with communications. Because we have smaller grandchildren, we wanted to have adjoining rooms with their parents. We were told to book very early to insure adjoining rooms so reservations were made over a year and a half in advance in the French Village. Imagine our surprise when several months before our anticipated arrival, we were told that the resort could not guarantee adjoining rooms. This is supposed to be a family resort and I found this answer to be unacceptable. As a result of the failure to guarantee adding rooms, we then moved our room reservations to 2 bedroom concierge suites in the Key West Village. As a result of this change, we ended up paying substantially more than our original booking would have been and as a reward for extra revenue to the resort, they took away our "group" status as we were now booking 4 rooms(7 bedrooms) and they had recently changed their policy to grant group status to room bookings of 5 or more! After an angry E-mail to the General Manager, Beaches did reinstate our "group" status and group amenities but the experience left a bad taste in my mouth and we hadn't even arrived yet.

Another issue is sleeping arrangements. Again, as a family resort, why have 2 bedrooms with King beds in both? We had a few teens with us who were not keen on sharing a king bed. Why in the world wouldn't a family hotel have a king room for parents and another bedroom with 2 beds, either twin or full? For a family of more than 4, the additional sleeping option is a trundle bed in the living room of the suite. Beaches claims that these 2 bedroom suites sleep 6 but unless 2 of your family want to share the second king and others sleep on a trundle bed, it is a lousy arrangement for the price being charged.

Food was another issue. As a group of 16, we wanted to eat as a group each evening, either at a table of 16 or 2 tables of 8. We were told that only one restaurant took a reservation and that was Kimonos. We could show up at 6:30 and probably be seated as a group but we wanted to eat later at 8-8:15 so everyone could clean up after a day on the beach. We were told that we would not be able to do that. I said we would even confirm each day with a restaurant manager that we would be coming that evening with a large group but were told repeatedly that we could not make reservations and it was a strictly first come first serve proposition. We decided to make a firm reservation at Kimonos and then take our chances with the other restaurants by simply showing up at the 8:00 time frame and see if we could all be seated. Imagine our shock when we showed up at Kimonos at 8:00 PM for our reservation that had been made 3 months in advance and, was listed on our group activities sheet, and were told WE HAD NO RESERVATION! The manager actually asked me to go back to my room and bring back proof that we had a reservation. I refused and he then said "I'm taking a risk but I will seat you". How's that for customer service! To add additional insult, our group went to the Italian restaurant, Maurio's, one night at 8:15 and I was told by the greeter that we should have had a reservation made by the culinary concierge. After informing here that I had tried for months to get reservations and was told , even by their own staff member the same morning at breakfast, that it was a strictly first come basis. I did speak with the restaurant manager and expressed my belief that no one in Beaches talks to on another. The right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing.

On a positive note, we did have great meals at SOY, the sushi restaurant and Schooners. Mercedes was the manager at Soy and went out of her way to give us two of the best meals we had at Beaches. The manager at Schooners also arranged a table of 16 for us and the meal was very nice. We also had a private anniversary dinner for the 16 of us that was very well done, albeit at a hefty surcharge over the all inclusive rate. Overall, however, we found the restaurants to be just average in terms of quality of food and presentation. The nice thing about an all inclusive resort is that you can eat often and as much as you want out don't expect to to be a fine dining experience.

What is excellent? The beach, pools and water park. The beach was as good as any that I have ever been to. The pools with swim up bars were also great. My only complaint is that there was not enough shade as it gets very hot in the afternoon and cabanas, umbrellas seemed to be taken early by butlers for their assigned families, leaving most of us to fend for ourselves with the sun.

Included activités are a bit of a joke also. We did a hobie cat ride that lasted less than 10 minutes. Two in our group wanted to dive but had to take the refresher course first which we paid for in advance. On the day of the course, the watersports desk had no record of their reservation. Snorkeling is done with a very large group and when we booked a private snorkeling trip, Beaches canceled it on the day we were to go out.

I could go on longer but I hope readers have gotten a feel for some of the frustrations we encountered. This is a great property on a great beach with great water activities. It is marred by a lack of customer service ( a trait I have noted on many caribbean islands), poor communications amongst staff and inconsistent rules. If you are looking for a resort where food is measured more by quantity than quality, promises and reservations don't seem to matter and activities are crowded, Beaches is your place. I, however, will never return.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
15 Thank 41RobertB41
Hello Robert,

Thank you for taking the time to reach out to us about your stay at Beaches Turks and Caicos. Our goal is to provide our guests with excellent customer service from the time of booking until check-out and we were truly disappointed to hear that there was some confusion that marred your overall experience. We always want to ensure that we’re serving our guests efficiently and your comments indicate that there is much room for improvement, especially within our communication process. I will be sharing your remarks with all relevant departments for immediate evaluation and action as needed. We hope you will allow us to make this up to you on a future stay with us. We would love to welcome you back and provide the excellent service for which we are known.
Wichita Falls, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2014

I didn't know if the employees weren't paid enough or just disliked me. Every eatery has a different set of rules. I paid way too much to be told I had to wear shoes to the on the beach dinning facility on a hot evening.. Tired and hungry with no notices in the rooms or around the resort. You get up to the seating area and they send you away for this or that. Some places not serving you if you are wearing shorts. Even a nice pair.. We had a great time despite the awkwardness.. I saw people being treated like garbage trying to rent snorkeling equipment. I couldn't get a seat by the pool unless I got up at 6 am and put a book or blanket to hold a spot. Funny how most the seats were always empty but being held. It was just stupid. Seriously. And their were more rules about the beach and the hours you could do things.. people were in long lines waiting on the hot sand just to use a water bike.. couldn't use snorkel gear if it were 1 hour till they closed the shop.. Were told if we didn't bring gear back within a two hour window we would be charged. Had to leave a deposit of 300 to get video games for the kids in the room. But the part that bothered me the most was the eating requirements. You walk all the way to the other end of the resort thinking your gonna have a romantic dinner only to be chased away to change into something else.. Dress code changed that day they said.. Talk about frustrations. They have your money, there is no one to complain to. Also one small bracelet was stollen from my room.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family