“Gotta Dive Turks? - Don't Dive w/ Beaches”

Beaches Turks & Caicos Resort Villages & Spa
Ranked #12 of 44 Hotels in Providenciales
Reviewed 22 June 2009

This trip was to celebrate a 50th wedding anniversary for my parents and my son's high school graduation. We chose Beaches for convenience plus my parents had been before and liked it. I just wanted easy so I could focus on scuba diving a world class location!

My son and I are experienced scuba divers and I was instantly disappointed with Beaches because I wasn't able to get complete answers to any of my questions of their dive staff (or anyone else) in advance of our stay. As a result, we weren't able to take advantage of the included diving. Instead we booked our dives with Dive Provo and were exceptionally pleased. If you are a new diver or one who dives infrequently, I'm sure the dives you'd get with Beaches would be satisfactory. If you dive all the time, then don't even think about diving with them as it is clear they micro-manage the dives, dive profiles and every aspect of your diving.

If you do want to dive with them you'll do a check-out dive if you haven't dived in the last six months. This will cost you a lost day of diving. If you've dived w/in the last six months you have to sit through an orientation that is run at 8:30 a.m. and 3 p.m. daily which may or may not cost you a day of diving. If you want to pay for a night dive, you must dive with them on a day dive first or they won't take you out. Seems to me this simple information could be posted on their website and/or available from one of their people on the reservation line. Had I had this info in advance, it may have made a difference in my planning.

The idea of an all-inclusive is a good one - for some. This resort is ideal for families with young (under 10) children. Your young children will have a blast. I can only imagine most teens would be seriously bored unless they loved the beach or the pools and could cope with being unplugged. Otherwise, they'll spend their whole time surfing the internet and why go through the expense of the trip if that's the case? Young couples might love this place if they aren't the Club Med type looking for lots of loud, wild parties. The alcohol is free-flowing and they weren't cheap with the amount they poured, if that's your thing - as divers, it meant nothing to us and didn't add value. If you are expecting top quality meals, don't go to Beaches; or, lower your expectation level. There was a lot of food. We liked Arizona's and the pizza at the main pool. The main lobby buffet was OK. The other restaurants were so-so to downright awful.

It was an easy place for my elderly parents to navigate. The rooms were clean, comfortable and quiet. The beach was awesome and the pools were great. The service was a mix from downright surly to extremely pleasant. Most of the time, being polite and giving a smile got the same in return; but, not always. Some of the staff seem to resent the guests and don't see why they should give good service since they know there is no tip coming their way.

4  Thank scubadad13

Reviewed 22 June 2009

All inclusive, swim up bar, Camp Sesame (to watch your little ones for a little alone time), lots of entertainment, Sesame Street character activities and meet and greets, character breakfast GREAT! Beach was very long and the most beautiful I've seen! Something like 16 places to eat - gorgeous landscaping and extremely friendly staff make you feel at home!

1  Thank banspark
Reviewed 21 June 2009

WOW!! That’s all we can say and it was our second time there!! Our first visit was last year, same time (11-18 June). My son and his girl friend graduated HS last year so our family and hers decided to go to T&C as a grad gift. We were 8 in all, my wife and I, 15yo daughter, and 18yo son. My sons GF, mom and dad and 15yo brother were the other half of the bunch. Between the food, beachs, pools, drinks, hobie cat, snorkeling, sea kayak, wind surfing, beach volleyball, Xbox room, and DIVING (ALL of which are included) there was plenty to eat, drink, and do!!
Our time there was so amazing all we could think about was returning… so we did, this year!! We just got back from our second trip and it was just as good as the first, if not better. I ate, drank, and Scuba dived my butt off!! My wife and daughter dove as well, we did both two and one tank dives. For $80 I did a night dive (Awesome) and also for $80 each we all did a rare French Key dive, which is off of the south side of the island. Nothing compared to this dive, we saw Spotted Morays, huge lobsters, HUGE Grouper, spotted and green Moray eels, all sorts of tropical fish, barracuda, sea turtles, and black tip and sand sharks!! No BS, SHARKS!! They swam around us like nothing. They were anywhere from 3 to 5 feet long. All of the other dives were either in Grace Bay (10 min boat ride) or North West Point (50 Mins away). These dives were great also. The Dive instructors there are all top notch, Jonny, Kevin, Tanya (whatever you do, don’t try to pet the shark on her watch!!), Nadia, Leon, Mitch, Kabul, Chris, and Elvis. Captains Chris, Geron, and the others new there stuff when it came to getting us to the dive sites. The really cool thing is most of the things we saw at 60 to 100 feet you can see while snorkeling just off the shore!! Just a 5 min walk down the beach is a reef just off shore that is just for snorkeling and man can you see a lot there.
Ok, enough about the diving, now lets talk food and drinks!! Swim up bars with seats, 16 restaurants, all the food and drinks (with or without alcohol) you can eat/drink!! The food was served with style and class and tasted great!! You can go formal or flip flops and a T depending on where you chose to dine. They even have a diner that stays open 24hrs!! Desert/coffee shop, fresh made pizza to order, it’s a good thing they also have a gym or I would have been in “BIG” trouble!
I don’t know how they do it but the staff ALWAYS greets you with a warm smile and cheerful “hello”. Most will also ask you if all is ok. They are a hard working bunch of people; one young man served us lunch at 1200, dinner that night at 9pm, and then was in the next morning by 7 to set up breakfast. Not to mention all of the wait staff, chefs, and hostesses. We stayed in the Caribbean Village, it’s the same place we stayed last year. We requested it because of how close it was to the beach and pool (one of 4). This time we stayed on the third floor, our balcony faced the pool and beach, very nice. The beds are a little small but owe well, next time we may try a king size bed.
There was one other thing that truly amazed me, how many of the staff actually remembered us!! After one year and thousands of faces they remembered! “You were here last year weren’t you?” I could not believe it! We have discussed trying another resort next time but at Beaches T&C we feel like we are with family, which is why we will be returning soon.

4  Thank HDMan67
Reviewed 21 June 2009

As hard as i try i can not find fault with the hotel or the location.

the service at the hotel is exemplary, nothing is too much trouble, the whole set up is magnificent.

could not reccomend this highly enough

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 June 2009

We (myself, my wife, and our two boys (4 and 5 year old) just got back from Beaches Turks and Caicos. Overall, it was an excellent vacation. We stayed at the French Village which was very nice. Our room was very up to date with a large screen TV (which was used very little). The beds were very comfortable. The room was very clean, and their service was outstanding (they came around a second time in the evenings to make sure we had towels and that the room was generally in good shape). The Caribbean village looked a bit dated from the outside, and the Italian village is probably a bit nicer, although honestly we spent so little time in the room I would not spend a lot of extra money for the room alone. We shared a single room which was quite spacious and fine for us. If you have older kids you might consider the one bedroom suites.

The facilities are impecable. Everyone is very, very friendly. As they advertise, I did not touch my wallet except to pay for some over-priced photos and a single internet card ($5 for 8 minutes), which I guess is not that unreasonable since we did have two sessions with a photographer at the beach taking family shots.

My younger son did not want to go to the sesame camp, and we did not force him to go. They were so happy being at the pool and the beach (which actually feels like a pool) that it did not matter much. They both took long naps during the day, partly because of all the activity, but also because it was very hot when the sun was out (which is most of the time). Warning: BRING TONS OF SUN BLOCK! Out of curiousity, we looked @ the shop and a single bottle of SPF 50 was $20.

Overall, I would rate the food a 7.5 or 8 out of 10. We are pretty "gourmet" eaters in general. My kids never eat from the childs menu @ home - they always share an adult entree. Obviously, there they just got their own, which was good because we each got something different and could switch it around if they did not like something. At the a la carte restaurants we got lots of fish and steaks; the steaks were consistantly very good to excelled. The fish was always either good or very good. Chicken, well, its tough to have excellent chicken unless you are really good. We did not eat at the "adult only" restaurants because the kids wanted to have dinner with us every night, but the menus looked very good. We ate once at Kimonos which was good and entertaining.

WARNING: If you want a la carte service, beware of the overall SLOW service. Don't expect speed. Several times we had to call the host for the waiter to realize we were seated. I often got a drink before sitting down at the bar.

The bars are pretty good, and fast, and they will fill you with cheap-liquor drinks if you want, but they also serve better alcohol everywhere (e.g. Johnny Walker Black, Absolut, etc.).

Activities were great. I went diving 3 times (included) and it was nice. They have better dive trips for $80 bucks, but I did not go since they go for a large part of the day and I did not want to leave the family for that long. I would take a course before going there though, because otherwise you will waste half a day or so taking the course and its not as good at dedicated course at home. They have all the activities they list and I never had to wait much for anything. The gym is very nice and up to date. My wife did not use the spa (prices are equal or more expansive than at home anyway).

We will definately go back, but no immediately. The camp for older kids looked really nice, and every time we saw the group out and about the kids were having a great time with each other. I think this would be perfect if you have 6 year old children and older, as you will be able to have some alone time also.

4  Thank NyFamily_traveller
Reviewed 19 June 2009

I just returned from Beaches Resort in Turks and Caicos and it was AMAZING! I went with my husband and our 2 year old son (he turned 2 in April) and we had a blast! We stayed for 6 nights and it was not long enough! Everything there was fantastic! We were back and forth for months on whether or not we should spend the money and after going there we were so pleased - it was worth every penny!
The trip didn’t start out so well – we flew American Airlines (direct flight from NY to Turks) and somehow the airline lost my suitcase with all my clothes and all our toiletries and sun block. Our flight got in at 10am in the morning and I did not get my suitcase until 2pm the next day! I was furious and American Airlines did nothing to help. My advice – make sure you pack a bathing suit and at least one pair of clothes in a carry-on bag (unlike me). We requested the French Village Luxury Walkout room with king bed and trundle and when we arrived they put us in a room with double beds instead of a king bed (Room#1111). If you get there and they put you in Room#1111 ask for another one! When I called the front desk they said a king bed would be opening up the next day so they could move us then. So we stayed in the room and all day/night the phone rang …… it was people calling the front desk and for some reason the calls were directed to our room. We ended up taking our phone off the hook after about 25 calls. The next day I called the front desk to complain about the phone and ask about our room change AND my luggage and they said that there were no king beds available and that my luggage that was supposed to arrive at 8pm never arrived. I was so pissed that I ended up having to call my travel agent and they contacted Beaches and got me the room I originally asked for and it was great (Room#1148). Make sure you book through a travel agent – it’s worth it if something goes wrong. Once we got the new room and my suitcase finally arrived, everything after that was awesome!
If you stay in the French Village I would suggest staying on the ground level so you have a small patio with a table and 2 chairs. The 2nd and 3rd floor rooms do not have balconies that you can sit on. The French Village pool was great especially for my son! Barely anyone was there because everyone seemed to flock to the Italian pool. Both pools were beautiful! We did not spend much time in the Caribbean Pool but I heard that one was lots of fun – that’s where they have all the activities. We never had a problem finding a chaise lounge, even in the water park! The water park …. so awesome!! The Lazy River and slides were great!!
The pictures of this resort don’t do it justice – there is so much to do and so many places to go – they have 16 restaurants and the BEST brick oven pizza! The food for an all-inclusive I thought was great - I have been to many other all-inclusives and this one I think had the best food! The beach is beautiful although I got stung by something in the water (not sure what) – I just have really bad luck!
If you don’t have the money to stay in the Italian Village don’t worry - trust me the French Village is great. You will barely be in your rooms, only to shower/change/sleep! They have satellite TV so you get so many channels (including all the core channels, Disney, Noggin, Lifetime, ESPN, etc) and some movie channels. They do not have movies you can order in the room. They have internet in the rooms – I brought my laptop for work and had no problems connecting – it cost $40 for the entire week (unlimited) – I also brought my logitech camera and downloaded Skype onto my laptop and connected with my family the entire week via Skype. Even if you do not have a camera you can still talk on Skype (for free) from computer to computer. You can save money and talk to anyone as long as you’d like!
We met friends that were in the Caribbean Village and they LOVED it! The Italian and Caribbean Villages are right by the beach, the French Village is right by the water park. We are “pool people” so not being so close to the beach wasn’t an issue for us.
We WILL be returning to Beaches in the future (hopefully next year)!! If you have any questions please feel free to email me ;)

2  Thank pjp416
Reviewed 19 June 2009

Our family of 19 visited Beaches in April. We stayed in the new Italian Villa (most of us) and it was beautiful. When we arrived they said they upgraded us to a better family suite--but it didn;t seem like an upgrade for us. They moved us to the room we had asked for originally. The family suite comes with butler service. Not being a family used to having a butler we were a bit uneasy, but, Lisa and Hilario, our butlers made the trip so much better for us. They literally did everything from preapre cabanas at the beach and pool each ay, make reservations at restaurants and take us there, have food and drinks all the time and most importantly looked out for everyone in our group. Not an easy task. If you can pick your butler, pick Lisa!!!!!

We had kids ranging in age from 9-30 and they were enterained 24/7. The beach, the pool, the water park...it never ends.

This was one of the most amazing and relaxing vacations we have ever had--and we have taken some amazing trips.

The restaurants varied in quality. We liked the one right on the beach for breakfast. the only one I really didn't like was the japanese steakhouse. the little French bakery had great treats and coffee.

We will defeinitely go back there!

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled with family