“Magical island paradise”

Ranked #17 of 44 Hotels in Providenciales
New York
“Magical island paradise”
Reviewed 14 May 2013

I just had an extraordinary three-day weekend at the Amanyara Resort. I was met at customs by a representative from the hotel and whisked straight through to the car. I stayed in a Pool Pavilion with my own pool and personal butler the first night, which was unbelievable. As if it could get better, the staff graciously upgraded me and my girlfriend to an ocean view villa for our remaining time there which was spectacular. Isabella, our villa host was a delight, as was Andi, our villa chef, who cooked a delicious meal for us as we sat looking out at the stunning water. Our second villa host, Apri, treated us to specially mixed drinks and waited on our every need. I also can't leave out Jumadil, our other incredible chef. All of the food from start to finish was exceptional.

We also had the pleasure of visiting the incredible spa and enjoyed one of the best therapist I have ever encountered in Bhalia.

Overall, the luxurious beds, extraordinary food and staff made our little three-day vacation a once in a lifetime trip. Thanks to the GM Marco and his incredible staff for an unforgettable experience.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Christopher B

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
Rome, Italy
Reviewed 27 April 2013

Amanyara is an otherworldly experience, a dream-like location to which you can only hope to return one day in this life. We had an truly amazing time and there were none of the problems I've seen others report here. Service was amazing from the pick-up at the airport to our final farewell. The beach is truly one of the best on the planet. The food would be classified top-notch but pales in comparison to the rest of the experience.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank BeenThereD0neThatNYC
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed 21 April 2013

Location: This place is honestly NOT difficult to find. If you look at the regular Provi tourist map, it is literally the only thing on the NW corner of the island, so you just follow Leeward hwy until you get to the traffic circle that will let you onto Millenium hwy, then there is NOTHING ELSE you will run into, until you get to Amanyara. On the map, there is a fork near the resort, one way leading to Malcolm Beach, the other to Amanyara. Like others have mentioned, there are no signs leading you to Amanyara, but if you just watch for the Malcolm Beach sign, that means you just take the OPPOSITE way. 40 minutes give or take from Grace Bay area. Absolutely rent a car if you are going to head here.

Ambience: Yes it is beautiful. Huge doors, mirrors, pillars. Minimalist but gigantic everything. You can watch the sunset and hear the ocean.

Service: Very good service, attentive, informative, polite, reasonably paced. Non stop bread-which I find odd for such an upscale restaurant, but hey why not.

Cost: Let's not kid ourselves, this place is pricey, but you would know that going in. Wines start at $30/glass and just go up from there. Cocktails $19+. Entrees start at $40, for vegetarian or not. Desserts $17+. Coffee $6. Appies $17+.

Food: I'd the vegetable green curry, it was THE BEST green curry I have ever had. It was almost like a curry bisque, just very creamy and delicious. Boyfriend had the grouper and he said it was good but probably not worth the cost he paid. Maybe the asian cuisine is the way to go? We also had the mango/cucumber maki, which was pretty standard fare, the best part was the fresh wasabi, and wasabi/mayo? paste along with it. For dessert we had the "almond rocks", which was house made almond ice cream covered in almonds, which was delicious, and I don't even like almonds.

Cons: Not sure if this is a true con, but maybe just observations. When you arrive at the resort, they do give you hand sanitizer and ask you use it, then when you park there is the area for the "rovers" and the "guests" which is just funny (are the guests of the resort, only allowed to drive rovers then?). They do say no cameras, which is fine. But when we were in there, we saw a woman using her samsung galaxy to take all sorts of photos, so we felt that was kind of unfair (was this a rule only to outsiders of the resort?). Overall, we got a BIT of a feeling of the need to distinguish the resort guests from the outsiders.. The service was still top notch, but just small things like this, were kind of odd.

Overall: If you have a car and $ to burn, then come check out Amanyara. I feel that overall there were cheaper, closer (to Grace Bay) and on par/slightly better places that weren't as isolated or expensive.

6 Thank edtu
San Jose, Costa Rica
Reviewed 20 April 2013

Stayed here as a birthday gift from my boyfriend and I can say is was one of the best experiences of my life. Simply perfect: the place, the staff, the experience, the food, the room, everything. Stayed in one of the rooms with private beach - amazing!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
New York
Reviewed 19 April 2013

My personal definition for luxury is "choice." For every individual, luxury is relative to their own financial and personal situation, otherwise Mazda could not market a "luxury" car. So, when I go to a hotel, given that I have the ability to choose among the world's best hotels as destinations, I evaluate that property by the choices presented to me.

Amanyara aspires to be an ultra-luxury property, as befits the entire chain. The prices are certainly at the absolute pinnacle of the Caribbean market, and that is saying a lot. $2,100-2,400 a night for a "pavillion" is serious pricing. What we discovered is that the physical accommodations - the rooms themselves -- are virtually identical. Aside from a handfull of multi-bedroom villas, these are all single-rooms with open-plan bathrooms behind a see-through partition behind the bed. In terms of fittings and decor, Aman quality is legendary, and justly so. The only fault is thematic - if you want privacy while washing up, it is not to be. The toilet door closes, as does the shower, but if you get up in the middle of the night to use it, there is no aural isolation, so your partner will hear whatever you are up to, from brushing your teeth or finding a Benadryl to fight off the itch from the plentiful mosquitoes. Light sleepers haven't a chance.

So, for me, this was a big negative. At this price point, I expect a separate sitting room (a "suite".) At Amanyara, if I want to watch TV or read a book while my wife sleeps, I don't have that choice. If I want to run a bath while she naps, I don't have that choice. Small sacrifices, but an issue nonetheless. There was no one-bedroom suite to book, so we took our chances with the pavilions. We knew it going in, but I didn't realize just how open it all was until I saw it. Not entirely their fault, but a real limitation nonetheless.

The next issue was what would our outdoor space and view be like? We wanted a private pool and a view of the water. That does not exist. If you opt for ocean view, your deck will be tiny, TINY and you will not have access to the beach -- you will walk out on rocks pitched over and into the breakers. The views from most are hardly panoramic - they are limited by vegetation and setback. If you want to swim, you'll need to call for a cart to take you to the pool or beach -- and most are a good distance away. Their are pond-view rooms, again with tiny decks, but these have no privacy, and the pond is not swimmable. Call for a cart. We finally opted for a pool pavilion. These have big private pools, lined in sexy black granite, and easily reach 90 degrees plus during the day - comfy but not exactly refreshing. The yards are just that, enclosed, almost claustrophobic yards enclosed by walls and plantings that give you full privacy and absolutely no view at all. You could be anywhere, and there is no hint that the Caribbean Sea is nearby, or even in the same hemisphere. Our pavilion was the closest to the main house, pool and beach, so we could walk down the long private path to the driveway and our destination in a minute or three. Most are not comfortable walking distance , particularly if you are carrying beach stuff. So, everything was a compromise. But, if you want an elegant, isolated and private room, and are willing to overlook the shortcomings, many if not most will fill your bill.

The food at Amanyara is sophisticated and very good, but the menu is surprisingly limited. Two steak choices, but no chicken at all. The prices were stunning - way beyond all but the top three Michelin star restaurants in NYC. Two tiny rib lamb chops $63. A lovely piece of halibut about the same. Appetizers $30. A $30 US Chardonnay is $130 a bottle. Dinner for two is a $350-400 experience with wine and dessert. After three days the menu was exhausted, in part because neither of us tolerates pepper heat, which permeates the entire Thai section of the menu, and many of the international choices as well. To eat off property is not an option - the distances are too great.

The main house pool and the beach are both stunning. The beach falls off rapidly to deep water, and is great for swimming. Service is excellent.

For the first time as an adult traveler, I noted the service charges, and did not tip anyone except the guy who carried our bags. Even as jaded as I am to high prices, I felt the pricing here to be so extreme that the resort should be able to fully compensate their staff. I am a legendary over-tipper too.

We went to competing property Parrot Cay last year. There, at similar pricing, we got a full one-bedroom, private pool villa with a direct walkout onto a sterling beach. The food was great, and choices limitless. They upgraded us to a huge two-bedroom simply because it was available and they thought we'd like it. I had a huge steak and watched the AFC Championship game on a huge TV. I had every possible choice, and it was actually nicer than being in one of our homes. At the Aman, I felt my lifestyle had to conform to the limits of the property.

I do not mean to imply that Amanyara is not a lovely property. The service is in the top 1%. But, ultimately, for me, it is not a luxury property, because I simply could not get what I wanted. And so, I will not be returning.

Room Tip: You have to be very specific in what you want and understand that many ocean view rooms have tiny de...
28 Thank MikeONYC
Sao Paulo, SP
Reviewed 15 April 2013

Wonderful resort.
Excellent Staff.
Magnificient architecture.
All rooms are kind of isolated and have a peacefull, astonishing view, either to a pond, or to a swimming pool and sea.
Nice menu, excellent food.
Good beach service.

Room Tip: All rooms are similar and very good indeed.
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 13 April 2013

Staying at the Amanyara can only be compared to places on the other side of the world. The beauty and service is similar to privacy-oriented resorts on the Barrier Reef or South Pacific. The difference is that it took a few hours and we skipped the jet lag. If you are looking for busy active nightlife, this is not the place. If you want amazing, helpful, perfect service and beautiful bungalows, this is the place.

Another note: This is a very expensive resort but you get what you pay for. You never wait for a table, you always can find the perfect chair or day-bed by the pool or beach, and this really eliminates that any stress at all.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Letsgo93
Also consider these accommodations in or near Providenciales
The Palms, Turks and Caicos
Grace Bay Club
#7 of 44 in Providenciales
COMO Parrot Cay, Turks and Caicos
Beaches Turks & Caicos Resort Villages & Spa

Been to Amanyara? Share your experiences!