“Windsong is just as good as it all appears on the web site.” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Windsong Resort

Windsong Resort
Ranked #9 of 45 Hotels in Providenciales
Madison, Connecticut
“Windsong is just as good as it all appears on the web site.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 March 2012

It is rare for a resort to actually match all the features that appear on its web site, but Windsong actually does. This place is beautifully situated, immaculately landscaped and maintained, and comfortable throughout.

What struck my female companion and I the most was the friendliness of the staff, who to a person were warm and welcoming. They actually reached out to be helpful, many times not even needing to be asked. We got on a first name basis with many of them.

The beach is magnificent -- ample beach chairs. I have traveled all over the Carib and I have never found a place with such a prolific and complete coral reef right of the beach. Entirely child/family friendly --- a great place for learners new to snorkeling.

Excellent quality of food and meal service couldn't have been better. Very attentive staff.

Room Tip: You get what you pay for. The less expensive rooms have no view, but that is right around the corne...
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (497)
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 March 2012

Just got back from a week at Windsong and it was as wonderful as what (most) reviews here have said. We had a big, cozy suite with an amazing balcony facing the ocean. The floor-to-ceiling doors slide open on two sides, so even when inside you can enjoy the beautiful warm weather and sound of the waves. It's a small, intimate resort - the staff are very friendly and helpful.
We had breakfast at Jojo's every morning - it's perfectly adequate (yogurt, granola, fruit, english muffin, bagel, toast...pastry was my favourite!) and add-ons are reasonable. We went grocery shopping at the IGA ($10 / 2 people each way, 5-7 minutes away) and made lunches in the suite - eating on the balcony as the kids napped. Groceries are pricey, but they have a surprisingly decent selection of things (eg. Chinese cabbage & organic chicken nuggets). We ended up ordering supper most nights as we have two small children (16 months and 3.5 years old) and found eating in easier. The food selection and quality was surprisingly great - sushi, thai, italian. If the restaurant didn't deliver, we sent a taxi to go pick it up.
The pool is nice - almost no one was using it while we were there, so we had it all to ourselves the few times the kids wanted to go in. We spent most of our time, however, at the beach, which is wonderful. Beautiful sand, clear water - every spot is good. It's safe to leave things, not super busy and no one bothers you (selling stuff, etc.) Since we're up early, we managed to get one of the three canopies every day for the kids. The snorkelling is excellent.

Suggestion one: we rented a jeep one day (about $130) and drove around the island - it was well worth it. Check out Sapodilla Bay on the south side (about 15 minutes from the hotel) - a gorgeous, quiet beach that is perfect if you have small kids as it's shallow and clear. "Mark the Jet Ski guy" who hangs out there convinced us to try La Brisas (2 minutes away) rather than the Conch Shack which he swears is "a tourist trap." While hesitant, we checked it out and it was wonderful. The food was very good and the view was excellent.

Suggestion two: Coco Bistro for supper. Good food, friendly service, great atmosphere. Be warned: portions are huge.

Have fun!

2 Thank jsk28
Bellmore, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 March 2012

Stayed in the 2 bedroom penthouse suite for 6 nights in the end of February. We chose the Windsong because of the beach. Grace Bay is one of the most beautiful beaches in the world, and this portion in front of the reef is just beyond words. We traveled with my family who also had a beautiful, two bedroom ocean front and a one bedroom ocean front. Our penthouse was beautiful, new, clean, and huge. It was costly, but worth it. The past two trips we stayed at Beaches, which we loved, but for a third of the price, we had a place literally 10 times the size. It was almost too big, and next time I might just go with the beautiful 2 bedroom suite that my sister had. The resort is small, and relaxing. The staff was wonderful. Especially Yadley, our host. She booked our reservations, our boat trips, and even went food shopping for us before we arrived. Having a fully stocked kitchen was a wonderful bonus. This level of personal service you will never get at a huge resort.
The beach and pool were never crowded, and chairs were always waiting for us. The restaurant on the property was excellent. They now have dinner, and it was amazing! The last night they set up tables on the dunes for the 10 of us and it was a meal I will never forget!
Oh, and did I mention the beach??? I could write pages on it. It is an underwater national park. I have snorkled and dove all over the world, and this reef is in the top 3 I have ever experienced. It changes every day, and we spent hours exploring it. Even my 7 year old was able to do the whole loop, and it is an adventure he will always remember.
We did charter a boat for a half day, and this was wonderful too, especially with children. Our kids ranged from 3 to 10 and each had a wonderful time, and came home with conch shells and sand dollars. The Windsong arranged the whole trip.
There are a few minor things I would change, but none are big enough to change my overall rating-they are: 1- Because all of the rooms have "lock out" rooms (the 4 bedroom penthouse can be booked as a 1,2, or 3 bedroom and have seperate entrance halls) you had to go through 3 doors/halls to our room, and there is no doorbell or phone outside of first door. You can not hear people when they come to the outter door at all. If you forget your key, or are traveling with others this can be a problem. 2- There is no inside lock on the door. I felt safe, but the apartment was so big that housekeeping would be in the unit, and I would not know it. There was no way of locking anyone out who had a key. 3- No blackout shades. It was like sleeping on the face of the sun. My unit was still for sale and I don't know if owners change things in each unit, but if you are in 143, bring sleep shades!
Overall this was a wonderful trip and a wonderful place. I will be going back to the Windsong, and I hope I don't have to wait too long!!!

Room Tip: When facing the ocean, rooms on the outter left side have a much better view! West facing rooms are...
1 Thank stacy81598
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 March 2012

Full disclosure: I won a trip to this hotel - I'm not sure I could have afforded it otherwise!

We stayed in a two bedroom junior ocean front suite and it was amazing. It was over twice the size of my apartment, immaculate, and had beautiful furniture and a beautiful views. The property is on a gorgeous stretch of beach so I definitely recommend having a balcony. That way if you get a little sunburned and need to spend some time in the shade you can do so while still enjoying the view.

I also appreciated that the rooms were very sound-proof. There was often music playing by the pool, but when we shut the balcony door we couldn't hear a thing, and we never heard people in adjoining rooms.

The kitchen had all the supplies you could need to cook your own meals. We borrowed the hotel's bikes to go to the grocery store so we could buy some supplies to make our own lunch and snacks. The grocery store is pretty pricey so take your credit card and ID!

The hotel's cafe was fine. Breakfast was more than adequate and we ate dinner on the dunes one night which was very romantic. We also went to Somewhere next door which was more of a party place and had a very good happy hour.

The staff at the Windsong was great. Charles brought us complementary bottled water on the beach every day and made sure other hotel guests didn't take our chairs. There was another woman there who gave us flags we could put up in the sand to get the attention of someone if we needed anything.

I also appreciate that the staff were ready with suggestions, but didn't push anything on us. I have been to other places where people are always pestering you to buy things, go on tours, etc, but here it wasn't an issue, maybe because this area isn't very built up yet.

Overall, this was one of the best vacations I've ever been on and I hope to return to the Windsong someday.

Room Tip: A balcony is probably worth the splurge.
2 Thank kjb3h
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 March 2012

Stayed here for 5 nights, vacation with my wife. 1st time to T & C...

Location:
right on Grace Bay beach, but our portion of the beach was slightly rougher and steeper than the adjacent shorelines. As a plus, some of the best snorkeling on Grace Bay is at the resort. Resort is about a 30 min walk/10 min bike ride/5 min cab ride ($5 per person each way) to the main shopping/dining area (Salt Mill village, Regents walk). There are other resorts which are much closer, but these are pricier and more upscale.

Rooms:
overall, a good value for money ($300 per night for the smallest room with a courtyard view vs. $550 at the higher end hotels). Clean, modern rooms (built in 2008). Recommend oean view for 1-2 days simply for the excellent beach views. Note, this hotel like all others on the island, are condo-hotels - meaning, there are suites (kitchens, family rooms, 1-3 bedrooms) which are subdivided to various sized smaller rooms and rented out as hotel rooms by owners (managed by the hotel).

Restaurant:
dont bother eating here. only 1 restaurant, with lousy food. Particularly because there are many excellent restaurants on the island (but you have to travel to get to them, see above and below). breakfast is a great value: free with your room and portions are good. you can add eggs/waffles/pancakes for $3 (again, good value).

Pool:
nothing great, other resorts have much nicer pools (but are also much more expensive).

Staff:
all very friendly and curteous, but overall, the place lacks professionalism:
-$0.02 charge for "free" breakfast (?!)
-our door lock wouldnt open, we and others in our suite area were kept waiting outside for 30 mins. manager didnt offer us comps, apologies, etc...
-we could tell the staff werent trained in hospitality but were friendly and conversational.

General:
-free bikes to rent from hotel (none in kid size)
-free internet (laptops with connections), no wi fi
-TV reception is very poor (dish satellite to pick up analog cable from Miami)
-no real concierge. whoever is at the front desk is quasi helpful
-free dvd rental from the lobby

TIPS:
-either rent a car, scooter ($35+ per day) or you will feel too far from the action
-dont eat at the Windsong restaurant (Jo-jo's cafe) - except for the free breakfast
-book an ocean view for part of the stay (bigger rooms, but much more expensive)

General Turks and Caicos info:
-this place is heaven on earth, white sand beaches, clear blue waters, only 3.5 hrs from the northeast
-very relaxed, low key island, no loud reggae music or drunk parties
-excellent restaurants: Coco Bistro (continental), Lemon Cafe (middle eastern), Bella Luna (italian)
-1 indian restaurant: garam masala: average quality
-avoid Amanyara resort (way, way overpriced, extremely stuffy and pretentious, very difficult to get to)

Room Tip: Dont waste $$ by getting an ocean view for the entire stay.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
7 Thank P-Fogg-1873
Fargo, North Dakota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 March 2012

This unpretentious, five person midwestern family on its first trip to TCI chose Windsong for one reason. Reef proximity. Most (all?) of the resorts along Grace Bay have gorgeous beaches and spectacular views, but if you like to snorkel and don't want to be dependent on a tour operator to get you to a reef, Windsong is perfect. Ski-in, ski-out, for snorkelers, my wife called it. Not only does a healthy reef, teeming with sea life, begin a few kicks from shore, you have sandy beach access (easy for entering and exiting), a fresh water shower and foot rinse, and hot tub waiting. We saw parrot fish, angel fish, butterfly fish, trumpet fish, yellow tailed snapper, barracuda, stingray, turtles and (unfortunately) a couple of beautiful lion fish. As an aside, the day we went to Smith Reef, the wind was brisk and onshore and not as spectacular as the Coral Garden Reef at Windsong. Though my wife did see an 8 foot spotted eagle ray at Smith which she thought was the most magnificent creature she has ever seen snorkeling.

We stayed in a 2BR Oceanfront Suite and it was simply lovely. The views were wonderful from the balcony. Three sequential sliding glass doors collapse all the way back into the wall along two sides providing a wonderful open air experience into the living area. The kitchen is fully functional-- microwave, dishwasher, refrigerator/freezer, coffeemaker, range-- and while a plethora of great restaurants are available in the area, we prepared lunch each day and a couple of great dinners in our own kitchen. The beds were pillowtop and very comfortable. The bathrooms and showers (we had three) were spacious, and the whole place was impeccably clean and new, sporting British Colonial decor.

Although the accommodations exceeded our expectations, the staff made the stay. With apologies for not mentioning everyone, Ian and Tika at the front desk, Charles on the beach, Jerome and RJ at JoJo's, and more, were friendly, attentive, and didn't mind my asking about water resources, geography, and history of the island. Ian even arranged to have a couple of conch shells cleaned up for me so my luggage wouldn't smell like dead fish. The staff are simply wonderful.

A couple of extras that turned out to be pleasant surprises at Windsong included a lovely complimentary "continental breakfast" (cereal, bagels, english muffins, fresh fruits, yogurt, juices and coffee, with the option of adding on heavier, non-complimentary items like pancakes and french toast and bacon) and free use of bikes, kayaks, and a great little rigid Hobie catamaran for those of you who like to sail. These watercraft are supplied through an arrangement with Sail Provo, which keeps an attendant and room stocked with rental life jackets and snorkeling gear on site, for those of you who don't bring your own. I had four lovely sails with my wife and kids out across Grace Bay. Just lovely.

In short, whether you're looking for an exquisite beach with spectacular views as a respite from winter, or want to fill up your time with great snorkeling, sailing, kayaking, biking, exploring, Windsong will not disappoint. There are many resort choices on Grace Bay. I can't imagine we'll stay anywhere but Windsong on our next trip back to Provo.

Room Tip: 2BR Oceanfront Suite, bldg 2, second floor was lovely. Never heard another sound from another room a...
3 Thank Kurt K
Brooklyn, New York, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 March 2012

Snorkeling is alot of fun in front of the hotel. The rooms were very clean and the people who worked there were great. The general manager even drove me and my boyfriend personally to a restaurant one night so we wouldn't have to wait for a taxi. The people of Turks and Caicos are all very pleasant. I would definitely recommend the boat to iguana island and snorkeling. Not much of a night life but some great restaurants around including coco bistro and anacayona. The beaches at Turks and Caicos are very clean and one of the best in all of the Caribbean. I would definitely stay here again. The gansevoort is very overrated and this hotel was perfect. Trendy boutique style and very clean!

1 Thank Stacy T