“Very nice, good value” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #8 of 45 Hotels in Providenciales
Chicago
“Very nice, good value”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 March 2012

The Windsong is newer condo-hotel, rooms are clean and spacious, and we found our room to be a great value for the money. It feels more like a condo than a hotel, but the employees were all great and very friendly, and there is fabulous snorkeling directly outside the hotel's beach, truly awesome. We stayed at the Windsong for 3 nights and then stayed at the Regent Palms ($$$$) for 4 nights, but would probably go back to the Windsong for the value.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank JesseOTravel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (497)
Saratoga Springs, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 March 2012

This was our fourth time to the caribbean, but the first to Turks & Caicos. This hotel was the perfect size for us...not too large like some of the nearby hotels (Beaches is HUGE), but large enough to have good service and facilities. The staff was friendly and did their best to provide good service. They get to know your names (and we reciprocated with Charles, Judine, Ian, Yadley and others--thanks guys!). They are so laid back that sometimes I wondered if they were following through with questions and requests, but they did every time.

We had one of the smaller rooms (island view studio), which was basically a decent size hotel room with a very small kitchenette. That's all we could afford, as the larger rooms/suites are very expensive. However, with everyday being sunny, breezy and 81 degrees F, there is very little need to be in the room while awake. We did get a chance to peek into our companion accommodation next door (we shared an outer entrance door), which was a large ocean front one bedroom suite with 2 baths, a kitchen/dining area, living room with pullout couch and a large balcony facing two directions. It did make us feel a bit like the poor neighbors, but hey, we're not as wealthy as most of the other visitors we met at the hotel or on the island. We just feel fortunate enough that we could afford a week at all!

And our room was SPOTLESS and attended to each day. Actually, we didn't need new sheets and towels each day, but we got them. Actually, that eliminated the potential problem of sandy sheet build-up! All in all, the room was perfect! Quiet, and clean. I didn't sleep too well however. The bed was comfortable but a bit creaky...

We went out to dine most of the evenings, but for the other meals, JoJo's was perfect. Not the biggest menu or the best meals that we had, but comparatively reasonable priced and good food. LOVE their jerk chicken. Beer a bit expensive ($6.50 a bottle). Continental breakfast that was included got us off to a healthy start each day, and we occasionally supplemented it with add-ons (eggs, bacon, etc.). Not as good as the breakfast buffet at a hotel we stayed at in St. Lucia, but that was five years ago and $26 a pop!

Our weather was pleasantly boring. 81 degrees F each day with mostly sunny skies. We did get a few sprinkles of rain the first two days, but it didn't last long. The beaches on this island, including the one right in front of the hotel, are everything they are promised to be. The sand is white, fine; the water is warm enough but refreshing; clear and not too rough.

The beach is absolutely lovely. You'll love it.

Excellent wi-fi connection, except for the beach (thankfully!)

We rented a car for one day and that was enough. The beaches on the island are excellent, and so are the restaurants, but there really isn't that much else on the island to visit. And the roads, once you leave the tourist area and main highway, are terrible. Very little in the way of a downtown, few historic sites, one golf course, no mountains, only high end tourist shopping, etc. If you are coming to Providenciales for the beach, relaxation, good food, snorkeling--you've come to the right place. If you want more, look for another island. In other words, we had a GREAT week here, but wouldn't want to spend two months in retirement here.

Just a few nit-picks:

The tipping situation is confusing. All food tabs come with a 10% gratuity added. I asked about this and they said it was a general tip for all the staff in the place. Wasn't so sure how to tip the waitstaff after that.

Limited tea selection (no green or decaffeinated black teas)

No Ginger Beer! How can you be a hotel in the caribbean and NOT have ginger beer

Kayaks and Hobie cat are complimentary, but you have to pay per day for snorkeling gear. I can see a deposit but a $10/day charge seems ridiculous.

Water should be readily available and not $3 for a small bottle. The tap water is not too tasty and you need to drink a lot to avoid dehydration in the warm, dry environment.

Shade: Very little shade (no palm trees on our beach). The umbrellas are small. The "huts" they have are nice, but they need to make them more available or provide more of them. We found that some people "claimed" them early in the day with some of their stuff, and then were gone for most of the day. There should be some way to evict people if they aren't using them for an extended period of time. However, the beach is NOT crowded so it's a pleasant stretch of sand in general.

I wish there was another, shaded, common area toward the beach for hanging out in the evening.

Even with the yellow flags for service on the beach, sometimes the staff noticed, but sometimes not. I guess we were spoiled by the red flags at another resort we've been to. There it was flag up, waiter within one minute...

No ice buckets or ice machine. Why not?

I understand the larger suites have refrigerators with filtered fresh water dispensers. Our small suite had a smaller refrigerator without that, and the tap water isn't very tasty.

Room Tip: Just pick the best room you can afford, but if you can't afford more than the minimum, you'l...
2 Thank IOG
Madison, Connecticut
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 March 2012

It is rare for a resort to actually match all the features that appear on its web site, but Windsong actually does. This place is beautifully situated, immaculately landscaped and maintained, and comfortable throughout.

What struck my female companion and I the most was the friendliness of the staff, who to a person were warm and welcoming. They actually reached out to be helpful, many times not even needing to be asked. We got on a first name basis with many of them.

The beach is magnificent -- ample beach chairs. I have traveled all over the Carib and I have never found a place with such a prolific and complete coral reef right of the beach. Entirely child/family friendly --- a great place for learners new to snorkeling.

Excellent quality of food and meal service couldn't have been better. Very attentive staff.

Room Tip: You get what you pay for. The less expensive rooms have no view, but that is right around the corne...
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 March 2012

Just got back from a week at Windsong and it was as wonderful as what (most) reviews here have said. We had a big, cozy suite with an amazing balcony facing the ocean. The floor-to-ceiling doors slide open on two sides, so even when inside you can enjoy the beautiful warm weather and sound of the waves. It's a small, intimate resort - the staff are very friendly and helpful.
We had breakfast at Jojo's every morning - it's perfectly adequate (yogurt, granola, fruit, english muffin, bagel, toast...pastry was my favourite!) and add-ons are reasonable. We went grocery shopping at the IGA ($10 / 2 people each way, 5-7 minutes away) and made lunches in the suite - eating on the balcony as the kids napped. Groceries are pricey, but they have a surprisingly decent selection of things (eg. Chinese cabbage & organic chicken nuggets). We ended up ordering supper most nights as we have two small children (16 months and 3.5 years old) and found eating in easier. The food selection and quality was surprisingly great - sushi, thai, italian. If the restaurant didn't deliver, we sent a taxi to go pick it up.
The pool is nice - almost no one was using it while we were there, so we had it all to ourselves the few times the kids wanted to go in. We spent most of our time, however, at the beach, which is wonderful. Beautiful sand, clear water - every spot is good. It's safe to leave things, not super busy and no one bothers you (selling stuff, etc.) Since we're up early, we managed to get one of the three canopies every day for the kids. The snorkelling is excellent.

Suggestion one: we rented a jeep one day (about $130) and drove around the island - it was well worth it. Check out Sapodilla Bay on the south side (about 15 minutes from the hotel) - a gorgeous, quiet beach that is perfect if you have small kids as it's shallow and clear. "Mark the Jet Ski guy" who hangs out there convinced us to try La Brisas (2 minutes away) rather than the Conch Shack which he swears is "a tourist trap." While hesitant, we checked it out and it was wonderful. The food was very good and the view was excellent.

Suggestion two: Coco Bistro for supper. Good food, friendly service, great atmosphere. Be warned: portions are huge.

Have fun!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank jsk28
Bellmore, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 March 2012

Stayed in the 2 bedroom penthouse suite for 6 nights in the end of February. We chose the Windsong because of the beach. Grace Bay is one of the most beautiful beaches in the world, and this portion in front of the reef is just beyond words. We traveled with my family who also had a beautiful, two bedroom ocean front and a one bedroom ocean front. Our penthouse was beautiful, new, clean, and huge. It was costly, but worth it. The past two trips we stayed at Beaches, which we loved, but for a third of the price, we had a place literally 10 times the size. It was almost too big, and next time I might just go with the beautiful 2 bedroom suite that my sister had. The resort is small, and relaxing. The staff was wonderful. Especially Yadley, our host. She booked our reservations, our boat trips, and even went food shopping for us before we arrived. Having a fully stocked kitchen was a wonderful bonus. This level of personal service you will never get at a huge resort.
The beach and pool were never crowded, and chairs were always waiting for us. The restaurant on the property was excellent. They now have dinner, and it was amazing! The last night they set up tables on the dunes for the 10 of us and it was a meal I will never forget!
Oh, and did I mention the beach??? I could write pages on it. It is an underwater national park. I have snorkled and dove all over the world, and this reef is in the top 3 I have ever experienced. It changes every day, and we spent hours exploring it. Even my 7 year old was able to do the whole loop, and it is an adventure he will always remember.
We did charter a boat for a half day, and this was wonderful too, especially with children. Our kids ranged from 3 to 10 and each had a wonderful time, and came home with conch shells and sand dollars. The Windsong arranged the whole trip.
There are a few minor things I would change, but none are big enough to change my overall rating-they are: 1- Because all of the rooms have "lock out" rooms (the 4 bedroom penthouse can be booked as a 1,2, or 3 bedroom and have seperate entrance halls) you had to go through 3 doors/halls to our room, and there is no doorbell or phone outside of first door. You can not hear people when they come to the outter door at all. If you forget your key, or are traveling with others this can be a problem. 2- There is no inside lock on the door. I felt safe, but the apartment was so big that housekeeping would be in the unit, and I would not know it. There was no way of locking anyone out who had a key. 3- No blackout shades. It was like sleeping on the face of the sun. My unit was still for sale and I don't know if owners change things in each unit, but if you are in 143, bring sleep shades!
Overall this was a wonderful trip and a wonderful place. I will be going back to the Windsong, and I hope I don't have to wait too long!!!

Room Tip: When facing the ocean, rooms on the outter left side have a much better view! West facing rooms are...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank stacy81598
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 March 2012

Full disclosure: I won a trip to this hotel - I'm not sure I could have afforded it otherwise!

We stayed in a two bedroom junior ocean front suite and it was amazing. It was over twice the size of my apartment, immaculate, and had beautiful furniture and a beautiful views. The property is on a gorgeous stretch of beach so I definitely recommend having a balcony. That way if you get a little sunburned and need to spend some time in the shade you can do so while still enjoying the view.

I also appreciated that the rooms were very sound-proof. There was often music playing by the pool, but when we shut the balcony door we couldn't hear a thing, and we never heard people in adjoining rooms.

The kitchen had all the supplies you could need to cook your own meals. We borrowed the hotel's bikes to go to the grocery store so we could buy some supplies to make our own lunch and snacks. The grocery store is pretty pricey so take your credit card and ID!

The hotel's cafe was fine. Breakfast was more than adequate and we ate dinner on the dunes one night which was very romantic. We also went to Somewhere next door which was more of a party place and had a very good happy hour.

The staff at the Windsong was great. Charles brought us complementary bottled water on the beach every day and made sure other hotel guests didn't take our chairs. There was another woman there who gave us flags we could put up in the sand to get the attention of someone if we needed anything.

I also appreciate that the staff were ready with suggestions, but didn't push anything on us. I have been to other places where people are always pestering you to buy things, go on tours, etc, but here it wasn't an issue, maybe because this area isn't very built up yet.

Overall, this was one of the best vacations I've ever been on and I hope to return to the Windsong someday.

Room Tip: A balcony is probably worth the splurge.
2 Thank kjb3h
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 March 2012

Stayed here for 5 nights, vacation with my wife. 1st time to T & C...

Location:
right on Grace Bay beach, but our portion of the beach was slightly rougher and steeper than the adjacent shorelines. As a plus, some of the best snorkeling on Grace Bay is at the resort. Resort is about a 30 min walk/10 min bike ride/5 min cab ride ($5 per person each way) to the main shopping/dining area (Salt Mill village, Regents walk). There are other resorts which are much closer, but these are pricier and more upscale.

Rooms:
overall, a good value for money ($300 per night for the smallest room with a courtyard view vs. $550 at the higher end hotels). Clean, modern rooms (built in 2008). Recommend oean view for 1-2 days simply for the excellent beach views. Note, this hotel like all others on the island, are condo-hotels - meaning, there are suites (kitchens, family rooms, 1-3 bedrooms) which are subdivided to various sized smaller rooms and rented out as hotel rooms by owners (managed by the hotel).

Restaurant:
dont bother eating here. only 1 restaurant, with lousy food. Particularly because there are many excellent restaurants on the island (but you have to travel to get to them, see above and below). breakfast is a great value: free with your room and portions are good. you can add eggs/waffles/pancakes for $3 (again, good value).

Pool:
nothing great, other resorts have much nicer pools (but are also much more expensive).

Staff:
all very friendly and curteous, but overall, the place lacks professionalism:
-$0.02 charge for "free" breakfast (?!)
-our door lock wouldnt open, we and others in our suite area were kept waiting outside for 30 mins. manager didnt offer us comps, apologies, etc...
-we could tell the staff werent trained in hospitality but were friendly and conversational.

General:
-free bikes to rent from hotel (none in kid size)
-free internet (laptops with connections), no wi fi
-TV reception is very poor (dish satellite to pick up analog cable from Miami)
-no real concierge. whoever is at the front desk is quasi helpful
-free dvd rental from the lobby

TIPS:
-either rent a car, scooter ($35+ per day) or you will feel too far from the action
-dont eat at the Windsong restaurant (Jo-jo's cafe) - except for the free breakfast
-book an ocean view for part of the stay (bigger rooms, but much more expensive)

General Turks and Caicos info:
-this place is heaven on earth, white sand beaches, clear blue waters, only 3.5 hrs from the northeast
-very relaxed, low key island, no loud reggae music or drunk parties
-excellent restaurants: Coco Bistro (continental), Lemon Cafe (middle eastern), Bella Luna (italian)
-1 indian restaurant: garam masala: average quality
-avoid Amanyara resort (way, way overpriced, extremely stuffy and pretentious, very difficult to get to)

Room Tip: Dont waste $$ by getting an ocean view for the entire stay.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple