“Expensive but spectacular!”

GreenLeadersSilver level
USA
“Expensive but spectacular!”
Reviewed 29 March 2011

This was our second visit to the Somerset on Grace Bay; both times we stayed in a 3 bedroom oceanfront villa in Dundee Estate. The unit itself was the utmost in luxury; roughly 3200 sq ft, with 3 bedrooms (2 with direct ocean views), a huge kitchen with Viking appliances, a large dining room with seating for eight, a large living room, and a huge wrap-around deck with hot-tub. The views were totally unobstructed, and the beach and pool were both steps away. Service was unobtrusive but excellent, especially the cleaning crew and the wonderful beach hands, who were more than happy to take us out sailing or teach us to sail. When we let the dining manager know that we were celebrating a birthday, she arranged for us to have a special birthday dinner on the beach, under a tented canopy with tiki torches and a bonfire, and there was no extra charge besides the standard menu prices! A very relaxing and luxurious stay!

• Stayed April 2010, travelled with family
2 Thank Vnyrdr

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (160)
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 19 March 2011

We visited in January over the MLK holiday. It must be a time in between two bigger holidays because the hotel wasn't busy and neither were the ones around it. It was perfect! He had an extremely large one bedroom in the Sterling building. The balcony faced the beach and even though it is set far back, it was still nice. Everything worked in the unit and the decor was beautiful. We did not book through the hotel so our services were a little bit different, I assume. I say assume because although I called and also visited the front desk for cleaning service, our room was never serviced in the 3 days we were there and NO one ever said it was not included in our reservation. They just said she was coming. I didn't bother complaining or inquiring a third time because at that point, I didn't care for someone to make my bed or clean up. We were tidy. If you are booking through a 3rd party or through an owner, ask for the details if this would bother you. The location of the hotel is great. While the Somerset is small and private, there is a large resort (Regent Palms) next door with shops and a spa. I preferred the ambiance of the Somerset and like that there was a walk way to the Regents if I needed anything from the convenience store or clothing shops. We had breakfast at the Somerset (the restaurant to the back of the resort) and while it was good, I would only recommend it if it was included in the room reservation. The a la carte prices are high for what they served and where the restaurant was located. We had lunch by the pool and that was nice. The food was good and the view could not be beat. For the rest of our meals, we ate at other hotels since they have their restaurants beachfront and are only 5-10 minute walk away. The breakfast was great at Hemingways and worth the walk and the prices. I would absolutely come back to the Somerset if the rates were good. It is a gorgeous hotel but in my opinion, not worth the high season prices. Low season prices? Yes!

**Almost forgot to mention. Wi-fi never worked while we were there. They sent a tech person who says something was broken and left. I was all over the resort and never got service. I saw on other posts that this is a problem. I connected at other hotels to check my email while having breakfast (I was using on iPhone not a laptop) but that was pain.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Flight001
Reviewed 17 March 2011

This place is clean,staff will bend over backwards for guests.very very friendly. When we arrived we were greeted with a drink and cold towels. Our first room was below average for a single room that I paid $500 a night for. The lamps were broken, lights were burnt out, drapery was broken and tattered and the tub shower was not engineered correctly and water accumulated around the tub and did not drain. I asked the desk to move us after a few days and they gladly accommodated us with an equivalent room in another area. This room was on parr with my expectations for this luxury hotel. Pool area is lux. Gym equipment was broken include bikes and one treadmill of total two. Watersport equipment was limited and windsurfing boards were missing their sails.

I really liked many things about the resort but may try another next time.

• Stayed March 2011
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed 16 March 2011

When we first walked onto the pool deck of the Somerset, my jaw dropped. . . followed shortly thereafter by a drop in my blood pressure, stress level, and probably even my triglycerides. This resort truly does live up to the exquisite photos on the website. Unlike some other reviewers, I was pleased with the service I received: problems were handled immediately and requests were graciously met. The complimentary breakfast was a nice bonus as food on the island is outrageously expensive. However, the menu does not make clear which dishes are included and which are not-- only the continental breakfast is free! The Somerset is positioned well on Grace Bay, allowing you to walk down the beach to many restaurants in the evening if the on-site one does not appeal to you. Be prepared to spend an enormous amount of money on food, spirits, and water no matter where you go. Overall, I would highly recommend the Somerset; the resort is beautiful, the staff is wonderful, and the setting is breathtaking. This was one of the most beautiful and relaxing vacations we've taken. We'll certainly return.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank TeacherLadySTL
New York City, New York
Reviewed 11 March 2011

My fiancée and I just got back from a five night stay at the Somerset on Grace Bay and it was fantastic!! I’m signing up on Trip Advisor just to post this review because it is so well deserved. The team at the Somerset was incredible. I work in the hospitality industry and trust me when I say that I am very hard to impress. Usually when I stay at hotels I immediately see all the flaws and that’s what I remember most. Not for this trip, and not for the Somerset. Everything from the grounds to the room to the pool and beach was amazing!
The grounds are absolutely stunning, well kept and clean. Every morning you will see the staff cleaning the pool and pool area as well as the beach. We walked the entire beach on grace bay during our stay and Somerset definitely has one of the best sections of the beach. Other hotels had seaweed and were overcrowded and small. The beach at Somerset was clean with plenty of chairs and space for you to relax and not feel like you’re on top of your neighbors.

The pool area as well was great. There are only 60 or so units in the resort which made for a quite peaceful atmosphere around the pool . No getting up at 7am to run down and put your books and towels on a chair to hold it which was great.

The room was wonderful as well. It was very spacious for a resort, with modern kitchen furnishings and a traditional island resort feel. The room was well taken care of by housekeeping and was very clean every time we returned from our day on the island. They also turned down the room at night with fresh towels which was nice.

We ate at the pool/beach bar for lunch almost every day and the food was great. They had a wide assortment of menu options and everything we tried from the conch to the pizza was very good. We never made it to dinner at the hotel but did also have breakfast a few mornings which was also very good and affordable. The continental breakfast was a bonus!

Last but certainly not least was the service. The Somerset definitely earns its stars from its service. Make sure to say hello to Janet and Jonathan at the pool bar, they were so attentive and friendly. The concierge was great with helping us get reservations from dinner to diving. From the second we arrived (Ricardo from the hotel met us and another couple at the airport) to our final minutes before leaving, we received excellent service everywhere we went. Everyone remembered our names, what room we were in, where we were from. It was incredible and made our stay that much better.

I highly recommend the Somerset and will definitely be going back again soon!

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank sroot17
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed 9 March 2011

I have been to this resort twice now. A girlfriend and I go for our annual "mommy getaway" vacation. It is a boutique resort in Provo on Grace Bay about 20 minutes from the airport. The staff is courteous but not warm.

The grounds are immaculate and the beach/pools are gorgeous; really, really gorgeous.

We like it for a girlfriends getaway b/c we can rent a 2-bedroom townhome and each have our own room and bathroom. The resort serves a free continental breakfast which is lovely. We stock up on groceries and drinkey-poos at the IGA (use the one on Leeward Highway as it is much cheaper than the newer one on Grace Bay--and get the deli's beans and rice), and then spend days lounging by the beach pool. It is heaven. There are lots of lovely restaurants in Grace Bay for evenings. Conch dishes are very popular.

There is great snorkeling right off shore at Turtle Cove.

We really like Provo/Grace Bay b/c it is safe by Caribbean standards and the water is amazingly beautiful.

The only real downside is the price. Somerset and most area resorts are not cheap (except maybe the beaches down the way). The first time we stayed their Lionel Ritchie was also a guest, if that puts it in some perspective. They do run specials, though, and we save money by splitting the cost of the townhouse. They also have one and three bedrooms for rent. It combines the ease of a condo with the luxury of a resort hotel. This place is great!

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with friends
3 Thank Taraehd
Memphis, Tennessee
Reviewed 28 February 2011

Just returned from our first trip to Turks & Caicos, and Provo.

After doing extensive online research, I booked our stay at The Somerset, based in large part upon favorable reviews through Trip Advisor as well as reputable published reviews by Fodor's and Frommers. I booked our 6 day trip for a 1 bedroom "ocean view" suite using the hotel's website, which required a very large advance downpayment (around $3,200). The total cost for the unit was at just under $7,000, an amount that we consider pretty substantial for a trip that did not even last a full week. I did not use a travel agent when making this reservation. I completely believe that was an error on my part and I will never book reservations at another facility in a foreign country that has not been personally recommended to me by a friend or trusted travel agent.

Although The Somerset is a gorgeous facility with prime real estate, we experienced continual disapppointments thoughout our stay there, beginning from the time we landed at the airport and were not greeted by a representative of the hotel, as we had previously been advised we would. Upon arriving by taxi, and checking in, we were taken to a ground floor unit at the Stirling House (Unit 105) that faced large foliage that totally blocked our view of the beach. In addition, the unit's safe was broken, the curtains were completely unmoveable, further blocking the view of the very small patio, there was rust in the Viking freezer. In short, this unit did not measure up to even what I would describe as minimum standards for a hotel, much less a luxury hotel.

Almost immediately upon seeing this unit, my boyfriend promptly returned to the front desk and demanded to be moved to another unit. He explained that we had booked a reservation for an ocean view suite and that had clearly not been delivered. The individual at the front desk then punted the problem to his boss, Scott, the manager, who my boyfriend then spoke to by phone as Scott was physically not on site at that time. Scott rudely explained to my boyfriend that not all guests could be on the top floor, to which my boyfriend then said fine, put us in another unit, and if necessary, we will pay more. Scott then said they could not do that, as the hotel was completely full. My boyfriend then asked for a full refund and said we would leave the property. Only at that point did Scott suggest that he would give us a 20% discount, after asking if we had used a travel agent in booking the hotel.

As if that isn't enough, my boyfriend then had to waste several hours time waiting on the management to send folks over to the unit to fix the curtain, fix the safe, etc. After the management said the safe was broken, they gave us a "pass key" to use for the safe. On day two, we noticed a large amount of water pooling in the interior hall which was dripping down through the light fixture in the ceiling. Yet again, another call to management to advise them of this major plumming problem. The ground's Fillipino plumber then came in to assess the problem and after looking at it, said that he would probably need to return.

Adding insult to injury, on day 3, my boyfriend came in to the unit around mid-afternoon after being at the pool and found the plumber, in the dark, in the master bathroom where our closet with the safe was, a site that was not even close to where the plumbing problem was the day before. After the plumber left, we discovered that approximately $200 and some pills had been stolen from the safe. We immediately reported this problem to the front desk, to my boyfriend was told that they had never had this problem reported before. The hotel did nothing to reimburse us or credit us the difference on our total bill.

Obviously, these folks are in cohoots and on the take. I could never recommend to ANYONE that this is a good place to spend their hard-earned money. We are very disappointed and will never return to this hotel, and may not return to the island.

On a positive note, there are a few employees there that we did enjoy, including Eva (the concierge) and Leone, at O'Soleil, and Gloria at the pool bar. Other than that. we can't recommend much of anything.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple