“Great Beach Barbeque Tues. Nights”

The Somerset on Grace Bay
Ranked #6 of 45 Hotels in Providenciales
GreenLeadersSilver level
dallas
“Great Beach Barbeque Tues. Nights”
Reviewed 19 June 2013

The Somerset Beach Barbeque on Tues. night was a highlight of our week. The food was absolutely delicious, the music varied and fun, the service top notch, and the setting idyllic. It seemed that everyone there was having a wonderful evening. Highest compliments to the Somerset for this not to be missed event.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
5 Thank csaDallas

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (162)
United States
Reviewed 11 June 2013

This is our family's first trip to Turks and Caicos (myself, my husband and 2 young kids), so we weren't sure what to expect, but had high hopes for the Somerset and Grace Bay. We still have 2 days left before we return home, and the Somerset has exceeded everything I had hoped for. We have stayed at the Ritz in Grand Cayman (which we loved- it's beautiful there as well), and at the time I thought nothing could top that resort. The Somerset has done that for us. It's a luxurious hotel... without being pretentious. The location is perfect... Grace Bay is like a huge swimming pool. The ocean water is completely clear and calm. My kids normally don't like the ocean water and prefer the pool, but this is the first time they asked to return to the ocean to play in the gorgeous, turquoise water. The infinity pool at the Somerset is the prettiest I have seen, and you never have trouble finding a quiet chair and umbrella next to it. The staff treated us like old friends, going out of their way to cater to my kids. They are willing to get you whatever you need, but without the constant hovering that you might get at stuffier resorts. I especially appreciated Nadine at the pool bar, Kay Anne at the Kids Club (which is complimentary), Andrew on the beach, and Warren upon arrival. If you happen to stay here on a Tuesday, they have a fabulous Caribbean BBQ right on the beach, complete with DJ and dance floor. The food was excellent at the BBQ. But the best thing about the Somerset is the building itself. It is the prettiest on the beach. The resort rooms are not just rooms. They are HUGE condominiums, compete with top of the line appliances in the kitchen, marble and travertine throughout, beautiful furnishings and fixtures, and a gorgeous patio with an ocean view (we are staying in the Stirling House ocean view villa, 302). So it's basically like renting a beautiful home, but with the added bonus of housekeeping twice per day (they even loaded and unloaded our dishwasher), and the amenities of a fine hotel. I looked at other properties on Grace Bay, and nothing else offered the vast and upscale living quarters like the Somerset. We also rented a car at the airport, and used it to sightsee on the island and pick up groceries from the nearby Graceway Gourmet grocery store. Parking is complimentary at the Somerset. My only suggestion would be to expand the complimentary continental breakfast to include more than just fruit and pastries. It would have been nice to have yogurt, granola, bagels, etc. as well. I wouldn't hesitate to come back.

Room Tip: Make sure to book an ocean view villa. It's worth it.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank brubenow
Urmas_Karner, General Manager at The Somerset on Grace Bay, responded to this review, 26 June 2013
Dear brubenow,

I want to thank you for taking the time to write such an in-depth review about your family's stay at The Somerset. It is our goal to provide exceptional service to guests of all ages so that your family can enjoy treasured times to last a lifetime.

We are pleased to hear that everything exceeded your expectations. I appreciate you taking the time to acknowledge some of our staff members and I will certainly pass along your comments to them. I will also share your feedback regarding the Continental breakfast to our Food & Beverage team.

Again, thank you for your review and we do hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you and your family back to The Somerset on Grace Bay sometime soon.

Warmest regards,
Urmas Karner
New York City, New York
Reviewed 28 May 2013

My wife and I just came back from an amazingly relaxing experience. The Somerset is in our view the most beautiful and sophisticated hotel on Grace bay in providenciales. We prefer spending time at both the beach and the pool. No pool on the island compares to The Somerset's new infinity pool, which seems to just flow into the sparkling aqua colored ocean water. The hotel is small and quiet -- which is what we wanted. But even with the serenity, many families were there and the kids appeared to be having a great time. The service and amenities are as fine as in any other luxury place we've been in the Caribbean. We had a huge suite with top of the line Viking appliances overlooking the ocean. It was hard to leave when the vacation was over. Perhaps the best of all was the staff -- the friedliest and most helpful we've ever encountered. We're looking forward to our return visit for Thanksgiving week.

Room Tip: As long as you're looking at the ocean, any room in Stirling House or an Estate building is grea...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Aaron R
Dear Aaron R,

Thank you for your review. We're pleased to hear you enjoyed your recent stay and all of the qualities that make The Somerset unique to Grace Bay. I'll certainly pass along your kind words to our staff members and we all look forward to welcoming you back for Thanksgiving.

Warmest regards,
Urmas Karner
Oxford, Connecticut, United States
Reviewed 24 May 2013

We spent our April 2012 school break with our son at the Somerset. Was truly one of the best vacations I have ever been on. The Somerset was gorgeous and the staff and food was great. Can't wait to return. We stayed in a 2 Bedroom Garden View and the courtyard was great for the kids to play in and still be close to us in the room.

Just great!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Susie M
Madison, Wisconsin
Reviewed 19 May 2013

We are a young family (2yr and 4yr old children) and this was our first time to visit the Somerset. We arrived just after the high season and were pleasantly surprised by how quiet it was around the hotel. The staff went above and beyond to make us feel welcome, take care of us and help us with day excursions and reservations for dinner.
Our accommodations was a three story condo and was more than enough room for us and was very comfortably furnished.
The food on site was great and room service was usually speedier than eating by the pool or in the restaurant.
The pools were very nice. Although I imagine that during high season our children may not have the same freedom to run and splash as they did this trip.
I highly recommend this hotel to families as they are very accommodating and sweet to children, but I would also come here with girlfriends or on a couples trip. We even had one of the employees babysit for us a couple of nights! And I have to really make the point of how wonderful the staff was.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Kate F
New York City, New York
Reviewed 13 May 2013

Our book club met at the beautiful and very comfortable Somerset - perfectly situated centrally on Grace Bay -- to discuss our book and enjoy the incredible beaches and turquoise waters. I could not have asked for a better place to meet with friends. The condo is clean, elegant, large and comfortable -- and very well maintained with flowers blooming throughout the property. It is has a gorgeous pool and fantastic beach. The restaurant has delicious food and the staff was friendly and helpful. Nearby there are other restaurants, spa, shops -- all with in walking distance. Somerset is very well located and well maintained . I would highly recommend this place for book club meetings, family and friend reunions/vacations. It is relaxing and pure heaven.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank R D
Reviewed 10 May 2013

Our Book Club just spent 5 days at the Somerset on Grace Bay (we tend to travel to read!). I expected a beautiful condo in a great location but this was par excellence. Somerset is like being in a five star hotel but with the luxury of space. We were in a spacious 3 bedroom condo (my family has never done a condo vacation, our true north is the Four Seasons) and I called my husband to describe what luxury truly looks like. Think a modern space with the benefit of perfect service. The advantage of a beach front property with multiple pools, fab pool side restaurant ( ask for Nadine) and bar but a five minute walk to superb options of other similar properties and a spa that puts Dubai's Sixth Sence to shame. I don't write reviews, am writing this to share my first time experience with others. Do's: get a first floor condo for its convenience, coolness and view of the ocean framed with roses as the perfect view. Order the mango something something while reading, cajan shrimp wrap for lunch, a long dip in an adult only lap pool, shopping at a well stocked boutique. Don'ts: walk from town (taxi better option), turn right at beach for a walk (beach too narrow on the left, ie Gansvoort etc), snorkling cruise was not my scene, hire private tour.

• Stayed May 2013