“Great Resort”

The Somerset on Grace Bay
Ranked #3 of 44 Hotels in Providenciales
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 30 January 2010

My fiancé & I stayed at the Somerset while scouting out wedding locations in January 2010. The Somerset is very elegant & the staff is very help & caters to your needs nicely. Depending on what room you say in you'll either have a full gourmet or galley kitchen. You also have some great dining options here. O'Soleil is the fine dining restaurant on the property & is amazing. Truly one of my most enjoyable dining experiences. There is a property next door called Sibonne (one of the first hotels on Grace Bay) that has a restaurant called Bay Bistro which also has wonderful food. All that said, the Turks & Caicos is designed for you to spend as much money as possible - so while the experience is exceedingly nice, don't go if you're not willing/prepared to spend your $$$$.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank rpdubose

Reviewed 21 January 2010

My husband and I joined my brother and his wife to celebrate my brother's 50th birthday. The resort is lovely. The staff is friendly and attentive and the food is excellent. We both reserved the smallest, least expensive rooms, the garden view studios which are all approximately 280 square feet. The rooms all have microwaves and small refrigerators and beautiful bathrooms with stall showers and large bathtubs. My only mistake was to book my room directly through the hotel whereas my brother booked his room through an online travel agent and paid much less per night. Not only that, he had a better room, on a higher floor and when we compared notes about housekeeping, he also got better attention. I also was not informed when we checked in that a 10% service fee would be added to our stay so I was tipping away not knowing the tips was being included in my room. So, I ended up paying $484 for a room that was adverstised at $400, whereas my brother paid $358. I'm not sure what he paid in taxes and service charges, but since his base price was $358, he probably ended up paying at least $60 per night less than I did.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled with family
2  Thank gailfr
Reviewed 18 January 2010

My husband and I stayed at the Somerset for our Honeymoon. Everything was absolutely incredible...we could not have asked for anything more!

The rooms were huge and the staff was so nice and helpful. In the nine days that we stayed we made a lot of new friends especially Winston! Everything was very clean. The Somerset is the epitomy of Luxury. Although a little expensive, our stay was completely worth it.
The staff set reservations for us, conch diving, snorkeling, and boat cruise. The resort was quiet and very classy. Everything we ate at the restaurant was great and the atmosphere was wonderful!

We want to go back for our 1 yr. anniversary. A couple that we met while we were there goes every year! It was their 9th year at the Somerset.
The hotel is convieniently located on the beach next to many other hotels and walk-up restaurants.

We loved it!

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank GabbyD
Reviewed 21 November 2009

Overall, this is a nice resort on a very nice beach (powder soft sand) but it didn't meet our admittedly high expectations. After reading a lot of reviews we felt this would be a very memorable way to spend our vacation as 1st timers to T&C.

Pros:
Wonderful staff, very friendly (especially Winston, Janet, Eva, and Nadine). No problems whatsoever with the entire crew.
Very clean pretty landscaping and continueous upkeep.
O'Soleil restaurant is very good and the head chef Lauren is excellent
Modern condos with high end appliances, interior design and accomodations

Cons:
Our unit had some sort of bug problem in the kitchen area. Don't think they were roaches but some sort of native species? Housekeeping was proactive with spraying after our report but it never solved the problem.
Patio glass door had a broken handle (couldn't lock it and it finally fell off). Took maintenance about 2 days to completely fix it.
Our unit was on the ground level and we constantly heard the pool filter. We should have asked to be moved.
The resort doesn't have any sort of gift shop or convenience store. Went next door to Regent Palms to pickup some small items.
The resort doesn't offer a place to have breakfast other than in your room and only after 7:30 am. We ended up going next door to Regent Palms for a nice outdoor breakfast several times during the week.

We expected a 4-5 star accomodation along the vein of a Westin (at least) or the Ritz (at most). Perhaps we were wrong to compare it this way but I felt that the $$$ we spent was not on par with what we envisioned.

The island is pretty quiet so that translates to a very quiet resort without a lot of activities going on. We didn't rent a car (we should have) so we felt tied to either staying around the area or paying a lot of $ for questionable taxi service.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Bozzie63
Reviewed 3 November 2009

The Somerset has the most beautiful grounds and the nicest beach on Grace Bay. It was not too crowded and I could easily find a pool chair or spot on the white sand beaches. Our room was large and had an in room jacuzzi. We received excellent service the entire time!

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 16 October 2009

I stayed at The Somerset for 3 nights from 10/11 to 10/14. I absolutely loved Provo and the hotel. Provo is by far my favorite island to date. We had a lockout room in the Sterling Towers with no view but I didn’t mind it at all. The hotel is a bit on the pricey side but the resort is gorgeous and well kept. The rooms are clean and they provided a turn down service as well. While I was there, the hotel was at about 10% capacity so there were not any guests in the room connecting to ours so we didn’t have to be concerned with the noise problem so many other people had issues with. Bear with me as I write this detailed review.

My room was very nice, simple and home-y. The décor is similar to that of Pottery Barn I would say. It’s quite small in size and it was only a queen bed. The bathroom had a large whirlpool tub (which we did not use) and a separate standing shower with decent water pressure. My boyfriend and I are not picky people as long as the room was clean, and it was. We also had what they called a “kitchenette” in the room, which consisted of a sink, a small fridge and a microwave. The room also came with dinnerware/silverware. There was a flat screen television with pretty good channel selections (what I am used to in New York City) and a DVD player. The safe was free and easy to use. For the price I paid for the room, I was a bit disappointed in the toiletries they provided. There was only shampoo, conditioner, bath foam and two bars of soap. Generally speaking, I was content with the room. There were some cons such as no alarm clock, only one night stand and only one mirror in the bathroom. You could not get light into the room without opening the curtains and exposing your entire room (no shades). Another thing I was kind of annoyed with was the set up of the bathroom. The bathroom door opened against the bathroom sink so you would have to walk around it, close the door to get full access of the sink. But those are just little nuisances that didn’t ruin my stay.

The grounds of the resort are well kept. Every morning during my stay, we would see gardeners and cleaning crews hard at work. The pools and the chairs and umbrellas looked clean as well. We didn’t go into the pool because it was taken over by families with toddlers. No big deal since the beach was to die for. One thing about the pool is that the infinity pool isn’t really an infinity pool. There is a view of the sea grass right in front of it so it doesn’t look like it goes straight into the ocean. So be prepared if that’s one of the reasons why you are picking this hotel.

Hotel staff was great. They remember your name and go out of their way to please you. If they see you walking around, they would smile and wave. Check in was a breeze. They welcomed you with cold towels and a fruit drink. They give you a brief tour of the pool area and then bring you to your room. We were on the 3rd floor and only rode the elevator once because there were mosquitoes in the elevator. The night before you check out, they slipped our hotel bill underneath our doors so we can review. They gave us a bill for a different room but all we had to do was go to the front desk and they fixed it. We had an issue with our DVD player one night and called the front desk. The guy who usually handles these issues had gone for the day so they sent the security guard to see if he would be able to fix it. He wasn’t able to so the receptionist suggested that they go to an unoccupied hotel room and switch the DVD players. This was already past midnight so I said tomorrow would be fine. I had to remind them the next day but we had a working DVD player in no time. They have a “library” of DVDs you can borrow from. It was a pretty good selection. They charge you $25 per DVD for security deposit but release it once you return it.

The beach is exactly how you see it on the website. It is beyond gorgeous. The water is calm and clear. My boyfriend and I bought our own floats and just spent the entire time sitting on them and relaxing in the water. The hotel provides complimentary use of hobie cats, kayaks, wind surfing, life jackets and snorkeling equipment. Since the hotel was almost empty, we didn’t have any trouble using the kayaks when we wanted to. It was so much fun! Chairs and umbrellas were plentiful and they also provided a little table. I have never seen that before and I thought it was pretty useful. Word of caution, it is breezy on the beach so you don’t realize how much sun you are getting. Make sure you use sunscreen and reapply!

We didn’t eat at any restaurants at the hotel so I can’t provide any insight on that. We did, however, attend the Manager’s cocktail reception one evening at the bar in O’Soleil for free sangrias and 2 tapas dishes (shrimp tempura and tuna tartare). All were delicious! We also got a guava and pina colada smoothie from LunaSea and they were $9 each! It was good but yikes! The hotel also had a lobster dinner bonfire one night but we passed on that since it was $42 a person and we wanted to go to a local place. The dinner came with 2 sides, 8 oz lobster tails and a drink. The bonfire was still going on when we came back from our own dinner and there was a live band. We sat and watched them for a while. They were a great acoustic band. Our room rate had free continental breakfast every morning served in your room. You just call the front desk and place your order and they bring it up to you within 10 minutes. It was an assortment of pastries, fruits and juices.

Now some other details about my trip. We rented a car with Grace Bay Car Rentals prior to arriving in Provo. I strongly suggest you rent a car if you are going to Provo unless you are going to stay in an all-inclusive resort. The Somerset charges $22 a person each way to use the airport shuttle. A gentleman was outside of the airport waiting for us with maps. He was nice and patient enough to draw on the maps how to get to the gas stations (gas is about $5 a gallon), supermarket and most importantly our hotel. I would definitely recommend Grace Bay Car Rentals. We got an old car with the cheapest rate but it ran fine. It was $160 for 4 days including insurance. We just had to fill up the tank when we dropped it off. The car had right side steering wheel and we had to drive on the left side of the road which took some getting used to. There are no traffic lights and only traffic circles. That also took some getting used to, but a few times on the road, you’re able to recognize which road goes where. We went to IGA twice during our stay. Things are expensive in Provo. If you are able to pack your own snacks/food, I would suggest you do that and just purchase perishables at IGA. We went to the new IGA down by Seven Stars Resorts so I couldn’t tell you about the old one. The new IGA was clean and had great stock. One night, we were too lazy to go out for dinner, so we bought a whole rotisserie chicken there for $9.99. It was soooooo delicious! It gave our wallets a break from eating out.

We didn’t go on any excursions and it seemed like there were not many non-water excursions. We did take a drive in search of Sapodilla Bay. Definitely worth it. This beach alone is worth renting a car and going on your own. Just as I thought Grace Bay could not be beat, Sapodilla Bay takes the prize. There were only about 6 of us on the entire stretch of beach so it was pleasant and relaxing. The water is warm, shallow and calm. Just perfect.

We ate at Hemingway’s on the beach (try the fish tacos), A Hole in the Wall (a definite must! This was the best and cheapest meal we had), Tiki Hut (also good), Da Conch Shack (another definite must! Get the conch salad) and Horse Eyed Jack’s (this was just ok in my opinion). We went to Player's Club Casino. It was small but the limits were low.

I enjoyed my stay at The Somerset and would recommend it if budget was not a concern for you because I did feel that it was a tad overpriced. Provo is just an amazing island so I am sure wherever you stay you would be happy. It’s hard to be angry when you see beautiful views every day!

Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
9  Thank sarafink525
Reviewed 22 September 2009

I’ve used Trip Advisor to vet every resort I go to so it’s only fitting that I share my experience at the Somerset @ Grace Bay with you. This was my 2nd visit to Grace Bay. We stayed at the Sands in 2006. We (group of 4) took the direct AA flight from JFK to Provo that gets you there and back in just over 3 hours.
Although the resort was small it had the amenities we needed for an enjoyable stay. Reception, Concierge, Fitness Center, Pool side bar/lounge, upscale restaurant and one of the most beautiful beaches there is. What more could you ask for.
The resort was under 30% occupied and that gave it such a great feeling….knowing that you didn’t have to reserve chairs at the pool or beach, being able to use the watercraft anytime you wanted to…getting to know the staff one on one (thank you Xavier, Warren and Janet for making our stay one we’ll always remember) Yes, the resort is 5 Star and with that you will always pay a premium but like was said I could pay $8.00 to $10.00 for a Cocktail or Corona in the NY Metro area and not get a view as spectacular as this…So the moral of the story as far as we were concerned was pay up and enjoy every minute while it lasted.
The selection at the poolside bar LunAsea was limited but the seafood was always fresh. Didn't experience the Lobster bake on Tuesday nite..Sorry
We (group of 4) did have dinner one night at O’Soleil and with a few cocktails the cost ran over $300.00 with tip. If you’re expecting large portions go somewhere else or order more bread. Again, we ate there one night and enjoyed the experience of this sophisticated restaurant. Our accommodations were terrific and high end as stated by the website. I would highly recommend the Somerset @ Grace Bay if you’re planning to come to the Turks and Caicos Islands.
Restaurants…all four of us agreed on the following….Mango Reef we ate here twice (low $200’s for 4 ) …and Hemmingway’s (low $200’s for 4) …and last but not least Pizza-Pizza ($80 for 4) all meals included a few cocktails…
Car Rentals…Use Grace Bay rentals…about $100+ cheaper than AVIS and Hertz…not the newest model/lowest mileage cars but clean comfortable and functional….who needs more…
We did choose Provo ponies one evening and thoroughly enjoyed riding in the beautiful ocean...thanks Kelly..
My wife did experience a Massage at the Palms next door...said it was the best she ever had...for $180..I sure hope it was...

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled with friends