“Beautiful property, but service was lacking”

Seven Stars Resort & Spa
Ranked #4 of 45 Hotels in Providenciales
MN
“Beautiful property, but service was lacking”
Reviewed 9 December 2010

The hotel grounds were very nice looking. The rooms were very clean, and the beds were very soft and comfortable. Pillows were great too. The swimming pool was huge; but beware about the "heated" pool. The water seemed pretty cool to me, which made me wonder how cold other properties pools must be if this one was heated. There were plenty of chairs available by the pool or beach. Continental breakfast included various pastries, fruit, yogurt, cereal. Upon our arrival, the free upgrade I was supposed to get was not an upgrade to the room listed on the travel website I saw. However, because my papers just said room upgrade, the front desk woman did not care. I suppose that is my fault for not printing everything out, but the service issues did not end there. About 8 people were in the taxi that arrived at Seven Stars. The bell hop said not to wait for our luggage, he would get it. Well, about an hour later our luggage had still not shown up. The front desk woman claimed the taxi drove off with our luggage. This was skeptical considering the bell hop looked too busy handing out cool towels instead of getting our luggage from the taxi. I wouldn't have been so mad if the front desk had at least apologized. The next day our room was not cleaned even though we had the cleaning sign out. I left a message with housekeeping, but still no one showed up. I contacted the front desk and around 6pm our room was cleaned. The next day we only had 1 bath towel in our room, the extra ones from the closet were gone. Again, I tried to contact housekeeping and no towel ever showed up. My husband ended up using a hand towel. We seemed to have better service our last day. We sat on the beach several days, but only one time, the entire week, did we have someone come by to ask if we wanted anything to drink. While sitting around the pool, we were brought fruit skewers in the morning and everyone seemed friendlier. Perhaps our service issues were a fluke, but they were enough to cause us to be disappointed. We visited the hotel deck bar for dinner once. It was very pricey; there were $12 in service fees and taxes on top of a $40 bill (and that was before gratuity too). They have a happy hour from around 5:30pm-8pm daily, but the drinks are still $9. The hotel was very close to a lot of shops and restaurants. Didn't take advantage of the hotel shuttle service. There was free wi fi by the pool and in the lobby.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (838)
New Haven, Connecticut
Reviewed 4 December 2010

My boyfriend and I recently spent 5 night at the Seven Stars on Grace Bay. We stayed from 11/27-12/1. The purpose of this trip was for relaxation as we are expecting our first child in March 2011. We figured we should spend one last vacation together as we prepare for parenthood.
I have stayed at many destinations in the Carribean and had always wanted to see if Turks and Caicos lived up to its reputation. We were greated at the airport by a hotel representative who ushered us into a taxi van with several other people. We were charged 13$ per person plus tip of course but our luggage was taken over by staff at the resort who would have it in our room waiting for us. We sat in a nicely decorated open air lobby where we were given cool towels and a welcome rum punch (no rum for mommy to be). It was a nice presentation. From other resorts I've stayed at (including Sandals) the reception process was nice and they did not puch for vouchers and documentation proof. We were then taken on a quick guide of the resort and then walked to our room.
The room was very nice, ocean view jr suite, on the 5th floor of one of 3 buildings. The view was definitley worth the upgrade. There was a nice sized patio with double sliders and also a large window above a giant soaking tub in the bathroom. The bed was extremely comfortable, the bathroom was large, and there was also a nice kitchenette area. The kitchen area was invaluable as food is very very expensive. It was stocked with cookware, utensils, glassware, a cooktop, fridge, and microwave, also a coffee maker (which is great b/c you can't get coffee until 7am and we are early risers).
We went to the Sand dollar restaurant which is on the edge of the pool and each had a cheeseburger, I had an ice tea, and my boyfriend had 2 rum punches. Our bill (with tax and 18% gratuity tacked on) was around 90dollars. The food was good but definitely pricey. We decided to buy some groceries as the food was so expensive. The grocery store was in walking distance and very nice. Food there was also pricey but cheaper than eating out every meal. We also ate dinner at the resort one night, we each had a steak (filet for me and strip for my boyfriend), the service was slow and fragmented and the food was just ok. I ordered a pelligrino and it was flat. I also ordered dessert (chocolate cake) that was obviously frozen and barley thawed and slightly freezer burned. Not happy with that particular meal. As far as food we found a nice pub and pizza place in walking distance that was reasonable prices and alcohol was cheaper too. Just be preapred to spend on food...A LOT.
As far as the serv ice by the pool, the staff was great. Offering ice water with lemon, cool towels, fresh fruit sticks...The lounge chairs by the pool and beach were clean and comfy and very very nice. The pool was huge and often we were there alone.
My biggest dissapointment was the spa. As a 6 month pregnant woman I was anxious to get the prenatal massage that was advertised in the spa brochure. My boyfriend and I walked over to the spa to book my massage and a deep tissue for him. it was on Sunday and there was one young woman by herself that said we would have to have the massages back to back because she was there alone. Then she offered to call another therapist in and she asked me how many months pregnant I was. She said she would leave us a message for the time of the massages. She found us later walking and said they would not do the massage because it was "bad for the baby" I was very upset and I also know that it is not true as I am in the medicine field. She went on to say they will only do it for up to 3 months, there is no mention of this at all in the brochure and is just ridiculous.
Of note, we had 2 servers that were great L'Erica and Lela...they treated us great and remembered our names and drinks...kudoos to them!
Overall I would go back to this resort, just save a little more money for food...

Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank grayce14
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed 3 December 2010

Seven Stars is a plush hotel on a terrific beach. The location and beach amenities are outstanding. However, the on-premises dining is very disappointing. For one thing, the main in-house restaurant was NOT in service. That leaves guests with the choice of poolside sandwich fare, or the more expensive dinner menu which was served on a beachfront deck designed for drinks, not eating. The tables and chairs on the deck are not comfortable -- designed for sitting at a bar, not for a restaurant. And beach umbrellas provide the only shelter. Diners on the deck were caught by a rainshower while waiting for our meal. The service, while friendly, is erratic. After an initial greeting by a waiter, you might not see him/her again for another 20 minutes. For the pretty expensive menu prices, that was unsatisfactory.

Do NOT rent a car for the purpose of driving to or around Grace Bay -- especially NOT from Avis. I had prepaid for collision insurance through CheapTickets.com, only to be abrasively told that Avis did not accept it. And the Avis rental charges on Provo are exorbitant. Take the Seven Stars shuttle bus instead.

If you like to scuba dive, the diving around the T&C's is truly awesome. The reefs are about 65-ft. down and extend out about 300 yards to the edge of the island wall, where the ocean drops off to a depth of over 6,000 ft. The underwater scenery is as dramatic as any you will find on the planet. Dive Provo, which has one of its shops right across the street from Seven Stars, is a outstanding dive operator. It's personnel are professional and helpful, dedicated to providing a great diving experience.

Because of its location and amenities, I would recommend Seven Stars, with the cautions noted.

3 Thank WorkOutFanatic
Winnipeg, Canada
Reviewed 2 December 2010

Seven Stars

We just returned from a week at the Seven Stars in the Turks and Caicos. It was awesome!

Arrival:
From the moment that we arrived at the front desk, we felt like royalty. We were greeted with a cool scented cloth, but no rum punch. Although we noticed that others had been served the punch, we were not offered any on arrival. We thought that it was an oversight, however, we had not even started to unpack when the drinks were delivered to our room so that we could enjoy them on the balcony. The registration process was quick and efficient. Everyone was friendly and accommodating.

Room:
The room was spectacular. All furnishings and appliances were of the highest quality. Everything was spotless and gleaming. We were immediately impressed. There were many small touches that indicated clearly that it was just a cut above most accommodations – like the bath robes and the coffee expresso machine.

Grounds/Pool:
The grounds were beautiful and carefully planned. They provided a variety of options depending on the need. For example you could enjoy a lounge at poolside or you could choose a cabana away from all other guests with an ocean view where you could sit or read in virtual privacy.

Beach:
The beach was incredible! There were an abundance of chairs and umbrellas. The beach was kept clean by the staff and it was always ready and waiting. The staff were attentive to our needs and were constantly circulating providing cold water, towels, and/or bar service, even fruit kabobs on one occasion. It was constant pampering.
The beach itself was expansive and considerably deeper than that enjoyed by many of the resorts further down the Bay.
We took full advantage of the beach activities. We sailed and Kayaked at no charge. We didn’t have the expertise to enjoy the paddle boards. We signed up for snorkelling and enjoyed a private guided tour of the protected reef for a modest fee. It was amazing.

Conclusion:
This resort was great value for the money. It was our first trip to the Caribbean but hopefully it won’t be our last. Seven Stars is our Caribbean destination of choice.

(A solid plug for Grace Bay car rentals as well - great vehicles - great value)

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Dennis4563
Ozark, Missouri
Reviewed 2 December 2010

This was the best vacation of my life thanks to the wonderful staff at this resort. Everything was perfect and luxurious. Everyone was so gracious and made a point to greet you always. The service was teriffic, the entire resort was kept very neat and clean. Everything in our room was spotless, up to date and beautifully decorated. Twice daily maid service kept it that way all week. We had a 1 bedroom premium unit in the Alhena building overlooking the pool and out to the ocean - breathtaking view! We loved the terrace with ample seating and dining tables/chairs. The bed was magnificent ( I really wanted to pack those pillows in my suitcase). Complimentary Continental breakfast by the pool each morning then off to the beach. We must have picked the perfect time of year to travel, it was never crowded, we felt like we had our own private beach. The beach was very clean - even after a storm brought in a mess of seaweed, they were out early to rake it up. Security around the resort kept us very comfortable, and not worried in the least of our safety. An easy walk to grocery store and shopping on each side of the resort . We loved Danny Bouys Irish Pub and there is a little ice cream/hat shop that we visited every night. I am glad we rented a car for the week as we love to explore, but they do have shuttle service to many places in the Grace Bay Area.

1 Thank mad189
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 1 December 2010

Just returned from 8 nights at Seven Stars. After reading the reviews I must say I expected a lot more than what it truly was.

The hotel greeter at the airport stuck us (an infant, toddler, me and my wife) in a van with another 4 people even when I wanted to take my own taxi. Since you pay per person they try and maximize their revenue per trip - nevermind that the customers have to squish in.

The check in took forever - our room wasn't ready at 1:30 and instead of offering an upgrade (the hotel was was virtually empty - many times there were only a handful of people either on the beach or pool) they said for us to go have lunch on them. They still charged me $80 for lunch which I didn't want to argue over - just left a very bad taste. An hour and a half later we finally got our room after I demanded it so my wife could breastfeed our child. Sure enough, the cleaning staff were still working the room...

The property is very nice, and the staff mean well (except the front desk which every experience I had with was awful), but the hotel lacks finishing touches and sometimes just common sense.

For example, we had dinner at the only restaurant that serves dinner on the property which is outdoors. At 6:30pm about 10 feet away, a crew of gardeners start fogging for mosquitoes while my 3 year old is having his meal and we are having our apps. Keep in mind I also had an infant at our table. I could not believe it - the spray was everywhere. We beelined for the beach to get away, and just left our meal. In the end, the manager comped us two drinks, one appetizer of our meal (not the other expensive app or the mains) and desert. Our son ate from our main course as I didn't want him touching his meal. The next day when I mentioned it to a manager he said it was "a bad call" and hoped the supervisor took care of us. I did not want a discount on my meal, I just cared that they change their practice - not sure they fully get it.

I will say that the food is well cooked, service on the beach and pool very good, the location good and the cleaning staff amazing. The hotel shuttle is a good service and the water sports service also good. But can they improve absolutely.

Can you go and have a great time? Certainly, just expect there will be hiccups, as they are going through a lot of growing pains. In speaking with many other guests they seemed to share the same sentiment.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled with family
2 Thank Deemer88
New York
Reviewed 30 November 2010

have to give many many thanks to claudine, concierge, who was incredibly helpful even before we arrived! she was insightful, helpful and very responsive to my MANY questions and set up an amazing itinerary of dinners and tour.

the hotel is beautiful - well kept + pristine! rooms are HUGE. we did get an upgrade to a 2BR oceanview suite - as a couple we had much more room than we needed, but did it for the view. oh, and the view - it's like a postcard.

hotel beach is amazing. soft sand. beautiful waters. and not crowded...at all.

hotel service was good. perhaps not the most attentive overall, but all you have to do is ask :-).

as others have written, do yourself a favor and go to the grocery store. the restaurant options on the resort are limited, but i believe all rooms have a FULL kitchen, so we made our own breakfast everyday.

for dinners, went to: coyaba, magnolia and opus. loved opus!! went on thanksgiving night - turkey dinner and all! the singer that night was AMAZING!

had a great tour of north/middle caicos with "mac" from m+m tours. very courteous and knowledgeable.

all in all had a great time!

1 Thank NewYorkTravelgal