“Awesome!!!”
Review of Chenay Bay Beach

Ranked #45 of 107 things to do in St. Croix
More attraction details
Owner description: This half-mile strand east of Christiansted has a resort and windsurfing center.
Reviewed 7 September 2009

We booked a week at Chenay Bay and it was WONDERFUL!!!! The scenery took my breath away................Highly recommended!!!!

1  Thank cortay

Reviewed 10 December 2008

Note, I'm reviewing the Chenay Bay beach as a visitor, not the resort as a resident!

I drove out East to Chenay Bay beach after reading St. Croix This Week magazine (kinda misleading mag title, since it apparently comes out every two months), which recommended this beach for "good swimming" and "hammocks". Unfortunately it had neither.

The hammocks (or rather, the trees from which they hung) apparently had been damaged during Hurricane Omar, so there were no hammocks to be found on the beach. Chenay Bay beach resort does provide beach chairs for its guests, and luckily the beach was nearly empty so the nice woman at the front desk said I was welcome to use one as long as I bought a drink from the resort bar.

Beachside and poolside bar service is a nice feature at Chenay Bay, the main reason I'd recommend the beach. You can also rent kayaks or snorkel equipment from the resort.

The water itself is very calm - just ripples, no waves, but the beach is fairly rocky and there is a quick drop-off to deep water, not my ideal for swimming. There was also quite a lot of sea grass and rocks on the sand, though someone from the resort said that was still storm-related mess and they would clean that soon.

Since there were so few people at the resort, I was invited to join a group at the pool, and this was the best part of my trip out to Chenay Bay -- the infinity pool is gorgeous. The view out to the water from the pool is spectacular, especially if you're in the pool with a rum drink at sundown. Unfortunately, visitors (not guests) are usually not supposed to use the pool.

If you're looking for a good swimming beach, I'd stick to Cane Bay or Carambola (or the absolute best, Sandy Point), but Chenay Bay is decent, if not great.

1  Thank Maura K
Reviewed 31 July 2008

In mid June 2008 three couples who attended my daughter's wedding stayed at Chenay Bay and loved it! The private cottages are beautifully decorated, clean, and cozy. The resort bar and restaurant are situated steps away from the calm clear water of Chenay Bay Beach. About 12 of us ended up eating there on two different nights and had a wonderful time!

Reviewed 17 June 2006

We booked a week at Chenay Bay and we are SO glad we did. It was just what we wanted. Single cottages with no noise. Chenay bay offers all sorts of water activities ~ sailfish, snorkling ( which was great ) and kayaks. My husband and I snorkled almost every day we were there. We took the kayaks out to Green Cay and enjoyed that too. It's a bit far from town so we rented a car to tour the Island. You MUST book on Big Beards full day cruise for some serious snorkling. But back to Cenay Bay ~ The sunsets were beautiful, the days were always relaxing and peaceful there, the house keeping staff was wonderful, Victor with watersports was, well........a trip and a half. And Patrick the bartender made us feel like we were right at home. If you go you Must ask Partick to make his specialty drink ~ " Patricks Passion " We met Peter and Debi the owners at a cocktail party they hosted. Very nice people ~ down to earth. We met quite a few nice people from all over the country during our stay. When and if we visit St. Croix again, Chenay Bay WILL be our destination. If you want the high rise atmosphere with kids running up and down the hallways then this is not the place for you. Peace and quiet is the name of the game here!!
Barbara & Artie

3  Thank Bibs3
Reviewed 25 April 2006

Chenay Bay is a smaler family oriented resort. It is well situated in a bay so is sheltered from the prevailing easterly winds making it ideal for snorkeling right offshore, especially if you have small kids that don't like big waves. The staff was very friendly and the food was excellent. There is entertainment many nights per week too a big plus so you don't have to travel for it. The owners are very friendly and are constantly improving and willing to help in any way. We bought a timeshare and will be back!
The Kermath's