“a must do”

Ranked #9 of 112 things to do in St. Croix
Reviewed 2 November 2013

We loved it so much we would have done it twice if we had the time. The hike to the tide pools was a difficult because it had narrow paths and steep climbs. If you are not in shape or have children you may want to getca tan tan to take you. When we got to the tide pools there were two tan tans who were so nice and helpful and we weren't even their customers. The tide pools are beautiful rock formations. There werevalso great picture opportunities on the trail. The trail was shaded for the most part which was very helpful. We had so much fun this day. Definitely a highlight of our trip!

2  Thank 2377donna9
in 9 reviews
"jagged rocks"
"small rock"

Reviewed 9 October 2013

The hike wasn't bad. wear some swim shoes that are comfortable. I spent an hour just snorkeling along the walls of the tide pools. saw 2 brittlestars, tons of crabs and just amazing life, just under the surface. if you like lust looking at life-it is a blast.

1  Thank alyssabehr
Reviewed 3 September 2013

I am an crucian and had not been there while I lived on the island. However in the last three trips back home, I have taken my children to the tide pools. They started hiking as young as 4 (not recommended), and have always loved the hike and the pools. It is an all day affair. If you bring children on the hike, make sure they have good shoes and snacks. This is by far one of the can't miss adventures. I have always gone with a Local guide (aka a good family friend) who knows how to get over the boulders. I am not sure I would go with out him. The views from the trail are absolutely breath taking.

1  Thank cruzangurl33
Reviewed 25 August 2013

The Tan Tan jeep tour was spectacular - a jeep ride up the mountain - back down the other side and a small rock climb to the tide pool. A rare natural protected pool where the tide usually splashes over the rocks into the pool. Not very active seas the day we visited but still a beautiful setting and immense natural beauty.

See more reviews
Reviewed 14 August 2013

I hiked to Carmbola Tide Pools while a guest at the Renaissance St Croix, and after some initial struggles, had a fantastic time.

The hike itself isn't bad, but finding the trail head can be tricky. By "can be tricky," I mean "I walked twenty minutes straight uphill to the mountain ridge before realizing I was in the wrong place."

Here's my traveler's tip: Turn left just before the guardpost and find a place to park. Walk up the road until you come to a Y with a rocky cul de sac to your left and a brush-covered path to the right. Continue to the right for a couple yards and you'll end up back on a semi-paved wide pathway. Walk up this for maybe a hundred feet, keeping your eyes to the right, and you should see a dirt embankment with a little wooden sign about twenty feet up pointing left. I'm attaching pictures to this review. Go to the sign and follow the path. If you don't see it, if you keep walking up the small paved road... when you're winded, turn around and start again from the brush. It won't take long.

The path is an adventure - it's narrow and a little claustrophobic at times, but not difficult. And it's well-maintained enough that once you find it, it's self explanatory. Towards the end, you'll come to an open area with long grass... contrary to instinct, you'll be correct to go to the left (south, away from the coast - the way the trail seems to lead) but will follow a curved path down to a dirt road. Go right here and it will take you to the beach.

From the beach, you'll want to head left to the tide pools. Yes, you will need to do some light bouldering, and there are some miraculous tiny black crabs that match the volcanic rock and will try to terrify you. But inside the haven is heaven.

I was there at low tide and missed some of the wave "fireworks," but snorkeling was great and it felt very wild and isolated - just the treasure I was looking for after a long hike.

6  Thank John M