Renaissance St. Croix Carambola Beach Resort & Spa
Holger Danske Hotel(Christiansted)
Kings Alley Hotel(Christiansted)
Club Comanche(Christiansted)
  • Breakfast included
Hotel on the Cay(Christiansted)
  • Pool
1,279 results
All reviewsscreened in porchtidal poolsdive shopwalk in closetbuck islandvaulted ceilingssea urchinsfire dancersfull size refrigeratormarriott pointssecluded locationpirate buffetrental carnorth shorehuge bathroomdouble sinkssitting area
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 11 March 2014

If you are going to St Croix, this is the place to stay. From a location perspective, it could not be any better. The north west side of the island has the most rain, thus more lush. The east side is very hot and dry, few trees. The hotel beach is secluded and the views to the west are out of this world... no houses, just miles of green hillsides and cliffs to the ocean. We snorkeled off the beach and saw rays and an octopus, some fish, but not like Buck Island, a must see.

The pool is mediocre, and the hot tub is poor, low water level and uncomfortable. But we din't come to the beach to use the pool. The restaurant and food is also good, service is great. The buildings look like they have been there for a while and there is some weathering, but did not affect our stay at all.

I'm a platinum member of Marriott so got upgraded to a beach front room, which was also fantastic. They have screened poaches where my son slept, leaving his sister to the pull out couch, and we to a plush king bed.

In summary, if I had to go back to St Croix, I'd go back here.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Michael_WH7154EB
Reviewed 10 March 2014

Almost everything was truly wonderful at this resort. To start with, the location is perfect. It is located on a remote, isolated part of the island, tucked into a cove, surrounded by mountains. The grounds have beautiful tropical flowers and trees. The beach is small, but adequate, surf varied. There were nice, new beach chairs.
The resort was uncrowded, quiet, and relaxing.
The rooms were some of the nicest I've ever stayed in. All rooms are suites, with a living room, 2 TV's, kitchenette, giant walk-in closet, gigantic double vanity, and separate toilet and shower area. Shower was huge and had a seat. Only bad thing was that there wasn't a door to separate the shower/toilet area from the rest of the bathroom.
All rooms had a large screened porch to keep the bugs and critters away. There are many small lizards and mongoose roaming about. The thing I didn't like about the porches was that they didn't have a door to access the beach directly.. However, this would only be helpful on the oceanfront rooms. We thought the seats were a bit low and needed a little more padding.
The beds were very comfortable. The pillows were gigantic, but unfortunately weren't firm enough for me.
Our maid came promptly at 9AM every morning except one, and serviced our room while we were at breakfast.
The staff was always busy, keeping everything neat. All of the staff at the resort were very, very friendly. We have been to many resorts in the Caribbean, and can honestly say that the staff at this resort is the friendliest and quickest to respond that we've ever encountered in the Caribbean. ( They aren't on island time, as they say. )
The food choices were a bit limited if staying more than a few days.
About half of the menu was a bit odd. More variety is needed.
The Friday night pirate buffet was excellent! The crab legs were the best I've ever had!! Side dishes were also delicious. They really ought to have this all weekend. The show began with several fire dancing gypsies who gave an excellent performance! Then there were 3 mocko jumbies who really didn't do much but dance with the audience. Music for the show was WAY TOO LOUD!!! Otherwise, there was nightly entertainment by the bar, someone different every night. They all played at the perfect volume, and quit before it got too late.
To see the island you will need to rent a car at the airport, as they no longer have car rental on-site. I'd recommend a Jeep. There really isn't a lot to see. 2 days is plenty to see the sights.
Overall, the resort is a great place to get away and relax. We drove past the other hotels on the island and this one looked to be the nicest.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank HUSKERTRAVELER
Reviewed 9 March 2014 via mobile

I want so badly to be head over heels raving about this place. There are so many good things going for it. But so many things that need desperate improvement. It depends on your priorities. If you want a beautiful private place this is it. But beware you will also have to deal with your room not being cleaned each day, electricity going out intermittently. If you are flexible about these things this is a wondrously pretty property, staff are nice, it is more remote, so be aware of that.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Funtimes522
Nancy W, Director of Sales at Renaissance St. Croix Carambola Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 13 March 2014

Hello,
I'm sorry to hear you weren't head over heels about the resort! I'm surprised that you did not receive daily housekeeping as the rooms are supposed to be cleaned on a daily basis. This was an error and I do apologize. Sorry to hear as well that you experienced a power outage during your stay. Unfortunately that is not under our control...It doesn't happen very often, but when you are on an island, you have to deal with such inconveniences once in a while.
I hope you will visit other Marriott properties that you may find a better fit for you and thank you or taking the time to share your feedback with us, we do value hearing about your stay, the good and the bad.

Warmly,
Nancy Williams
Dir. of Sals

Reviewed 3 March 2014

It's taken me a while to write this review, but only because I've been on Island Time since our stay at Carambola. Given this brutal winter, we booked a spontaneous New Years trip and decided on the US Virgin Islands as my passport recently expired (shame on me, I know). It also looked like the best options were a Flight & Hotel package I found for either Carambola or the Buccaneer. I'm glad we chose the Renaissance, though, as it lives up to the Marriott standards. We really just wanted a beach, palm trees, a little adventure, and a lot of sunshine...well, we got all of these and more on our fabulous 4-day stay!

From the moment we arrived, we felt at ease and more than welcome. We were greeted by Jackie at the front desk with a smile and rum punch, and check-in was very smooth. My luggage got stuck in St. Thomas as we had to take a Cape Air connection and rather than waste time going back to the airport, the receptionist was kind enough to send a car to retrieve my bag. This was an "above and beyond" gesture to me, and my bag was waiting in our room when we returned after a walk on the beach/dinner at the hotel bar. I had a zesty shrimp salad and my boyfriend had a burger (a cheeseburger in paradise is mandatory). There were two local cats running around the outdoor tables and some people were rolling their eyes or shooing them away, but we thought they were really sweet. It felt like we were in someone's home.

In terms of accommodations, we had a lower level suite on the right wing of the resort if you're facing the water (room 44, maybe?) and my absolute favorite feature was the screened-in porch with cozy patio couches overlooking the palm trees and Caribbean sea just a stone's throw from our door. As other reviewers have noted, you can literally hear the waves crashing and feel the cool Caribbean breeze at night. You could also hear the Coqui frogs - aptly named for their high pitched "coqui" mating call - and that is probably the only negative note of our entire stay as they would croak for HOURS at night, between 2 and 6am. Aside from this, we slept very well and could solve the problem by just closing the inner doors to the porch. Our room had all of the usual appliances, i.e. coffee area, fridge, plates, etc. My boyfriend was very excited about the two large flatscreens in the room to follow the NCAA bowl games, but in the end we really only watched TV one night. Also, the bathrooms are HUGE and gorgeous with granite, clean tub and tile, and a separate walk-in closet area to store our things.

To celebrate the new year and just being in the islands, we found ourselves at the hotel bar quite a bit, whether grabbing a bucket of Caribe beers for the beach or sipping a pina colada while the reggae band played at night. We only noticed one person taking drink orders on the beach one day, but since this isn't an all-inclusive, commercial type place, we didn't expect that. I have to thank the super sweet hostess, Kishuana, for going out of her way to check on us several times/share some tips on the history and culture of St. Croix. We ran into her at the Pirate Buffet, too - highly recommend booking the buffet as this weekly event is a blast and totally worth it! We met another fun couple staying at Carambola and did the buffet together, which wound up being a fabulous party. The seafood paella was delicious, but I think the music/dancing/men on stilts were my favorite memories of the night on the Saman Room patio. The patio was also a great spot for breakfast, overlooking that spectacular view.

A few additional tips:
1) Definitely recommend renting a car since this end of the island is a bit remote. We rented a Wrangler and went "off-roading" one day through the rainforest on Scenic Rd. (I do not recommend this drive unless you have a Wrangler or an ATV). It was actually really fun, but dangerous as we had no cell service and the roads are really dicey.
2) Part of the hike to the tidal pools is a steep incline, so just wear sneakers...and socks as you may encounter rainforest ants along the way. It's really lovely once you get to the rocky beach on the other end. We brought water, snacks, sunblock, and bug spray, which came in handy!
3) Check out Big Beard's Snorkel tours in Christiansted. The full day outing is $100/pp and the crew takes you to snorkel in an underwater National Park (Buck Island Reef) as well as an island for lunch where they grill burgers, dogs, and fish - bottomless rum punch and water, too!
4) Favorite off-resort restaurants were Off the Wall at Cane Bay for lunch and Rhythms at Rainbow Beach for sunset dinner. I also wanted to try Waves and EAT at Cane Bay - next time!

Room Tip: The second floor rooms have higher ceilings, but the first floor is a closer walk to the hammocks
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
8  Thank Samantha D
Nancy W, Director of Sales at Renaissance St. Croix Carambola Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 5 March 2014

Hello and thank you so much for your very detailed review. Sounds like you had some great adventures and that we were a perfect fit for what you were looking for. You mention our rooms as 'Suite", actually ALL our rooms are this same size and layout (And have 2 flatscreens!) They are really a 'wow' when you are expecting a regular sized hotel room.
I sometimes use ear plugs if I'm not interested in hearing the mating calls of the frogs...good news is it's seasonal!!

Thanks again for taking the time to write such a delightful review and I hope you will visit us again,

Warmly,
Nancy Williams
Director of Sales

Reviewed 27 February 2014

We booked the Carambola resort for our wedding which took place on 22Feb14.
Working with the coordinator, Ann Wienhiemer, was great and she and the resort went way over the top to make it a special event for us. We were married on the beach and had a beach dinner after the wedding. It was a small wedding with only my wife’s sister and cousin with us.
I cannot say enough about the Ann and how the staff treated us and the things they did to make the day a very special day.
We had ocean view, second floor room which I suggest due to the vaulted ceilings. Food was good, the sales staff, Ann and the Jackie at the front lobby where absolutely the best.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple