Renaissance St. Croix Carambola Beach Resort & Spa
Ranked #3 of 16 Hotels in St. Croix
Reviewed 23 April 2014

My husband and two teenage daughters and I just returned from a weeklong trip- we would return in a heartbeat!!!! I cannot believe some of the negative reviews. We found the staff and the property to be wonderful! We had excellent service at the registration from all staff members, especially Pearl. After being served rum punch we were offered golf cart service to our rooms. The staff helped load our bags and all of the groceries we had purchased along the way. We had two beachfront rooms. One was booked on points as an island view and the resort upgraded the room to beachfront to be near our other room . I am not sure if this is because we have Marriott Gold status. The rooms were literally about 30 steps from the beach! I would definitely recommend the beachfront rooms if you spend most of your time on the beach- very convenient- but I am sure all of the rooms were nice. Each room had a great screened in porch. The rooms were very nice and spacious. The beach was beautiful, the water was warm, and the surf was fun to swim in. We never had a problem finding beach or pool chairs at any time of day. There was often an attendant at a little beach bar stand - you could order drinks from the bar, or purchase beer, water, or soda right there. However, being so close to our room we could also run in for drinks. We enjoyed the hike to the tidal pools- we went twice! The first 5-10 minutes were the hardest- wear good shoes. We only ate the restaurant at the hotel twice. The first night was at the regular restaurant, and it was ok. We much preferred taking the car 5 minutes down the road to Rowdy Joes, Above the Cliff, and Eat @ Cane Bay. All of these were amazing! The second time we ate at the hotel was for the Friday night Pirate Buffett. It was very pricey, but the food was great, and we requested outdoor seating and had a front row view of the fire dancing gypsies and the Moko Jumbies that performed that night. Amazing performers. My husband and daughter did the scuba class / dive with Sweet Bottom. They raved about it! We also went horseback riding with Cowboy Steve- great experience- and had a lot of fun on the half day snorkel trip to Buck Island on the Big Beard charter. All in all, this was a wonderful, wonderful place to stay. Our kids loved it. There were quite a few families when we were there., as well as couples, groups of friends on diving trips, and even a small wedding party. Last year we stayed at Scrub Island in the BVI- a category 8. While this is hotel is a category 6 Marriott, we had just as good of a time, and were very impressed with the accommodations , staff, and natural beauty of the island. We will be back!

Room Tip: We had rooms 265 and 266- great beachfront location all the way on the end of the property!
6  Thank Rohr239

Reviewed 22 April 2014

My Husband and I went here for our 1 year anniversary. We were looking for a quiet place to relax and this was perfect. The beach was beautiful and clean. The women working the front desk were very helpful as well as the pool cabana girl but the rest of the staff was on island time (we didn't mind as we weren't in a hurry). I would recommend renting a car if you don't want to be too isolated. We loved eating around town and exploring the island. I am not sure i would have enjoyed staying on the resort the whole time. We went in September (the off season) so it was pretty dead on the island which made the resort a little spooky at night because there were so few guests staying. I wouldn't recommend this hotel in the off season for families but it's great for couples just looking to relax.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank KatieNass
Reviewed 22 April 2014

Save your money as I would not advise booking your vacation here. The service is horrible! Just returned a few days ago, and would not return to this hotel. It's as though the staff have no training whatsoever. It takes forever to get your meal, to get ice, to get a valet for your luggage. Not indicative of a higher star rated hotel. Sadly disappointed!!

1  Thank Lynn G
Nancy W, Director of Sales at Renaissance St. Croix Carambola Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 23 April 2014

Hi Lynn,
Thank you for taking the time to tell us of your less than stellar visit to our resort. The staff is having a meeting right now to review your comments and find out how we could have fallen so short of the expected service level. The training for our staff is on-going and we generally get excellent feedback, but I appreciate that your experience was not good and on behalf of the entire staff I humbly apologize as there is no excuse for so many service issues.
I hope you will consider trying another Marriott or Renaissance property if you do travel to the Caribbean again. We have fantastic properties on many other islands including St. Thomas, St. Kitts, Cayman and Aruba. If you should decide to pay us another visit...pls. reach out to me and I would be delighted to assist in making sure you have a perfect stay.
Director of Sales
nwilliams@carambolabeach.com

Reviewed 21 April 2014

The service at this resort was extremely slow. It is a 3 hour painful dining
experience. The hotel guest bathroom was filthy. I waited over two hours to get ice. I couldn't find bell staff to bring my luggage to my room. The hotel room pictures on the web are deceiving.

Room Tip: Not at this place!
8  Thank Sasnet F
Nancy W, Director of Sales at Renaissance St. Croix Carambola Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 24 April 2014

Ouch...we're smarting from your review...As you can see from variety of reviews we have listed, we generally have very happy clients...but Perception is Reality so the time it took for you to have ice delivered to your room and slow service in the restaurant is certainly not acceptable. I hope you are a Marriott/Renaissance fan and will visit other properties that may be more to your liking. On behalf of our staff we sincerely apologize for the issues you encountered. Should you want to give us another try...please let me know and I will ensure your stay is more of what you had envisioned.
Director of Sales
Nwilliams@carambolabeach.com

Reviewed 10 April 2014

I really wanted to love this place, so I'll start with the positive. This would be a very good place for a couple looking for quiet and privacy in a beautiful, lush setting. The grounds are gorgeous and well maintained. The beach and the water were beautiful. They have a very nice pool. The rooms were very nice and we enjoyed the screened in porch. The people at the front desk were pleasant and efficient. Before I get to the negatives, I'd highly suggest renting a car because you are isolated here, and you want to get to all the great beach bars and restaurants, like Eat @ Cane Bay, Rowdy Joe's, and You are Here, in town. The negatives were, worn furniture in the room, our bed collapsed when we first got there, and when we were moved, nobody even offered to help my wife or daughter with their luggage. We weren't even offered a free drink for our inconvenience. All the rest of the help were unfriendly and uncaring. The Carambola actually has a reputation for lousy staff on the rest of the island. One final thing; because there were no kids or other families around while we were there, the place seemed to lack any fun, excitement or laughter. We would consider going back if it was just my wife and I, but the workers were really a turn off.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
5  Thank RetFireman
Nancy W, Director of Sales at Renaissance St. Croix Carambola Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 14 April 2014

Hello and thank you very much for taking the time to write a review and tell us about The Good and The Bad.
We're happy to hear that you did enjoy most of your stay, but I'm terribly sorry that the situation with your broken bed wasn't handled as it should have been. Sincere apologizes for the lack of assistance you received. A complimentary cocktail certainly would have been in order. If you and your wife do choose to visit us again, please let me know so I can make sure we take good care of you.

Director of Sales & Marketing
nwilliams@carambolabeach.com

Reviewed 9 April 2014

Travelling with a 18 month old, I wanted a place with its own private beach, safe, not too crowded and self contained so that we could stay put at the resort. The Renaissance was just that. The beach was lovely, uncrowded, and had coral reefs right off the shore for some decent snorkeling. The rooms were studio apartments, with a full kitchen. I suggest making your own breakfast to save some money.

The staff was very friendly and were very responsive in helping us fix the lock on our room door, which kept locking us out of our room.

The slowness room service was the only negative comment I would make about this place.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank JDastur
Reviewed 9 April 2014

My wife and I spent a week at the Renaissance Carambola resort and absolutely LOVED our stay there. This is not a "hotel". The rooms are actually like large studio condos. Ours had a small but well equipped kitchen, a sofa/desk/tv area, a magically comfortable king bed with another TV and incredible ocean view, a screened in lanai where we spent several evenings reading, surfing the net, and listening to the waves crash on the beach, and a massive bathroom with a 10 foot long double granite vanity and a huge walk-in shower. There is a large walk-in closet in the bathroom as well. The grounds of the resort are very well maintained, and the beach is fantastic. In fact, if you have ever seen the Eddie Murphy/Dan Akroyd movie "Trading Places", the very last scene of that movie was filmed at Davis Bay, which is where this resort is. We stayed in a "beach front" unit, which is directly behind the actual nice swimming beach. The "ocean front" units are a few hundred yards away and are not next to the beach. The resort is very well run, the staff are friendly and helpful, and the pool and hot tub is fine. We only ate a few meals there, and found the food to be decent, but nothing special. Typical resort fare, but nothing to write home about. We made a point of always eating at the local restaurants on the island, and there are some good ones at Cane Bay, just a 7 minute drive away. We also hit local stores for fruit, great rum, and other munchies since there is a full size refer and that small kitchen there. Speaking of driving, this resort is VERY secluded on the north shore, and unless you plan on never leaving the resort, you will want to rent a car. Good luck finding your way around! Street signs are optional, and your GPS is worthless there. Still, we eventually found our way around, although we did get completely lost several times. Anyway, to sum up, we loved this resort and we will be back! I could almost live in one of the "rooms", which again are probably 600 sq ft studio condos. There is plenty of room to stretch out, and at night, the lanai is a wonderful place to chill out with a bottle of local rum...

Room Tip: I think we were in 156, which was a more expensive beach front unit, literally 30 feet away from the...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple