“Truly excellent stay”

Ranked #3 of 16 Hotels in St. Croix
Silver Spring, Maryland
“Truly excellent stay”
Reviewed 18 June 2014

I've been remiss about writing a review of my stay at the Carambola on May 8-11, 2014. Stem to stern, my stay was excellent. I read some earlier concerns about the quality of customer service, and I can say unreservedly that my experience was outstanding (and I consider myself an experienced traveler, particularly having visited Caribbean islands numerous times). From the minute I stepped on the manicured property, I was met with smiles and friendliness. Whether it was front desk representatives, wait staff in the restaurants, housekeeping staff, or room service attendants, everyone seemed to bend over backwards to make sure I was having a great stay. Restaurant staff members were particularly friendly, engaging me in conversation and constantly asking if I had everything I needed. One particularly memorable waitress was proud to tell me that some of the local dishes I said I enjoyed were similar to what she prepared in her own home. I even received phone calls to my room at least once a day, just checking to see if there was anything I needed to enjoy my stay more. My room was neat, clean and well appointed. And, one comment about the rooms you will find rare: I believe all rooms have a quite large, screened-in patio. What a great place to relax! Unfortunately there was a lot of rain during my stay, but I was still able to sit on my balcony, relax, and enjoy the sounds of crashing waves. I won't soon forget being able to go to sleep at night and wake in the morning to the soothing ocean sounds. If your goal in a vacation is to get away and simply relax, this is made for you. I'd also mention that I found the price a great value for such an experience. Thank you to the staff for making my stay just the relaxing time I very much needed!

Room Tip: If you choose a second floor room, you will be able to leave the patio doors open and enjoy the soun...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Thomas M

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (480)
Goldsboro, North Carolina
Reviewed 15 June 2014

First things first with the resort being so far from the airport, you need to rent a car!! We made Budget reservations in advance. It's hard to find the resort at night. Our GPS didn't pick up anything on the island. Luckily a nice lady led us to the resort! She was an angel that night! The rooms are very spacious and I was so happy that the bathrooms had double sinks!! I loved the screened in lanai(if that's how it's spelled). The shower was huge! There was also a nice sitting area and 2 flat screens in the room. I was glad to see a microwave and fridge. Which brings me to the food at the resort. The restaurants are crazy expensive. Like I mentioned earlier it's best to get a rents car. That way you can drive to the markets and get food for your room to save money. We did the couples aromatherapy and hot stone massage. It was Excellent!! The grounds of this resort is spectacular! It's a beautiful place that has a private beach! I was defiantly in awe!!!! My husband and i will be visiting again! Oh and they have a great staff! Best I've seen in my 33 years on earth!

Room Tip: Get a rental car to explore the island and try the local cuisine.
3 Thank geach80
Clearwater, Florida
Reviewed 15 June 2014

We have been going to Carambola very year since 2008, even had our wedding there in 2010. Over the years, this resort has had a few bumps, but I have to tell you about our stay May 7th - 15th 2014. Check-in: Fast, friendly 5 star! Room: Clean, friendly service and remodeled to perfection! Food: Some of the best I have ever had and Joan our server, she's like a family member to us. Grounds....breath taking and well maintained! This was by far, the best we have ever seen this resort fun from the staff to the rooms, and what can we say about the beach....PERFECT!!! Great job to the GM Rick for running this like a well oiled machine!! WE WILL BE BACK!!! By the way....rent a Jeep and have all the freedom you need and see the rest of St Croix!!

Room Tip: Beach view on the 2nd floor is the best!!
1 Thank NYNYDJED
Reviewed 10 June 2014

Get to know the staff first and foremost! They will point you in all the right directions! Bar staff and especially Andrew the mgr!! As far as taxi or rental don't bother ask the concierge for Mark with the white van 8 passenger, he will not only take you anywhere you want to go but will wait for you while he watches movies on his laptop or arrange a pick up time after your done! Ask Mgmt for private dinner in the beach cabana they don't charge extra but I encourage a good tip as the service has to bring everything to the beach! Again ask for Andrew he will arrange everything! I am a Marriott/Renissance member and by far the best service "IF" you get to know the staff REMEMBER your on island time so relax and know service is slow because THEY don't want you to be in a rush unless you request it rushed! Going back for Thanksgiving Weekend reccomend to everyone!

• Stayed November 2013
3 Thank Touch123
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed 10 June 2014

I could've sworn I wrote a review for our trip last summer, but I can't find any evidence of actually having done so. We stayed for two nights in May last year on a side trip from our vacation to Vieques, PR. Flew in on Seaborn Airlines from VQS to STX, rented a car, stayed at Carmbola, and had a wonderful time.

I won't be able to speak to details as it was awhile ago, but the big picture is that this is a VERY nice property, and I will consider staying here again if we ever venture back to STX.

The restaurant was excellent, the drinks were strong, and we learned what a "floater" was when we saw our 151 on the top of our painkiller! The pool was excellent, and the room and view were to die for.

The only negative I recall were some roaches living in the shower. Given the tropical location, that's to be expected at ANY island property. They quickly disappeared though. Did I mention the room was fantastic?

It was our first visit ever to a "resort" property, and it did not disappoint. It was also quite the contrast to our Vieques visit. Also, a HUGE kudos to the staff. They were excellent all around.

I would highly recommend this property be at the top of your list if you're looking for that relaxing vibe and tropical feel, but still want a little bit of luxury.

Room Tip: Spend the extra $$ and get a beach or ocean view room. It's worth it.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ifontaine
Nancy W, Director of Sales at Renaissance St. Croix Carambola Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 11 June 2014
Better late than never!! Very happy to hear that you had such a great time with us. Brave of you to indulge in one our famous "Painkiller's with a 151 Rum floater...the rum definitely flows in St. Croix! I will share your review with our whole team as they love to get feedback from our guests. I hope you will return for another visit!

Warm regards,
Nancy Williams
Director of Sales
Normal, Illinois
Reviewed 9 June 2014

Our family just returned from St. Croix. Prior to leaving, I read quite a few reviews. Most are accurate, a few are just wrong. First, most importantly, unless you want to sit on the same beach and eat the same food, rent a car. We split half and half. Car rentals will deliver to the hotel and pick up as well. There is no taxi service to speak of. This hotel is far away from civilization. Second, the restaurant was the biggest disappointment of the resort. The selection of the food items is very poor and limited. The Pirates buffet is not at all worth it. And, stay away from Joan. Worst server. She argued - yes, literally argued - with us when we ordered food. She was terrible.

Rooms, very nice. If you like the sound of the ocean, request an ocean front room. Be advised, the waves are loud. If you're a light sleeper, request a room away from the beach. Try to stay as west of the resort as possible. That's the best and only beach to swim in.

Many of the people are friendly. From what we gathered, the people of St. Croix are shy and reserved. Most of them said hi and were very helpful.

The beach was a bit of a disappointment. At least half, if not more, is unusable. It's rocky and signs posted to stay out. The west end is very nice though. The snorkeling off this beach is outstanding. The amount of fish 50 yards off shore is amazing. Make sure you snorkel. It's worth the $14 they charge.

The only activities for kids was the Friday Night Pirates Buffet. Don't waste your time. It's expensive and the food is so-so. I was very suprised to see the lack of sea food on the menus.

Overall a very nice resort. It's not as bad as a few people say it is.

Room Tip: If you like loud waves, get as close to the ocean as possible. Also, try and get a west end room...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank SLHETH
Thanks very much for your 'honest review'. We appreciate feedback good and bad. I agree about renting a car. The island is spread out so it's nice to have a car to visit some of the various historic areas, restaurants and shops. I find the majority of our guests do choose to rent a car. Sorry you weren't thrilled with the Pirates Buffet...usually a winner!

Thanks again for your review, our staff really values the feedback from our guests.

Warm regards,
Nancy Williams
Director of Sales
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 8 June 2014

The rooms were very nice, we had our own screened in porch to sit on at night and look towards the water. The staff was amazing, Pearl, Christine, Alex and the others. All had great suggestions on things to see, do and places to eat. This was on our honeymoon also so Tiffany Camacho had a bottle of champagne and chocolate covered strawberries delivered to our room with a nice little card. When we did eat at the restaurants on site our waiters would do their best to sit us so we could watch the sunset on the beach. Plenty of parking for rental cars and since it was a bit of a walk to the rooms from the lot and we would be carrying big bags of souvenirs if Alex would see us he would drive by in the golf cart, pick us up and shuttle us back to our room.