Our family just returned from eight days at the Renaissance Carambola. What a wonderful resort!! Nestled in a little valley, surrounded by the hills of the rain forest and a crescent of beautiful beach along the Caribbean sea, the location is absolutely gorgeous! We never tired of the view from the hilltop as you drive in or out! That being said, be aware that this resort is quite secluded. There are several good restaurants within 10-15 minutes but you WILL definitely need a car unless you don't plan to leave the resort - which you would be quite happy doing, but with so much to see and do on St. Croix you'll probably want to get a car!
We were greeted at check in with rum punch and refreshing lime water in the lobby. The grounds are gorgeous and immaculately maintained. The beach is secluded and BEAUTIFUL and the pool was never crowded. They had a little trouble keeping up with clean towels but nothing that was unmanageable. Hey, you're on vacation surrounded by the beautiful, lush rain forest and the Caribbean sea... if you have to wait a bit for a towel, just sit back and enjoy the scenery!
The resort is made up of numerous buildings, each containing 5-6 "rooms", which adds to the very private and secluded feel of this resort. Our family had two of the three rooms on the second floor of one building. I don't think we ever saw anyone else coming or going from the other rooms even though they were occupied; it was just so private! The rooms themselves are really more like villas, each one having a main living area, a kitchenette, a nice-sized bedroom, a LARGE bathroom and a lovely screened-in porch. If you can, request a second floor room; these rooms have beautiful wooden vaulted ceilings that add to the openness and ambiance of the British-colonial decor. The rooms are very well-appointed and I was impressed that along with the standard room features (coffee pot, blow dryer, iron, robes) they also thought to include convenient little amenities like mosquito repellent and umbrellas! My favorite feature of the rooms was the gorgeous and relaxing screened in patio ~ our family spent many hours relaxing out there, playing cards, having breakfast, and taking naps with the sights and sounds of the ocean and rain forest right outside. Also so convenient were the kitchenettes! We went to the grocery store the first day and stocked our full-size refrigerator with drinks, snacks, and breakfast items. With a two-burner cook top, a small dishwasher and a microwave, the kitchen was functional enough to accommodate all of our breakfasts, a few lunches and even a simple dinner or two for our family of five. That really helps the budget as it's quite expensive to eat-out there!
Speaking of dining out, we only ate at the restaurant one night... for the Friday night buffet and show. While the buffet was very extensive and quite good, I felt it was a little expensive ($45 per person, NO drinks included - not even alcohol-free drinks) and probably would have enjoyed a meal at one of the many gourmet restaurants on the island more for the money we spent. We mainly went to the buffet for the show (moko jumbies & fire dancers) which we later figured out any guest could watch on the patio without dining at the restaurant. TIP: Skip the buffet but definitely go to the Friday show ~ it's a little cheesy but it's essentially free (bring tip money for the performers) and worth a walk over!
There is NO QUESTION that if we return to St. Croix we would most definitely stay at this resort again!! I would highly recommend it for both couples and families!! Enjoy...
ON A SIDE NOTE: There is a great dive shop conveniently located on-site. Please also see my review of the Sweet Bottom Dive Shop!! We had some great lessons and dives with them!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Discover a tropical oasis at Renaissance St. Croix Carambola Beach Resort & Spa. Our resort in St. Croix, US Virgin Islands offers a one-of-a-kind luxury setting within the foothills of a lush tropical rainforest. We sit only steps away from the pristine sands of Estate Davis Bay and our oceanfront resort offers easy access to many exhilarating outdoor activities in St. Croix. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Kognitiv US Corp, Expedia, TripOnline SA, getaroom.com, Hotels.com, Ebookers, Evoline ltd, HotelsClick, Cancelon, HotelQuickly and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Renaissance St. Croix Carambola Beach Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Renaissance St. Croix Carambola Beach Resort And Spa
- Renaissance St. Croix Carambola Beach Hotel St. Croix
- Carambola Beach Hotel
- Carambola Beach Resort
- Renaissance St. Croix Carambola Beach Resort & Spa U.S. Virgin Islands