“2nd Trip to Buccaneer in 4 Months”

The Buccaneer St Croix
Ranked #1 of 14 Hotels in Christiansted
Portersville, Pennsylvania
“2nd Trip to Buccaneer in 4 Months”
Reviewed 28 April 2013

We were fortunate enough to make what was actually our third trip to St. Croix in 10 months in April. Our son was married at the Carambola in June. I didn't feel like a got the "full vacation" with all the wedding stuff so just my husband and I went in January. Now I have no excuse, but being very luck and just a bit spoiled, to return again in April with my parents in tow. Rebecca was a huge help in getting our trip set up. Despite my parents health issues, we had a wonderful time. Although we have made many trips since or first in 1999 to St. Croix, my parents never wanted to stay at the Buccaneer. Frankly we usually travel in a pack of about 12 so the budget usually was more towards a condo to accommodate our group. My Mom is now sold. I knew she would be. We booked a great house room and was lucky enough to get upgraded to ocean front. I have to say I enjoyed the greathouse view and location better, but with my parents this was much easier to get her to the beach. I housekeeping was better and friendlier at the greathouse too. We have absolutely no complaints for our overall experience. Dinner at the Terrace for my Mom's 65th birthday was very special and delicious. The waitresses at breakfast knew my Dad only liked one type of tea and he never had to ask after the first day. The cooked to order eggs and omelets were great. Enjoyed the Managers Party, Ms. Armstrong's nature and history walk and a tour of the new beach house. Now if it was just in the budget, I know of a place to fit our large family group. We can dream I guess. Love all the waitresses and bartenders. Especially Larry who spent a great day golfing with us. The resort was pretty slow the week we were there which was nice for us, but hard for the staff and managers I am sure. My Mom and I went up for a cooking demo one afternoon and we were the only two there, so it was cancelled and Benjamin set us up all by ourselves at the bar which was very sweet of him. I can't wait to return. I'm already secretly planning my return.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (399)
Los Angeles
Reviewed 27 April 2013

Traveling with a wheelchair and booking the lowest-budget package I could find, I was leery of what our accommodations would consist of. Upon check-in, our fears evaporated when the front desk clerk walked us to our room...a two room, two bathroom suite with outstanding ocean views from the large terrace, a walk-in closet, a separate dressing area, refrigerator, two flat screen TVs, and a DVD player. The accessible bathroom had a tub with shower chair (no roll-ins) and a shower on a hose.

The breakfast buffet was outstanding, far more than ordinary, as someone else said here. No, they don't have an omelet "station," but cooked to order omelets (and any other breakfast items you can desire) are available by just asking your server. Go ahead, put them to the challenge. I did and never had a problem.

Service was top-notch and friendly. The concierge was always available to give us a hand trying to find attractions and tours we could take with the wheelchair. Even the owner was never too far away and frequently stopped by to ask how how we were doing and if we needed anything special.

An example was when we went to the laundry room at the bottom of the hill and the change machine wasn't working. A call on the house phone to the front desk resulted in a bellman being dispatched with a load of quarters to change for our dollars withing 5 minutes.

The beaches were beautiful and uncrowded, your typical dreamy tropical stretch of sand with a cool cocktail ready to be served at a moment's notice. Of the two main beaches, we preferred the beach at Mermaid but the Grotto beach was very nice too, plus it also had a pool.

Dinner at the Terrace was very good. It's a bit on the expensive side, as are most of the islands best dining rooms. Food at the bar and the Mermaid beach was a bit more reasonable. Still expensive compared to the mainland, but on par with what is available in town.

If you're staying in the great house on top of the hill, it's a long, steep walk down to the beach but shuttles are constantly taking guests back and forth.

The grounds are gorgeous and feature historic buildings and artifacts. The administrative building was built in the 1600s. Our room was 280 years old...of course, it's been remodeled a few times since then. The ruin of an old sugar mill is adjacent to the great house and is the scene of a weekly happy hour.

That happy hour (Tuesday nights) is hosted by the owner of the hotel, Elizabeth Armstrong, who makes a point to introduce herself to each guest personally. A steel drum musician and Moku Jumbie dancers on tall stilts entertain while guests sip complementary rum punches and wine.

Ms. Armstrong also hosts a walk each Wednesday morning pointing out the historic features of the property as well as the flora and fauna. We saw a mongoose, iguanas, and many varieties of birds on the walk.

Since it's a hilltop property, the views over nearby Christiansted are heavenly, especially when watching the sun set over the town while being serenaded by musicians in the lounge.

I have no regrets after visiting the Buccaneer. It's one of the world's great, historic hotels and lives up to it's billing as one of the top hotels in the Caribbean.

Room Tip: Ask for an ocean view.
2 Thank heckonwheels
St. Croix
Reviewed 25 April 2013

First let me say that I am an owner of a vacation rental villa on St. Croix for over 14 years. In all these years, this was our first stay at the Buccaneer Hotel. We have been to the property many times for lunch and dinner, but never as an overnight guests. Our property was booked for part of our stay on St Croix...we needed a 4 night stay before getting into our villa.

The hotel is great and is in a great location on the island. Our beachfront room was very nice, clean and very well maintained. The staff is friendly and very accommodating.The expansive grounds are beautifully maintained and the beaches are very nice! We loved having breakfast at the Terrace restaurant each morning, with it's amazing, sweeping views of the Caribbean Sea and Christiansted in the distance. We were a little disappointed with the breakfast buffet...very ordinary and no omelet station. If we had one suggestion it would be to add an omelet station. Be sure to have dinner there or just a couple of cocktails at the bar. The sunsets and the twinkling lights of Christiansted from high up in the restaurant are awesome.

We played golf on their course and had a great time. It has a couple of holes with amazing views of the Caribbean Sea. As resort courses go in the Caribbean, this one is pretty nice. Because of the lack of plentiful fresh water on the island, they have to rely on rainfall for the fairways. As a result, the entire course is "cart path only", which can be a pain and slow down the pace of play.

If we didn't own our own place on the island, we definitely would stay at the Buccaneer more often! We will be back when we need a couple of nights again!

Reviewed 25 April 2013 via mobile

My husband and I recently visited st.croix for a 10days vacation, we stayed at the divi carina bay resort and were promised so much fun by the lady that works at resavations over the phone.

Our first 2 days at the hotel we didn't feel like being on vacation everything was avarage, nothing special so we decided to explore the island, we went to The Buccaneer for a beach day after being told by the taxi driver they had one of the best beaches on island. The taxi driver was absolutely spot on. The views alone driving to the beach was well worth the $4 dollars at the gate.

On the beach it was easy to tell we choose the wrong hotel to stay in by looking at all the smiles on the faces of everyone around us... The beach was filled with lounge chairs and had plenty of shade from several palm trees.

My husband only wanted to relax but i was up for exploring, i saw some of the other guest going around a hill, i became curious about what was around there so i went to take a look, about half way there i was stuck on the edge of a Clift bleeding because the dirt track was so hot and i had no shoes on, i also had about 3 splinters in my feet but out of nowhere came Cj the beach lifeguard in a golf cart asking if i needed any help. He gave me a ride back to his station got his first aid kit an patched me all up, then asked what was my room number, i told him i was not staying there so he followed me back to my husband, he asked what was i doing up on the dirt track an i told him an he asked if i still wanted to see what was around there an he took me back around in the golf cart. The view from that hill is simply amazing.... I couldn't thank that young man enough. Not many people would of done that knowing i wasn't staying at the hotel. (Little things make a big difference)

The next day my husband and i left divi carina bay resort and checked into The Buccaneer for the rest of our vacation and that's when our vacation started.. Everyone was soo nice and willing to help, from lidia at the front desk, ortiz the bell man, tammy and eva at the mermaid restaurant, patrick who's always checking to make sure everything is going well. The service was the best you could ever ask for.... I would definitely recommend this place to my friends!!

• Stayed April 2013
Taastrup, Denmark
Reviewed 24 April 2013

My wife and I had 9 wonderfull nights visiting The Buccaneer i Christiansted.
Not a room but at suite in the Great House with nothing less than 2 bathrooms, seperate bedroom and livingroom. A terrace 8 X 4 meter or so I believe with oceanview.
Extreemly friendly and police employees always with a smile and a pleasant comment.
For people like us who like to excersize The Buccaneer has a fantastic and scenic jogging trail. Almost always you'll meet large iguanas. Like the one that was sneeking below my wifes sunbed.

Room Tip: Its possible to have some ok payable food in the adjecent "restaurant" / the bar. The only...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
Lexington, South Carolina
Reviewed 24 April 2013

I recently visited St. Croix on business and had the privilege of staying at The Buccaneer. The entire staff -- from maintenance to wait staff to concierge to bartenders -- were awesome. Even though time moves slowing in The Islands, I couldn't have asked for better service. Everyone was always smiling and seemed to really enjoy what they were doing. They take pride in their property. The grounds were beautiful. The accommodations were first rate. The view and scenery was awe inspiring. Hopefully I am luck enough to go back and enjoy my stay as a tourist!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
Middletown, DE
Reviewed 23 April 2013

We went to St Croix for a long weekend to attend the annual Food and Wine Experience. We only spent 3 nights, but we enjoyed the hotel. There are multiple accommodation choices. We had an ocean front room in one of the newer buildings. Upon arrival we were immediately greeted, and promptly checked in. We were offered rum punch or water. Shuttle service is provided, as the accommodations are spread out, and the property is hilly. We did not partake in many of the available amenities as we were not there very long, but there was plenty to choose from -- tennis, pool, 3 beaches, spa, 18 hole golf course, 3 restaurants, daily activities, etc. Rooms were spacious and clean. Would definitely return.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Christiansted
Tamarind Reef Resort, Spa & Marina
The Palms at Pelican Cove
The Palms at Pelican Cove
#2 of 14 in Christiansted
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,103 reviews

Been to The Buccaneer St Croix? Share your experiences!