“Lovely Christmas Day visit!”

The Buccaneer St Croix
Ranked #1 of 14 Hotels in Christiansted
Carbondale, Illinois
“Lovely Christmas Day visit!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 January 2014

We didn't stay here, but visited the beach and restaurant on Christmas Day. Lunch in the beachside restaurant was very enjoyable, while the teenager in our group swam in the sea and enjoyed the beach, then joined us to eat. All in all a delightful afternoon.Christmas in the sunshine and well looked after!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank AlliC

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (394)
Frederiksberg, Denmark
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 January 2014

We stayed at the Buccaneer Hotel for 9 nights, wich for us was a bit too long due to bad weather and nothing to do during the rain.
At check-in we were offered drinks, and accepted a rum punch, which was delicious. Our room was not ready on arrival so we had time to enjoy our punch.
The room was very beautiful big and clean. But the sheets and towels were old and some of the sheets even had wholes. The room was right at the beach with a beautiful view.
The hotel grounds are beautiful.
The hotel has a few restaurants, The food is expensive and the staff expects you to tip minimum 20%. At Breakfast wich is included in the room price the staff say breakfast is free you just need to sign meaning give us a 20% tip for pouring coffe wich i think is too much when the hotel also adds 10 % service charge to the room price.
The entertainment music is very loud and some evenings we had to shout to each other.
The hotel has three nice beaches and you can borrow kayaks, snorkling gear to explore the beaches. We expected to be able to walk into town but due to the bad conditions of the roads and no side walks we had to take a taxi every time we wanted to go some where. The taxi drivers were very nice and informative.
One thing we found very strange was the fact that the locks on our hotel doors were changed without notice. We had to go to the frontdesk to get new keys. I think we should have been notified before they changed the locks..
All in all we had a nice stay appart from trouble with rain and other minor details.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank UnTjus
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 January 2014

This resort is less than ten minutes driving time from downtown Christiansted. The grounds are beautifully landscaped, and views are spectacular from just about anywhere on the property.
At check-in we were offered drinks, and I accepted a rum punch, which was delicious. Upon entering our room, we found a welcome basket, which included a bottle of wine, cheese and crackers, fruit, and miscellaneous snack items.

Our room was on the second floor of the main building, which is situated at the highest point of the property overlooking the grounds and Mermaid Beach. It included a balcony, with two chairs and a chaise. Curiously, the bathroom was positioned on the beach-facing side of the room, so the balcony and picture window were smaller than they might have been with a more logical design. The room itself was larger than a typical hotel room, with beautiful marble flooring and nice furniture. The bedding was acceptable, but not the quality expected of a fine resort. The bathroom was also very large, with two sinks, plenty of counter space, and an open shower. The open shower design was attractive, but not very functional, as the floor outside was soaked after each shower use.

Overall, the accommodations are nice, but a bit tired. The electrical fixtures, thermostat and bathroom fixtures were outdated. The bedding, as well, is in need of an update. The mattress was bouncy, and the bedspread old fashioned. Public areas are also somewhat dated. The whole establishment should be updated. Nevertheless, I recommend this hotel as the grounds and views are amazing, the accommodations acceptable, and the entire resort was clean and adequately maintained.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank GatorMills
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 January 2014

I stayed at the Buccaneer about five years and I must admit I was impressed back then. I returned again a couple of weeks ago for four nights and I was rather disappointed this time around. All in all, i just do not see how they can justify the prices they charge.

The main draw is that the property grounds go on for ever and consequently the views are just heavenly. However the rooms are nothing special and mine was definitely showing signs of age. It was not even that clean! (There was this lock of hair that I saw in the bathroom on the first night and it was still there on the fourth day!). There were also bugs stuck in the glass of the picture frames. The windows could do with some washing and some rusty light fittings could do with replacing (see photo).

i also found it extremely weird that a hotel of this calibre (and with these prices!) would not provide robes and slippers for its guests. In addition the furnishings were extremely dated.

However the vistas are to die for!! The Buccaneer is truly blessed in this regard.

The buffet breakfast was not that impressive either and it also felt odd hearing the restaurant staff say over and over and over again "Your breakfast is free, all you have to pay is gratuities".

Although one evening, they did have a nice "meet the other guests" event with wine & hors d'oeuvres which was a nice touch.

Sadly I would have to pass on the Buccaneer if I ever return to St Croix - magnificent views notwithstanding!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
4 Thank TeddyN
St. Louis
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 January 2014

We spent our honeymoon at the Buccaneer 22 years ago and decided to take our 3 teens there after Xmas based on our fond memories. Well, the service and the ambiance has improved and was first class in every way, exceeding our already high expectations. The food was very good and although not inexpensive, it was comparable to other restaurants that did not have the ambiance or view. The service at the front desk and everywhere was outstanding, the help is constantly smiling and eager to please. We also met Elizabeth who is the owner/manager and she was fantastic. Don't miss the manager's cocktail party! We stayed in the main building in two very spacious rooms with absolutely incredible views. I didn't even want to leave my room! I don't think there is a bad room at the Buc! My daughter commented that the mountainside view didn't even look real as it was so beautiful and beyond her expectations.

Breakfast is free, plentiful and delicious-be sure to try the eggs benedict and the banana pancakes. Outstanding! Dinner was good too-although service was a little slow probably due to the busy holiday season. They didn't charge me a corkage fee when I brought my own bottle of champagne to New Year's Eve-- I thought that was very nice of them. The server even chilled it for me!

The golf course is in decent condition and is affordable. My son played for half price and Joe Biden was playing in front of him! Some secret service guys told him not to pass the secret service cart or they would have to tase him. Yikes! On a side note, our government sent three or four Cadillac SUV's filled with secret servicemen playing on their Iphones all afternoon. How they got the cars there with Washington plates, I do not know. What a waste!!

Apparently the celebs are catching on to this place because the day before we left Martha Stewart came gliding by us doing the breast stroke at mermaid beach. The beach and the entire property never felt crowded even though it was peak season. I will not wait another 22 years to go back! My husband wants to race the five mile swim from Buck island to Buccaneer beach in 2015. Hope we make it back then.

Room Tip: I have only stayed in the main building so would recommend that based on the views on the 2nd floor...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank hhball
weston, ct
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 January 2014

The property is lovely. It's hilly with great views. It's wonderful for walking. There are plenty of tennis courts which are in good shape and there are two nice beaches. Even during the Christmas holiday there was room at the beach and we didn't have to fight to get a chair. The rooms were ok - not great - for a resort at this price. The baths were so-so as were the linens. They were however a good size and very clean. There were no robes - our rooms never got turned down at night and it had few of the little niceties that I expected.
The service was very disappointing. For example, we had scheduled an ATV tour with our kids. The tour was canceled and the tour company called the hotel to tell them. The concierge said that she called my cell phone to tell me but there was no message and no missed call. I didn't get a call in the room or an email or a text. So I drove for an hour only to drive home again. When I told this story to the manager she said that it shouldn't happen and that she was sorry. That's it! She didn't even offer a free drink!
The breakfasts were also absolutely awful. The buffet was far too small to accommodate the number of people. They kept running out of items. The baked goods were almost inedible. The presentation reminded me of a college cafeteria back when that was awful. The other meals were ok.
The staff and everyone we met on the island were very nice. The golf course was very hilly and interesting.
The island is very hard to get around in. We rented a car and had trouble finding places for the first few days. Many roads are not marked - even major roads. The hotel rarely had printed directions and the cell phone GPSs were only sometimes helpful.
In short, if this was a third less expensive and listed as a 3 star hotel I would say excellent. However, this is not a top shelf resort.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank mitch w
Middletown, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 January 2014

This was our second stay at The Buccaneer. Rooms are luxurious, beautiful, perfectly clean, and well serviced. St. Croix's only first-class golf course is just outside the door. Dive shops and dive dock are 5 minutes away by taxi or rental car. The entire property is just one gorgeous view after another. Their December 6-21 room sale is a screaming deal. Good free Wi-Fi in the room and the Great House.
The breakfast package is a good deal-- hot and cold buffet plus items ordered from kitchen. For dinner, we enjoyed sampling the many excellent restaurants around the island.
St. Croix drives on the left, but cars are U.S.-style left-hand drive. Takes a little getting used to, but speed limits are low on most roads so it wasn't too hard. We brought our Garmin GPS from the United States, and it was extremely helpful.
AT&T Wireless service is excellent over the whole island, and service is billed the same as in the continental U.S.

Room Tip: We stayed once in Luxury Ocean View and once in Great House Ocean View. Both were superb. From the c...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Harvey_in_Middletown
Also consider these accommodations in or near Christiansted
Tamarind Reef Resort, Spa & Marina
The Palms at Pelican Cove
The Palms at Pelican Cove
#2 of 14 in Christiansted
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,099 reviews

Been to The Buccaneer St Croix? Share your experiences!