The Buccaneer St Croix
VisitUSVI
US$221
Hotels.com
  • Pool
Hotel on the Cay(Christiansted)(Great Value!)
US$188
US$158
Travelocity
Company House Hotel(Christiansted)
King Christian Hotel(Christiansted)
1,485 results
All reviewsmermaid beachgolf coursegrotto poolocean frontgreat housebuck islandkids campjogging trailst croixterrace barfamily cottagemain buildingconcierge deskoceanfront roomtennis courtsrum punchsugar mill
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 7 May 2014

I stayed at the Buccaneer with my husband and 2 young children (10 months and 2.5 years old) for 7 nights in April/May 2014. The purpose of the visit was leisure - my husband participated in the 70.3 Triathlon.

Accommodation
We stayed in the family cottages. It was good value for money as the kids stayed for free and we got 2 rooms (separated by a bathroom). There was a welcome basket with a bottle of white wine and some snacks - very nice gesture. We were provided with a full size crib for my 10 month old daughter. There was no bottled water in the room, but a carafe with filtered water and a bucket of ice was placed in the room every day.

Dining
Unlike in other reviews I never got the feeling that servers expected me to tip. We did however do so.

Breakfast was free. The buffet was good - fruit, yogurt, variety of juices, variety of breads and pastries, french toast, pancakes, scrambled eggs, omelets by order, scrambled eggs, bacon, quiche, breakfast potatoes and more. You can also have eggs benedict, you just need to order it a day in advance.

Mermaid restaurant: we ate lunch here a couple of times. The menu selection is reasonable.

Grotto: we ate lunch here a couple of times. A much smaller selection than the mermaid menu is offered.

We also dined off premises at Galangal and Savant. Both are highly recommended.

Amenities
- I had a pedicure at the Hideaway spa. There is no 'asian serenity' ambience, but my feet did look great at the end of it!
- The general store is very small. I needed more diapers and baby food squeezes for the baby. They only stocked packs of 2 diapers. As we didn't have a car my husband ended up cycling to the 'Stop & Save' which is about 1.5 miles from the Buccaneer for the diapers. We found the baby food at 'Food Town'
- There is a laundry with a vending machine for detergent and softener. One load costs about $5
- The running trail is great. One of the most scenic of any resort I've stayed in with several water points along the way
- Beach toys are provided at the Grotto and Mermaid beach free of charge.
- There is an oversized beach chess set, a basketball court and a small soccer field at Mermaid beach
- The hotel provides a shuttle service to wherever one wants to go on the premises, e.g. any of the beaches. It is quite hilly to get around so this service was quite useful.

Babysitter
A babysitting service is offered. Hotel staff are used with the cost being $15 per hour for 1 child and $23 per hour for 2 children. We used a babysitter twice and had a very good experience.

Customer Service
On several occasions I contacted reception to address items and they get 5/5 for service and response time.

Car rental
I arranged for a rental car from Hertz via the concierge. I just signed a form and they arranged the rest. 5/5

Taxis
Before we rented a car we got around via tai. Cost is $9 for 2 people to Christiansted one way.

We had occasions where our children seemed to bother other people - we are very strict, but there is only so much one can tell such small children and only so long one can keep them quiet. For that reason I would not recommend this resort for families with small children. We rented a house for the last 5 nights of our stay and that worked much better for us.

Room Tip: Choose the Doubloons if you can afford it - it is out of the way and looks over the Mermaid beach
4  Thank Mambolina
Reviewed 7 May 2014

The Buccaneer was clearly the right choice, there was no other resort that even came close. We dined at nearly all the other resorts and we very pleased with our choice of staying at the Buccaneer. There were 3 truly private beaches, 4 restaurants and two pools. The staff was unbelievable! We were having issues putting the top up on our rental Jeep and one of the staff came out in the pouring rain to assist. About 20 minutes later and completely soaked we finally got it up, no complaints just a simple no problem and a smile from him. We will be back!

Room Tip: Make sure you get a beachfront room as the views are just breathtaking.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Aaron-Kocourek
Reviewed 3 May 2014

The Buccaneer property is great.
The rooms look like they been updated since we stayed there 3 years ago.
But the service at Buccaneer is less than you would expect for a $300+/night property.
The food is not that good and expensive.

And the place is now a destination for families with small children.
My wife and I had a better experience at Sand Castles on west end.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank STXJohn
Reviewed 30 April 2014

The staff at the Buccaneer are all incredibly helpful. They make one's arrival to and stay at the island a wholly pleasant experience. Lauren and Joel at the concierge desks will figure out a way to make your wishes come true. We booked a tour of the bioluminescent bay at Salt River Bay and a tour of Buck Island National Park through them - they made sure everything was pitch perfect.
The rooms were spacious, clean and very comfortable. We had a nice balcony in ours. The thing to remember is to have bug spray; you will get bitten up otherwise.
As for other parts of the property, the beaches are nicer than the pools; though that's what happens in this part of the world. My husband enjoyed the golf course immensely.
Food is expensive not just at the resort but throughout the island - guessing most things have to be flown/ferried in.

Room Tip: The rooms on the island ridge have a great view and balconies. There's another set (think they're called Doubloons) closer to the golf course; some of those seem to have some pretty neat views as well.
2  Thank GaPNewYorkNY
Reviewed 28 April 2014

Have just returned from a week at the Buccaneer and it was perfect. We rented one of the family cottages, which was basically two adjoined bedrooms with a shared bathroom. The best feature about the Buccanner is the staff - incredibly friendly, helpful, knowledgeable. There is plenty to do at the Buccanneer itself (snorkeling, kayaking, scuba-diving, tennis) and a fifteen minute shuttle into Christiansted and other parts of the island.
The Buccaneer is a "very nice" hotel but not blingy. We didn't want over the top marble everywhere. The Buccaneer is an historic, family run resort with a few beautiful cove beaches. The pools are small, but you really don't need a pool anyway. There is a laundry room for guests which I appreciate as the mom.

Room Tip: The web site is very clear about where the rooms are situated. The resort has great views of Christiansted and most of the rooms seemed to look out over the sea.
2  Thank Toni H