“Beautiful but staff needs CDs training” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Buccaneer St Croix

The Buccaneer St Croix
Ranked #1 of 14 Hotels in Christiansted
Rome, Georgia
“Beautiful but staff needs CDs training”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2014

We just got back from 5 night stay at this resort. It is an older but nice resort. The grounds, views and location are beautiful. The rooms could use a nice spring cleaning and updated paint. Rooms are clean on the surface. The vents were extremely dusty. The rooms are very spacious and the ac works great. Free wifi was slooowwwww....We were in room 325 and the location on the property was fantastic. The 2 mile walking/jogging trail was great. Snorkeling from the beach was good. The Grotto staff was excellent.

We ate at the Mermaid restaurant after we settled in the first day. Service was very lacking and my order was wrong. We ate dinner at the Terrace once, actually the bar area. It serves the same menu. You pay $3 for ONE soda and each refill. I hate the feeling I get when not informed of that up front...we ordered 2 grilled chicken caesar salads...$50!!!!!! WHAT??? They were good but not great. For $50, I should be impressed with more than how proud of them they were!!! The service was excellent that night.

The daily breakfast buffet was good, not great. I would never pay the price they ask for cold, dried out eggs and hash browns. There was quite a variety, but again, I like hot food to be served hot, not barely warm. The fans make matters worse by quickly rendering any warmth at all ice cold on your plate. The fans are necessary, however. The view was great at breakfast.

Service at breakfast was great when seated in Stephanie's ?? section. It was quite cold and impersonable when Babylon served us. She acted very put out at any request. She rarely made eye contact. Such a cold and unfriendly personality. The hostess was on and off in the same regard. She felt the need to challenge my inquiry of non buffet choices. She had to verify my room number before answering if I could order from a menu. Who cares if I'm staying there? I'll pay if needed. Dont make me out to be a criminal for asking. The sign says the chef will gladly fulfill special request and that you can order pancakes and eggs from the kitchen. The male host was warm and engaging. The busboy was very cheerful and seemed to enjoy his job.

A BIG NO NO was that Babylon and another waitress added $5 tip each to our credit card. I found that upon review of final bill. We had already left a tip for waitress #2! Babylon was not deserving. We tip good on descent service and great on excellent service usually. These fraudulent tips were removed once I informed the front desk and Ms Armstrong, the owner/mgr.

All in all, we would def stay there again. Hopefully mgmt will provide customer service training to some service staff and the next diners will have a great experiment. That is the only goal. I would love to be able to change my poor service to 5 stars. I expected better service.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
6 Thank KarenHouston

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (388)
Virgin Islands
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2014

Ok, so I may sound partial during this review. I am a former resident of St Croix and a former employee of The Buccaneer Hotel. For a few years I worked as a Front Desk Agent and Concierge. I would always hear from hotel guests what a WONDERFUL hotel The Buccaneer is.

In August, my husband and I decided to come back for a visit. And where did we stay? The Buccaneer of course!!

This hotel runs like a clock. Best beaches, top restuarant, great ammenities, and best of all top performing employees who are there for YOU.

For those of you that are thinking about a visit to St Croix and aren't sure of where to stay - you may want to consider The Buccaneer.

Room Tip: All of the rooms are top notch. It all depends what you're looking for. Of course the rooms wi...
      Sleep Quality
1 Thank 14goldie
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2014

First of all the Buccaneer was great. It's just hard to compete with the remodeling job they've done at the Carambola. The rooms were clean and good sized. The view from 341 was excellent, and it was so close to the ocean that I could literally have thrown a stone in the water from my 1st floor balcony. The staff were friendly and accommodating. The free breakfast was hearty and included a nice variety. Mostly typical American stuff (eggs, sausage, pancakes etc).

The grounds were great! Enormous iguanas on the golf course. The fitness trail was good if you're into that. Note that theres a clean, small, secluded beach off to the right of the main beach with a few lounge chairs that would be nice for couples. I think it's called Whistler' beach. They filmed a piece of an episode of The Bachelor there. There's another beach off to the left of the main one. This is where the small pool is located. It's called The Grotto (think hotel pool, not Hefner mansion).

If you get waterfront expect to walk up a pretty steep hill for breakfast in the an. Well worth it in my opinion and the exercise was good. They do have courtesy vans if you need them.

• Stayed August 2014
      Cleanliness
4 Thank Fortworthdoctor
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2014

The Buccaneer is an amazing property with two beaches that locals come to visit just for the beaches. They have a huge golf course, amazing food, and even more amazing customer service. Everyone is pleasant and kind. They clean your room twice a day, morning and evening!

I stayed ocean view in between the beaches and boy was it serene. You wake up to the sound of gentle waves hitting the sand and on your deck you have two lounge chairs and a table.

All activities (snorkeling, kayaking, etc) are free. There is a child day camp with new activities everyday (arts and crafts, etc). The beaches are small, not too busy and simply beautiful with the most gorgeous palm trees.

I will certainly choose this hotel out of any resort on St. Croix. THE BEST!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
      Cleanliness
2 Thank Lyricspoetic
Jersey City, New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2014

We visited the Buccaneer to partake in the the full beach experience. We were also seeking a yummy lunch and decided to lunch at its restaurant right on the beach. We ordered and sipped on yummy frozen drinks and ordered food. I ate the mahi mahi spinach wraps - drizzled in a delicious citrus aioli sauce. The conch fritters were super yum, too. The bonus is that we were able to relax in beach chairs underneath the amazing trees which provided shade. We went for a swim after eating and enjoyed a beautiful view of the sunset. The staff was very friendly. Overall - a great experience - even if you're not a guest of the hotel!

Chicago, IL
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2014

The best thing about visited St Croix, one of American Virgin Islands, was learning the history of the island, eating the food and staying at the The Buccaneer near Christiansted. The hotel was the first hotel built on the island and opened in 1927. If is operated by a family enterprise.

Our room was ocean view with the 13th hole of the golf course right in front of our large patio. A very short walk gets one to one of the small pools where there is food service available. From our room, it was a steep walk up to the main building where breakfast is served. At night cocktails and entertainment can be found as well as dinner. Great views are afforded to view the sun set over the ocean and then the lights aglow in Christiansted.

The golf course has some challenges and in particular avoiding the large lizzards on a couple of holes.

Our stay was almost ruined the first night as we arrived late and went to the only restaurant opened. We were patient as the restaurant we busy but our menus were not given to us and after 10 minutes we got our own, when another 10 minutes before a waitress came, then another 25 minutes before our food came. Thankfully the food was good as it was all the other times we ate at the resort.

We took an arranged taxi and ate much of the time as well as taking a tour of the island which included Frederiksted on the other side of the island and a visit to the Cruzan Rum Distillery.

I had a nice message at the spa. The shuttle service to various parts of the resort was quick and efficient.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
3 Thank Thor13
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2014 via mobile

Stayed in beachfront villas - the rooms lived up to the name. Rooms were absolutely on the beach with back porch step out directly onto pristine beach with gorgeous tropical waters. Amazing beginner's reef snorkeling just a short 0.5 mile swim directly off the beach.

Breakfast buffet included and although not the most inclusive buffet ever, it does NOT leave you hungry. You can get your fill of eggs, breads, meats, fruits everyday. Manager's reception one night was a nice touch. We never ate dinner at the hotel, rather ventured into the city.

Would love to come back here for the incredible beachfront villa rooms.

Stayed July 2014
2 Thank TXTravelMD
Also consider these accommodations in or near Christiansted
Tamarind Reef Resort, Spa & Marina
The Palms at Pelican Cove
The Palms at Pelican Cove
#2 of 14 in Christiansted
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,094 reviews

Been to The Buccaneer St Croix? Share your experiences!