The Buccaneer St Croix
Club Comanche(Christiansted)
US$304
US$220
  • Breakfast included
Hotel on the Cay(Christiansted)(Great Value!)
US$266
US$1,263
TripAdvisor
Hotels.com
1,496 results
All reviewsmermaid beachgolf coursegrotto poolocean frontgreat housebuck islandkids campjogging trailst croixterrace barfamily cottagemain buildingconcierge deskoceanfront roomtennis courtsrum punchsugar mill
Reviewed 11 April 2006

This resort has some nice features, but some also very substandard features, given the prices. The best features are its lovely beaches, watersports, and views. We were disappointed to find upon arrival that we were not given the room we booked. When we asked to switch rooms, we were accommodated, but the room we were given was far more expensive and not really much nicer (a $170 increase per night, which we weren't told about until after our stuff was in the new room). I don't think that is a reasonable policy, and I was disappointed with the hotel, because although we complained later, they did nothing to make up for our unhappiness with the increased cost. We went because friends were having a wedding at the resort. The wedding itself was nice and was held at sunset on one of the beaches, although the minister was impossible to hear over the wind and waves. The reception dinner at the hotel was well executed, if a bit rushed by the staff. The bar closes very early for a resort of this type. Although we were told by the front staff that it remained open well after 11 p.m., in reality, you couldn't expect to get a drink at the bar any later than 11 p.m. This is a place that is very family-oriented and doesn't have much nightlife. It does have a decent gym, lovely beaches, and adequate food. Would I go back? Probably not. If you go, avoid the beach at night time and make sure you religiously apply bug spray. The mosquitos and sand fleas are vicious, and even though I was careful to apply repellent, I came home with over 20 bug bites!

• Stayed: April 2006
8  Thank CaliforniaRay
Reviewed 11 April 2006

As they say in real estate: Location, location, location! The Buc' is by far situated in THE best physical location than any other major resort on the island. Close to town (Christiansted) yet far enough away to enjoy some solitude. Great staff as well...especially Pat at the morning breakfast. She is absolutely wonderful so make sure you sit at one of her tables. Also, make sure to say hello to Don at the beach shack when you get your floaties! He is great. Even the folks at the secured entrance were very pleasant and always smiled as we drove through.

Rooms are clean w/ twice daily maid service and have wonderful A/C! We had a waterfront room overlooking Mermaid beach and couldn't have been happier.

Food was good and the morning buffet breakfast was nice as well. The ONLY negative thing that we encountered was that there was not any beach beverage service at Mermaid! (Apparently we are lazy drinkers!)

Stay @ Buccaneer and you will not be disappointed.

• Stayed: April 2006
9  Thank heraldboy
Reviewed 7 April 2006

Returned from a one week stay (March 18-25, 2006)at the Buccaneer with my wife and daughter(age 17). We found both St. Croix and the Buccaneer to be enchanting. Our rooms were located in the Doubloons, which are the newest and most top-notched accommodations on the property. Our suites (#361 & 363)were located in the last Doubloon building (three Doubloon building with four suites to a building)which gave us the entire top floor of that building. When requesting rooms, in my opinion, you would ask for these suites as these two suites are the best available, since they are the last building affording more privacy, and located only steps from the best beach (Mermaid)on the property. The balconies from these suites afford the most beatiful vantage point for looking upon the Caribbean and especially sunset each evening on the property as well. We found both the Terrance Restaurant (most formal) and the Mermaid Restaurant(less formal beachside)to have excellent quality food for typical Caribbean prices (slightly higher that Arkansas menu prices). We also drove in to town (Christiansted), a short five minute drive with our rental car several nights for some delightful dinners. We would especially recommend Bacchus for their quality food and menu selection. While at the Buccaneer we also used the Spa services several times and found their services to be of good quality and reasonably priced.
My daughter and I are certified scuba divers and we went on several dives with the dive ship SCUBA in Christiansted. The dive staff was excellent and although we felt the dive sites were good, we have been to others in the Caribbean that we thought were a little bit better. We also did the horseback ride with a stable called Jill & ?? (can't remember the other name). Our family has been doing horseback riding for years on many different Caribbean islands and this operation is probably the weakest one we have been on. They promised a two hour ride (10:30 to 12:30 but it ends up being less than 30 minutes riding time, as they didn't start the process until 10:40 and then it took another 20 minutes to get everybody properly on board (22 riders), then after about a 15 minute ride you spent 20 minutes waiting while every rider gets their photo taken at the beach, then you ride for another 15 minutes and we were back just before 12:00 noon. One final thought about the Buccaneer. The most outstanding feature of the resort is their staff. Every staff member we encountered, from wait staff, housekeeping, conceirge, front desk, and others were extremely friendly, mostly providing prompt service, and always willing to provide excellent customer service. I made that comment to the divemaster while diving and she said the reason for it is the Buccaneer pays their staff better than any one else on the island and they get to hire only the "cream of the crop" and it shows. I agree. One other thing, don't go to St Croix without going to Buck Island. Well worth the almost full day it takes for the trip. Great property on a great island!

• Stayed: March 2006
16  Thank Go'n Traveling
A TripAdvisor Member
Ft. Myers
Reviewed 27 March 2006

I can rate the resort one of the best in the islands based on visits as honeymooners and parents. My husband and I first visited the Buccaneer on our honeymoon 12 years ago. Since then, we have vacationed at the resort twice, first with our infant and toddler sons, and most recently with our sons, now ten and seven. Our sons are always thrilled to be going to the “Bucc” where mommy and daddy honeymooned! I can’t say enough about the incredible kids program, where we know our boys are safe and having the time of their lives while we continue our honeymoon at the beach and spa. The food is incredible, about the best in the Caribbean in our opinion. Although the beach is the main attraction during the day, we have also learned to play golf as a family. But best of all is the resort’s staff, who treat us like royal members of their family. Thank you to everyone at the Buccaneer for making us part of your family.

• Stayed: January 2006
5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 21 March 2006

I read the reviews prior to booking a stay at the Bucchaneer. I have to say I found a lot of the negative comments to be unfounded. Our room, which was a family cottage located next to the tennis courts, was spacious and well-maintained. It was not a luxury suite. As far as the staff was concerned, they couldn't have been more helpful and amiable. I did go into the town of Christiansted, which I highly recommend, for dinner. My only complaint would be the high price of dining at the resort versus the quality of the food. I think this could be said for most resorts, though. You tend to dine on the property out of convenience.

• Stayed: March 2006