“A beautiful place for a wedding and a vacation”

The Buccaneer St Croix
Ranked #1 of 14 Hotels in Christiansted
Pennsylvania
“A beautiful place for a wedding and a vacation”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 June 2007

My husband and I were married at the Buccaneer on a Saturday in June. I cannot say enough about how wonderful the Buccaneer was. Our room was very nice...and all of our guests were pleased with their rooms. Every room has a balcony or patio, most had huge bathrooms and very adequate living space. The food at the hotel was very good. The Grotto for lunch if you're on the beach is perfect; the Mermaid has delicious food if you want to cover up your bathing suit and sit and be served. The Terrace and Terrace Bar for the evening are very nice, but a little pricey. The atmosphere and view from the Terrace make it worth it. And breakfast that is included with the room is great. The have everything from cereal and fruit to omelets and pancakes. Definitely take advantage of it.

On to the wedding...we had over 50 guests and everyone, including ourselves, had a great time. We were married on Mermaid Beach-which is the way to go. Barbara Dean, our wedding coordinator, and her staff, did a wonderful job decorating the beach. She was there to tell us who need to be where and when and everything went incredibly smoothy. The reception was gorgeous as well, Dennis and his staff coordinated everything perfectly-it was exactly how I pictured it. The photographer and DJ arranged by the Buccaneer were great as well. I would certainly recommend the Buccaneer if you are thinking of a destination wedding.

The only negative I can think of was the slow shuttle service during the day. While you can walk the entire property, there is a really big hill and it's hard to carry things up the hill. If you need a shuttle during the day up to the Greathouse, make sure to call atleast 30 minutes ahead! We also utilized the spa several times. All of the services were great-everyone was very professional and Ruba is very kind. Keep in mind that the spa is small, however. If you are having a wedding and have serveral bridesmaids (I had four), it will be difficult to get everyone in for hair and nails the day of the wedding. There is only one person that does hair (and she also does nails and makeup). However, they were very gracious about letting us use their space and equipment, i.e. straighteners, which allowed some of my bridesmaids to do their own hair at the spa.

Overall, our experience at the Buccaneer was incredible and we can't wait to return! Please feel free to contact me with any questions.

• Stayed June 2007, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Diplomat2007

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (394)
Nebraska
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2007

My family recently returned from a one week stay at the Buccaneer in St. Croix--our three kids are 19, 16, and 13. We booked two deluxe ocean front rooms. Overall we had a wonderful family vacation and the kids thought it was fantastic--they are not burdened with the experience of past stays at Four Seasons or Ritz Carlton resorts like I am. The only reason I bring this up is that you should not go The Buccaneer thinking it is a 5 star resort--is isn't. The rooms we were given show their age. It was clean, but a refresher is in order for those rooms. When we checked into our rooms, I went out to the stone patio outside our room (beautiful view) and noticed an empty diet coke bottle on the ground--I left it there to see how long it would take before housekeeping picked it up--took three days. The TVs in the rooms are very small and not conducive to group TV watching--not a huge deal, but my family likes to watch a movie in the evenings together when vacationing--had to put in a special request to get a DVD player. The beaches at the hotel we found very enjoyable--spent most of our time at the Grotto beach, since the kids like the pool also. The water is WONDERFUL--crystal clear and very warm. One very nice thing about the hotel is the free use of snorkel gear and fins--the kids loved that and snorkeled every day. While not a prime snorkeling area, we saw many beautiful fish in the water, especially along the coral running beside the Grotto beach. The beach personnel were helpful setting up the kids with gear, kayaks, etc--although for several days someone didn't show up so there was only one beach person covering both beaches. The housekeeping was spotty--on at least three of the nights we were there, no turndown service was given, and usually the rooms were not made up before 3:30 or 4:00--too late in my book.
Now for the food: We took advantage of the "free" breakfast every morning (does not include gratuity for the wait staff who were very good), but it is not a great buffet. The food is just OK--even the made-to-order from the kitchen. But again it was free so I can't complain much here. One note--I'd stay away from the pastries as it is very common for the birds to fly in to the breakfast and and try to eat a muffin or two. Why they don't cover that stuff up I have no idea--my wife resorted to asking for a pastry from the kitchen that was out of the bird's reach. We ate lunches at the grotto grill which was fine--about what you'd expect--nothing fancy and a bit overpriced. For dinner when we didn't venture out, we'd eat at the Mermaid if it was open. I thought the food was very good there. They will do all they can to get you to eat at the Terrace restaurant--I've heard it was good but boy bring your checkbook to this place. We decided to save our $$ for excursions and avoided the Terrace. Be aware that you can also eat in the bar area of the the Terrace with a more informal but limited menu--they don't advertise that too much.
Now, for the Island itself. My biggest problem with St. Croix was how unsafe I felt at times when venturing about the island. It is very difficult to find your way around in the evening--the streets are very poorly marked and not well lit--be sure you know where you are going before hitting the road and be sure to get a decent map--the one they give you at the hotel is worthless. My personal recommendation is to not venture beyond Christiansted in the evening--I would not go to Fredericksted. Even Christiansted in the evening feels a little shaky--although there is a fairly significant police presence around the board walk by Rumrunners (try the fish tacos) and you will feel safe around there--just don't park too far away or take a cab and you won't have any problems.
As for excursions, be sure to visit Buck Island--it's the best thing we did on the trip. Wonderful snorkeling and the beach is fantastic. We took a walk in the shallow water and saw some baby lemon sharks--really cool. My wife and kids took a rainforest tour with a guy the hotel recommended and they LOVED it. I probably would have also, but I had to take a day off due to my sunburn. Do NOT underestimate the Caribbean sun--it will cook you if you're not very careful. Highly recommend swim shirts if your light skinned like me.
Again, overall it was a great trip, just don't have super high expectations of a 5 -star resort. The Buccaneer is not that.

• Liked — Location and nice quiet beach
  • Disliked — The walk to the main building for breakfast
  • Stayed June 2007, travelled with friends
9 Thank NebraskaBluejay
CT
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2007

I stayed at this hotel with my husband and 2 1/2 year old daughter May 8-12,2007. This was our first visit to St. Croix but we have been to the Caribbean about 15 times previously.

We stayed in a family cottage room, number 167. It was located about halfway from the main building to the beach. These are two bedroom units with a patio that had a table and chairs and lounges. There was an entrance for each bedroom. The childrens' room had two twin beds, a television and a bell on the door that dinged when the door was opened from within, which was a very nice feature for us since our daughter is very independant and kept wanting to chase the pidgeons and mongooses on the lawn outside.
There was one bathroom which had a shower/tub and toilet with a door and then the sink area was just outside the bathroom and between the two rooms. There was also a comfortable window seat that could be used as a bed if need be.
The adult bedroom had a chair, iron, ironing board, coffee maker, tv, fridge, and water. There were also always plenty of towels and a turn down service a night complete with chocolates on the bed.
Unlike the other poster, I found the level of service at this hotel to be excellent, and I do travel often so I have experience to compare this with.
The views are stunning. I did not get to play golf but I wanted to. The course looked challenging and in great condition. I don't play tennis but there are several courts and lots of people were playing.
We only made it to one of the three beaches to swim. There were plenty of chairs and shade. I also liked that this hotel leaves beach towels in the room for you and there are not hassles with returning the towels or exchanging them for new towels each day. The pool at The Grotto was small but very enjoyable for us. Often we were the only ones in it and on our last night there, they allowed the three of us to stay in past the official closing time which was nice.
This is a hilly property so for those who are not so mobile, it may not be the hotel for you. You can call and request a ride and with one exception, it always came promptly with no waiting.
A nice buffet breakfast is included. Its served in the open air restaurant in the main building. It had just about anything you could want for breakfast and you can also order omelettes and a few other items at no additional charge as well. In addition, we ate dinner in the restaurant the first night and it was delicious. There is nightly entertainment as well. Nothing fancy, usually a pianist or solo guitar but it makes for pleasant background music. During the day there is punch in the lobby (which you can add rum to if you wish) and coffee in the morning. There is also a free computer with internet access in the lobby.
A note on the dress code. The first night when we had dinner, I noticed that there were men without collared shirts on ( which is the dress code for dinner) and they were served, however they were seated off to the side and not in the main area of the restaurant. Later in our stay, when the hotel was more full, I think the dress code was enforced at dinner. Overall it was more casual than I had expected for a hotel in this price range.
We did like the location of the Buccaneer as well. Its not far into Christiansted. We had a rental car but I did take cab back from town one day and it was only $9, less than a 10 minute ride.

I would not say this is a 5 star hotel. Its not on the level of a Four Seasons and if you pay full price, you may not quite get what you expect, but if you can get a discount, its a lovely hotel and I would stay here again.

• Liked — The view!!
  • Stayed May 2007, travelled with family
4 Thank Bugfast
California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2007

We celebrated our nuptuals at The Buccaneer on April 28th and were at the resort for a total of 12 days, 11 nights. The entire experience from start to finish was beyond perfection. The staff are the most friendly I have experienced at a resort in years and the event staff were top notch from the wedding coordinator to the director of food and beverage. We chose The Buccaneer for our wedding without ever having been on the property and it turned out to be the best wedding that we (and our guests) had ever attended! We had a large group for a destination- 46 guests in all- and 95% of them stayed at the resort for at least 5 days, making it a vacation as well. A number of the guests said that it was the best wedding they will probably ever attend!
The food at the resort was always delicious- especially the Grotto- and the breakfast buffet is included in your room stay, but equals what you would get for a $40 Sunday brunch somewhere state-side.
Even more awesome were the extra amenities- the kids and adults could enjoy everything from the free kayaks and snorkel gear to the beach front entertainment (such as crab races where we won a free cocktail!)
Truly an AMAZING place- we WILL be back again!

• Liked — The beautiful property! Great beach and great views!
  • Disliked — The Spa could use some updating...
  • Stayed April 2007, travelled on business
1 Thank Traveling_Landons
Boston
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2007

My husband and I stayed at the Buccaneer in a Doubloon for a week over Easter weekend and the following week. Overall it was a very beautiful and very relaxing place to be.

Some observations:

Room: There is very little drawer space in the Doubloons. I'm not sure if it's because they're marketing these towards honeymooners and expect that you will be wearing very few clothes or if because of the price they know you need to sell every stitch off your back to stay there (exaggerating slightly). The bathrooms are very large and had a nice layout. My only complaint is there is no towel rack next to the sink. Drives me crazy to have towels on the counter. Overall it was very nice though and I would highly recommend these rooms if they're in your budget. They are not so fantastic that if you're on the fence about spending more on the room or more on drinks or the spa, then perhaps you may want to consider another room.

Property: The property I thought was beautiful. The views are gorgeous and it seems well taken care of. Sure, the buildings are old but I found everything to be clean.

Spa: The spa does not look like the upscale spas of the city but I found it to be clean, adequate and the service was impeccable.

Beach: We stayed mostly on Mermaid Beach while we were at the resort. Since we were in the Doubloons it made no sense to us to go over to Grotto Beach. I loved the beach. There were plenty of chairs and plenty of shade. My only recommendation is that if you want a floating mat to use, get there early -- mid morning or so. (no charge).

Food at the Buccaneer: We loved the salads at the Mermaid. Ate once at the Terrace for dinner and didn't go back. Especially for what it cost we weren't impressed. Breakfast, we personally thought was terrible in taste but it was adequate. It's what is to be expected for a buffet catering to a large number of people. I can see how people may think it's great but I'm not big on breakfast in general.

Food off the resort: We ate at the Starlight Grill (?) at Divi Bay Resort. It was terrible. Don't eat there. Service was bad and the food just average but the prices were still fairly high. We went to the casino after dinner and had a fun time. It's just a tiny little casino with mostly slots and a few tables. It was a good way to enjoy part of an evening. Duggan's Reef was okay. Just a warning to those of us who did not know that caribbean lobster is quite different from Maine lobster. Not as sweet so I didn't find it as enjoyable as I expected. Great atmosphere though. Elizabeth's at the Palms was excellent. But Savant and Bacchus, especially Savant, were our favorites. I highly recommend both and they are not far from the Buccaneer.

Activities off of the resort: We did a Big Beard's trip to Buck Island. I do recommend it. It is an all day trip but only about an hour of snorkeling at the reef at Buck Island (by law they can't be there longer.) They provided an adequate barbeque afterwards of hot dogs, hamburgers and mahi mahi. The snorkeling is great. We also did a half day Tan Tan tour. I would recommend it only for the fearless and those who have strong arms and backs. I thought I would be bounced right out of the jeep! But it was quite fun and I do recommend it for something different to do.

Overall our only real complaint was with the concierge service--without all the boring details, we basically found we knew more, having never been to the island, of what to do and where to go than the people who sat at the concierge desk. They didn't offer strong opinions one way or the other about things to do so I just looked everything up online and then asked them to help us book everything. That aside, we would definitely go back and have already started recommending trips to St. Croix to our friends.

• Liked — The views from the property and the beach.
  • Disliked — The food at the Terrace.
  • Stayed April 2007, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Elizabeth77
Louisville, KY
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2007

The wife and I spent 7 wonderful nights at the Buccaneer. We have travelled extensively in the Caribbean over the last few years. The Buccaneer is not an All-Inclusive, the meals and drinks are "slightly" expensive, but it was one of the most relaxing vacations we've had. Yes, we stayed in one of the Dabloons, ocean front, great view of Mermaid beach and Christainsted. The Dabloon room was perfect, I can't comment on the other rooms that dot the hillside. Room rates a "10". The breakfast buffet which is included is outstanding, also rated a "10". We never left Mermaid Beach, used the Mermaid Beach bar and the Mermaid Beach Restaurant for every lunch and most dinners. Although slightly expensive, $8 - $10 for a very, very good specialty drink, and $20 - $30 apiece for the dinner entree's, we never had a bad experience. The "Starter" menu has many dishes that can be shared, we did this several times. At least an "8". Never a problem calling for a ride up to the Terraces restaurant or the front desk, never waited more than 5 minutes. Its not a long way but a little steep walk. We often took the ride up, but walked back to our room. Every one of the staff was excellent, friendly and genually happy to be there. Many seemed to have been employed there for many years, they all had stories. Again at least an "8", no, a "9". This is a great place, period, and we will be back!

5 Thank dignplant
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2007

I visited The Buccaneer with my 80-something year-old parents and sister in April 2007. The location is perhaps the nicest on the island, offering amazing views and great beach access. The service was impeccable; friendly, easy-going (don't go if you're in a hurry) and inviting. The Doubloon rooms are the best on the resort, very isolated from other people/rooms, lovely, and on the beach for enjoyment during the day and hearing crashing waves at night. Wood and marble abound and the outside lanai was fantastic. Elizabeth Armstrong, 3rd-generation owner of The Buccaneer, is gracious, accessible and a fountain of historical knowledge about both the island and the resort.

The Buccaneer has a terrific kids' program as well, offering many activities that kids will enjoy while freeing up parents to do more adult things. However, this is NOT a kids' island or a kids' resort. It accommodates children very nicely but doesn't focus on them or cater to kids in general.

The town of St. Croix is not a shopper's paradise, so if shopping is a priority you might want to visit another island. What shopping can be found on St. Croix is of better than average quality and the prices were very reasonable. The town of Christiansted is not shopper-friendly; it is a bit dilapidated, but there was evidence of improvement. Shops are not close together and not well marked. Also very few restaurant options in town. However, the island's history is intriguing and there are many lovely areas to see by car. Snorkeling and Scuba are very popular.

• Liked — The privacy, quality and location of our room
  • Disliked — All staff was exceptional except for housekeeping, which was average
  • Stayed April 2007, travelled with family
3 Thank McGillis
Also consider these accommodations in or near Christiansted
Tamarind Reef Resort, Spa & Marina
The Palms at Pelican Cove
The Palms at Pelican Cove
#2 of 14 in Christiansted
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,099 reviews

Been to The Buccaneer St Croix? Share your experiences!