“Our January 2014 trip to Sugar Beach” 5 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Sugar Beach Condo Resort
Ranked #6 of 14 Hotels in Christiansted
Melbourne, Florida
“Our January 2014 trip to Sugar Beach”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 February 2014

For the past thirteen years we have been staying at Sugar Beach in either Unit 209 or 309 during the month of January or February. Every year we find the units extremely clean, well maintained and fully functional. The price has always been reasonable and we feel we get much more than we pay for. The two units are each two bedroom, two bath with a full kitchen. Unit 309 has the advantage of being top floor and high airy cathedral ceilings which really open up the condo to the beautiful Caribbean trade winds. Unit 209 gets the same breeze, is just as beautiful and is near ground level. We find the staff at Sugar Beach delightful. The men maintaining the pool and beach areas are all always friendly, hard working and quick to accommodate our every need. As we have never had any trouble with the units, we have little contact with the office. Unit 309 is in excellent condition and has gotten a lot of tender attention including a lot of new paint and furniture in the last year or so. Unit 209 is routinely maintained by the owner and in excellent condition. This year we stayed in 209 for almost three weeks and enjoyed every minute on STX. The weather was 80 degrees, plus or minus five, being 85 in the afternoon and 75 in the wee hours of the morning. We did not require any air conditioning as the breeze is beautiful and with the relaxing waves lapping on the beach, we slept well. With restaurants within walking distance, you really can just stay at the resort 24/7. We try to have breakfast on the balcony to enjoy the view of Christiansted Harbor and Buck Island. But, to us it's a lot more fun to get a car and go exploring after breakfast, as STX is entirely different than the other U.S. Virgin Islands. We have tried many restaurants and there is always some activity going on in early evening which tires us out and gets us to bed early. The beach and the sea at Sugar Beach are great, the water is warm enough to get in every day and the snorkeling and other water activities are plentiful. With the car, there are several other resort/beaches to make sure we visit every year as they are all beautiful. If it weren't for Sugar Beach Condos, we probably wouldn't go as often and be as comfortable. Thanks to Sugar Beach for another great vacation.
R/Hal and Jean

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
8 Thank Hal and Jean C
Resort_Team, Manager at Sugar Beach Condo Resort, responded to this review, 17 February 2014
Sugar Beach is so grateful for your continued patronage – and 13 years, wow! That is the best kind of compliment. We will share your compliments with the team, who work very hard to make sure our guests enjoy their time in St Croix as much as you both seem to do! We very much look forward to your 14th visit!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 February 2014

I had the pleasure of staying at Sugar Beach in January 2014. It was wonderful. We stayed in a nice 2 bedroom unit. The condo was on the first floor. We literally walked right out to the beach. The decor was wonderful -- the kitchen was fully equipped with everything we needed. There was a nice dining area on the porch as well as a table just outside the kitchen. The bathroom was one of the nicest I've seen in all my vacation rentals -- nice vanity, tub and shower.

The staff at Sugar Beach is very friendly -- everyone greets you. The pool is nice. It is located next to a Sugar Mill. There is a nice open area by the pool with grills for cooking.

I definately stay at Sugar Beach again.

Room Tip: All the units face the ocean. In our condo --one bedroom was in the front off the ocean and the sec...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Pat67ricia
Resort_Team, Manager at Sugar Beach Condo Resort, responded to this review, 12 February 2014
We are truly delighted to know that you enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you so much for posting your kind comments, we will be sure to pass them along to the staff. Your review will no doubt be useful for future travelers. We do hope to be able to have you with us again soon.
Libertyville, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 February 2014

We had a great time in Theater On The Beach! We were most pleased
with the new kitchen,the kayak, and the beach facilities. We have two
older teen girls and there was plenty do do on the premise and the
island. People at the two closest restaurants were very friendly. We
likes the bio-luminescent kayak tour, the horseback riding and the
sail to Buck Island. We relaxed in the condo, laid out on the beach
(plenty of chairs) and hung out at the pool. Totally worth the stay!!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank 233Cinzia
Resort_Team, Manager at Sugar Beach Condo Resort, responded to this review, 6 February 2014
Thank you very much for your review - we're glad you enjoyed your stay at Sugar Beach Resort. We are so pleased that you found a particular unit that you like. Sugar Beach does offer a variety of sizes for accommodations – studios, one bedrooms, two bedrooms and even four bedrooms, all just steps from the beach. It sounds like you had a perfect combination of activity and relaxation! We hope you all can come back and do it all again very soon.
Buffalo, New York, Usa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 February 2014

Sugar Beach…. Where to start? I absolutely LOVE Sugar Beach and the island of St. Croix! I can’t think of a better place to stay with such amazing access to the beach. We keep returning and it’s always like coming home. We have stayed in a number of units here, each one unique in its own way. The owners put their personal touches on them & their pride shows.

From the third floor units with their awesome breezes & unbeatable views (I personally recommend units 312 or 313 both have lofts for sleeping) to the ground floor units’ just steps away from the beach; they all have been great. All of the units we have stayed in have had fully stocked kitchens (No food of course), with everything we could need for a comfortable stay and never need to eat out, a few blocks away there are some grocery stores, Food Town is my choice. However if you do wish to venture out, there are tons of places to try that are must. Next door to Sugar Beach within walking distance is a restaurant called Breezes.

This time since it was just my husband & myself we stayed in a ground floor studio unit (#112); we were literally steps away from the beach. Sand between our toes & the sun on our face was just what we needed, not to mention living life on “Island time!”

The most difficult part about staying at Sugar Beach; was having to decide if we wanted to swim in the ocean or the sparkling pool. We did both of course! The pool area has a sugar mill, comfortable lounge chairs, tables, and a grill area for the grill master in every guy to cook on! The pool lights stayed on at night while my husband & I took a late night swim. I don’t like to go in the ocean after dark, I’m a chicken!

Starting with our arrival at the airport, being handed free rum samples to our last day there; everybody was so friendly and welcoming. We did not want to return home to the snow & cold. I completely understand how & why so many people come for a visit and decide to relocate to this island. Each time we visit, leaving just gets harder & harder.

My first visit to St. Croix was in 1998 with my entire family including my then 6 year old child & 90 year old grandmother. We have stayed at Sugar Beach each time. I can say things have evolved over the years & I am so very pleased with the changes. We had a chance to meet the new manager this visit; who was an absolute delight. I definitely could see change; there was a sense of team involvement from all of the staff. I was impressed with the fact that he was onsite as we arrived, when we woke up he was leading and working with the staff as they groomed the beach each morning, and available when we had any questions his staff didn’t have an answer for. You could see the respect he & his staff had for one another. I was very pleased with his availability to both the guests & his staff.

We also had a chance to meet some of the owners who were there for a meeting. They were friendly & welcoming. There was a genuine community feeling amongst them & a willingness to offer any suggestions they had on new things to do or try. One of the owners, a 68 year old woman had recently tried skydiving which was new on the island; she recommended we give them a call, we did.

While my husband jumped out of a perfectly good airplane at 10,000 feet for the first time… I stayed on the beach & took pictures! He Loved it!

We will definitely be back & we will be staying at Sugar Beach!

Room Tip: All of the rooms face the ocean with balcony's & Amazing views. First floor has direct acce...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Anonymous776
We can’t thank you enough for leaving such a kind and detailed review. No doubt your review will be of great help to future visitors. We are so pleased that you enjoyed your time with us and think of us as ‘home’. Thank you for noticing all of our positive changes and congrats to your husband for conquering the sky diving! We hope you saved some adventures for your next visit….
Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 February 2014

I had the opportunity to travel with family to St Croix in January 2014. We were 4 adults and stayed in unit 313 at Sugar Beach. I highly recommend both that unit and Sugar Beach Resort. The unit, although listed as a one bedroom, has a loft with two twin beds (can push together and I was told the office will provide a conversion kit to turn into king size bed although we didn't try that) and it's own miniature half bath. There is also full tiled bath on main level and queen size bed in master bed. It was perfect for 4 adults - and would be great for a couple and two kids as well. The unit itself was clean, very comfortable and just plain sweet. Furnished with wicker furniture and island decor it was well appointed and we found everything we needed including beach towels, wifi access, tons of books, and an amazing balcony with table and chairs looking directly out onto the pristine waters (still can't get over that amazing turquoise color - and the view from the 3rd floor is superb) where we spent much time and every meal (when we weren't out exploring some of the local restaurants). Kitchen had all the essentials which was great as I enjoy cooking. Morning and evening beach strolls starting right in front of the condo were a highlight. As was watching the amazing kite surfers right in front of the units doing fantastic tricks - although I think the daily diving pelicans beat the surfers. I also loved early mornings curled up reading in the chair on the balcony feeling the island breezes and ocean right there.
Speaking of breezes - I am not very fond of air conditioning and was delighted to find the open balcony doors along with opening the sliding door in the back bedroom created a great breeze through the house and made things very comfortable. On real warm nights turning the ceiling fan or room fan in the loft made sleeping very comfortable as well without the use of A/C. Re: swimming at the unit - There is a large swatch of sea grass in the water in front which took me a little bit of getting used to - however didn't stop me from going in the water. And, once I got used to it, it was fine - and I liked playing around in it. (you can avoid it by staying more shallow or walking a bit up the beach if you prefer) - and of course if you prefer they also have a pool at the resort.
Found the staff at Sugar Beach to be extremely friendly and helpful - from management to the wonderful woman who clean the units. Other guests were also very friendly.
Overall a wonderful, relaxing, easy, kick back, comfortable vacation. I plan on returning!

Room Tip: I think all the rooms faced the ocean. I loved the 3rd floor as I think the view is even better and...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank tamara s
Resort_Team, Manager at Sugar Beach Condo Resort, responded to this review, 2 February 2014
Thank you for your fabulous review and we are so glad to hear you had a wonderful stay with us and enjoyed your room. We will share your compliments with the team, who work very hard to make sure our guests enjoy their time in St Croix. And, yes, all of our rooms face the ocean! We look forward to your next visit!
Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 January 2014

I just had a superb vacation in a one plus bedroom apartment at Sugar Beach, Apartment 313. The staff were super responsive, the apartment well stocked with everything you could need and very clean and location fantastic. Great internet access, well designed and comfortable. Although its called a one bedroom apartment there is a loft area with two beds essentially making is a two bedroom unit. The view is wonderful, I was pretty much on the balcony gazing at the ocean whenever I was in the apartment. And there was no need for air conditioning as the sea breezes flow through the apartment each day keeping is cool and comfortable. The beach is great to hang out on, the pool area awesome and close to the city. I walked there one of the days. A great vacation and sugar beach and in particularly apartment 313 highly recommended.

Room Tip: Check out apartment 313
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Stephen S
Resort_Team, Manager at Sugar Beach Condo Resort, responded to this review, 30 January 2014
We appreciate receiving your kind review. Your travel tips will no doubt come in handy to future visitors. We are so pleased that you found a particular unit that you like. Sugar Beach offers all different types of accommodations – studios, one bedrooms, two bedrooms and even four bedrooms, all just steps from the beach – so there will be a unit perfect for you on your next visit, no matter what size group you come with! We look forward welcoming you back to Sugar Beach very soon.
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 December 2013

As usual, if you keep reading and/or paying attention to all fake reviews and believe them to be true, my guess is that you should simply stop traveling. I had rented 2 condos here at Sugar Beach resort (IT'S ON THE BEACH!!!!) with my family.

My secondary room was unit 116 (too Funny as the last review portrays this unit to be the worst one), for a second, I thought my vacation would turn ugly due to the last review... but then again I was reminded that I should certainly not trust those drama-like type reviews that are unfounded and fake.

I loved my stays. My family loved their stay as well. Point blank.
This is a true million dollar ocean views!!!!!!! I tried other hotels, but this one is truly special!
The staff is amazing, the manager as well. My room was clean and serviced and I cannot find any single point to complain about. FYI the manager is a "HE", not a "SHE" (just to tell you how wrong postings are in here).

Additionally, my family had ZERO complaint whatsoever about unit 116 OR their stay, or maybe just the fact they wanted to extend their stay (but that's another story).

Our units were fully furnished & had everything: a full kitchen, utensils etc... (even washer/dryer!) I could not ask for more!.

The pros:
The beach is literally in front of YOU and takes less then 30 seconds to reach the water. This is to me the best kept secret Hotel in St Croix. Rates are definitely worth it. I WILL BE BACK!!! Again, you are renting a full condo/apartment! The Staff is so accommodating. Really the island living at its best.

This is THE place to stay if you want to have a true "home away from home", save money comparing to other place on the island and you can't beat the location, surrounded by shops and even mc donald, gym nearby, seriously, I can't tell you more then that. Definitely a place I will keep on coming back. If you bring your Drama Queen attitude, then stay away, this is a place for people that have their feet on the ground.

Thank you Sugar Beach Resort, my family and I had a wonderful Christmas time here and really wanted to tell the world how wonderful you truly are! Thank you!!!!!

Claudio

Room Tip: More then 4 different big shop around, Mc donald (if you don't want to cook in your apartment...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
6 Thank Miamiusa1
Resort_Team, Manager at Sugar Beach Condo Resort, responded to this review, 31 December 2013
We are truly delighted to know that you enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you so much for posting your kind comments, we will be sure to pass them along to the staff. This kind of review always gives us a new inspiration to continue to do our best. We agree with you that our location is unbeatable! Hopefully we will be able to welcome you back to Sugar Beach very soon.