“Wonderful relaxing, great service, great diving”

Divi Carina Bay All Inclusive Beach Resort
Ranked #7 of 14 Hotels in Christiansted
Holliston, Massachusetts, United States
“Wonderful relaxing, great service, great diving”
Reviewed 31 July 2013

It was wonderful to go in the off season. Much quieter and we all got some much needed R&R. The diving is great and the trips are less crowded with more attention paid to each guest. Rooms are clean, dining facilities are clean and food is very good.

Room Tip: 1st floor allows direct walk out onto the beach. Upper floors provide more of a view.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Dave C
EC G, Manager on Duty at Divi Carina Bay All Inclusive Beach Resort, responded to this review, 1 September 2013
Thank you for sharing a review of your trip to St. Croix. Your post lets us know when we are doing something right and when we could use a little tweaking. We are glad to hear that you really enjoyed the rest and relaxation can be found on our shore. And though brief, your review certainly let us know that we are on the right track.

Thanks again and we hope to see you again soon.

Manager on Duty

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (256)
Midland, Texas, United States
Reviewed 25 July 2013

We arrived 7/13/13. Everyone from the front desk, bartenders to the grounds crew were always smiling and treated us with respect. Our room was bigger than expected and the maids cleaned up very well everyday. The view from our room was breathtaking. But beware of the round hooks on the deck, they are easy to trip over. The beach was cleaned every morning by the grounds crew. Shawn in the activities center was AWESOME! Highly recommend going on the guided snorkel tour at the resort along with the morning snorkel tour. The hike was a little tough but worth it. Shawn answered all of our questions about what fish we would see snorkeling. Bernadette is the best EVER!! She went out of her way to make us comfortable and the first day it felt like we had known her our whole lives. She was extremely nice to our children too. My daughter cried the day we left cause she was going to miss Bernadette so much. We love you girl! The nightly entertainment was so much fun. Don't miss the crab races and the cultural dances. It was nice to see some of the staff singing Karaoke and dancing. Everything was clean and if we needed anything all of the staff was willing and ready to help at any time. Grounds were kept up well at the mini golf and it's fun to play late at night. The pizza was amazing and on Friday there was dancing and a DJ. Drinks are so good. Lots of flavors of rum. We were planning on visiting other islands in the future but instead will be back to St Croix to the Divi Resort instead. I can't say enough about the resort. Y'all are loved and can't wait to come back!!

Room Tip: First floor would be nice because the sand is so close but the 3rd floor has an awesome view.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
7 Thank Jennifer C
Thank you for sharing such a delightful review of your stay with us. It certainly was a pleasure having your family here with your joyful smiles and especially one very silly personality. We are happy to hear that you found our property and staff to be all or more than you expected. Bernadette is definitely a spectacular individual that everyone loves. How can you not like such a cheerful smile and personality?

Reviews on this site assist others in deciding if this is the place for them. That you traveled as a family and always found something to do really help other families to decide how they would like to spend their vacation.

Thanks again for sharing this review. We hope to see you again soon.

Ephrata, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 24 July 2013

We arrived at 5/28/13 @ 8:30pm to find a tractor trailer-sized portable generator outside the open lobby. The resort runs on its own power plant, which had a fire on Tues. Although they said they were up to full power now, they were not. No elevator (my husband is handicapped) and there was no room service overnight in order to cut down on power needs. Because my husband could not climb stairs we reserved a ground floor room, but they moved us down to the end of the building to get away from the noise of the portable generators, to a third floor room! We were there 1/2 hour before the dinner buffet closed but there was little left and it was cold. We settled for fresh coffee & water. Our air conditioning was not working well - the temp in our room was 80 degrees. The bathroom was covered with mold & mildew, including the box that the shower cap came in. Our phone did not work & they could not fix it. We could not even call the front desk. They would not help us find another place to stay because they had sent their guests earlier in the week to other resorts & hotels & knew they were full. I demanded my money back - they would not give it to me. Finally they said they would comp that night AS LONG AS WE WERE OUT BY MIDNIGHT, but they would still charge us for the rest of the week! Finally I called Expedia ( the young woman at the front desk was very understanding & nice & lent me her cell phone to call Expedia who got all of our money back & we left the next day costing us another $1350 for airfare. By the way, the next morning we went to the breakfast buffet which was a fish theme so we settled for coffee, water & a bagel. It was a good thing we had washed off before breakfast and brushed our teeth (we would not set foot in the moldy and mildewed tub) because when we got back to the room the water was shut off! There were supposed to be 4 restaurants but 3 of them were across the street at their casino & bungalows which seemed to have full power. The pictures of DIVI are misleading. You can't swim on their beach because of debris which they block off with a line of gravel & the pool bottom was cracked. Also, to go to the dinner buffet you had to go through the lobby & down another 2 flights of stairs. Also, even though this was supposed to be "all-inclusive" you still had to sign for drinks, including water, coffee and meals - why was that necessary? This was an absolute nightmare. Buyer beware of "all-inclusive" resorts and the pictures in the ads. Read all reviews before making your decision to book someplace. And write honest reviews about poor experiences even when you see a few 5-star reviews for the same place.

Room Tip: Cannot advise about choosing a room as ours was not clean - looked like it had been a few weeks sinc...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
10 Thank Margaret B
EC G, Manager on Duty at Divi Carina Bay All Inclusive Beach Resort, responded to this review, 30 August 2013
We are sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your stay with us. We try our best to make sure that guests are having an enjoyable vacation. Having read your review, please allow me to clarify certain things.

As one of the large scale resorts on the island, we are very self-sufficient. We generate our own power and water, which is a big plus during storm season as we are one of the very few on island to have power. On May 14, 2013 there was an unexpected fire within our power plant which caused a blackout throughout the resort and casino. This fire caused damages to several areas due to the flames as well as the resulting power surges. As life goes, things that we simply cannot explain have a way of happening. We tried to make everyone as comfortable as possible as well as took several steps to see how we could best serve them using any and all of the resources available around the island. Most of our guests were happy with their overall experience and told us that they would definitely come back.

We did have full power restored as of 5/25 and although there was a large generator in front of the resort, it was not on. There are two elevators on property: one near front desk that goes to the downstairs restaurant and one on the far West Wing. We also have a golf cart at the front desk so if you do not want to walk down to where the elevator is you could ask for a ride to it. It’s now three months since the fire and we have not had issues with the power that were unexpected. When we are testing the systems, we try to do so during a time where most guests are either on the beach or out exploring our culture & history.

We apologize for any inconveniences that you experienced as a result and hope that you choose to visit St. Croix again.

Ycianda “E.C.” Granville
Manager on Duty

Travellers are raving about these Christiansted hotels

Sewell, New Jersey
Reviewed 19 July 2013

We arrived on Valentine's Day for a three night trip that I wish was longer! The hotel room was clean and very nice, appropriately decorated, etc. The staff was very helpful and friendly. I can't remember the name of the woman at the front desk, but she was fantastic and should be promoted to manager. The beach is clean, as are the pools, and the hot tub was fantastic. We took a shuttle into Christiansted one day and it was all seamlessly arranged by the hotel. Divi Carina Bay was extremely relaxing and fun. They had nightly entertainment, whether it was a lone musician or a local dance troop (or sometimes both!). This is not a party atmosphere, tho. There is a really cool pizza place on the property that had a DJ one night, but this wasn't a 21-30 crowd, at least not when we were there. There were some couples in their late 30s and 40s, and a high percentage of guests were in their 50s and 60s. That being said, it was off-season, so I'm not sure what it's like in the summer. They had daily activities, dive instruction, etc., that we did not do, because we were there to chill and relax, and Divi Carina Bay definitely delivered on that! I would definitely go back. The only thing I would improve was the food. Dinners were okay, always buffet (the restaurant was not open at night, which may have also been because it was off season). My vision of an all-inclusive dinner buffet was very different than what they had, though. They didn't have too many choices, and I found most of the food to be somewhat bland. Lunches were okay, although some of the lunch buffet was left overs from the night before. The breakfast was great.

One thing to remember on a vacation trip like this is that you're on an island, and everyone is on island time! Don't go to dinner when you're hungry, leave an hour earlier. Everything is chill and relaxed, and no one is in a rush. If you sit down at a table, it may take 20 minutes or more for someone to get to you. This isn't just Divi Carina Bay, it's the island mindset, but it's definitely the practice here, too. People from the mainland may get frustrated with the "I'll get to it in a little bit" mindset, or they can choose to embrace it and relax, just as my wife and I did. From talking to locals and doing my own research, I've learned that St. Croix is one of the lesser developed Caribbean islands, and tourism is not as popular as most of the other islands. Personally, I liked that, because the island itself, and Divi Carina Bay were not overpopulated or crowded. I loved the relaxation. I don't know how much of this is due to us visiting in February, but I would love to go back to this Divi property and try it during the busy season. I'd like to go back there right now, actually!

Room Tip: Go beach front. The view is awesome! The pic attached is our view. The water is usually brighter...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank RockingLoud
Thank you for sharing a review of your mini vacation. We are pleased to know that you enjoyed the time you spent with us. Customer service is a very important part of this industry and we're glad that all of the training we provide our staff certainly paid off.

Thanks again for sharing. Your comments let us know that we are on the right path to creating a tranquil environment where you can either relax on the beach or party a bit with local entertainment.

We hope you are able to visit again in the near future!

Brooklyn
Reviewed 17 July 2013 via mobile

I have never written a review before but I had to warn others....I'm just getting back from my family vacation and will never return to this resort or recommend this resort to an enemy. You pay good money and you expect to receive what you pay for. Check-in was smooth you get a Divi tote bag as well. Then you're asked if you need the bellboy to bring your luggage to your room...(which is on the third floor with the elevator being on the opposite side of the resort). That alone should have been an indicator of the quality to expect. The room was typical except for the shark eaten shower curtain with mold. Another warning was several signs in the room to lock your screen door (there was no lock) but to also use the bar (not at actual bar but a latch) which was present. Also to use the in room safe for your protection. I right away felt unsafe. Thank god nothing serious happened. However, I still can't find my daughters pj set. Breakfast was poor and of small variety. The beach was small poorly kept. The activities on the resort....there were barley any. The afternoon we arrived there was a crab race but as far engaging the guest with activities; that didn't happen. The resort does have a mini golf course, live size chess, and shuffle board. But as far as engaging the guest for fun activities; not happening. Nightlife is dead. The only live nite was the Thursday night with some native dancers and stilt walkers ( but they too could use some revamping). Otherwise light jazz, soca and r&b for an hour or so on a daily nite; which shuts down by 10 or 11pm. A 67 year old grandmother was disappointed with the night life.
The real problem is the infestation of roaches. The Starlite Grill has a problem and the Dockside Restaurant. Roaches not the water bugs were ramped. There were three families of roaches crawling on the floors. I asked to be move outside on the balcony as to this place being the only option for food that night. And refused to sit inside again; being that this is the only one of two options for food( besides pizza) and the only place for breakfast. I spoke with the manager about it and he assured me that the problem would be taking care of. However, later on that night I saw only one roach in the same area. And another guess I saw had a roach crawling on her table as she ate her dessert. The Dockside has water bugs and roaches. I killed a baby roach on my table as I ate lunch. Baby ants were also an issue in my drinks. Yes. Drinks. There others days drinks weren't an issue but this nite with the irony of it being our last nite. My daughter and I had ants in our fruit punch/rum punch twice. We sent back the first drinks and the replacement drinks still had ants. I was completely done with eating here after this, luckily it was our last staying night here. I did speak to the manager on duty that night and yes she gave her apologies
but something's are just not acceptable. And did not want to eat or drink anything there again. The kids pool is filthy with dead bugs and debri. There are other things in the resort that are run-down and could use a makeover (HGTV).
The only good thing was the views; the scenery; the tranquil ocean sounds; and sunsets. The weather was great. A few minor rain drops. And if your into scuba, paddle boarding and snorkeling this is your place. The Casino was ok. Be prepared to take taxi's into town for any shopping.

• Stayed July 2013
8 Thank Cocovaca
EC G, Managerr on Duty at Divi Carina Bay All Inclusive Beach Resort, responded to this review, 26 August 2013
We are sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your stay with us. St. Croix is extremely unique to other islands because it is still growing in the tourism industry. Our guests comment on the tranquility that they find relaxing on our beaches and they also rave about how peaceful it is that no one haggles them to buy or do something. We try our best to make sure that guests are having an enjoyable vacation by providing information about things to do at the resort as well as around the island. This information is provided at check in as well as in the Daily Divi Melee that is printed and placed on the tables at breakfast and there is always one posted at the Front Desk. In addition to this, there is a bulletin board at the main entrance to the Dockside Restaurant that gives you an idea of how to plan your week. We understand that not everyone would want to take the time out to review these information packets, so once available, a manager walks around and if they see you they would ask you how things are going. This is so that if you have any questions or concerns we could immediately address them and once it is within our abilities we try to get everything straightened out. The resort is set up to take advantage of the beautiful scenery adding a very “open air” feel to our structure. In fact, Dockside, our pool restaurant is barely enclosed so at dinner you get the sounds and views of the beach. To have that “open air” feel

We are 84 square miles of Rest & Relaxation. St. Croix would be considered the country side of any town you may have visited. We have beautiful landscapes, skies, beaches, scenery, and a lot of history and hospitality. And the most important part…the beach. The thing that makes St. Croix most attractive to travelers is that the island is very easy going. And while there is not much night life around the island, there is always some sort of fun to get into. Since not many people want to venture off property, we offer various entertainment throughout the week between the Resort and the Casino that fit within the culture of the island. Some of our major entertainments are Fire Dancers, Crab Races, Karaoke, Caribbean Beach BBQ, a DJ normally at East End Pizza on a Friday night, the Unit Band and a local musician to play a mixture of genres during dinner.

There are signs in the room telling you to safeguard your personal items. These sings are a part of the normal operational standards in any hotel. We are disappointed to hear that you found our breakfast to be lacking. Especially since you could order your eggs the way you would like them or you could try the breakfast special allowing you to have a more custom made breakfast

At Divi Carina, we try to make you feel a part of the Divi Family. We want our guests to feel relaxed and enjoy what makes us so unique and still be able to have a fun yet relaxing stay where memories are rooted deeply within their mind.

All in all, we hope that you were able to take away some fond memories of your trip to St. Croix.

Clearwater, Florida
Reviewed 15 July 2013

We love the Divi! We got married at the Divi third week in June and we describe the day as magical along w/ the other 9 days we stayed there! Patti our wedding planner ... she is terrific! She met all of our needs and wants! Bar and wait staff ( Scott, Krys, Kurt EOY, David, Carolla, Marlon, James, Beatrice) all awesome they all took the time to get to know us and made us feel so welcome !!! E.C.(manager) thank you for your dance lessons!Courtney, Wanda thankyou for your hospitality,and Shelley was very friendly and informative at gift shop as well! Everyone combined made our wedding and family vacation/honeymoon soo memorable!
Our favorite food nights were Tue. Italian Night, and then the Rok Dinner, very good as well and of course the pizza.
We did not mind signing for the checks since you have the opportunity to give extra gratuity as you see fit. As for the rooms, we stayed on 3rd floor in the newer addition and it had a great view, no problems w/ water temps (as I had read in other reviews before we arrived), our room was always clean... bed a bit firm would be only negative about the room.
There was 26 of us total most of the time there and the Divi staff took good care of us each day! It is an island resort on a beautiful island with friendly staff we are so happy we disregarded the negative reviews for as newly weds would not have changed a thing!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank 123cookie34141
EC G, Manager on Duty at Divi Carina Bay All Inclusive Beach Resort, responded to this review, 2 August 2013
Thank you for sharing a review of your wedding/family vacation. We're very happy to hear that everyone had a great time with us. You certainly were a fun loving group. Watching your shenanigans and your love for one another was absolutely astounding. Even the babies had lots of giggles.

The pleasure was ours to ensure that your wedding ceremony and reception was what you had envisioned it to be. There is just something about watching two people join hands, hearts and lives that puts a great smile on our faces.

Thanks again for sharing! We hope to see you for your anniversary celebration!

Houston, Texas
Reviewed 10 July 2013

The place was dead upon arrival.. Now we know why!!! Me & boyfriend stayed here July 2013 for 4 nights. We did NOT have warm water and were forced to take COLD showers DAILY.. Rooms are NOT CLEAN. The "buffet" consists of about 3 or 4 items. The pool sucks- no swim up bar. We were left with no electricity one night. There is NO "SPA"...not sure why the website says they have one. The view of the beach is great - too bad the hotel sucks. The rooms are COMPLETELY OVER PRICED for what you get . I am low maintenance and still thought the hotel was TERRIBLE!

Besides the hotel- we took seaborne flight to St Thomas for a day and enjoyed it. We ate dinner at The Buccaneer one night- its pricey but worth it! Also- we ate at boardwalk another night and it was ok.

• Stayed July 2013
10 Thank ilovesusielicious
EC G, Manager on Duty at Divi Carina Bay All Inclusive Beach Resort, responded to this review, 25 July 2013
We are sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your stay with us. We try our best to make sure that guests are having an enjoyable vacation by providing information about things to do at the resort as well as around the island. This information is provided at check in as well as in the Daily Divi Melee that is printed and placed on the tables at breakfast and there is always one posted at the Front Desk. In addition to this, there is a bulletin board at the main entrance to the Dockside Restaurant that gives you an idea of how to plan your week. We understand that not everyone would want to take the time out to review these information packets, so once available, a manager walks around and if they see you they would ask you how things are going. This is so that if you have any questions or concerns we could immediately address them and once it is within our abilities we try to get everything straightened out.

Having read your review, please allow me to clarify certain things. We do have a Spa located next to room 480. It is open by appointment only and appointments are made through our Gift Shop. We advertise this in our in house news letter available every morning at breakfast. Our massage therapists even offer Beach Massages on Sunday again available by appointment only.

Also, we did not have any unscheduled power outage and when we did schedule an outage it was during the day for about 15-30min to test our systems as there was a fire within our power plant back in May. These tests were done during a time where most people were not in the room so that there would be minimal affect on any vacation.

None of our buffets have only 3 or 4 items. Some are smaller than others and on those days we have a bar menu available. You are correct in that we do not have a swim up bar but we do not advertise as having one. When I asked your boyfriend how everything was going he said to me that he loved it so I’m not sure where things were going bad. Either way, we apologize for any seemingly inconvenience you experienced while with us and hope that you had the opportunity to create better memories around the island.

Ycianda “E.C.” Granville
Manager on Duty
Also consider these accommodations in or near Christiansted
Sugar Beach Condo Resort
The Buccaneer St Croix
The Buccaneer St Croix
#1 of 14 in Christiansted
Renaissance St. Croix Carambola Beach Resort & Spa

Been to Divi Carina Bay All Inclusive Beach Resort? Share your experiences!