“Nice, low key place to spend a little time” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Divi Carina Bay All Inclusive Beach Resort

Divi Carina Bay All Inclusive Beach Resort
Ranked #8 of 14 Hotels in Christiansted
Louisville, Kentucky
“Nice, low key place to spend a little time”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 March 2014

As others say, this is not a fancy place. That being said, we really enjoyed our time there. This is a small resort that seems to be an old converted hotel. It is very clean and the staff is quietly friendly and accomodating. I would definitely suggest not to stay in a room that ends in 01 (101, 201,301) Half the view from these rooms is roof/wall from the restaurant.

They have 2 restaurants on site, but they are only open one at a time. The food itself is really good and there are nightly themes (i.e. cook on a stone, Caribbean bbq, Italian buffet, etc) You DO have to pop into the gift shop to make reservations for every night. I guess to keep a head count of meals. There is a great pizza place located in the parking lot that I would highly recommend, however, the limited hours of 5-10pm and the fact that they are closed on Wednesdays and Thursdays make it hard to catch open. This is also included in your all-inclusive price. Wish they were open for lunch.

There is a small beach area with chairs as well as a beach shack that you can get paddle boats, kayaks, etc to enjoy the water. These are included in your rate. You can take a few different excursions off site like hikes, snorkeling trips, etc that cost a little more, but are worth the small fees if you are interested. You do get to check out beach towels, which are really just bath towels (small). There is also a challenging mini-golf course (included) and a casino across the street, which opens later in the evening if you are so inclined.

One thing I'd like to note is that an 18% gratuity is included in all your services (all food and drinks including bar) but you can add more if you like. You do have to sign a tab for every service, but personally, I found it interesting to keep a running tab of what we would have spent had we gone a la carte...to see if we got a good deal. Which we did. And there are a few locals, other visitors who come here for food and drinks so they do pay the prices listed. Keep track...it's interesting to see what you would have paid had you gone this route. I think you will find that it is a fairly priced vacation.

Remember that you are on VACATION here. Yes, the service is not particularly speedy, but what do you have to rush for? You're on VACATION! Just relax! We tend to think and move very quickly in the states, so this is a good time to live on Island time! In fact, there are no clocks located anywhere I could see. It was fabulous (though it took me a day or two to get used to....).

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
4 Thank taximom212
EC G, Manager on Duty at Divi Carina Bay All Inclusive Beach Resort, responded to this review, 31 March 2014
Thank you for sharing a review of your stay with us. We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay and that you were able to unwind from the hustle and bustle of day to day living. The saying is “time flies when you’re having fun” but in St. Croix, even when you’re having fun the time moves along without a worry.

Manager on Duty

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (246)
richmond va
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 March 2014

As many of you-- I have read the reviews and had some concerns prior to staying at the Divi however I can say that this was truly one of the best vacations ever!

Having said that, the purpose of my winter trip is 1) relax 2) relax 3) eat 4)sleep 5) relax. It is a "girls trip" and husbands/dogs/work/etc are left at home.

We (my cousin and I) had NO complaints about the service. The staff were friendly and responsive. Carola was AWESOME as was Marlon. The front desk staff were consistently polite and helpful. No problems with reservations/ towels/taxis.

We had no complaints about the food either -- I have to say, when I saw the buffets, I was worried but the food was really good. The ribs on barbecue night were delicious and I really liked the dinner that was served on the hot stones-- (my cousin did NOT like that dinner-- she did not like having to cook her own food-- that is how lazy we like to be on vacation!).

We did order lunch from the menu-- and they did accommodate special requests. I never saw any ice cream though... that would have been refreshing.
Alcohol was included-- but not top shelf. The beer list was fairly limited but that was not a huge issue for me. They could not make mojitos though, which is a favorite.

Breakfast was a basic buffet but you could get omelets or eggs to order. Loved having pineapple juice available -- it's the little things.

We are beach people -- not pool so while I saw the pool - it did look clean and inviting-- I did not even dip a toe in.
LOVED the beach. It was not the most beautiful beach I've been to BUT it was clean, wide enough, nice sand AND there was really good snorkeling right on site. Plenty of kayaks, paddle boards, and paddle boats to take out. The waves were constant but gentle so no challenge getting in or out of the water.

I did not notice any jellyfish-- we did see a few rays while snorkeling but they stayed on the bottom and we stayed up top!
There were ants on the beach-- they weren't biters though (although we met one guest who had bites on her legs and thinks it was from ants)

The best part of the day was the early morning-- I'd take a cup of coffee out and sit on the beach and rarely saw another person until 8 or so.

The sun was VERY strong. I recommend the highest SPF sunscreen you can find. I used 50 and practically camped out under a hut and still managed to get too much sun!

Huts (or cabanas), are available but I wish there had been more. We did not have any trouble getting one but there was only one in our section. I would have liked to have had several huts in our section of the beach (there are 3 sections, the other 2 have multiple huts).

The room was ok. Had all the basics. I really liked having a microwave and fridge in the room. The refrigerator isn't stocked (as in some AI resorts) but we were able to get a bottle of water or can of coke/beer to take back with you to your room.

For those over 50, you will appreciate that there was a magnifying mirror in the bathroom!! (again, a little thing that comes in handy!)
As said, the room was basic. We had difficulty getting the right room temperature at night. There is a ceiling fan which helped but the a/c is older and makes noise. We finally figured out that if we left the fan on continuous (rather than auto) at night, there wasn't quite as much a/c noise.
Also, the beds were ok-- basic. My biggest complaint were the pillows-- quite flat and uncomfortable (which would be relatively inexpensive upgrade). Everything else I could work around.

I had no complaints about housekeeping-- rooms were cleaned early and belongings undisturbed. We had plenty of towels-- they supplied the shampoos/conditioners/soaps/bath gels but you should bring your own lotion. There is a gift shop if you need extra sunscreen/lotion and I did not think the prices were exorbitant.

Dress is casual. We brought WAY too many clothes. Swimsuits with cover ups are fine for breakfast and lunch. Dinner was also fairly casual- many people wore shorts but there was a variety.

As far as excursions, we did the Buck Island snorkeling tour. The snorkeling was definitely the highlight- the coral was incredible-- Our tour did not include any drinks or anything so if I went again, I'd pack some refreshments for after snorkeling (i.e. water/beer/whatever). The second part of the excursion was "beach time" but that was relatively lame and by then, we just wanted to get back to town. We did enjoy the waterfront area of Christenstead. We did not do any other "off campus" excursions.

So overall, while this was not a 5 star resort, it really provided a wonderful vacation experience and we definitely plan to return!!!

Room Tip: Be careful of first floor rooms-- could get obstructed view. We had 2nd floor room which was perfec...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank spotters
EC G, Manager on Duty at Divi Carina Bay All Inclusive Beach Resort, responded to this review, 22 March 2014
Thank you for sharing a review of your stay with us. We are pleased to read that we surpassed your expectations. St. Croix is truly the place of rest an relaxation. While we are the bigger of the three U.S. Virgin Islands, we are much more of the remote vacation than many expect.

Being owned by six different countries prior to becoming American Territories has made a significant impact on our culture. Rich in luscious green hills and national ecological parks makes St. Croix the place to truly sink your feet in the sand. We love reading that you came to relax and ended up experiencing the beauty and culture of our home.

Carthage Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 March 2014

First, let me start by saying that Divi is NOT a 4-5 star resort and if you go thinking that it is or comparing it to the large chain resorts you will be disappointed. That being said, it is a great place! It is very clean, the staff was friendly and helpful and the food was wonderful. My friends and I were having a girls get away. We spent 4 nights there and wished we could have stayed longer. The resort is not a place for big party people. The bar usually closes around 10 but the casino stayed open later. We made friends with some of the staff and I have to give recognition to our favorite waiter Marlin, our favorite bartender Scott, our favorite driver Stephen and the sweetest breakfast waiter Abel. We enjoyed seeing them each day and they all went out of their way to make our stay pleasant. Overall it was a relaxing trip. The resort was not overly crowded and at times we had the beach to ourselves. We did venture into town each day via Divi's shuttle and we recomend taking the all day Tan Tan Jeep tour. We cant wait to go back to Divi!

Room Tip: All the rooms have a balcony or patio overlooking the ocean...there are no bad rooms!
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Denise M
Thank you for sharing a review of your getaway with us. We are happy to hear that you found our hospitality, culture and island to be a wonderful experience and that you will be back to do it all over again. We continually strive to best serve our guests and by your glowing comments, it seems that we're certainly on track.

The Tan Tan Jeep Tours are spectacular for the adventurous soul looking to take a tour off the beaten path. Life is an adventure and by taking this tour, you've certainly added a great experience to the story of your life.

Thanks again for sharing! See you on your next trip to St. Croix and the Divi Carina Bay!

Nashua, New Hampshire
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 March 2014

Just stayed there last week. Reviews when booking were pretty solid. Truth is this is very over rated. All inclusion fees were high. We were required to sign for every tab or order which was a pain. Service was slow and very in polished. Bar tenders were running up the tab to get a greater % of tips which I am think built resentment between servers and bar tenders. Beach was pore to say the least. I got into the water twice all week but would have been in 20 times a day if it wasn't both full of seaweed and rocks. They claim to get food any time but that nay require going across the street to the casino where if your not gambling you get ignored. Tried to order a calzone at the "best pizza" 35 minutes before they closed we got turned down. Offered to make a pizza after we argued for it to only come out raw. Best meal was with the stone cooking. Ordrr git lost, reordered an hour later, wrong meals came out, tgrn asked gir ticket to be signed by 2 servers to still be ignored so we walked out after 2-1/2 hours. Very disappointed!!! Your vacation dollar is worth way more than this place!!

• Stayed March 2014
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank usac81
Thank you for sharing a review of the time you stayed with us. We are sorry to hear that you were displeased with your stay. As a resort dedicated to providing excellent customer service, we strive to continually meet the needs of our guest every day. When things do not seem to go according to plan, it is important that you bring the matter to our attention so that it may be addressed during your stay.

Manager on Duty

Travellers are raving about these Christiansted hotels

St. Petersburg, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 March 2014

After what started out to be a disastrous trip, Divi resort turned it into the best trip and vacation ever! This resort took my friend & I in after our original resort turned out to be a run down, rat invested place. Divi worked with Expedia and took us in at 3 in the morning (thank you to Brandy our taxi driver getting up so early to get us) and made us feel so welcome. For the stress and frustration of our original place, Divi & Expedia worked together to give us an amazing vacation. They upped us to all inclusive for no extra charge. The staff (Ms. Anna, Ycianda "EC", Edmond, Althea, and Robert), just to name a few; made our trip amazing! I can't say enough wonderful things about this place. It I was so relaxing and they provided us with the information we needed for things to do and help you line up any thing you choose. Edmond was there almost everyday to help us line up transportation to go anywhere and was very accommodating and willing to help us with whatever we needed or directed us as to where we should go! EC was also always there for information and help as well, and I can't leave out the great dance lessons she provided too! If you are looking for a nice laid back, friendly, fun and relaxing stay, then this is the place for you! You have everything you need their and more. We will definitely be going back! Thank you everyone for a great stay!

Room Tip: I was glad to stay on an upper level to be able to leave my balcony door open at night to listen to...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
4 Thank SaLb99
EC G, Manager on Duty at Divi Carina Bay All Inclusive Beach Resort, responded to this review, 11 March 2014
Thank you for sharing a review of your vacation with us. We are elated to hear that we were able to turn your frowns upside down. It was a pleasure to share our Caribbean heritage and American history with you.

Thanks again for sharing.

Chapel Hill, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 March 2014

We chose the Divi because of the beach-front rooms, and we were not disappointed. The place was the perfect get-away if you want to spend time relaxing on the beach and enjoying the beautiful, clear water. The hotel was older but nice, the setting fantastic. The food and drink were plentiful and good.

Room Tip: I would recommend a room away from the dining area…the view is better at the other end.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank patshane
Thank you for sharing a review of your trip with us. We are pleased to read that you took delight in staying with us. Your comments let us know that we are on the right track to being able to best serve our guests.

warrenton ,va
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 March 2014

After reading so many varying views of this resort, I read between the lines & decided it had everything I wanted and those naysayers would not be happy anywhere ,as I have found from my extensive travels and use of Trip Advisor for information. After all, how bad can a resort be with ALl oceanfront rooms!!!
About the only part of the trip that was very troublesome was my arrival on the Virgin Islands. The taxi rates show that if more than two people are going to a spot and you get a reduced rate. So I got a group of people together at the airport to drive to the hotel and the dispatcher decided that I had to still pay a single rate .He became very irate And refused to let me see his badge so I could report him. He even created a scene at the airport to make it seem like I was harassing him.!!! I was hoping my trip would improve . The taxi system is a monopoly, so they rather have you over a barrel as there is no public transportation & rental cars are quite expensive.
My arrival at the hotel was very efficiently taken care of by very pleasant desk staff & I was off to my room. Yes, I did take my own luggage( carry on) but I'm sure if I had asked, someone would have been available to take it for me . This is not a major resort teaming with staff as many might think. It is a laid back resort for those who want some peace and quiet.
My room (307) was on the East 3rd floor. It had a lovely beachfront view & I could hear the surf rolling in...pure bliss!!! The room was clean, spacious and comfortable..no not particularly modern, but very comfortably furnished. The beds were quite comfortable perhaps the pillows were a little "lumpy" but that's the worst thing I could find!!the bathroom had a nice relaxing tub and all the usual amenities. A short walk to the lobby one way & the casino the other way not to mention the beach & pool a short stairway away..unlike other reviewers, I can find no fault with the rooms at all unless they're people who are used to paying at least triple for the same amenities.
The beach has nice white sand small to med waves , nice beachfront chairs & huts. One can have a nice walk either way . Yes, there is some seaweed , not much, and the staff work hard each day to collect as much as possible. Some parts are a little rocky at the entrance to the water but once in no problem. Snorkeling just off the resort site is very good and a very short walk away. The activities director takes groups out several times a week & provide all equipment needed.
The reef has quite a prolific display of fish and coral.
The pool is very adequate, quiet and perfect for the size of the resort. Because of the nature of the resort, there are few kids to cause disruptions to the peace. It is much more adult oriented .the best thing that I loved was not getting up at the crack of dawn to reserve a chair!! Chairs& shade/sun are plentiful and few people race to the beach or pool early as in other resorts. As mentioned, there is a dive shack and a beach activities shack with scuba, snorkel, raft and paddle boat activities available.
I found the food service and the restaurant quite above average for an all inclusive. The restaurant is spacious and has lovely sea views. There is also an attached outside veranda for all meals. Breakfast on the veranda is SO nice each morning!!! There is a breakfast bar and also eggs can be cooked to order if desired. Lunch is served on the pool veranda & has a different theme each day for a hot meal. One can also order off the menu. The dinners are varied and theme oriented. The first night I had the Rock dinner, literally cooked on a rock at your table!! It offered different meats and other items.... Delicious and quite different.. There was a Caribbean night on the pool veranda with a great selection of food, a pig roast night, and We had a lovely Valentines night dinner in the restaurant with prime rib, salmon, pork roast all served up with theme decorated table and a full moon to boot...!!! I can't imagine why anyone would complain about the food.!!! Yes, drinks are a little watered down by some bartenders but others do a great job and will give you whatever you want. Also there is a pizza shack on the resort that has wonderful pizza according to everyone, I just never stopped as the dinners were all too good to pass up.
I loved the casino. It was a very easy walk and had enough table games and slots for any amateur gambler. The slots paid well enough to keep me back each night.
Activities off site are not plentiful as the island is not developed enough to support a lot of tourism . I think it is on the cusp though as I noted a Wyndam and golf course scheduled to be built nearby and ALOT of open land for development.i did take the island snorkeling tout though with and that was a very pleasant trip a ride out in a catamaran, snorkeling for about 1 1/2 hrs & a beach/ hiking stop on the way back. Bring plenty of SPF for this trip if you take though as there is lots of sun exposure. Also bring drinks & a picnic lunch. Gear is provided. I also went into "town" an old Dutch trading city. Very quaint, but not much to do or see. Several tourist shops for the cruise ships. I was very content to stay at the resort as they had some fun nighttime activities; crab races one night, Caribbean themed dances another and enough to do each evening where the activities stop at a reasonable hour. Some outsiders come to some of these events ,but it is never overpopulated .
As to visibility of the staff & room for complaints, the manager, Andreas, works in a glass enclosed office in the lobby and is totally approachable for any problems (or compliments) & EC Granville circulates at night amongst all the guests to make sure things are going well . There is no reason why people wait until AFTER their vacation to voice any complaints when they are there to make things run smoothly.
This a a great place to escape for a break if you are looking for an adult type resort. If you're looking for the hi life and an expensive mega resort lifestyle, this is not your resort.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
8 Thank perWarrenton_va
EC G, Manager on Duty at Divi Carina Bay All Inclusive Beach Resort, responded to this review, 10 March 2014
Thank you for sharing such an in-depth review of your stay with us. We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed all that the Divi Carina Bay All Inclusive Resort has to offer and that you did not allow one experience to determine how the rest of your stay would go. The island of St. Croix is certainly the place to go when you want to wind down and relax. The tranquility and undeveloped beauty of the island is what makes this place “home” to many of us. We know how stressful and fast pace life can get and appreciate that you were able to find that sweet spot to serenity.

Manager on Duty
Also consider these accommodations in or near Christiansted
Tamarind Reef Resort, Spa & Marina
The Buccaneer St Croix
#1 of 14 in Christiansted
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,323 reviews
Renaissance St. Croix Carambola Beach Resort & Spa

Been to Divi Carina Bay All Inclusive Beach Resort? Share your experiences!