“Very Relaxing”

Divi Carina Bay All Inclusive Beach Resort
Ranked #8 of 14 Hotels in Christiansted
“Very Relaxing”
Reviewed 25 May 2014

Just came back from a great vacation to St. Croix. All in all, the resort itself was okay, it had the necessities, but nothing more. It is a little run down. My boyfriend and I were looking for a relaxing get-a-way and we got it! Didn't expect a 5 star resort, but it was just enough. Rooms were clean, service was relatively good, and the accommodations overall were good. Not too much to do around the island, some tours and the usual snorkeling trips. The best part of the resort was the food. It was the best I have ever had a resort! Each night there was a new themed food night! Over all a great vacation, nothing fancy!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Jillian H
EC G, Manager on Duty at Divi Carina Bay All Inclusive Beach Resort, responded to this review, 9 June 2014
Thank you for sharing a review of your stay with us. We are pleased to hear that you were able to find the rest and relaxation you were looking for. We continually strive to provide a comfortable and friendly service. It's seems like we achieved this with your trip.

Manager on Duty

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (250)
Nacogdoches, Texas
Reviewed 5 May 2014

My husband and I stayed at the Divi Carina, Apr. 23-29. We usually go to the Divi resort in Aruba and decided to try this Divi resort. When we checked in, we discovered the room was a little far from the lobby, etc. due to my husband's knee problems. The staff graciously and patiently honored our requests to change rooms. Edmond was so nice in allowing me to pick the room. All the staff at the Divi are very nice and will go out of their way to accommodate your requests. We did not find one staff member who was not friendly and accommodating. The rooms were very clean and were a nice size. We had a excellent view of the ocean and loved the beautiful sunrise every day. We stayed on the second floor, room 257. The stairs to go down to the beach were right beside our room. The food and drinks were excellent. We loved especially the Rok dinner. It is so delicious and we had it twice while we were there. Every bite is warm. I felt the food was always warm and not cold like some reviews state. Breakfast was always good and you can order eggs the way you like them. Most every night we had the pleasure of talking to E.C. She is great and very informative. We enjoyed talking to her each evening. It's great to see someone who takes the time to get to know everyone. All the staff work very hard to please all the guests. It is certainly laid back there in St. Croix and you have to stop to think why you would be in such a hurry to do anything there. Very relaxing. We loved the Moko Jumbies and the local cultural dancers for entertainment. I participated in the Crab races. That was a hoot! Won a prize too. They give out great prizes at the crab races on Thursday nights. As for the beach there, it is a little on the rocky side as far as the bottom goes. I recommend you bring water shoes. That would have been better and we would have enjoyed the ocean more if we had brought some. We also did some snorkeling around the resort and saw some sting rays and coral reef. Richard was great with the water activities. He's a very funny guy and very informative. Other staff members whom we thought were great were Jose, Scotty, Eustachia and Beatrice. I can truly say all staff were great. I just didn't get all their names.
We were there during a slow time I presume because there were not very many people there during our stay. But that made is all the more relaxing I think. The only negative thing we did not like is the fact the locals come in on the weekends and sometimes take over the place. There was a large group of kids one day that came out and took over the pool area. I know the resort prides themselves in allowing the locals to come there and know they pay also, but for folks that have been there for a week or so, I feel that someone needs to address the groups that come in and make sure they are not being rowdy or rude to other guests. Everyone that was out at the pool at the time, vacated the premise. I had other guests say they made a lot of noise at night and they had to change rooms. And yes, they did come and complain. I myself saw some local people come around the end of the building and were using the facility chairs and pool deck. The sign says hotel guests only. I know the beaches are public, but don't feel they should be able to use the poolside facilities either. I did go up and say something to the front desk personnel about it. As far as the large groups, maybe they could be told since they are only there for one day, to use the pool area over across the street so as not to disturb the guests who have been there for longer periods of time. I did enjoy seeing the different families there, but only if they are respectful of the other guests that have been there for longer periods. Maybe security could monitor the situation more closely.
We did go and take the Buck Island snorkeling trip. I highly recommend that. The beaches and waters there were beautiful. I went shopping downtown one day also. There are some good shops there and reasonably priced also. My favorite is the Tropical Bracelet Factory. They jewelry is handmade there and affordably priced. The owners are very nice. Also Rum Runners is an excellent place to eat down by the docks. Might suggest renting a car because the cab fares are a bit pricey.
All in all, our stay was great and we liked staying at the Divi Carina. We enjoyed seeing the beautiful St. Croix and understand why some people just go there and stay and work there. It's truly laid back and you definitely feel you are on "island time". Yes, we will have great memories of our stay.

Room Tip: Rooms to the right of the lobby have better views of the ocean. Rooms to the left are close to the...
4 Thank 5MimiG
EC G, Manager on Duty at Divi Carina Bay All Inclusive Beach Resort, responded to this review, 29 May 2014
Thank you for sharing such glowing remarks about our resort and staff. We are delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you were able to take away such fond memories.

Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
Reviewed 4 May 2014

I had planned this trip a year in advance and am going to hopefully book again for next year! We met some incredible people and had the best time we have ever had on a vacation. Every meal was incredible. The drinks and food were plentiful. Krys is one of the bartenders and she has the best attitude AND she makes the best drinks. The snorkeling around the dock and down the beach was beautiful, well until i was frightened by a sting ray. LOL. Even though it scared me a bit, we went back out to snorkel again. The rooms were very clean and the views from the room were breathtaking. E.C. is very very good at her job but aside from that she is also one of the best people I have ever met. She is informative and very knowledgeable about every thing on the island. E.C is great!!!! We loved this resort!

2 Thank Theresa F
EC G, Manager on Duty at Divi Carina Bay All Inclusive Beach Resort, responded to this review, 27 May 2014
Thank you for sharing a review of your stay with us. We are pleased to read that you enjoyed our hospitality. Most times you hear when you are not meeting the expectations of others. It's great to hear when we are doing things right. It was our pleasure to show you our Island Hospitality.

Crystal Lake, Illinois
Reviewed 17 April 2014

Beautiful water views from all the rooms. The food and drinks were amazing. Very nice beach. There is a decent snorkeling spot right off the beach, that you will have to ask the locals to find. Staff was very nice. Overall a very enjoyable stay.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank gatorcop
EC G, Manager on Duty at Divi Carina Bay All Inclusive Beach Resort, responded to this review, 12 May 2014
Thank you for sharing a review of your stay with us. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay and were able to take away fond memories of your trip to St. Croix.

Christiansted, St. Croix
Reviewed 13 April 2014

This was my second time staying at this resort. I live on St. Croix, so I've also been to different events out at the Divi before. The rooms are great. However, their food is terrible. Every time I've eaten breakfast there, ALL of the food that is supposed to be warm, is cold. Never fails. THEN, they had this Pig Roast for dinner and it was $32 per person. (We didn't get the all-inclusive package.) My boyfriend and I decided to splurge, so we were SO excited for dinner. We get there and go to the buffet, and again, the food was COLD! The pork was salty and COLD. We get our $64 bill and we were so disappointed. I will never recommend this place for my friends to stay at. It's unfortunate, because it's such a beautiful resort. But when you're that far away from other food places, you kind of have to eat there. East End Pizza is great, though! But who wants to have pizza every night?

4 Thank CassidyStCroix
EC G, Manager on Duty at Divi Carina Bay All Inclusive Beach Resort, responded to this review, 16 April 2014
Thank you for sharing a review of your stay with us. We are sorry to hear that you were displeased with your dining experience. The Divi Carina Bay All Inclusive Resort and its staff are dedicated to providing excellent customer service and strive to continually meet the needs of our guest. When things do not seem to go according to plan, it is important that you bring the matter to our attention so that it may be addressed immediately. We know that some people enjoy their meal at a hotter temperature than others. With a quick request, we would be happy to warm the food for you.

Thank you once again for bringing the matter to our attention. Your concerns let us know what works and what does not work. They also help us to improve on our procedures or what we offer for future guests. We’re happy to hear that the rest of your stay went very well and that you enjoyed the hospitality at the resort.

Moran, Wyoming, United States
Reviewed 11 April 2014

We loved the resort! Love the open air feel, the location, and the lack of crowds. Everything was gorgeous- the room, restaurants, pool area, beach, balcony, etc. It was great being on the all inclusive package. Because of how much we ate and drank, I would say we definitely saved some money by being on the package. Plus, on vacation, it's nice to have it already paid for and not have to stress about budgeting meals and such. While we had weather that wasn't typical (couple days of rain), we still had fun and that was greatly due to the services available at the resort (mini golf, casino, kayaks, outdoor bar, etc). Our room was clean and the balcony had a wonderful view that we loved seeing in the mornings and evenings. Really great having different themes for dinner- making each night feel like a totally different dining experience. The Rok dinner, while a bit daunting, was by far the nicest and best tasting! We went snorkeling at Buck Island and spent a day at Rainbow Beach with Jet ski rentals and it was a blast! Divi is on the eastern end, meaning it receives an almost constant breeze. We enjoyed it because it kept the humidity down and there were no bugs, but other guests said they were annoyed by the wind. At Divi there was always something for us to do and we would definitely go back.

In numerous other reviews it has been mentioned that the service is slow. While I don't disagree, my companion and I discussed this between ourselves and with locals- the whole island lives a more relaxed lifestyle than those of us from the mainland, meaning their pace of life is slower. They are all friendly and ready to please and show the great things St. Croix has to offer, and they don't mean to be rude or a poor worker, rather, that's just the whole island's pace. Whether in Christiansted or at Rainbow beach, everyone's enjoying every second of the day, equaling that slower pace.

Room Tip: 204 has a great view of the pool area and ocean, allows you to see nightly entertainment from the ba...
6 Thank Samantha S
EC G, Manager on Duty at Divi Carina Bay All Inclusive Beach Resort, responded to this review, 15 April 2014
Thank you for sharing a review of your stay at Divi Carina Bay. We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed the time you shared with us. You are correct in that island living is certainly at a slower pace.Slowing down is a great way to enjoy a relaxing vacation. That’s even clearer when you get to this 82 square mile island. The sun rises and sets around the same time every day. There is no time change. But most importantly, everywhere you turn there is a beach or some adventure to be had.

We’re glad that you got to experience “Life in the Left Lane” and that you took back fond memories of the Resort and the island. Thanks again for sharing!

Ycianda “E.C.” Granville
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Reviewed 8 April 2014

I visited the Divi Carina Bay from April 3, 2014 to April 7, 2014. The resort is as classified, a 3 star at best. It wasn't bug infested or anything like that but you definitely know the minute you get there that it's not a high end resort. The hotel shows signs of wear and little to no maintenance. The beach was not groomed and was filled with seaweed along the entire shore. Not a big deal, you can walk on it to get to the water, but it's not the picturesque image they advertise either. The one thing I didn't like was that the hotel is open to the public. The restaurants and beach are available for anyone to use. (Sunday is Island Family Day and everyone from the island is welcome to spend the entire day at the resort.) For this reason, you have to sign for everything you eat and drink when served. That can get annoying when you want to just grab a drink and go to the beach (they only serve drinks at the bar or dinner table).

The food wasn't terrible (good flavor) but the selection was minimal with only one restaurant open. There is also a pizza shack open from Friday to Sunday but the pizza is just average, not great. The food always arrived cold. I recommend ordering breakfast off the menu. The omelets were served hot when special ordered. The drinks were good. Scott, one of the bartenders, will take good care of you.

The service was hit or miss. A few staff members were very friendly and helpful, the majority were not. They weren't rude but I got the impression that the St. Croix culture is more reserved and they are not very outgoing and friendly.

There really isn't much to do at the resort. There are a few water sports but not much. The snorkeling was excellent. Robert at the activities desk will help you with whatever water sports you want to do. I recommend his hike tour to Isaac Bay Beach. Fortunately we rented a car and were able to get out and see the sights.

Overall the resort is not too bad but a bit overpriced for the "all-inclusive" amenities offered. You may end up spending the same amount staying at a higher end resort and paying for your food and drinks.

6 Thank FLSand
Thank you for sharing a review of your stay. Your comments and observations are greatly appreciated. We are happy to hear that you were able to enjoy your time here. Just a quick clarification on the beach…since we are located within the East End Marine Park there are some guidelines that we must follow when cleaning the beach. Beach cleaning happens daily early in the morning so as not to impede on the guests enjoyment of the shoreline. Also, all beaches on the island by law is to be available to the public. There are no private beaches. When the local community enjoys our facilities, we believe that it speaks volumes about our service and our ability to include our culture into the various things that we offer.

We’re sorry to hear that you found our food to be a bit lacking as most of our guests enjoy their dining experience in each of our restaurants. Nonetheless, we are happy that you were able to take away some fond memories of your trip.

Thanks again for sharing.

Ycianda “E.C.” Granville
Manager on Duty
Also consider these accommodations in or near Christiansted
Tamarind Reef Resort, Spa & Marina
The Buccaneer St Croix
#1 of 14 in Christiansted
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,358 reviews
Renaissance St. Croix Carambola Beach Resort & Spa

Been to Divi Carina Bay All Inclusive Beach Resort? Share your experiences!