“A Casual "Tropical Camp"”
Review of Hotel on the Cay

Hotel on the Cay
Ranked #5 of 14 Hotels in Christiansted
GreenLeadersBronze level
San Juan, Puerto Rico
“A Casual "Tropical Camp"”
Reviewed 23 April 2014 via mobile

Understand that hotels in the Caribbean often do not have wall-to-wall carpeting and yes, you might see an ant or two but boy oh boy, the physical property of this spot is unparalleled My friend and I enjoyed buying snack/gift items onsite from Shopkeeper Mary, a fantastic asset to the hotel! We also enjoyed the helpfulness of thr Housekeeping Staff -- superb! It was wonderful to come back "home" to this very not-fancy but clean, safe and idyllic property on an island all it's own. We brought our own food and hardly ever left the island. It really felt like a getaway that way! We plan to return next year. Big thanks to the Grounds Staff who works so hard to keep the grounds as nice as a Ritz Carlton, yay Hector and all the rest of the team. My friend and I especially enjoyed sitting on the balcony from our second floor room with its' postcard view. It's not fancy here but if you're a fairly self-sufficient hotel guest, you'll do fine here. Thank you!!!!!!!

Stayed April 2014

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (139)
Port Lavaca, Texas
Reviewed 22 April 2014

The hotel staff was wonderful. The rooms are standard with amazing views. The equipped mini kitchen worked out well for us. Flat screen tv, balcony and updated bath. A/C worked great. The location and beach area could not have been more perfect. Peaceful and relaxing, snorkeling was great. The pool area was very nice and private. Husband and I loved it and will be returning. The water taxi was very enjoyable and only a short trip to the boardwalk. Can't say enough about this wonderful little island paradise. The people were incredibly friendly!!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 April 2014 via mobile

We arrived April 18, first time. BOAT RIDE: We took a little boat to the island appro. 2 mins all day until 12:00 a.m. but you can call if you arrive later.. The staff was great..

Room: We had a ocean view front which was beautiful. It had flat screen t.v, microwave, toaster, utensils etc...very clean.

SMALL ISLAND: We walked around the whole island beautiful sunsets pics and the beach was nice. On the property there's a Restaraunt right on the beach.

Boardwalk was excellent to shop..

SUPERMARKET:I find it Pricy.

Casino: We had free dinner at the divi hotel and went to the casino and they had a live band.. I was happy I did not book their because it wasn't like the hotel cay where everything was walking distance for shopping, restaurant. . But the hotel is also beautiful..

• Stayed April 2014
San Juan
Reviewed 14 April 2014 via mobile

I just arrived home today from a short two day stay at HOTC and couldn't have been happier. My room had a beautiful unobstructed sea view and it's own kitchenette. The bath looked recently remodeled as was the kitchen. The staff was lovely and everyone polite and welcoming. The room had cold ac and cable tv. I didn't need internet but know there is a PC in lobby with it. The hotel has its own beach and is a short (2 min) boat ride to the main land and downtown Christiansted. Highly recommended.

Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
Virginia Beach, Virginia
Reviewed 11 April 2014

My boyfriend and I just returned from our trip to St. Croix. We have a friend who lives in Christiansted who we stayed with for the first few nights, but stayed at Hotel on the Cay to have a little "alone time" and it was perfect! We were extremely early for check in (which is at 2pm), but they let us keep our bags in the office so we could go explore, and even offered to move them up to our room when it was ready. The ferry took about 2 minutes one way, and is free for hotel guests. The boat captain's a super friendly, and they are extremely grateful if you leave a couple dollars tip a day. The view from our room was amazing! We had a third floor balcony, facing Gallows Bay, and I managed to get a great sunrise picture on our last morning. Our room was very clean, no complaints there. It was nice that it came with a little kitchenette (microwave, toaster oven, mini fridge) and even included cups and plates in the cabinets. There was also AC in our room, though we didn't really need to use it and preferred to just keep the balcony doors open (we enjoyed falling asleep to the sound of waves). I was a little hesitant to book here at first, do to some not so great reviews I read, but I'm definitely glad we did! For the price (one of the cheapest on the island), it far exceeded my expectations. We did not eat at the restaurant/bar attached to the hotel, but we did get a couple frozen drinks which were so-so. I would recommend taking the ferry into the harbor for food/entertainment. Overall, great trip, we will definitely be back!

Room Tip: Choose a room facing Gallows Bay so you can catch the sunrise!
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Annapolis, Maryland
Reviewed 11 April 2014

My husband and I joined friends for our first trip to St. Croix and stayed with them at Hotel on the Cay. This was also my first ever Caribbean trip. I can't wait to go back and it will be to Hotel on the Cay. We had such an amazing week. The people were incredibly friendly and it really felt like being at home in paradise.

There is plenty to do in St. Croix, but being on the island at the hotel puts everything you'd want to do right there for you. The beach is beautiful and Michelle has a ton of toys to offer at St. Croix Water Sports, right there at the hotel. We saw so many incredible creatures snorkeling around our little private island. I hestitate to share anymore or our island won't remain so private!!!

Room Tip: Can't say there's a bad room in the bunch. We had a lovely view of the ocean!
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Green Bay, Wisconsin
Reviewed 10 April 2014

I spent two nights in the hotel for business meetings. I was excited when I realized the hotel was on its own island. I got to the hotel from the ferry service and found it to be outdated. No place to eat besides the beach BBQ not owned by the hotel that charged high prices for next to nothing buffet style service. Then they bring you drinks non stop but don't tell you that they are excluded from the buffet. The rooms were vintage Caribbean, no soap, no shampoo in the bathroom. Guest services were not pleasant at all. I had a 2:30 flight had asked for a later check out when I checked in day of check out as I was getting ready I had someone pounding on my door screaming to threaten me with additional charges if I didn't leave right now. This was during a slow period of the year and I have ten guys going back for work which I will not put them in this hotel. I have traveled through out 50 different countries and this was bay far my worst experience with a hotel.

• Stayed April 2014