“Friendly and accommodating staff makes your visit ideal”
Review of Hotel on the Cay

Hotel on the Cay
Ranked #4 of 14 Hotels in Christiansted
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 10 June 2010

Hosting a dozen friends at a hotel to which they have never visited can be a nerve-wracking experience - unless you are going to Hotel On The Cay. Just recently, I arranged for a group of my friends and I to spend Memorial Day Weekend at this fabulously relaxing, somewhat retro oasis. Everyone raved about the peaceful ambience but most of all, it was the staff that earned the overall accolades. Without exception, everyone raved about their experiences. Our group traveled from nearby St. Thomas for the long weekend. The getaway was a spectacularly memorable event for each of us. The proximity to downtown Christiansted from this tiny island is such a joy - and the 90 second ferry ride, a complimentary trip for hotel guests, truly is the ultimate upbeat definition of the phrase: 'So near and yet so far.' Visit and enjoy.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled with friends

Reviewed 14 May 2010

Stayed a week at Hotel on the Cay, and competed in the St. Croix 70.3 Triathlon, too. New manager at the hotel was very engaging, called us by name, and listened to our suggestions and ideas. This hotel/timeshare has had a checkered past, but seems on the road to a great recovery. New guest services team, rooms were clean and tidy, and the grounds are getting spruced up. Not only that, it's a great value and you can't beat the location.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled on business
2  Thank kscycler
Reviewed 2 May 2010

hotel on the cay has rooms with AMAZING views....thats it! it is dated,very dirty, and has no cable, or internet service. it is a timeshare with no one in charge, so it is falling apart. really sad! the restaurant on the island is NOT connected to the hotel, so they close at 3 pm. no grocery stores near, so taxi drives are necessary. first and LAST trip~

Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 April 2010

When my husband and I stayed here,it was like paradise.Beautiful views from the whole area.Though the rooms are not new,they were very well kept.I can't say enough about the cleanlinest.Everyone was so friendly,especially Freddie,our ferry caption.The only thing that we were dissatified was the Mumbie's show and the meal afterward.There was only one Mumbie which was very sad.To me the dood was inedible.I would not attend it again.Also the tv. channels need to be updated badly.
The activity for the crab race was still being advertised,even tho it was no longer being done.That was a ruined night for us.we had planned on seeing that.
We will be back though !!!!! Kathy & Richard.

Reviewed 5 April 2010

My wife, daughter and I had a pleasant stay with excellent service from the staff. The hotel is right next to the action in Chritiansted, but being on its own small island, the hotel is quiet and family-friendly. Just a 30-second boat-ride gets you back and forth from the hotel to town. My wife especially liked the boat ride. She said it added to the atmosphere of being in the Caribbean.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 21 March 2010

My boyfriend and I stayed at HOTC March 15-19. I did a lot of research on Trip Advisor before choosing this hotel. It seemed to have everything we wanted. It has a beach, ocean views, and close to restaurants in town.

The room was very dated...def needed some upgrades. We knew this going into it though so I would not count this against the place. We didn't spend much time in the room anyway. We basically just slept there and showered there. The view from our balcony was great!

The staff at the hotel was very friendly and always helpful so that was a plus. Taking the ferry back and forth was fun too :-)

We took advantage of the Tuesday night buffet. The food was good and the entertainment was great. We did not stay long after dinner because we were both tired from swimming and walking around town all day. The waitstaff there was great.

Overall, we had a great time there...the location of the hotel is great. If you are looking for a 5 star place...then this isnt it. But if you are looking for a hotel in a great location for a great price I would def suggest checking this place out. Its the only hotel in the town with a beach...so I would keep that in mind when booking your trip to St. Croix!

3  Thank shannyb41
Reviewed 18 March 2010

The reviews that tell it how it is - such as, don't expect a 5-star set-up yet enjoy the uniqueness of what you can tell was once was, are correct. The people that complain need to do their homework "on" tripadvisor before filing a complaint on tripadvisor. This way, your expectations are what they are.

My wife and I went to Buck Island and we unintentionally left sand all over the hotel room and I was curious if it was going to be picked up by the maid service and it was. We also locked ourselves out of the room which I guess happens frequently and no complaints, they came to our rescue. Another words, a fancier hotel with poor service is to me less than a lesser hotel with great service.

Again, a very unique place, an especially great place if you can see past the current quality to understand that at one time, it had to be the #1 back in its day and today simply is a place of history which the conditions of the hotel will tell.

If you are going on a vacation to stay in your hotel room, may I suggest just going down your street and choosing one of those. If you are going to travel, esp. to a place like the VI, then all a hotel room is ...is a place to sleep. WHY pay ridiculous money for a hotel room which looks pretty for the few hours you spend in it vs. the time you should be spending on the beach or enjoying the finer things in life which exist outside your hotel room.

Overall, what made this unique to us was that we were staying on an Island of an Island...who can say that they've done that?

4  Thank SmallTownKids
Also consider these accommodations in or near Christiansted
Club Comanche
The Buccaneer St Croix
The Buccaneer St Croix
#1 of 14 in Christiansted
Renaissance St. Croix Carambola Beach Resort & Spa

Been to Hotel on the Cay? Share your experiences!