All reviewsdeep endgreen caybingo nightbuck islandpaddle boardsst croixrooms are largefish tacossnorkel gearlaid backfun activitiesscreen doorgreat view of the oceanthe beach is niceeast end of the islandsmall islandrenting a car
Reviewed 22 June 2012

My wife and I just returned from a great trip to St. Croix and we were very happy with my decision to stay at the Tamarind Reef! We took advantage of the free kayaks and snorkel gear and kayaked over to the island about 500 yards off the hotel beach. We parked the kayaks on the beach and snorkeled for awhile, we were the only people on the island! We loved the food and company at the "Deep End" resataurant! Our bartender Greg was a true professional and made the best "Painkiller" we had our whole stay! He even invited us out on his boat on a scuba trip to collect some of the invasive "Lion fish", we don't scuba but just enjoyed the ride! The hotel is in a great location, just 5 min. from downtown Christiansted. Be sure and visit the Fort Christian Brew Pub on the boardwalk for a sunset dinner or get there around 10pm and dance by the bar to the DJ spun tunes! Visit Buck island and St. John, but don't bother with St. Thomas, it's crowded and there is lot's of traffic!

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank chriswphoto
Reviewed 30 May 2012

We stayed here on this our first trip to the US Virgin Islands. Based on the wonderful setting, great staff and overall experience, we will be back. The resort beach and pool are great to relax, read and catch some sun. Good food in the Deep End!! Jerry was the best to recommend sites to see and help us navigate the snorkeling. Sharon steered us to Kim's restaurant in downtown Christiansted. The local cuisine was exactly what we'd been trying to find. We met Lorena, the owner and her daughter Carol. It was such a wonderful experience. Also rent a car. We put over 250 miles on our jeep, well worth it!! Cane Bay Beach had beautiful snorkeling, but take drinks and some food, it's a bit pricey if not. Make certain you have at least one meal at Villa Morales in Fredricksted. J.T. makes the best mojito I have ever had. Locally owned and operated for over 60 years! Well worth the visit for homemade dishes that are reasonably priced in a family atmosphere.

Room Tip: A room with a kitchenette was a great value....good for left overs, breakfast foods and storing your own adult beverages for those beautiful nights on the patio!!
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 May 2012

This was a quick business trip for me, only had to stay one night. Honestly it isnt a place i would chose for myself, but i wound up having a good time. It gave me the feel of Cheers... where everybody knows your name. The staff was very friendly. The rooms are not state of the art, they still have the old style flowery bedspreads (not a fan), the bathrooms are also pretty old (but clean). The rooms have screens in the bathroom and the front door so that you can let the natural air in. ( i am not a fan of geckos, iguanas etc which are all over, so i didnt use this feature.) My room also had a pretty huge balcony (also did not use). I may actually be giving an unfair rating based on my own fears of the bugs and wild life. All of the room doors are facing the outside... ( i prefer indoor hotels vs the motel set up). The pool is near the restaurant on site (dinner and breakfast were pretty tasty here). Wear pants though.... the mosquitos will devour your ankles (learned that the hard way). We played Trivial pursuit with the locals during dinner on tuesday... had lots of fun! The beach is very rocky... but according to the beach keeper, it has some of the best corals ever. They also allow for sunbathing however you like it. eh? there is nothing in walking distance from the hotel... and the cab to the airport was $30.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 23 May 2012

Four of us went down in May of 2012. My wife, son and his fiance. This is an absolutley wonderful place. It is quiet and quaint but there is plenty to do from snorkling, kyaking, swimming, sunning or just relaxing. there is a marina next door with a sailboat charter to Buck Island that is a must for any visit. Great food at the onsite restaurants and plenty of convenient local fare as well. Rent a car so you can tour the whole island. The rain forest is incredible. The staff is the best that I have ever encountered at a resort/hotel. A wonderful trip at a great value.

Room Tip: All of the rooms are ocean front with great views. Building 3 is the closest to the pool and the beach area.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 2 April 2012

I did not stay here but used the Marina and grounds. The Marina is in an excellent location to get to Buck Island, and is an excellent location to get to Christiansted via boat or car.

The beach has an awesome reef that is great for snorkeling.

• Stayed: February 2012