25 years ago, my fiance and I moved to St. Croix, and for a few months, we made the Danish Manor-know then as The Chart House- our home.
I had always held fond memories of the place, and was dismayed to see, while looking at this and other websites, that it had fallen into a sad state of disrepair.
Then, last month, we moved back down to St. Croix, and required a place to stay while acquiring a house. Out of a sense of curiousity and loyalty, we went by to check it out.
We were thrilled to see that it has been bought by the people who own the King Christian Hotel, and is lovingly and beautifully being restored and improved. And the name has been changed to The Company House Hotel.
While we were there, there was still some construction going on, but it is done as unobtrusively as possible. and if you greet the workers with a cheerful "Good Morning", you will find them quite accomadating.
The staff is very friendly and helpful, from the desk staff to the chambermaids. We even enlisted the assistance of some of the construction workers to help with out luggage when moving out! Unfortunately, there are no elevators, and 3 floors, so be prepared to shlepp what you bring. But the views of the harbor from the 3rd floor veranda, and the treehouse, are well worth the inconvienience. Look out for the schooner Roseway and it's beautiful red sails. It winters in Christiansted every year. There isalso some wi-fi available, and the treehouse is a charming place to access it. There is also a computer in the richly appointed lobby for lodgers to use.
The rooms are fairly standard, but they are very clean and bright and comfortable, and they each have a mini-fridge. There are also flat screen TVs and satellite, so if you need that sort of thing, it's there.
There will soon be a bar in the lobby, and a breakfast/ reception room for complementary continental breakfasts and evening cocktail receptions. For the time being though, just take a short walk to the water-front and the King Christian Hotel provides a breakfast bar. Just tell the attendant that you're staying at The Company House and your room number .
I would definately recommend The Company House to anyone who wants a clean, comfortable, friendly hotel with an excellent location at a reasonable price. Tell them the Stories sent you!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Three story building in the heart of Christiansted St. Croix. Newly renovated deluxe rooms plus suite. Large conference room with video conference features. Walking distance to beach. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, 5viajes2012 S.L., TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly and Cancelon so you can book your Company House Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Company Hotel Christiansted
- Company House Hotel St. Croix/Christiansted