“Amazing recovery!”

Ranked #14 of 14 Hotels in Christiansted
St. Croix, USVI
“Amazing recovery!”
Reviewed 29 February 2008

25 years ago, my fiance and I moved to St. Croix, and for a few months, we made the Danish Manor-know then as The Chart House- our home.
I had always held fond memories of the place, and was dismayed to see, while looking at this and other websites, that it had fallen into a sad state of disrepair.
Then, last month, we moved back down to St. Croix, and required a place to stay while acquiring a house. Out of a sense of curiousity and loyalty, we went by to check it out.
We were thrilled to see that it has been bought by the people who own the King Christian Hotel, and is lovingly and beautifully being restored and improved. And the name has been changed to The Company House Hotel.
While we were there, there was still some construction going on, but it is done as unobtrusively as possible. and if you greet the workers with a cheerful "Good Morning", you will find them quite accomadating.
The staff is very friendly and helpful, from the desk staff to the chambermaids. We even enlisted the assistance of some of the construction workers to help with out luggage when moving out! Unfortunately, there are no elevators, and 3 floors, so be prepared to shlepp what you bring. But the views of the harbor from the 3rd floor veranda, and the treehouse, are well worth the inconvienience. Look out for the schooner Roseway and it's beautiful red sails. It winters in Christiansted every year. There isalso some wi-fi available, and the treehouse is a charming place to access it. There is also a computer in the richly appointed lobby for lodgers to use.
The rooms are fairly standard, but they are very clean and bright and comfortable, and they each have a mini-fridge. There are also flat screen TVs and satellite, so if you need that sort of thing, it's there.
There will soon be a bar in the lobby, and a breakfast/ reception room for complementary continental breakfasts and evening cocktail receptions. For the time being though, just take a short walk to the water-front and the King Christian Hotel provides a breakfast bar. Just tell the attendant that you're staying at The Company House and your room number .
I would definately recommend The Company House to anyone who wants a clean, comfortable, friendly hotel with an excellent location at a reasonable price. Tell them the Stories sent you!

• Liked — The friendliness, the location and the view
  • Disliked — Morning traffic noise
  • Stayed February 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4 Thank cheesetart

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 18 May 2006

If somebody stays here, they should know that for $40 quit you will NOT get a 5star hotel!
I liked it, stayed there 1 month and I´m still alive. I think it´s a great bargain if you don´t have thatmuch money. Yes, it´s correct: old furniture, a bit rubbish somewhere, but great location in the center of Christiansted, very very friendly and helpful owner and what a price! (But don´t use the pool... smile)

• Stayed October 2004, travelled on business
5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Travellers are raving about these Christiansted hotels

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 9 March 2005

Unfortunately I had to spend five nights at this hotel. It wasn't until the third day that anyone came and changed our sheets and provided fresh towels. I literally had to take my used towels downstairs to the laundry and get my own fresh towels. The sheets had holes, the towels were gray, not white and I don't even want to know what the stains were on the bedspread!! None of the walkways were ever swept in the time we were there. The furniture in all the rooms was made of pressboard and was all warped from the tropical moisture. The "kids" who were running the front desk knew nothing about customer service. The owners were constantly working on building projects while we were there and it was a junky mess. We travel to various islands each year and I always take pictures of the hotel and our room for our album, but I did not take one picture of this pig sty. St. Croix itself was wonderful, food was great, views were outstanding, people were nice, the water was awesome, but I hope I never see this hotel again. When people on the island would ask where we were staying and we sheepishly told them, they would get an odd look on their face and one guy just told it like it was - he said it was a roach motel. I agree, we did see little roaches in our room.

• Stayed February 2005
10 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
New York, NY
Reviewed 14 February 2005

This was the worst hotel I've evern been in, and I've done hostels around Eastern Europe. Went to St Croix for some scuba diving, but our primary hotel lost our confirmed reservations. The hotel people sent us to here as this was the only hotel with a room avaialble in the city.

We checked in and then checked out almost immediately after turning on the lights and seeing what wasn't afraid of the light.

Well, we had to wait an hour for the clerk to return from his lunch break. During which time we stopped at the dive shop for some information. According to them, the last divers to stay there were robbed.

After that, we left the city...

Yeah we left. Wish I could get that 1.5 hours of my life back.

• Stayed January 2005