“A+++ for Service, Kindness, & All Around FABULOUSNESS!”

The Palms at Pelican Cove
Ranked #2 of 14 Hotels in Christiansted
Atlanta, Georgia
“A+++ for Service, Kindness, & All Around FABULOUSNESS!”
Reviewed 16 July 2012

I love this hotel so much for so many reasons. First, I have visited St. Croix many times & experienced many of the hotels and the variety that each offer, so I do feel qualified to make this very bold statement: The Palms is the BEST hotel on the island.

Here's why: most people visit an island for views, snorkeling, service, relaxation, fun, and a unique opportunity to do something aside from the "normal" life and THE PALMS IS ALL OF THIS AND MORE.

Views: Beachfront---like roll out of the bed onto the sand kind of beachfront... great breezes, great sand, great shells, and great beach chairs, towels, and "stuff." (Pool: small but so cute & quaint-- I love that they have beach toys and pool toys for fun in the pool/sand/ocean-FREE).

Snorkeling: Fun guided tours--FREE-- morning, day, and night (use underwater wrist flashlights)-- snorkeling equipment provided-- and after every jaunt, a free CD full of all your underwater pictures (the guides take the pictures of you and the fish)! Great, intense deep snorkel trips or short, simple excursions for the kiddos. Turtles, stingrays, coral, etc...

Service and Fun and Quaintness: Here is where this hotel wins the Ritz Carlton/Disney kind of service awards as far as I am concerned. This hotel is small and run by a lovely couple. They live there and they want you to feel like you are special. The open air bar reminds me of something from the 60s or 70s. The vibe is hip, eclectic, and vintage. The mermaid murals on the walls are extra folk-artish and the bathrooms in the lobby and restaurant are the nicest bathrooms on the island!

But again, the people/sevice make this hotel. EVERYONE was SOOOO nice. OMG. Happy Hour-- so happy! Free hikes to eat local fruit and see the plantation ruins- so fun! Bands/Trivia/Carribbean Specials in the evenings- so eclectic and enjoyable! We asked for a private beach dinner for our anniversary. EVERYONE went so out of their way to make us feel special. It was incredibly windy, so they had a back-up table in case we came inside, and we had the perfect balance of privacy and attention. Two days later, one of our sweet little bus boys yelled out to me, "Happy Anniversary!" I accidentally left my glasses in the lobby-- one of the yard guys chased me to my car to make sure I had them-- little, kind and thoughtful events like that happen every moment of your stay at The Palms.

Now, with all of that being said, I need to be clear and say: this is an ISLAND, this is a boutique SMALL hotel, and you are in ST. CROIX. Things are different here and that is why MOST of us go on vacation: for variety. This hotel is not as opulent as The Bucchaneer, but having visited both, the service, the food, and the snorkeling are TONS better. The hotel is not located in Disney-- the fun is a different kind of fun. The hotel is not run by a Marriott or a corporation--real people who find joy in the simple things live here.

I hope you go there and enjoy it as much as we did! Send our best to the delightful people of The Palms!

Room Tip: As far as I could tell, all of the rooms were great. I know that several of the people I talked to L...
4 Thank JuleeImpara

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (236)
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed 14 July 2012

My wife and I just stayed at this resort for 4 days and had an overall good time. I know we stayed here during the off-season (and on Monday through Thursday) but everything seemed to be just one-step off from being a great resort. It was a bit difficult (location-wise) to get to for the new visitor and I'm not sure if that is simply due to navigating the St. Croix/Christiansted roads or just locale of the resort. (Gas City turned out to be a very important landmark for us and we went out towards there even though we were heading east on the island.) Dawn the assistant manager was super friendly upon arrival. I believe we were upgraded and that was great, room was really good and we were happy by the complimentary flask of Cruzan rum awaiting us.

We did find that the bar area wasn't a resort-type of bar that we were expecting. Although we met some nice people, the Trivia Night was a bit disappointing, I guess coming from the states we are used to an average crowd of 20's-40 year old's, but the trivia night was in the main restaurant area with average age of at least 50+ Caribbean night was also a bit disappointing, the band was "off" and had a much better crowd reaction when playing cover songs/party hits. There were more kids dancing around than adults so I figured it turned into a wedding reception gone wrong on the dance floor. Also, after we checked in on our first day, we headed down to the bar for a few drinks prior to dinner (around 4pm) the lone bartender was a bit swamped but managed okay, food wise , ~$9+ for potato skins was a bit outrageous when you get 1 potato split in two, it was very good, but could of been a bit more filling (or lower priced.)

The 2nd night of our stay, the A/C got backed up and started dripping, we were promptly asked if we'd like to upgrade for the night to a roof-top terrace suite so that was nice and well handled. Also noticed that the tile in the corner by the porch sliding glass door was cracking a bit...was not a big deal so we didn't say anything, but definitely something that shouldn't happen in a high-end resort (or at The Palms price point.) Also, the room safe's were not very large and also our key didn't work in ours so we kept all valuables (with the exception of our Macbook (gulp)) with us at al times. This is just another difference of good to great in our opinion.

All staff, especially Housekeeping was very friendly and accommodating during our stay.

The grounds were nice but not great, we can't fully compare to other resorts since this was the only one we saw (with beach front access) on the island. We were envious of The Buccaneer, but knew it came with a greater price tag, but appeared to be a 5-star resort all around. View from our room, Room 16 was great.

Overall, a good stay, IF we go back to the island, we may check into other option.

1 Thank bdmatt54
Albert48, Owner at The Palms at Pelican Cove, responded to this review, 8 August 2012
I hear you on navigation around the island. There are some pretty good road maps that help, and we have clear directions to the hotel on our website, and Palms signage on the road, but absent that it can be a little challenging. I have heard many guests comment that it adds to the adventure. And you can't get too far lost - the island is only so big. Gas City is a good landmark, and it happens to be one of the first convenience stores on island to introduce pay-at-the-pump. We're movin' forward! Our bar is open and quaint; it is one of the original features of the hotel. We like it that way, but it is not as contemporary as some in newer establishments. The crowds at the hotel change as do the seasons. Summer is our slower time so we frequently have more locals in for many of the events. But it is a great time to socialize with a few of them and learn more about the island, including fun things to see and do. The Moko Jumbies are typically the hit of the Wednesday Caribbean Nights. Legend has it that these famed stilt walkers are the guardians of the Virgin Islands culture. And they always put on quite a show. Most everyone has a great time and it's a wonderful place for kids, as well as grownups, to have fun and pickup a hint or two about the islands. On the air conditioners, because of the humidity next to the beach it's not unusual for a drain to become sluggish. We do have a maintenance program, but occasionally one will elude us. We recognize the importance of having a cool room to retire to after a day in the sun, so we always make sure that any issue is dealt with right away. Sorry about the key not fitting your room's safe; it now works fine and would have been fixed on the spot had we of known about it earlier. Regarding the grounds, we make sure that they are clean and kept. However, we want them to retain a hint of being natural, so they are not overly manicured. On your next trip down I would very much look forward to the opportunity of meeting and visiting with you, and perhaps even show you around on a snorkel of our beautiful reef just offshore. Thanks for your nice review.
Harrisburg, NC
Reviewed 11 July 2012

Where do I begin, the beauty of your setting, the friendly staff, and the service was beyond expectations. My wife and I stayed here with out teenage daughter and adult son the first week of July 2012. The staff took us on personal snorkeling tours, helped arrange several dives for my son and we felt welcome from the time we arrived. The beach is very natural with a reef within wading distance and the grounds are absolutely beautiful. We loved the palms that abound here, and the grounds are well maintained. The food at the restaurant is excellent. All said they made this extremely hard to ever find a vacation that will even come close or apreciated as much.

Room Tip: all the upper rooms have fantastic views
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank harrisburclarkfamily
Baltimore, Maryland, United States
Reviewed 10 July 2012

St. Croix is a place full of irony. It's full of potential and perhaps faded glory, yet is drowning in poverty and misery. It's both very spiritual, with almost more churches than people, and very grounded in secular reality, with two recently closed industrial plants marring the landscape. Yet, the regional authority lacks the foresight to allow the Pequot Indians, who operate the world's largest casino, to build another one on this island that could sorely use it - and on some blighted land that has the potential to be one of the world's most beautiful sights.

The Palms, however, has the both of best worlds. We stayed in a clean, modernly appointed room (loved the grotto shower!) with a spectacular view of palm trees, gently crashing waves on the beach, and the ocean. We slept with the sliding glass doors open and the curtains blowing in the wind. We had wi-fi in the room with a plasma tv, yet the staff are so friendly that they are like family. Mitch is a superstar, leading us on a spectacular snorkeling adventure right off the beach in front of the hotel during which we saw a beautiful 7-foot nurse shark. (Don't worry, nurse sharks are harmless.) He took some great photos of the event as well and downloaded them to a CD for us to take home - all free of charge. And you can borrow the snorkeling gear any time you want and go on your own.

The food was delicious. One must try the banana pancakes with the mango coconut syrup. At the bar, the Vanilla Thrilla is a taste sensation, but be careful because one might drink them to oblivion. And The Palms is just a short $10 cab ride to downtown with restaurants with some of the best food I have ever had. The duck breast with strawberry chutney at Kendrick's was the best duck dish I have ever had, as was the key lime pie. Sunday brunch featuring a lobster eggs benedict at Angry Nate's was to die for, paired with complimentary champagne. The cassava crusted mahi mahi at Savant, outside in the romantically lit courtyard, was exquisite and the "toasted pecan" dessert was just amazing, the most unique dessert I have ever had.

So, ironically, one does not have to leave the Palms to have an incredible stay on St. Croix. You might just bask in the sun, enjoy the natural beauty, snorkel, drink and eat. Or, you can venture out and walk along the very same stone paths that the young Alexander Hamilton once traversed. You can visit the cell where his mother was imprisoned (before he was born) for leaving her first husband and thus forever altering the course of U.S. history. And you can experience some of the most creative culinary delights anywhere. Unfortunately, St. Croix almost feels like a land that time forgot - it just hasn't recovered from Hurricane Hugo that destroyed 90% of the buildings - but something tells me that somehow, some day it's coming back.

7 Thank Crisman B
New York
Reviewed 8 July 2012

If you vacation in St. Croix you have to be prepared for a certain amount of "roughing it". It's a tropical island and not South Beach. If you're the kind of hotel guest where everything has to be perfect and you have six pieces of matching luggage, St. Croix is probably not for you. For all others you will have a great time in beautiful St. Croix and the Palms have minimized the amount of "roughing it" required to enjoy yourself. I happened to stay at the Palms twice in the past month, once alone on a job assignment, and once with the family. I had a much better time when the family was along. Our room was comfortable, had an amazing view, a nice porch, fridge, tv and high speed internet. We were all set and we really enjoyed ourselves. The food at the hotel was suprisingly good (and we're fussy eaters). We usually ate breakfast out of our fridge in our room but a couple days did indulge in the hotel breakfast which was very reasonably priced. Dinner at the bar or restaurant, which are basically together, was always a good experience. We preferred the bar, even with an 11 year old. Rico, the bartender, would make our son a virgin frozen something and our son thought that was swell. The pool is conveniently located next to the bar and restaurant so while we loitered at either the bar or restaurant, our son would run to the pool and we could still keep an eye on him. This was a huge plus. Most nights there were some decent food specials and a few nights had live entertainment and we were suprised how much we enjoyed both. St. Croix is surrounded by a reef so snorkeling is a must. Frankly, we weren't really interested but Mitch, who works at the Palms, takes guests out snorkeling both day and night (for no extra charge, but do slip him something, he does a great job) so we begrudingly gave into our son's demands and went snorkeling. Again, we had a really good time. Mitch really made sure everyone was taken care of and that really made a difference.

The rooms were cleaned daily and we really made a mess of our room with wet towels, bathing suits, wet clothes drying on the patio and our stuff all over. The staff were great about it, they gave us extra towels, they never made us feel awkward about what a wreck the room was and that was a nice plus. There wasn't an iron but they do have plenty at the front desk and they will bring to your room if you need it (we did).

By the way, we rented a car, and while not necessary, I do recommend this. It's takes a day to get comfortable with driving on the left but really, it's not that hard (you can do it!). And the freedom is really worth it.

I had only very minor issues with the Palms and was teetering between 4 or 5 stars because of a few things. The high speed internet in my room the first week I was there was basically non-existent. When I inquired I was told I could come to the lobby with my laptop. Really? In this day and age high speed internet in a room is like having a tv. It's a must. That same room also had poor sound from the new tv which was probably due to a bad connection and not the tv. The front desk person did say the salty air wreaks havoc with these connections and I'm sure they do. Bad tv sound I can deal with, no high speed interent, not ok (room 3 - get it fixed). The room I stayed in with the family had really strong internet and the sound from the tv was fine. The entire place is a bit worn but that actually added to the homey-ness of the place. Both weeks I was there I met other guests and i'm not that extroverted. It was just easy because you kept running into the same people on the beach, at meals, walking around. The beach is quite good, there are lounge chairs all over, the pool was refreshing and very near the beach, the ocean was like a tub. The water was so clear and clean.

Overall we had a great time and we are definately going back.

Room Tip: If given a preference take an upper floor. There is no elevator but it's a little more private o...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank view2mtn
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 8 July 2012

On June 21, 2012, my husband and I spent a night at this hotel. However, its nothing like the Palms brochure or what we reviewed on Trip Advisor. Let's just say when we arrived the front desk representative was not friendly nor helpful in our accommodations. We paid in advance two months ago for a room with a king size bed and oceanview. We got a doublebed with the TV not working and was moved to another room which the TV was working, but no AC. But get this we had plenty of roaches to greet us! Eeek! So we ended up moving to another room all in one night. The next morning, my husband and I rented a car and checked out of this roach motel that was charging us for services not rendered and moved the rest of our vacation to the Buccaneer a better resort. All I can say is BEWARE OF THE PALMS! IT'S NOT WHAT IT SEEMS!

Room Tip: Can't say anything nice about this hotel. if you looking with a relaxing time and enjoyment that...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
7 Thank cleanhouse3108
, Owner at The Palms at Pelican Cove, responded to this review, 10 July 2012
Starting off your vacation with a midnight checkin while everyone is tired and hungry after a long day of travelling is always tough. It was late, but our front desk and security did what they could to be accommodating. It is my understanding that the manager worked out the room issues first thing next morning. Everyone has different expectations of what they want from a vacation. Some want to get out, see the island, do things, and absorb as much of the local scene as they can in a week or two. Others just want to relax by the pool and bar in the laid back setting that is The Palms and St. Croix. And some prefer to spend most of their time in their room enjoying the quiet. Our reputation is built on helping our guests achieve what they want on their holiday. We always try and be everything for everybody, although we know we can’t always get there. The setting here at The Palms is personal. We spend as much time with our guests as they would like, even getting to know many of them as family over the week or so they are here. We like it that way. And judging by the comments most of our guests make, they do to.
Roanoke, Virginia
Reviewed 7 July 2012

I found the positive reviews by earlier guests to be quite accurate. Our room was clean, nicely decorated with mahogany furniture and a cheerful yellow paint, and cooled by a high-powered A/C and tiled floors. The bathroom, with its stone walls and double sinks, was pleasant and stylish. The oceanfront view was heavenly, beyond postcard-perfect. I read a review about the grounds being untidy but I thought they were nicely manicured. We got a kick out of seeing the iguanas and geckos and mongooses that darted occasionally across the property. I loved the lay-out of the buildings: you truly get a sense of privacy in a sort of campus setting instead of being crammed in with a thousand other visitors in a single building. The staff was great, from Mitch to Chuck to Mama G to the cleaning crew to the restaurant/bar team of Kelly and Lizzie and Trish. The beach is beautiful, but we searched in vain for a stretch of ocean along it that wasn't choked with sea grass or strewn with hard shells and rocky-bottomed. Another guest had complained about this in a review so perhaps we overlooked the best section? It seemed much more of a sunning/reading beach. My wife loved the snorkeling. The restaurant was good, we enjoyed the dinners more than we did breakfast and lunch offerings. I'm glad that we selected The Palms as opposed to our original choice of The Buccaneer, where we paid $42 for cold pancakes, and which seemed very snooty and extremely isolated. One friendly tip: be prepared to encounter an island truly blighted by poverty, replete with long sections of kidney-punching potholes, run-down buildings, and slummy convenience stores relatively unrelieved by natural beauty if you're more than fifty yards from the coast at any point. Nonetheless, I would recommend The Palms to anyone seeking a peaceful getaway in pleasant surroundings.

Room Tip: Our room, #24, was very nice. Hard to imagine any room at the hotel not having a terrific view.
3 Thank revjr1
Also consider these accommodations in or near Christiansted
Tamarind Reef Resort, Spa & Marina
The Buccaneer St Croix
The Buccaneer St Croix
#1 of 14 in Christiansted
Renaissance St. Croix Carambola Beach Resort & Spa

Been to The Palms at Pelican Cove? Share your experiences!