I love this hotel so much for so many reasons. First, I have visited St. Croix many times & experienced many of the hotels and the variety that each offer, so I do feel qualified to make this very bold statement: The Palms is the BEST hotel on the island.
Here's why: most people visit an island for views, snorkeling, service, relaxation, fun, and a unique opportunity to do something aside from the "normal" life and THE PALMS IS ALL OF THIS AND MORE.
Views: Beachfront---like roll out of the bed onto the sand kind of beachfront... great breezes, great sand, great shells, and great beach chairs, towels, and "stuff." (Pool: small but so cute & quaint-- I love that they have beach toys and pool toys for fun in the pool/sand/ocean-FREE).
Snorkeling: Fun guided tours--FREE-- morning, day, and night (use underwater wrist flashlights)-- snorkeling equipment provided-- and after every jaunt, a free CD full of all your underwater pictures (the guides take the pictures of you and the fish)! Great, intense deep snorkel trips or short, simple excursions for the kiddos. Turtles, stingrays, coral, etc...
Service and Fun and Quaintness: Here is where this hotel wins the Ritz Carlton/Disney kind of service awards as far as I am concerned. This hotel is small and run by a lovely couple. They live there and they want you to feel like you are special. The open air bar reminds me of something from the 60s or 70s. The vibe is hip, eclectic, and vintage. The mermaid murals on the walls are extra folk-artish and the bathrooms in the lobby and restaurant are the nicest bathrooms on the island!
But again, the people/sevice make this hotel. EVERYONE was SOOOO nice. OMG. Happy Hour-- so happy! Free hikes to eat local fruit and see the plantation ruins- so fun! Bands/Trivia/Carribbean Specials in the evenings- so eclectic and enjoyable! We asked for a private beach dinner for our anniversary. EVERYONE went so out of their way to make us feel special. It was incredibly windy, so they had a back-up table in case we came inside, and we had the perfect balance of privacy and attention. Two days later, one of our sweet little bus boys yelled out to me, "Happy Anniversary!" I accidentally left my glasses in the lobby-- one of the yard guys chased me to my car to make sure I had them-- little, kind and thoughtful events like that happen every moment of your stay at The Palms.
Now, with all of that being said, I need to be clear and say: this is an ISLAND, this is a boutique SMALL hotel, and you are in ST. CROIX. Things are different here and that is why MOST of us go on vacation: for variety. This hotel is not as opulent as The Bucchaneer, but having visited both, the service, the food, and the snorkeling are TONS better. The hotel is not located in Disney-- the fun is a different kind of fun. The hotel is not run by a Marriott or a corporation--real people who find joy in the simple things live here.
I hope you go there and enjoy it as much as we did! Send our best to the delightful people of The Palms!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Palms at Pelican Cove sits on 7 acres of coconut palms and white sand beach, and is just 3 miles west of Christiansted. There is swimming in front of the property, and with Long Reef just a few yards off shore, excellent snorkeling (day and night) is also available. We provide complimentary snorkel gear and tours of the reef. Our freshwater pool is one of the largest on the island and is regularly used by SCUBA for introductory dive lessons. We have a tennis court and complimentary gear. There are many hiking trails on the island and we regularly make excursions with guests. There are 40 spacious rooms at the hotel, and all offer panoramic oceanfront views from expansive terraces. All rooms are air conditioned, and are equipped with a small refrigerator and coffee maker. The Palms Restaurant is located on property and serves breakfast, lunch and dinner. The Mahogany Bar is located beachside, serves up wonderful beverages, and has a late night bar menu. The front desk is open 24/7 and security is provided around the clock. Wireless internet access is complimentary. The Palms won the 2010 Best Beach Resort and Best Hotel on St. Croix as voted by readers of the Virgin Islands Daily News. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd, getaroom.com, HotelQuickly and Cancelon so you can book your The Palms at Pelican Cove reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Palms At Pelican Cove Hotel Christiansted
- Palms At Pelican Cove Christiansted
- Palms Pelican Cove
- Palms At Pelican Cove Hotel
- The Palms At Pelican Cove St. Croix/Christiansted