“Fabulous stay at the Palms”

The Palms at Pelican Cove
Ranked #2 of 14 Hotels in Christiansted
Reviewed 16 July 2008

This was our first time on St. Croix and we will definitely be back. The staff at the Palms was friendly and very genuine. The room was spacious and clean. It wasn’t the most up-to-date room out there but for the beautiful beach a few feet from your door way it was well worth it. It had a small fridge and cable TV but no alarm clock. We loved the open bar and dining area right on the beach. The food was good (try the Palms salad with fresh mangoes) and the pina coladas--delicious! We had no problems obtaining snorkeling gear, access to the internet, hairdryer, iron, etc… I don’t know if we were there during a slow week but there was hardly anyone around, which was nice if you are just there to relax. Overall it seemed more family friendly than for singles. Would recommend renting a car-you can find one pretty cheap and cabs add up. The Palms is set back in a neighborhood with a tiny sign on where to turn so just keep your eyes open and have a map handy.
Our stay there was wonderful and we really enjoyed it.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Write a ReviewReviews (1,117)

Reviewed 8 July 2008

We were amazed at the location and great service we received at this resort. The atmosphere is totally relaxed and everything we needed or wanted was right on the property. Our room was spacious and colorful. There was good security on the grounds & we never felt unsafe. After drinking coffee on the beach, we strolled down the beach to a wonderful breakfast served with a smile. Lunches and dinners were excellent as well. The pool and nearby bar were great. I could not get enough of the many varieties of palms everywhere we looked. After driving the entire island visiting various beaches, we were happy to get back to the Palms where we found the best beach & snorkeling of all. Our experience was what we had hoped for in a Caribbean getaway vacation. Thanks Palms Staff!

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 June 2008

My wife and i wanted to take our 18 year old son on a vacation before he went off to college. He actually agreed to the idea.
For the price , the beauty of the ocean, there was not a better place to go than St Corix and not better place on St.Croix than the Palms. We love to snorkel and swim and after visiting 4 other hotel beaches to swim, we knew we "lucked out" and had chosen the correct one. You can snorkle right off of their beach but stay within the markers on windy days. The beach at the Palms is the most secluded and beautiful hotel beach we had seen on this side of the island. The room faced the ocean was big, clean, and updated.

When we walked in the first day it was everyhing we dreamed a tropical hotel would be, very open, outside bar, dining right next to the ocean. The Palms had the best pool we had seen on the island.
The staff are all on the same page, from the manager on down.
These are people who really like people. I can't tell you how much I am tired of the disingenious "have a good day" from every service employee these days and I am glad to say I didn't hear that once. We did meet staff members who enjoyed seeing us and who were really a great help. Dickie, with the permanent smile at the front desk, who helped with our every question, same for Karen at the bar, Julie and Travis.
A special thanks to three people we will never forget, Mitch, Tom and Conan. Too long a story to tell, but they know the story. We have a picture of the three of you in our house that will never come down.
Great Place - Great staff - We will be back.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled with family
Reviewed 16 June 2008

From the moment we arrived, Pat, at the front desk was wonderful. Fast, easy check in where our luggage was whisked away and Pat escorted us to the beautiful, open air bar where we were given a complimentary drink. The Cruzan Confusion was a wonderful start to our vacation after a long flight from JFK!

Darius then swept us off to our room in a golf cart. The room was nicely air conditioned and what a view!

We enjoyed breakfast every morning over looking the ocean, who could ask for more? The Palms at Pelican Cove staff provides more with wonderful food and excellent service from Mark and Heidi.

The pool area is beautiful, clean and welcoming. The front desk is always on hand to provide beach towels... Just ask! The ocean is footsteps away with white sand and blue water. The hotel even provides free snorkeling equipment.

We enjoyed dinner one night. There are plenty of choices with reasonable prices. We also enjoyed food at the bar with the company of more friendly staff, Karen, Conan, and even Travis Sunday afternoon.

We met and conversated with several local couples enjoying food at the bar that simply raved about the beach, the food, and the service at The Palms and Pelican Cove.

We met the owners of the resort who truly take pride in their place and were thrilled to hear about how we had a fabulous stay. I have never gone on vacation and truly knew I was going to miss the people that had surrounded me for the last five days! You feel like you are at home at The Palms at Pelican Cove.

I would go back tomorrow and I would stay nowhere but The Palms at Pelican Cove!

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled with friends
1  Thank seekalu
Reviewed 28 May 2008

I will have to say the hotel had excellent customer service, the people working there were extremely friendly and willing to help answer any questions or provide you with anything you need. The rooms are dated and are in need of a renovation and a little more cleaning, but they have a great patio and view of the beach. We only had one meal at the resort and it was pretty good. The hotel is in a good/odd location- just a short drive to town and to the airport but I would defiantly advise getting a rental car, cabs seem to add up quickly and it gave us a chance to see more of the island. We rented from Olympic and they had good rates and good cars. The reason I say odd is you drive threw a neighborhood to get there which was a surprise/uncomfortable feeling to me.

There was a wedding going on at the hotel the same weekend and from what I saw the wedding set up was really nice and the staff treated the wedding party/guests very well. I would consider that a good sport for a wedding because you could do everything right there.

I think I would give this hotel a higher rating if the rooms were a little nicer and I heard talks of a renovation. Otherwise I was happy with the staff, they defiantly made and effort to go above and beyond and always had a smile.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 May 2008

My husband and I just came back from the Palms. We spent three days. Big mistake! We went to St. Croix for business. First day we asked for beach towels never got them. Third day no beach towels. I asked for one extra towel to dry my hair. Third day still no towel! There was a wedding that weekend. They booked us in the same building as the wedding party. We of course had no idea. Huge mistake the walls are paper thin. We heard everything . The view from our room was TERRIFIC! Everything else was awful!

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled on business
3  Thank sungodessAtlantic
Albert48, Managing Director at The Palms at Pelican Cove, responded to this reviewResponded 29 May 2008

I am sorry that you had trouble obtaining beach towels during your stay. Our normal procedure is that guests check out beach towels at the front desk and then return them after use. However, had the manager or I known that you had an unfulfilled request we would have personally corrected it on the spot. We did have a wedding that weekend you were here and we were completely booked. Otherwise we would have been able to give you the option of being in our second building. The walls really aren't too thin, being 10 inches of solid concrete (to withstand hurricanes). However, I do apologize for the noise and I know it can be disturbing when one has been looking forward to a quiet break. We do hope that you will give us another opportunity to make a better impression (on everything except the view).

Reviewed 14 May 2008

I have recently returned from a truly wonderful stay at the Palms. From check-in to check-out the experience left me feeling that the staff and management really cared about their guests.

When my company booked a business meeting followed by a week of R&R at the hotel, I didn't know what to expect not having visited the Island before. Arriving from the airport, I was welcomed, efficiently whisked through check-in and escorted to my room. The room was large, bright, very clean and I was immediately drawn to the sliding doors opening onto the balcony overlooking the white sand beach.

On the day of our meeting, the hotel's conference center was set up exactly to our specifications with the audio-visual and catering handled with the professionalism normally found at much bigger hotels.

With the business out of the way, we were ready to relax so we headed down to the mahogany bar to mingle with the other guests and watch the sunset. Here we were well looked after by the entertaining and knowledgeable bar staff and the cheerful owners, Chuck and Joyce who live on-site and are a storehouse of information on St. Croix and the surrounding islands.

The meals at the Palms were superb with just the right mix of uptown fine cuisine and home cooking.

The staff were very friendly and seemed to have a genuine concern for the guests' enjoyment. Arrangements for tours, diving and rental cars can be made at the front desk. Snorkeling on the reef just off the beach can be done with equipment available from the hotel.

I feel lucky to have discovered this jewel in the Caribbean and I can't wait to return with my family!

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled on business
1  Thank Gary99
Also consider these accommodations in or near Christiansted
2 mi away
The Buccaneer St Croix
The Buccaneer St Croix
#1 of 14 in Christiansted
Renaissance St. Croix Carambola Beach Resort & Spa

Been to The Palms at Pelican Cove? Share your experiences!