“Average resort hotel.”

The Palms at Pelican Cove
Ranked #2 of 14 Hotels in Christiansted
Reviewed 16 November 2013

When I was told that there was a 30 day cancellation policy, I was curious as to what type of place I was going to be at. *Note - I was not here for vacation so my view

The lobby seems typical for a Caribbean island. Open plan, lots of fans, comfy furiniture. Didn't find the reception friendly or mean - just average.

Ate in the restaurant. Dinner and breakfast were just ok. Really not many options if you don't want fried, unhealthy food. But that's been a typical experience in so many places in my travels. I was surprised that their Cobb salad was really good, since sometimes salads are awful in hotel restaurants.

Mitch seemed really great, and I can see why so many reviewers took to him. I'm sure he will provide you with a great experience. The other staff members were, again, average. Coming from Peter Island in Tortola, I thought the service was lacking, but that is probably because the employees at Peter Island are great at customer service.

The room was a disappointment to me, but again, typical of what I've experienced in the Caribbean. The smell of Tilex was so strong that I got a headache. The balcony had a view of the water which was pleasant. (Bring bug spray!) The bed was comfortable enough. Lots of decorative pillows...just wondering when they were cleaned last... Little ants running all over the bathroom counter but I dont think that can be avoided. Showere pressue was ok. Fridge in your room.

Wireless was bad. It kept cutting in and out. Since most visitors are on vacation, this matters little. However, if you have business to attend to you....you will need your patience to get it done.

In all, I'm not sure how many other options there are on this island. I would probably try another place before coming back here. And if I had come on vacation with my family, I think I would probably stay another place. Just not my cup of tea.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
5  Thank imari96
Albert48, Owner at The Palms at Pelican Cove, responded to this reviewResponded 31 March 2014

Thank you for choosing the Palms. We do have a posted 30 day cancellation policy on vacation packages, however we are flexible when unforeseen circumstances arise. Our dedicated hospitality team strives to provide five star service, however we do not advertise our resort as a five star industry rating. Our housekeeping staff pride themselves on keeping clean and fresh rooms. We have a regular pest control program, however the tiny sugar ants are common throughout the Caribbean and are masters at evading treatment. We provide the highest broadband available for our WiFi users, however sometimes guests will stream videos, etc. causing a slow down in service. We have many business visitors that enjoy their time here at the Palms and we always try and provide them with the services they require. Our restaurant provides a variety of menu choices including many egg items, yogurt, fruit and bakery items for breakfast, as well as many favorites. We offer daily meal specials in addition to our regular lunch and dinner items, which include many healthy choices. We hope you will return to the Palms for your next stay on St. Croix and allow us to provide you with a great stay with our family at the Palms.

Reviewed 12 November 2013

Had to go to the island for business. My wife came along the pelican was great. The restaurant has the best fries, everything else we ordered was good also. The rooms are decent but the patios are the best feature right on the beach with a great view from each one. The staff was friendly and caring.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Mrmech
Reviewed 10 November 2013

A group of gals from Alabama just returned from a weeks stay at the Palms. Mitch was wonderful. He shared so much local information with us, took us on a local hike, and explained to resort and what it had to offer. We had a vehicle (I suggest renting one) so we could explore the island. Went to Buck Island on an all day sail/ snorkel adventure. We also snorkeled off the resort. We found the people of the island very friendly. The resort was very well maintained and the food was always delicious! I would highly recommend staying at the Palms. Thanks especially goes out to Mitch for being there for us 24/7.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Alaskanadventurer00
Reviewed 6 November 2013

We had our wedding hosted at the Palms and I don't think we could have chosen a more perfect place. Chuck and his family were great...they took us on two different guided snorkeling tours (one a night tour!), gave us pictures to take home of all of the underwater shots, and even invited us to dinner. Julie and Teddy were amazing at pulling all of our wants and wishes together just in time to make our wedding perfect. Julie helped plan the event far in advance, was meticulous with details, and made suggestions for the wedding ceremony that I would not have thought of myself but made it even better....truly went above and beyond to make us feel special. I wasn't even nervous on my wedding day and I attribute most of that to them. The setting on the beach between the two palm trees was beautiful for the wedding and pictures afterwards. Even after our wedding, while we were still at St. Croix staying somewhere else, everyone at the Palms was welcoming and willing to help in whatever way they could to make sure we had a great time. That was all they cared about. I couldn't recommend a better place to stay for vacation or to host a wedding. If I had to do it all over again, would do it exactly the same way.

2  Thank Kathleen A
Reviewed 6 November 2013

We stayed at the Palms for a quick 3-night stay, but the experience was so wonderful I wish we’d had much longer. We currently live in Puerto Rico, so a tropical island vacation isn’t always as ‘special’ as it may be for those coming from the cold climate; however, my experience at the Palms was beyond special and this trip is by far my favorite due to the fabulous staff, breath taking scenery, great amenities and delicious food. We brought our 19-month-old son and he had a great time too! We will definitely be back!

The staff was the most friendly I’ve ever met, and the owners, Chuck and Joyce, take the time tell you about local attractions, give recommendations and overall make you feel at home. Chuck offers free snorkeling tours (day and night) right in front of the hotel and we were able to see dozens of tropical fish and starfish… we even saw a giant Moray eel! He takes underwater photos for you to help capture the moment and is very knowledgeable about the local marine life. We never felt rushed and you can tell he genuinely loves snorkeling with his guests. The wait staff, front receptionist, bar tender and cleaning crew were also exceptionally nice. During multiple meals, when my little one was acting up the server took him and walked him around the restaurant so we could enjoy our meal. He loved it and we were able to enjoy the delicious food without distraction.

The hotel rooms are all updated, including a huge walk-in shower with nature stone tile, and there’s a large balcony with a beautiful ocean view. Room service wasn’t listed, but the staff had no problem helping me decide what to order and my food was delivered very quickly. They even made items for my toddler that weren’t on the menu. The food (room service and restaurant) were so good that we found ourselves eating there for most of the meals! Each night there’s a special (including steak and lobster, prime rib) so it was difficult to choose what to order!

The surrounding neighborhood was quaint and typical of an island town--lots of chickens and roasters, some iguanas and cats--but tons of friendly people. One lady even invited us into her home when we got caught walking in the pouring rain (after a small scold for walking in the rain with a baby) and then she even let us borrow her grandson’s toys for the remainder of our trip. Very nice people.

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at the Palms and will definitely be back. If you want a huge resort feel this may not be the place for you. If you want a beautiful, relaxing vacation surrounded by people that truly want to make your stay better--- come visit the Palms!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank Emyvonne
Reviewed 2 November 2013

We decided to go to St. Croix last minute for our honeymoon. It ended being one of the best trips we have ever taken, and our experience at the Palms made the trip. The first day Chuck stopped us heading to the beach with some snorkel gear, took out a map and proceeded to plan our entire trip. He then took us on a guided snorkel! The entire staff at the Palms was great, Mitch is a great guy, extremely accommodating. Food was great. Beach was beautiful. Later in the week, Chuck and Mitch took us on a guided night snorkel. It was an amazing experience, unforgettable.
We will definitely be heading back to St. Croix, and would not think twice about staying at the Palms again.

5  Thank Jarrett T
Reviewed 31 October 2013

I was coming to St. Croix for business, but brought my husband so that we could have some vacation, too. The Palms was recommended by my business colleagues, and what a wonderful choice it was. The Palms is not a flashy resort but it is neatly maintained and all the staff are friendly and helpful. By the end of our week, we knew many staff by name. We ate all our meals in the restaurant except one. The first night we went into Christiansted to a brew pub, which was only so-so. We are pretty picky about dining out, and all the meals at The Palms were wonderful. I loved sitting in the front row of tables in the morning, sipping coffee and hearing the waves and watching the beach action. It reminded me of times cruising on a sailboat in the Caribbean. Sunday brunch had a steel drum player for several hours - a lovely touch of island atmosphere - and the Monday night entertainment with Moko Jumbies and fire dancers was also great fun.

We took advantage of the snorkeling tours - first with Louis and then with Mitch. Both were very helpful and supportive of my husband who is not a great swimmer. They were also very informative about things to do on the island and helped us book a trip on a catamaran to Buck Island. Really can't say enough about the staff.

There were only two small disappointments. In spite of the high marks I give the restaurant, the Monday night buffet was pretty pedestrian - fried chicken, ribs, rice, mac and cheese and cole slaw. Frankly, I would have been happy to pay something for the entertainment and skip the dinner. Although the website says that all rooms have an ocean view, the balconies that face north have no breeze and are too hot to use. If you want to take advantage of the Trade Winds, book an east-facing room. Fortunately, there is air conditioning, but the unit was rather noisy.

As for the reviewer who complained about the seaweed on the beach and chickens on the hotel grounds - don't pay any attention. Seaweed is *natural* for heaven's sake. Would you complain if it was sea shells washed up? And I thought the free-roaming chickens a charming part of island life.

Room Tip: If you want to use the balcony, book an east-facing room for the breeze.