“Beyond Excellent (The Palms at Pelican Cove)”

The Palms at Pelican Cove
Ranked #2 of 14 Hotels in Christiansted
Orlando, Florida
“Beyond Excellent (The Palms at Pelican Cove)”
Reviewed 30 November 2013

This is an Excellent place to stay when visiting St Croix. Everyone at the Hotel makes a genuine effort to guarantee an excellent stay. My wife and I vacationed at the Palms and were delighted by the service and friendliness by all.

Monday nights are a must be there experience for The Caribbean Night Party.
The Restaurant and Bar are great. The food and drinks exceed expectations. (Try the French Fries without fail. Drinks are just great))

Make sure you connect with Lewis and Mitch they can offer a great deal of assistance with everything. (Water Sports, Walking Tours etc.)

The service is very personalized to make sure you have an excellent visit. If you are visiting St Croix you want to go where the Locals go and The Palms is that place. If you need a Cab ask for Maurice.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank kob121

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (236)
tulsa
Reviewed 30 November 2013

We stayed here a week over Thanksgiving 2013 and this resort hotel is the most friendly and accommodating hotel we have ever experienced! The staff went out of their way to be helpful. The guest services director, Mitch, took us on an afternoon snorkel from the beach in the front of the hotel. We also went on the Thursday morning hike with Mitch, including a walk through an old sugar mill, and a visit to Miss Rita's home, where we tasted sugar cane and several local fruits, and a walk down the beach. Mitch is full of history and stories and information about the island. The food at the hotel is great. The bartenders were very attentive, especially Ocean and Rico. We were upgraded to a rooftop suite, with an incredible balcony overlooking the crashing waves and sandy beach. The always available taxi driver, Maurice, made us feel at home as well. Be sure to go to Caribbean Night on the property on Monday nights. And don't miss the night snorkel trip! We visited several other resorts on the island, and the Palms is hands down the very best in all categories. We also attended Jump Up with Mitch, on his day off. It was truly the highlight of our trip to have a local treat us like family. Thank you Mitch! (and Chuck!!)

Room Tip: Many (if not all) of the rooms face the ocean. If on the ground floor, just walk out of your room o...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank tulsacpa1234
Frederick, Maryland
Reviewed 20 November 2013

My wife and I travelled with our son to St Croix for the first time on Nov 9th - 18th, 2013. We were staying at another property on the other side of Christiansted from The Palms. We went there on Monday night for The Caribbean Night. First - you definitely need to go to this party. The shows are first rate and a lot of fun. If you have small children take them to see the Moko Jumbies... they will pick them up - great photo moment. Kiki's show is fun to watch as well.
We went back the next day to use the beach and everyone was very friendly and welcoming. Oshun at the bar was super friendly and makes a great Cruzan Confusion (ask her to substitute the Banana for the citrus - yum!) The snorkeling off the beach is great, inner and outer reef, so relatively calm water, great for my 6 year old. We had some issues with our gear and the great staff fixed out problems so we could have fun.
Definitely ask for Mitch if you want to know what is going on. He knows the reefs like the back of his hand and can tell you exactly where to go for the best snorkeling. He also does a night snorkeling trip that should be a must do on anyone's list. One of the top experiences on our trip.
The pool is first rate, the food is good and the bartenders and wait staff friendly and accommodating.
Next time we go to St Croix we are staying at the Palms without a doubt.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Dov G
Bermuda
Reviewed 16 November 2013

When I was told that there was a 30 day cancellation policy, I was curious as to what type of place I was going to be at. *Note - I was not here for vacation so my view

The lobby seems typical for a Caribbean island. Open plan, lots of fans, comfy furiniture. Didn't find the reception friendly or mean - just average.

Ate in the restaurant. Dinner and breakfast were just ok. Really not many options if you don't want fried, unhealthy food. But that's been a typical experience in so many places in my travels. I was surprised that their Cobb salad was really good, since sometimes salads are awful in hotel restaurants.

Mitch seemed really great, and I can see why so many reviewers took to him. I'm sure he will provide you with a great experience. The other staff members were, again, average. Coming from Peter Island in Tortola, I thought the service was lacking, but that is probably because the employees at Peter Island are great at customer service.

The room was a disappointment to me, but again, typical of what I've experienced in the Caribbean. The smell of Tilex was so strong that I got a headache. The balcony had a view of the water which was pleasant. (Bring bug spray!) The bed was comfortable enough. Lots of decorative pillows...just wondering when they were cleaned last... Little ants running all over the bathroom counter but I dont think that can be avoided. Showere pressue was ok. Fridge in your room.

Wireless was bad. It kept cutting in and out. Since most visitors are on vacation, this matters little. However, if you have business to attend to you....you will need your patience to get it done.

In all, I'm not sure how many other options there are on this island. I would probably try another place before coming back here. And if I had come on vacation with my family, I think I would probably stay another place. Just not my cup of tea.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
5 Thank imari96
Albert48, Owner at The Palms at Pelican Cove, responded to this review, 31 March 2014
Thank you for choosing the Palms. We do have a posted 30 day cancellation policy on vacation packages, however we are flexible when unforeseen circumstances arise. Our dedicated hospitality team strives to provide five star service, however we do not advertise our resort as a five star industry rating. Our housekeeping staff pride themselves on keeping clean and fresh rooms. We have a regular pest control program, however the tiny sugar ants are common throughout the Caribbean and are masters at evading treatment. We provide the highest broadband available for our WiFi users, however sometimes guests will stream videos, etc. causing a slow down in service. We have many business visitors that enjoy their time here at the Palms and we always try and provide them with the services they require. Our restaurant provides a variety of menu choices including many egg items, yogurt, fruit and bakery items for breakfast, as well as many favorites. We offer daily meal specials in addition to our regular lunch and dinner items, which include many healthy choices. We hope you will return to the Palms for your next stay on St. Croix and allow us to provide you with a great stay with our family at the Palms.
Abilene, Texas
Reviewed 12 November 2013 via mobile

Had to go to the island for business. My wife came along the pelican was great. The restaurant has the best fries, everything else we ordered was good also. The rooms are decent but the patios are the best feature right on the beach with a great view from each one. The staff was friendly and caring.

Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Mrmech
Eagle River, Alaska
Reviewed 10 November 2013

A group of gals from Alabama just returned from a weeks stay at the Palms. Mitch was wonderful. He shared so much local information with us, took us on a local hike, and explained to resort and what it had to offer. We had a vehicle (I suggest renting one) so we could explore the island. Went to Buck Island on an all day sail/ snorkel adventure. We also snorkeled off the resort. We found the people of the island very friendly. The resort was very well maintained and the food was always delicious! I would highly recommend staying at the Palms. Thanks especially goes out to Mitch for being there for us 24/7.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Alaskanadventurer00
Cary, North Carolina
Reviewed 6 November 2013

We had our wedding hosted at the Palms and I don't think we could have chosen a more perfect place. Chuck and his family were great...they took us on two different guided snorkeling tours (one a night tour!), gave us pictures to take home of all of the underwater shots, and even invited us to dinner. Julie and Teddy were amazing at pulling all of our wants and wishes together just in time to make our wedding perfect. Julie helped plan the event far in advance, was meticulous with details, and made suggestions for the wedding ceremony that I would not have thought of myself but made it even better....truly went above and beyond to make us feel special. I wasn't even nervous on my wedding day and I attribute most of that to them. The setting on the beach between the two palm trees was beautiful for the wedding and pictures afterwards. Even after our wedding, while we were still at St. Croix staying somewhere else, everyone at the Palms was welcoming and willing to help in whatever way they could to make sure we had a great time. That was all they cared about. I couldn't recommend a better place to stay for vacation or to host a wedding. If I had to do it all over again, would do it exactly the same way.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Kathleen A
Also consider these accommodations in or near Christiansted
Tamarind Reef Resort, Spa & Marina
The Buccaneer St Croix
The Buccaneer St Croix
#1 of 14 in Christiansted
Renaissance St. Croix Carambola Beach Resort & Spa

Been to The Palms at Pelican Cove? Share your experiences!