“Great place”

The Palms at Pelican Cove
Ranked #2 of 14 Hotels in Christiansted
Reviewed 8 December 2013

Great place to stay. Superfriendly staff, good food, nice seaside.

Beside that we found that Pelican Cove to have the best snorkling we ever found on our trip to USVI. Unfortunately its not easy to do on your own. Strong currents, high waves and rip tides makes a dangerous cocktail. But with Mitch and Chuck as tourguides you are in good and safe hands. They takes you safe through the dangerous parts - far out to the reefs. It is difficult to image that your can get better snorkling guides anywhere. The night snorkling after eels, Squids and octopus is pure magic
We highly recommend this great and friendly place
Sine, Peter and Sarah, Denmark

Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank Peter H

Reviewed 6 December 2013

My wife and I celebrated our honeymoon here over the week of Thanksgiving and it was phenomenal from start to finish!

We purchased the Passions Package and it was chock full of stuff for us to do and enjoy throughout the week. From the moment we stepped out of our taxi and walked to the front desk, we were well taken care of. This is also when we first met Mitch, but I'll get back to that. We picked up our keys and were carted off to our roof top suite. The view was amazing and wonderful to wake up to each day.

Chuck, the owner was quick to introduce himself and welcome us to the island. This definitely set the vibe of this place as a laid back, family friendly area. Yes, most island resorts are like this, but not with such high level customer service and genuine interest in how you are doing, or where you're from! We felt very appreciated, to sum things up.

The restaurant was awesome and the seating is right next to the beach - great views, no matter where you sit. The menu options were extensive and we had trouble deciding what to order, as everything sounded great. Our first night, we had a romantic dinner on the beach and the staff went out of their way to make it special - we were even serenaded by Mitch (ha!) The next day, we did a half day ride out to Buck Island, where we snorkeled with Big Beard Tours. The Palms made all reservations for us and coordinated all events we took part in (as part of our package)! The following day, we relaxed around the grounds and Mitch was nice enough to drive us up to Food Town to pick up some essentials.

Thanksgiving Day was filled with activity and we started things off with a morning hike with Mitch, where we were able to try fresh fruits and tour a nearby Sugar Cane/Rum plantation. Miss Rita was awesome and welcomed us onto her property to share even more St. Croix goodness with us. We made it back in time for Thanksgiving dinner and it was probably some of the closest home-cooked food I've ever had for a buffet. We stuffed ourselves silly, but still made it out to a sunset cruise. When we returned, we barely made it back in time to join Chuck and Mitch for a night snorkel trip. This was AMAZING! My wife was able to hold an octopus and several porcupine fish. We picked up some great footage during this trip. Chuck was nice enough to welcome us in for a drink and treat us to dinner afterwards, making things extra special. We truly appreciated this experience, Chuck! Mitch did a great job, too, manning the camera and providing his expertise along the way. This was probably our favorite part of the week and it was so unexpected!

On Friday, we took part in an Island Tour via Sweeny's and it was so-so. Partially because most of the main attractions were empty or shut down due to the holiday. Friday night was much different - Mitch drove a group of us down to the island event, Jump Up! He gave up his personal time to show us around and even bought us some VI-specific foods to try. Mitch also got us all to dance and we had a great time! Where else can you have this type of experience??! I've never been to a resort and had the manager, or even the owner, walk over to me and bring me out on a private trip - we heard this was common at The Palms due to Chuck and Mitch's (and the rest of the staff's) generosity and genuine joy for their jobs.

Sadly, we had to leave on Saturday and the desk was nice enough to bring a taxi to us (thanks Maurice!) so there was zero issue departing. Again, I cannot express the appreciation we have for the staff and thank you so very much for making our honeymoon extra special! I do not think any other place in the world would have done so much for us! We will definitely continue referring folks to you and hope to return some time in the near future! Until then!!

2  Thank Nathan S
Reviewed 30 November 2013

This is an Excellent place to stay when visiting St Croix. Everyone at the Hotel makes a genuine effort to guarantee an excellent stay. My wife and I vacationed at the Palms and were delighted by the service and friendliness by all.

Monday nights are a must be there experience for The Caribbean Night Party.
The Restaurant and Bar are great. The food and drinks exceed expectations. (Try the French Fries without fail. Drinks are just great))

Make sure you connect with Lewis and Mitch they can offer a great deal of assistance with everything. (Water Sports, Walking Tours etc.)

The service is very personalized to make sure you have an excellent visit. If you are visiting St Croix you want to go where the Locals go and The Palms is that place. If you need a Cab ask for Maurice.

3  Thank kob121
Reviewed 30 November 2013

We stayed here a week over Thanksgiving 2013 and this resort hotel is the most friendly and accommodating hotel we have ever experienced! The staff went out of their way to be helpful. The guest services director, Mitch, took us on an afternoon snorkel from the beach in the front of the hotel. We also went on the Thursday morning hike with Mitch, including a walk through an old sugar mill, and a visit to Miss Rita's home, where we tasted sugar cane and several local fruits, and a walk down the beach. Mitch is full of history and stories and information about the island. The food at the hotel is great. The bartenders were very attentive, especially Ocean and Rico. We were upgraded to a rooftop suite, with an incredible balcony overlooking the crashing waves and sandy beach. The always available taxi driver, Maurice, made us feel at home as well. Be sure to go to Caribbean Night on the property on Monday nights. And don't miss the night snorkel trip! We visited several other resorts on the island, and the Palms is hands down the very best in all categories. We also attended Jump Up with Mitch, on his day off. It was truly the highlight of our trip to have a local treat us like family. Thank you Mitch! (and Chuck!!)

Room Tip: Many (if not all) of the rooms face the ocean. If on the ground floor, just walk out of your room o...
1  Thank tulsacpa1234
Reviewed 20 November 2013

My wife and I travelled with our son to St Croix for the first time on Nov 9th - 18th, 2013. We were staying at another property on the other side of Christiansted from The Palms. We went there on Monday night for The Caribbean Night. First - you definitely need to go to this party. The shows are first rate and a lot of fun. If you have small children take them to see the Moko Jumbies... they will pick them up - great photo moment. Kiki's show is fun to watch as well.
We went back the next day to use the beach and everyone was very friendly and welcoming. Oshun at the bar was super friendly and makes a great Cruzan Confusion (ask her to substitute the Banana for the citrus - yum!) The snorkeling off the beach is great, inner and outer reef, so relatively calm water, great for my 6 year old. We had some issues with our gear and the great staff fixed out problems so we could have fun.
Definitely ask for Mitch if you want to know what is going on. He knows the reefs like the back of his hand and can tell you exactly where to go for the best snorkeling. He also does a night snorkeling trip that should be a must do on anyone's list. One of the top experiences on our trip.
The pool is first rate, the food is good and the bartenders and wait staff friendly and accommodating.
Next time we go to St Croix we are staying at the Palms without a doubt.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank Dov G
Reviewed 16 November 2013

When I was told that there was a 30 day cancellation policy, I was curious as to what type of place I was going to be at. *Note - I was not here for vacation so my view

The lobby seems typical for a Caribbean island. Open plan, lots of fans, comfy furiniture. Didn't find the reception friendly or mean - just average.

Ate in the restaurant. Dinner and breakfast were just ok. Really not many options if you don't want fried, unhealthy food. But that's been a typical experience in so many places in my travels. I was surprised that their Cobb salad was really good, since sometimes salads are awful in hotel restaurants.

Mitch seemed really great, and I can see why so many reviewers took to him. I'm sure he will provide you with a great experience. The other staff members were, again, average. Coming from Peter Island in Tortola, I thought the service was lacking, but that is probably because the employees at Peter Island are great at customer service.

The room was a disappointment to me, but again, typical of what I've experienced in the Caribbean. The smell of Tilex was so strong that I got a headache. The balcony had a view of the water which was pleasant. (Bring bug spray!) The bed was comfortable enough. Lots of decorative pillows...just wondering when they were cleaned last... Little ants running all over the bathroom counter but I dont think that can be avoided. Showere pressue was ok. Fridge in your room.

Wireless was bad. It kept cutting in and out. Since most visitors are on vacation, this matters little. However, if you have business to attend to you....you will need your patience to get it done.

In all, I'm not sure how many other options there are on this island. I would probably try another place before coming back here. And if I had come on vacation with my family, I think I would probably stay another place. Just not my cup of tea.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
5  Thank imari96
Albert48, Owner at The Palms at Pelican Cove, responded to this reviewResponded 31 March 2014

Thank you for choosing the Palms. We do have a posted 30 day cancellation policy on vacation packages, however we are flexible when unforeseen circumstances arise. Our dedicated hospitality team strives to provide five star service, however we do not advertise our resort as a five star industry rating. Our housekeeping staff pride themselves on keeping clean and fresh rooms. We have a regular pest control program, however the tiny sugar ants are common throughout the Caribbean and are masters at evading treatment. We provide the highest broadband available for our WiFi users, however sometimes guests will stream videos, etc. causing a slow down in service. We have many business visitors that enjoy their time here at the Palms and we always try and provide them with the services they require. Our restaurant provides a variety of menu choices including many egg items, yogurt, fruit and bakery items for breakfast, as well as many favorites. We offer daily meal specials in addition to our regular lunch and dinner items, which include many healthy choices. We hope you will return to the Palms for your next stay on St. Croix and allow us to provide you with a great stay with our family at the Palms.

Reviewed 12 November 2013

Had to go to the island for business. My wife came along the pelican was great. The restaurant has the best fries, everything else we ordered was good also. The rooms are decent but the patios are the best feature right on the beach with a great view from each one. The staff was friendly and caring.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Mrmech
Also consider these accommodations in or near Christiansted
Tamarind Reef Resort, Spa & Marina
The Buccaneer St Croix
The Buccaneer St Croix
#1 of 14 in Christiansted
Renaissance St. Croix Carambola Beach Resort & Spa

Been to The Palms at Pelican Cove? Share your experiences!